• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingfanatic4alltime

Jimmy Howard

Rate this topic

Jimmy Howard Named AHL Player of the Week

The American Hockey League announced today that Grand Rapids Griffins goaltender Jimmy Howard has been named the CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending March 19, 2006.

Howard was a perfect 4-0-0 in four appearances last week with a 1.46 goals-against average and .943 save percentage as the Griffins continued to close in on a North Division championship.

Very nice. Keep it going.

As far as I'm concerned, the important thing is that Howard is starting next year, whether he's in Detroit or Grand Rapids. He's the future in goal for the Wings, so we need to make sure that he's getting as much experience as possible.

I'm starting to think that we're only going to be able to keep one of Osgood and Legace, so if Howard is to come up to the Wings next season that I would expect whichever of the two we keep to back him up. If Howard isn't ready, then whichever one we keep should start, with Liv, MacDonald or MacIntyre backing him up. That would leave Howard to start in Grand Rapids, with one of Liv, MacDonald or MacIntyre to back Howard up.

From OSS:

The reigning CCM/Vector AHL Player of the Week, Jimmy Howard, continued his strong play with a 27-save performance leading the Griffins to a 4-1 win over the Barons on Thursday night.

The second period was all about goaltending as Grand Rapids' rookie netminder, Jimmy Howard, made 15-saves on the way to his ninth consecutive victory. With Howard providing the big stops, the Griffins produced the period's only goals on the power play. Eric Manlow and Terry Virtue extended the visitor's lead to 3-1 through forty minutes. Manlow's goal, his 19th of the season, gave Grand Rapids their first lead of the evening at 4:59 of the second period. Virtue's goal came with 2:45 remaining, his first in a Griffins uniform this year. The Barons dominated the period out-shooting Grand Rapids 15-7 in the middle frame but could not beat the first-year netminder out of the University of Maine.

MLive:

Jimmy Howard turns 22 today and he's celebrating the finest game of his rookie season.

Howard made a career-high 40 saves Saturday night for his franchise-record 10th consecutive win and the Grand Rapids Griffins used a late rally to beat the Rochester Americans 4-1 at Van Andel Arena.

Pressure games in the spring are nothing new for Howard, who is 9-0 in March and has one regulation-time loss in his last 22 appearances. He played in the 2004 NCAA national championship game for Maine before turning pro last summer.

"I feel comfortable and I'm confident," Howard said. "It's a fun time of year. Spring means the playoffs are just around the corner. You're building for the playoffs and it's the time when you want to start to peak. But you don't want to peak too early."

P.S. Happy 22nd!

legace is not a great goalie, he'd only good because he has good defence

if any teaM (Toronto) think's he will carry their team (like belfour and Cujo) are extremely stupid, just look at what roloson is doing in edmonton

note: liv won't be the backup (he'd have to earn it in preseaon), their are enough s***ty goalie UFA's in NHL at present that would kill to play behind a good detroit defence, osgood is the perfect example of a goalie that plays all the easy games with a great defense and numbers are alright, he could get a decent contract next year with another team because of this

Howard's numbers are awfully good, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Wings took their time grooming him for the number one job. With a few exceptions, the new NHL isn't exactly kind on young goalies.

The Wings might not have many other options, though. If Legace tests free agency, a team like Toronto could probably outbid the Wings.

Howard's numbers are awfully good, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Wings took their time grooming him for the number one job. With a few exceptions, the new NHL isn't exactly kind on young goalies.

Howard has said he's in no hurry to take over the starting job, and I don't see the Wings rushing him up to the NHL.

Jimmy Howard should NOT be in Detroit next year. I've seen all the games he has played in Grand Rapids this year, and it wasn't until very recently that he's started to look comfortable and confident. Yes, it's a great sign that he's showing that the hype was correct, but it in no way means he's ready to step into the NHL. He's played something like 35-40 games and he only just recently broke the .900 sv % plateau. His record is more idicative of the team that's playing in front of him (see Osgood, Legace). But I will admit that he saved the Griffin's *sses in the last 3 games or so and salvaged wins for them. The start to this season was rocky for him and took him a LONG time to get comfortable. He needs another full season in the AHL before he's ready.

legace is not a great goalie, he'd only good because he has good defence

if any teaM (Toronto) think's he will carry their team (like belfour and Cujo) are extremely stupid, just look at what roloson is doing in edmonton

note: liv won't be the backup (he'd have to earn it in preseaon), their are enough s***ty goalie UFA's in NHL at present that would kill to play behind a good detroit defence, osgood is the perfect example of a goalie that plays all the easy games with a great defense and numbers are alright, he could get a decent contract next year with another team because of this

Legace will get at least one huge offer, especially if he ends up as a Vezina nomination which, although unlikely, is possible with his solid numbers.

Liv is easily the most NHL-ready goaltender the Wings have in the system. If he's not the backup, that means either Howard is starting or we have two vets on staff. The only way the latter happens is if both goalies return. The only way the former happens is if Howard proves he's ready beyond a shadow of a doubt. There's no need to rush him into the job, so why should it be done?

I'd be perfectly happy keeping Osgood and Liv as the tandem, and using the savings to get the defensive upgrade that has been needed since Fischer went down. Even with big bodies like Kindl and Kolosov in the system...there is nobody who can replace from within everything Fischer brought to the team. At the top of that list, naturally, are Redden and Chara. Especially in the event of a long run, I'd gladly lock up as much of the current regulars, minus one or two easily replaceable players, as well as obviously those who retie if any, as possible before July, sign all prospects who still hold solid value and are nearing deadline and/or have a good shot at being on the team next year, and see where the payroll is and what holes need filling, and go from there.

I'm interested to know what sort of CAREER potential people around here see Howard as having?

I know we all generally consider him the future in net for Detroit, but do people see him as being a quality starting goalie (eg. Kolzig) or are people seeing him as more of a franchise guy (eg. Brodeur/Luongo)?

I'm interested to know what sort of CAREER potential people around here see Howard as having?

I know we all generally consider him the future in net for Detroit, but do people see him as being a quality starting goalie (eg. Kolzig) or are people seeing him as more of a franchise guy (eg. Brodeur/Luongo)?

Franchise type. If he can get the game he had in the NCAA up to NHL speed he'll be great. Big, athletic, very steady and a big game goalie. He has crazy potential. Now he just needs to grow into the pro game. His current stretch in the AHL is amazing. 12 straight wins now with an OT win tonight.

peace

Franchise type. If he can get the game he had in the NCAA up to NHL speed he'll be great. Big, athletic, very steady and a big game goalie. He has crazy potential. Now he just needs to grow into the pro game. His current stretch in the AHL is amazing. 12 straight wins now with an OT win tonight.

peace

That's what I was hoping to hear.

I guess now it's all a matter of learning the pro game and getting experience, and if his current play in the AHL is anything to go by, then he's learning at a rapid pace.

Didn't look so good yesterday. Gave up 4 goals on 16 shots and looked okay but not as good as he looked in March during his 11-0 stretch. Has likely played a lot and needs a breather.

Griffins couldn't score a PP goal and lost 4-2 to the Moose.

I could see the Wings keeping Legace and have Liv back him up next year. Then in 08 have a tandem of Howard/Liv. Plus your dead on eva it would save some bank by going with Osgood so we could add a massive upgrade on D. But man, Ozzie is no starter in this NHL. He's shaky even with Wings D. He's gotta be let go after this season, or traded for some super late round pick come draft day.

I think Legace will stay another year atleast without Detroit having to break the bank. He'll have to choose to take less money and play on a team that has a very good chance at winning the cup each year......or, get more money and play for a team like Toronto, and have a lesser shot at winning a cup. I'll bank on him staying in Detroit. Not everyone is out to get rich every year...look at Shanny's numbers and he's making WELL below market value of a 30-40 goal scorer.

I think Legace will stay another year atleast without Detroit having to break the bank. He'll have to choose to take less money and play on a team that has a very good chance at winning the cup each year......or, get more money and play for a team like Toronto, and have a lesser shot at winning a cup. I'll bank on him staying in Detroit. Not everyone is out to get rich every year...look at Shanny's numbers and he's making WELL below market value of a 30-40 goal scorer.

There is an ever so slight difference between a guy taking a cut for another kick at the Cup after many years of $6-7-8M contracts and a guy taking a sweetheart deal for a shot at the Cup after many years of backup wages. Granted he was a well-paid backup at $1M+ but chump change for an NHL starter.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Manny to cash in on his many hard years of toiling behind the big money guys. I don't think a better chance at a Cup is going to counter he and his family being financially set for life. He can get $3-4M/yr easy out on the market with his numbers. And that would break Detroit's bank. Don't forget Manny was one of the more vocal anti-cap guys in the 'PA.

peace

All I have to say is Martin Lapointe. His career took a dump after he left Detroit. How much you wanna bet if he had to do it all over again he would've taken what Detroit was offering and been alot happier here going after Championships every year. If I was the Wings i'd wait until after the playoffs to give Legace a decent contract.

All I have to say is Martin Lapointe. His career took a dump after he left Detroit. How much you wanna bet if he had to do it all over again he would've taken what Detroit was offering and been alot happier here going after Championships every year. If I was the Wings i'd wait until after the playoffs to give Legace a decent contract.

Isn't Lapointe still younger then than Manny is now? Manny could be looking at the end of the line coming before too long. Legace may very well see this as his last big contract opportunity. Lapointe was only 28 at the time he left. He knew full well there would be more paydays down the road.

peace

Isn't Lapointe still younger then than Manny is now? Manny could be looking at the end of the line coming before too long. Legace may very well see this as his last big contract opportunity. Lapointe was only 28 at the time he left. He knew full well there would be more paydays down the road.

peace

very true...I give him props he capitalized on the Bs and Hawks. Wait Im interested in and cannot wait too see is what will happen with all the RFAs and UFAs that did what he did. What sort of deals will the market give them and what not.