• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BerkeleyWingsFan19

Sheryl Swoopes

Rate this topic

I got to thinking after I read that Sheryl Swoopes came out today, what might a hockey player, perhaps even a high-profile one go through if he were to come out? While I'm heterosexual myself, I fully support whatever lifestyle people choose and I'm impressed with the courage Swoopes has shown. I don't think it would be as easy for a hockey player to come out though, in a sport where many still consider those who wear visors to be "*******". What do you all think on the matter? Would you think any less of Stevie Y if he turned out to be ***? (I think he's married, but just for example).

Male athletes in any sport would be ostracized, if not outright hurt, by teammates immediately after coming out. I'm not sure if you're familiar with his story, but an ex-NFL player named Esera Tuaolo described what happened when he came out (he was already retired). He claimed (and others agree) that an NFL athlete who came out would be cast off like a black sheep from the team, and he'd probably take enough physical abuse during practices that he'd have to quit.

The fact that a woman can come out like this doesn't mean that we're any closer to a male athlete coming out. Pro athletes are usually not very smart. If you expect them to be at the vanguard of fixing social problems, you're going to end up disappointed an awful lot.

I could care less if any player came out and said he was ***. That's his personal life, got nothing to do with the game.

unfortunately, that comment is the opinion by the minority.

Sports is such a important fabric in an American life. The country as a whole is homophobic and want their athletes to be pure, even tho they are not. If a male athlete came out as *** in baseball, football, basketball or hockey....and was currently playing, that player would receive so much abuse, death threats, ostrasized to the point of quiting.

The fact that a female athlete came out, has little impact on sports.

Male athletes in any sport would be ostracized, if not outright hurt, by teammates immediately after coming out. I'm not sure if you're familiar with his story, but an ex-NFL player named Esera Tuaolo described what happened when he came out (he was already retired). He claimed (and others agree) that an NFL athlete who came out would be cast off like a black sheep from the team, and he'd probably take enough physical abuse during practices that he'd have to quit.

The fact that a woman can come out like this doesn't mean that we're any closer to a male athlete coming out. Pro athletes are usually not very smart. If you expect them to be at the vanguard of fixing social problems, you're going to end up disappointed an awful lot.

Well put.

Of course there are plenty of *** pro athletes - male and female. However, in some parts of American society, it is not "acceptable" to come out. I think this includes the world of team sports. Most macho male athletes are rather uncomfortable (and vocally so) to homosexuals. There is also the issue that for a man to admit he's *** causes a lot of people to think they are weak, weird, or "not masculine" (all of which is just silly IMO). They assume if someone is ***, they are going to be sexually attracted to every man, which is also incorrect.

I think most pro athletes - particularly men on team sports - will stay in the closet for years to come. They want to protect not only their safety, but their "brand" - they have to appear strong, masculine, and powerful for respect in the team, and to land their lucrative marketing deals. It's really too bad that our society still generally holds male athletes to the standard that they have to be womanizing heterosexuals in order to be "acceptable".

(You're right, BM, thank goodness that we aren't relying on athletes to lead social change! LOL)

Edited by Muse

I couldn't care less whether an athlete is *** or not. I think it's sad that people of that age (and any age for that matter!) still carry these homophobic beliefs. I still remember what Garrison Hearst said a couple years back about *** athletes, and I'm still saddened by that. (He basically said that he didn't want any *ahem* "non-heterosexuals" on his team.)

Sheesh...hopefully there isn't any backlash against Sheryl Swoopes for what she did...that was very brave indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if she did get a lot of crap, though...-_-

I'd like to come out right now....I'm not not ***. Shew, I feel so much better now that everyone knows I'm heterosexual!

OK, end sarcasm. If someone wants to be ***, then by all means, be *** all day long, I don't care. I just don't see the point in coming out and making announcements. Should all the players that aren't *** come and say as much? No. Sexual preference has nothing to do with the sport. If homosexuals' want to be treated the same, maybe they should start acting the same (by that I mean there's no need to announce your sex life).

Women don't care as much about other women being *** - or sharing a lockerroom with them. Don't jump on me guys, but male athletes are less likely to tolerate an openly *** teammate in the lockerroom. It will probably change someday, but not soon. Being *** has nothing to do with your job as a professional athlete, I don't see how using sports as a forum for announcing one's homo (or hetero) sexuality helps anyone's cause....

Lesbians in the WNBA??? Surely you jest. Next thing someone will be saying that there's lesbians playing softball.

And, for the record. I will be holding my press conference tomorrow at one, to announce that I do in fact like women.

Lesbians in the WNBA??? Surely you jest. Next thing someone will be saying that there's lesbians playing softball.

And, for the record. I will be holding my press conference tomorrow at one, to announce that I do in fact like women.

...or pro Tennis...

You guys seriously think that if she just started showing up places with her girlfriend, her sexuality would be a non-issue? like it wouldn't make headlines?

let's not be naive.

Especially when we're talking about athletes. They share lockerrooms, hotel rooms on the road. Not to mention that there have been few openly *** athletes in sports.

It's not like they're just shouting it out there and no one cares. For whatever reason, the general public is fixated on the sexuality of famous people.

Celebrities and athletes usually announce they are *** as a pre-emptive strike.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

i think it would be irony out the cosmic rear end (no pun intented) if one of the nhl's premier tough guys came out of the closet. Could you imagine what leaf's nation would say if domi showed up to a game and told a report he was ***.

One of these days, there will be an athlete who comes out, makes a big media announcement of it, and the Jackie Robinson comparisons will begin. All the columnists will gush about what a courageous move it was to come out. Spare me.

And by the way, the Sheryl Swoopes thing isn't making waves....not because she's a woman and it's somehow more acceptable for lesbians than gays, but because nobody really gives a flying rip about the WNBA.

If it were ok for a Hockey Player to come out of the closet Sean Avery would have done it already just to have more stupid s**t to say to players on the ice or the media.

Ok, that is hilarious! thumbup.gif

(Seriously, I agree with Haroldsnepsts. People are fascinated by the sexuality of the rich & famous. For some reason, there is an entire industry of media covering who is dating whom -*** or straight. Personally, I don't care less who Jennifer Aniston, Tom Cruise or Sheryl Swoopes date. I do support their right to not have to publically hide when they're out on a date or in a serious relationship, as the entertainment media will pounce on it - especially if they can spin it into exciting "news".)