• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Detroit Lions, NFL 2006 Season Thread

Rate this topic

IMO, No. 2 is just too high for Thomas. If the Lions trade down, sure, but he's no Brick.

Calvin Johnson, baby! Roy, Calvin and Furrey in the slot. We won't be able to get the ball to any of them, but damn, come on! :lol:

/not serious, though Calvin is a freakin' stud

IMO, No. 2 is just too high for Thomas. If the Lions trade down, sure, but he's no Brick.

Calvin Johnson, baby! Roy, Calvin and Furrey in the slot. We won't be able to get the ball to any of them, but damn, come on! :lol:

/not serious, though Calvin is a freakin' stud

Would you want Brady Quinn if he came to #2. He certainly is deserving of being #2 pick overall over Thomas. I am not sure who the Lions would trade down with and why. Maybe if Calvin Johnson does well in the combine, his stock will go up and a team that needs just 1 good WR will make the move to trade for the Lions pick. A team like the Eagles for example that maybe are 1 good WR away from the super bowl.

Here's what im thinking right now for the top 5:

1)Oakland- QB JaMarcus Russell

2) Detroit - DE Gaines Adams

3) Cleveland - RB Adrian Peterson

4) Tampa Bay - DT Alan Branch (doesnt matter who wins the coin flip)

5) Arizona - OT Joe Thomas

Im not really sure what Oakland is gonna do. On one hand they obviously could use Russell, but on another Randy Moss is demanding trade which opens up a possible scenario to trade down and then take Calvin Johnson to replace him. However, taking Russell will actually improve their team immediately, as he could step in right away and be better than Brooks and Walter. Taking Johnson still really wouldnt solve anything for the short term unless they could find a QB via free agency. Im starting to convince myself that Gaines Adams to Detroit is a lock. I just have that feel with the whole Marinelli/D-line connection that this will be "his" pick. Peterson to Cleveland just seems like a no brainer...and an even bigger no brainer is Thomas to Arizona if he's still on the board. Branch to Tampa is more of less a guess, im sure theyll go D though.

I see Brady Quinn going at #7 to Minnesota. The Vikes HAVE to make that pick..

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Here's what im thinking right now for the top 5:

1)Oakland- QB JaMarcus Russell

2) Detroit - DE Gaines Adams

3) Cleveland - RB Adrian Peterson

4) Tampa Bay - DT Alan Branch (doesnt matter who wins the coin flip)

5) Arizona - OT Joe Thomas

Im not really sure what Oakland is gonna do. On one hand they obviously could use Russell, but on another Randy Moss is demanding trade which opens up a possible scenario to trade down and then take Calvin Johnson to replace him. However, taking Russell will actually improve their team immediately, as he could step in right away and be better than Brooks and Walter. Taking Johnson still really wouldnt solve anything for the short term unless they could find a QB via free agency. Im starting to convince myself that Gaines Adams to Detroit is a lock. I just have that feel with the whole Marinelli/D-line connection that this will be "his" pick. Peterson to Cleveland just seems like a no brainer...and an even bigger no brainer is Thomas to Arizona if he's still on the board. Branch to Tampa is more of less a guess, im sure theyll go D though.

I see Brady Quinn going at #7 to Minnesota. The Vikes HAVE to make that pick..

All your picks make perfect sense, but I can't see Thomas going that low. I don't think Alan Branch will be top 5, but I would be shocked if he slipped outside the top 10. Quinn to the Browns could also be a popular pick..hes from that area, and Clevland needs a QB to throw to Edwards and Winslow (the F-- SOLDIER!) I don't think Mareneli will draft a "star" he showed that by not taking Leinart. He wants all the "gridners" first...so Gaines, Branch, or some other guy like that makes perfect sense.

I could see that the Raiders trying to trade Moss for a 1st round pick...just like the Vikings did, but you are getting in a mess with Moss so it probably won't happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but NE has 2 first round picks (I think). How about we trade our pick for their 2 picks. Then we can draft a DL...someone like Pittock from OSU or Quinten Moses from Georgia with one pick, and then go with a OL like Sam Baker from USC or Blalock from Texas.

I can totally see an Al Davis team going for Russell.

Looking at it pre-combine, if there's one player that I think teams would line up to trade up for, it'd be Johnson. The problem is that all of the teams that need a player like him are drafting farther than where the Lions would probably want to fall.

I don't see the Lions wanting to drop further than No. 8.

A lot of draft pundits have this draft as extremely top-heavy, so it has the potential to have some trades at the top.

As for Brady Quinn... I admit that I softened my "OH MY GOD NO" stance on him from a few months ago but Russell made him look like some Pop Warner kid in the Sugar.

Gaines Adams looks awfully appealing, but I usually wait until post-combine before cementing any judgments on players, especially since you can get physical freaks that rocket up the boards then (like Merriman a couple years ago, Davis last year).

A belated vote of confidence in whoever Marinelli and Co. grab. Last year I thought Ernie Sims was going to spend the season on the sideline with a concussion, but he came in and was absolutely dynamite. So long as they don't go chasing stardom from the Quinn's and Johnson's of the draft... I feel OK about the outcome.

All your picks make perfect sense, but I can't see Thomas going that low. I don't think Alan Branch will be top 5, but I would be shocked if he slipped outside the top 10. Quinn to the Browns could also be a popular pick..hes from that area, and Clevland needs a QB to throw to Edwards and Winslow (the F-- SOLDIER!) I don't think Mareneli will draft a "star" he showed that by not taking Leinart. He wants all the "gridners" first...so Gaines, Branch, or some other guy like that makes perfect sense.

I could see that the Raiders trying to trade Moss for a 1st round pick...just like the Vikings did, but you are getting in a mess with Moss so it probably won't happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but NE has 2 first round picks (I think). How about we trade our pick for their 2 picks. Then we can draft a DL...someone like Pittock from OSU or Quinten Moses from Georgia with one pick, and then go with a OL like Sam Baker from USC or Blalock from Texas.

New England's 2 picks are 22 and 28, definitely too low for the Lions to drop. I could see the Pats making a deal though to move up, but it wouldnt be that high.

I have Thomas dropping to 5 just because of needs. Tampa needs to start building their D back up with youth as theyre getting older, so i just feel theyll go that way. Cleveland is in dire need of a RB, i mean they cant possibly think Reuben Droughns can get it done. The Browns havent had a good RB in forever it feels like, they tried with WIlliam Green but one bust cant stop them from drafting Peterson. As for them taking a Quinn, i dont theyll give up on Frye JUST yet. RB is a bigger need.

Guest ZetterBurger40

I'm not sure if Millen can afford not to take Joe Thomas. The pick is too safe: he's a stud OL that we can build around...If I were Millen, taking another high profile player, such as a qb or wr, would be too high of a risk. If I were him, I wouldn't stick my neck out there like that- I'd take Thomas, even if it is with the #2 pick...

I'm not sure if Millen can afford not to take Joe Thomas. The pick is too safe: he's a stud OL that we can build around...If I were Millen, taking another high profile player, such as a qb or wr, would be too high of a risk. If I were him, I wouldn't stick my neck out there like that- I'd take Thomas, even if it is with the #2 pick...

I absolutley agree...the only thing that scares me is the last time we took the "can't miss OL" from Wisconson he was a draft bust (thanks Aaron Gibson :thumbdown: )

Who was the last offensive lineman the Lions drafted with a first round pick, Backus?

I think so. Backus has had a decent career. From watching him at U-M though I expected a lot more of him. We were one draft choice short of drafting his college teamate Steve Hutchingson!!! Oh what could have been!

It's rare that the Wings take back seat to many things during hockey season, but tonight is one of those nights. I'm not the hugest Saints fan, but I am really looking forward to watching this playoff game tonight. A lot of people in/around the city are looking forward to it, a much-needed diversion to some really recent struggles in the city that just have got a lot of people down.