• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Mullets

GDT: 4-15 Wretched Scum & Villainy vs Detroit Red Wings

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

What a damn showing from this kid.   This is at or even slightly beyond our proposed ceiling for him isn’t it?  I can’t remember.  But my gosh how he’s came back this season, even when it wasn’t working for him he just kept at it.  Kids a beast.

I think his teammates love him too... Comphers interview with TT seemed to indicate that.

Edited by mackel

47 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Dylan Larkin is absolutely unbelievable too. Is there a better leader in the league?

Yah, he's gonna be a HOFer when done.  On his way to 1000 pt + career.  We are so close to having a decent team.  2 crappy defensemen to replace.  Just need Yzerman to have a good offseason.

Several those players are better overall players, but I'm not sure they're better leaders. None of them have had to play most of their careers on absolutely garbage teams. One of them isn't even in the league anymore. Another is famous for being a terrible leader and the guys on his team are a who's who of problem kids. At least two others consistently underperform expectations and have yet to really step up their play when it matters.

Of those guys I'd say Crosby, Barkov and Kopitar are better captains. I'd add MacKinnon to the list as well. Otherwise you've just listed better players, not better leaders.

11 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Several those players are better overall players, but I'm not sure they're better leaders. None of them have had to play most of their careers on absolutely garbage teams. One of them isn't even in the league anymore. Another is famous for being a terrible leader and the guys on his team are a who's who of problem kids. At least two others consistently underperform expectations and have yet to really step up their play when it matters.

Of those guys I'd say Crosby, Barkov and Kopitar are better captains. I'd add MacKinnon to the list as well. Otherwise you've just listed better players, not better leaders.

I forgot your boy Jamie Benn.

Also, is MacKinnon basically the de-facto captain of the Avalanche?  He's technically not a captain.  

And who are the problem kids?  

8 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

I forgot your boy Jamie Benn.

Also, is MacKinnon basically the de-facto captain of the Avalanche?  He's technically not a captain.  

And who are the problem kids?  

Well, I definitely said "better leaders" and not just better captains...so I'm counting MacKinnon.

The "problem kids" was in reference of Ovi, Semin, Kuznetsov, Vrana, Ethan Bear, etc. Until Barry Trotz was hired there were very serious calls for Ovi to be stripped of his captaincy by the Washington fans. He famously didn't give a sh*t. Any insinuation that he's been a great leader is WAY off the mark.

I think Matthew Tkachuk is a quality leader as well and really exemplifies the "do or die, anything to win" attitude I'd way from my leadership group. My point was that there are plenty of good leaders in the league, and Dylan Larkin is amongst the very best. The guy was dealt a pretty sh*tty hand of cards for most of his career and it would be easy to understand if he demanded a trade or just stopped caring. Instead he committed to the team by signing a max deal, worked his tail off to become a more complete player, plays through injuries, plays in all situations, and never takes a shift off.

I absolutely love the guy.