• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey0382

College Football

Rate this topic

Well, we can both take solace in the fact that Mr. Wonderful, Brady Quinn, lost his fourth and final bowl game. Ho hum. Now JaMarcus Russel, there's a QB I can get behind. Big, powerful arm, accurate, he looks like he's got all the tools.

I'm a pretty big LSU fan.

I went to one LSU game this year. Granted it was Mississippi State they played against, so a win was all but assured, but he was still insane that game. 18-20 I think for 330 yards and 3 TDs.

He does have all the physical tools. He sometimes makes bonehead plays though, largely from being so confident in his skills and having some arrogance. That's not completely a bad thing, but you can't always fit a square peg in a round hole.

Russell is also a respectable scrambler for his size. That's not going to be his #1 attack obviously, if you saw his last TD pass of the Sugar Bowl to Brandon Lafell when he chucked it 50 yards while ON THE RUN, you know he has a ridiculous cannon. He can scramble around if necessary though.

Russell is also a respectable scrambler for his size. That's not going to be his #1 attack obviously, if you saw his last TD pass of the Sugar Bowl to Brandon Lafell when he chucked it 50 yards while ON THE RUN, you know he has a ridiculous cannon. He can scramble around if necessary though.

Oh yeah, I saw it. That was some insane stuff. Just a flick of his wrist and the damn ball's halfway down the field.

Win a national title of your own before you start hatin' on ours.

According to the College Football Data Warehouse, Michigan State has 3 recognized national championships. Michigan has 7, although really, it should be 6.5 :sly:

To be fair, as much as I hate the Wolverines, they should have been sole National Champs in 1997. The parting gift for the Nebraska coach shows why there needs to be a playoff...

They never will.....

WOW!!! What a comeback. Piling on the Spartans and calling them a bad football team is like saying to the Lions "HEY LIONS, YOU SUCK". Tell me something I don't know already. While Michigan is trying to win national championships, Michigan State is just trying to get pass Indiana in the Big Ten.

I am actually disappointed in you Michigan fans. I thought you would response back more than you did against my "co-national championship" comment. :nonono:

I am actually disappointed in you Michigan fans. I thought you would response back more than you did against my "co-national championship" comment. :nonono:

I'll take Co-Nat. Championships over nothing anyday of the week.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

I'll take Co-Nat. Championships over nothing anyday of the week.

Funny. Michigan didn't seem to want a Co-National Championship when they prepared to play USC in the Rose Bowl. A Gator win in the National Championship game could have sparked "co-national championship" talk for this year again.

Guest ZetterBurger40

Funny. Michigan didn't seem to want a Co-National Championship when they prepared to play USC in the Rose Bowl. A Gator win in the National Championship game could have sparked "co-national championship" talk for this year again.

Good Point. Regarding the co-natl' championship if Florida wins..SCREW THAT! If the Gators beat OSU, they deserve it to themselves. A co-natl' championship would be just as ridiculous as UM playing in the big game. If you were talking about a split between Boise St. and Florida, it might not be so bad of an idea.

Good Point. Regarding the co-natl' championship if Florida wins..SCREW THAT! If the Gators beat OSU, they deserve it to themselves. A co-natl' championship would be just as ridiculous as UM playing in the big game. If you were talking about a split between Boise St. and Florida, it might not be so bad of an idea.

Boise State loses out based on their poor conference. They would have a shot had they been in the PAC-10 like they very well could be if the PAC-10 decides to add 2 more teams (likely Idaho and Boise State) and have a conference championship game.

You can't say Michigan "didn't want it". Thats garbage. They wanted it with all their hearts...they just didn't show up to play, got out coached, and out played. Thats like me saying MSU didn't seem to want to go to a bowl game....

If Michigan would have won along with FLA I would not want a co-national champ. Why should U-M have the right to share the NC when FLA beat the team that beat U-M? That wouldn't make sense.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

You can't say Michigan "didn't want it". Thats garbage. They wanted it with all their hearts...they just didn't show up to play, got out coached, and out played. Thats like me saying MSU didn't seem to want to go to a bowl game....

If Michigan would have won along with FLA I would not want a co-national champ. Why should U-M have the right to share the NC when FLA beat the team that beat U-M? That wouldn't make sense.

Even if there was a slightest chance of a split in a National Championship, dont you think Michigan would have prepared better. Carr gets outcoached a lot and THATS THE PROBLEM. Carr needs to win a Big Ten Title, maybe even a National Championship next year to keep his job secure.

Don't tell me your still pissed off at the 2005 Alamo Bowl game. Give it up!!

When, on the last play of the game, one team has the ball and is running it upfield for what would be a game-winning touchdown--making it most of the way--and the other team's ENTIRE ROSTER comes on the field, preventing the game-changing score, and NOTHING is called...it's justifiable to be pissed off for a WHILE.

As I said then...Sun Belt referees are a joke. Two major-conference schools...why not get major-conference referees? I'm sure an SEC or ACC ref would not have had a 'potential conference bias'....

As I said then...Sun Belt referees are a joke. Two major-conference schools...why not get major-conference referees? I'm sure an SEC or ACC ref would not have had a 'potential conference bias'....

It wasn't a major bowl game. The Alamo Bowl is a game in which you reflect back on and think "remember when those schools were good". Hence this year, Texas vs Iowa. If I just take a moment and think back....yup...remember when Texas was good and had Vince Young.....damn it feels like forever.

It wasn't a major bowl game. The Alamo Bowl is a game in which you reflect back on and think "remember when those schools were good". Hence this year, Texas vs Iowa. If I just take a moment and think back....yup...remember when Texas was good and had Vince Young.....damn it feels like forever.

There are 65 major-conference schools.

Say on any given day during the conference season, every one of those teams is playing a conference opponent, save for one Big Ten team.

That means that you have to have 32 teams worth of officials at the major conference level.

Coincidentally, there are 32 bowls on the schedule this year.

Bowls should be major-conference referees only. The manpower is there, the precedent for bad calls by mid-major refs is there.

3 of my roomies left for Glendale today...only 2 more days! GO BUCKS!

And why aren't you with them??!!

Even if there was a slightest chance of a split in a National Championship, dont you think Michigan would have prepared better. Carr gets outcoached a lot and THATS THE PROBLEM. Carr needs to win a Big Ten Title, maybe even a National Championship next year to keep his job secure.

Carr doesnt get out coached that much, and his job will never be in jepordy with Martin being the AD. He has got out coached by Carrol every time though, and Tressel a few times (not every time though).

Did anyone watch future U-M QB Ryan Mallett in the Army game? Wow! He is going to be a stud!

USC kicker found dead! How horrible....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2722825

Carr doesnt get out coached that much, and his job will never be in jepordy with Martin being the AD. He has got out coached by Carrol every time though, and Tressel a few times (not every time though).

Carr doesn't get outcoached that often because most of the time he can go with his plan and it works. Ram the ball down the other teams throat and overpower them with Michigan's talent. Carr's problem is he's stubborn and often doesn't make adjustments when he needs to, at least against the teams that match up to UM talent wise. Look at the comments from USC players after the game. They said they knew exactly what UM was going to do.

That being said, I have a lot of respect for Carr. He runs a clean program, graduates his athletes, and seems to genuinely care about his players. Really, there need to be more guys in college football like him.

Carr doesn't get outcoached that often because most of the time he can go with his plan and it works. Ram the ball down the other teams throat and overpower them with Michigan's talent. Carr's problem is he's stubborn and often doesn't make adjustments when he needs to, at least against the teams that match up to UM talent wise. Look at the comments from USC players after the game. They said they knew exactly what UM was going to do.

Your 110% right. You hit it right on the money. It's exactly what I think as well...

You got a couple grand I can borrow?

I would, but I'm a poor college student like yourself :D

That being said, I have a lot of respect for Carr. He runs a clean program, graduates his athletes, and seems to genuinely care about his players. Really, there need to be more guys in college football like him.

The problem is that USC did two things;

Defended Michigan's zone blocking schemes well, limiting Mike Hart's effectiveness.

Achieved penetration on passing plays, limiting Henne and Manningham.

Ultimately both came down to USC's defensive line, and their ability to overpower Michigan's offensive line. Michigan would likely have won in spite of that, except that Michigan had no answer for sure-handed hulk Dwayne Jarrett. Jarrett was the deciding factor in that game--if he hadn't played, Michigan would have won a tight, defensive contest.

So now, according to Eva, UM was 4 points away from being national champions and 1 player away from from a Rose Bowl win.

I love the what if game.

If MSU had beaten ND this year, they would have beaten Illinois and rolled into Ann Arbor 5-0, and full of confidence. Since UM often has trouble against the spread and mobile quarterbacks, I have no doubt that this would finally be the year that Stanton beats Michigan. With the Spartans 6-0, the game against OSU would have been filled with Spartan fans instead of Buckeye fans. Seeing all their fans there, instead of a sea of red inside Spartan Stadium (I was there, it as close to half OSU fans) would have given the Spartans the edge they needed to beat OSU.

Once they knocked off OSU, John L, realizing he has a chance to save his job and become a hero in Spartanville, wins the rest of his games, including the end of the season in Happy Valley, a traditional loss. After going undefeated and winning the Big 10, the Spartans play Florida for the National Championship, and no doubt beat them. After all, they've knocked off UM and OSU.

But in conclusion, MSU was only one game away (Notre Dame) from the National Championship.

So now, according to Eva, UM was 4 points away from being national champions and 1 player away from from a Rose Bowl win.

I love the what if game.

If MSU had beaten ND this year, they would have beaten Illinois and rolled into Ann Arbor 5-0, and full of confidence. Since UM often has trouble against the spread and mobile quarterbacks, I have no doubt that this would finally be the year that Stanton beats Michigan. With the Spartans 6-0, the game against OSU would have been filled with Spartan fans instead of Buckeye fans. Seeing all their fans there, instead of a sea of red inside Spartan Stadium (I was there, it as close to half OSU fans) would have given the Spartans the edge they needed to beat OSU.

Once they knocked off OSU, John L, realizing he has a chance to save his job and become a hero in Spartanville, wins the rest of his games, including the end of the season in Happy Valley, a traditional loss. After going undefeated and winning the Big 10, the Spartans play Florida for the National Championship, and no doubt beat them. After all, they've knocked off UM and OSU.

But in conclusion, MSU was only one game away (Notre Dame) from the National Championship.

Had Michigan scored 4 more points against Ohio State, they would have matched up against Florida, a significantly weaker opponent that Michigan matches up against FAR better than the one they matched up against--Michigan would have beaten Florida the way USC beat Michigan. Also, Michigan would not have had the disadvantage of having to travel while their opponent does not.

As for the going into the UM game with confidence thing....didn't Michigan State do that in 2005? Yeah, how did that game go? Or the ones before it?

Even if MSU had beaten Notre Dame....Michigan would still have beaten them.