• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (TNBT @ September 8, 2005 - 09:24PM)
I'm loving this guy already!

I just read this report of the Wings first game of the prospect camp:

"The Red Wings won their first game of prospect camp against the Minnesota Wild with an exciting 4-1 victory.

It was a hard-hitting game with one fight in the third period between Detroit’s tryout, Robin Big Snake, and Minnesota’s 2005 draft pick, Riley Emmerson."

He can't even play ONE game without getting into a fight! Holland, get this kid signed up N-O-W!!!

That's not even the half of it.
user posted image

That guy laying on the ice is 6'8" 230+lbs. Big Snake is 6' and shy of 220lbs.

peace

Posted Image

#22 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:36 PM

That guy laying on the ice is 6'8" 230+lbs. Big Snake is 6' and shy of 220lbs.

peace

I was laughing at that picture earlier today, and heard it was a draw, but certainly doesn't look like it. Even if it was, it's impressive. 8 inches is a huge reach to give up.

#23 TNBT

TNBT

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:38 AM

This just keeps getting better and better.

Not only is he a fighter, but he's taking down guys who have 8 inches and over 10 pounds on him? Let's get his ass into a Wings jersey as soon as possible.

#24 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:11 AM

How old is he?

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#25 Hatcher#2

Hatcher#2

Know Your Role

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE (Aussie_Wing @ September 9, 2005 - 05:11AM)
How old is he?

He is only 21, and going with that picture of the fight it looks far from a draw to me, the other guy is face down in the ice.

The wings lost 5-4 to atlanta last night and Big Snake had another fight. Redwings central doesn't have the game recap up yet.

Edited by Hatcher#2, 09 September 2005 - 04:47 AM.

"Wanna go pretty boy" Carl Racki

#26 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (Hatcher#2 @ September 9, 2005 - 05:45AM)
He is only 21

That's all I needed to know. Sign him NOW! thumbup.gif

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#27 Darrell

Darrell

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:56 AM

From what I heard, the two guys landed on the ice together. They got Big Snake untangled first, and at the time the pic was taken I'd guess Big Snake popped up first and Emmerson shortly afterward.

Considering he fought a guy 8 inches taller than him, and did it to stop incessant goading, I am very encouraged by this. Big Snake and Herring seem to be the two hired guns for camp/exhibition season, but Big Snake I think might actually have a shot at a contract. He has the willingness, and even skated on the first line some according to Lindy's box score. We need Big Snake to pop in a few goals and really prove he is more than a fighter.

In my mind, Big Snake has 2 fights, but Herring has 1 goal. That would give the initial edge to Herring, but Big Snake was skating on that first line for a reason. Either to protect, or because he showed enough speed to keep up with the 1st liners and also give them a little breathing room.

#28 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:25 AM

More fights in the game vs Atlanta. One more for Big Snake and one for Jorgensen. Anyone care to share some info?
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#29 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:29 AM

How would Big Snake be compared to McCarty in skills?

Because I have a feeling he might be his replacement
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#30 WingMan56

WingMan56

Kronwall owns you

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Rivalred @ September 9, 2005 - 10:29AM)
How would Big Snake be compared to McCarty in skills?

Because I have a feeling he might be his replacement

Maybe after 2 years in the AHL....

Redwingscentral.com's report of the game says Big Snake was given chances to show his skills other than fighting, but failed to impress. So hopefully he gets on the scoresheet or picks it up in the last couple games.

Edited by WingMan56, 09 September 2005 - 12:03 PM.

#31 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (theman19 @ September 8, 2005 - 06:22PM)
sounds like the second comming of bob probert,.........do i dare?

that, or the second coming of Sean Avery.
There's no place like Hockeytown.

#32 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

I hope Big Snake can get some points, because he won't get a contract by beating it out of somebody. Jorgensen sounds pretty good, as does Himelfarb.

#33 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ September 9, 2005 - 01:44PM)
I hope Big Snake can get some points, because he won't get a contract by beating it out of somebody. Jorgensen sounds pretty good, as does Himelfarb.

I know we know about him, but Filppula sure has been impressive. I think we have a special talent on our hands...

#34 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Aussie_Wing @ September 9, 2005 - 01:00PM)
I know we know about him, but Filppula sure has been impressive. I think we have a special talent on our hands...

Filppula, who one Red Wings scout called a “combination between Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg,�

Posted Image

#35 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:25 PM

From what I've read, he didn't do too well in the first game, but obviously in the second he looked alot better. McGrath seems to be doing well too.

#36 fightfan24

fightfan24

Enforcer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ September 9, 2005 - 01:44PM)

My only problem with Jorgenson is that he is only 5'10 at best -- a gamer though.

Big Snake may be a Kris King type player which is always nice to have. He looks like he could get alot bigger too. Sign him and let him develop for a season in a half with a few call ups...

#37 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ September 9, 2005 - 02:23PM)

http://www.allsports...pectsWatch.html

Yup.

peace

Thanks for the links.

'Filppula has worked hard to improve his strength and — if he stays in Finland next season — could put up some huge numbers in 2005-06'. So beacuse of the new CBA, we had to sign him or lose him? Therefore he's playing in GR. Is that correct?

#38 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (Aussie_Wing @ September 9, 2005 - 01:40PM)
Thanks for the links.

'Filppula has worked hard to improve his strength and — if he stays in Finland next season — could put up some huge numbers in 2005-06'. So beacuse of the new CBA, we had to sign him or lose him? Therefore he's playing in GR. Is that correct?

We didn't have to sign him to keep from losing him, no. I believe pre-CBA European draftees were given a 4 year buffer (those drafted in '05 need to be signed in 2 years like everyone else). Management just felt he was ready to come to the AHL after his stepping up in the playoffs.

peace

Posted Image

#39 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ September 9, 2005 - 02:52PM)
We didn't have to sign him to keep from losing him, no. I believe pre-CBA European draftees were given a 4 year buffer (those drafted in '05 need to be signed in 2 years like everyone else). Management just felt he was ready to come to the AHL after his stepping up in the playoffs.

peace

Ah no problems thanks.

#40 J-Swift

J-Swift

Clutch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:20 PM

Although a young enforcer is really kinda something this team needs, I'm not a big fan of Big Snake; as I said before, I've seen him play. Seems like a bit of a punk to me; face washing and shoving opposing players after the whistle. He was in the penalty box more than once when I saw him, and it wasn't just for fighting. Big Snake is a player noted for off-ice problems, and unless he shows he can compete with at least the rest of the NHL's prospects, I really don't want him on this team.