• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
raidedredwing2

Nikolai Zherdev on the Trade Block

Rate this topic

He's really selfish with the puck. Believe it or not the Wings need a winger like that. A highly skilled guy that wants nothing more than to put the puck on net. Plus he's what? 22? I'd take a gamble on him, particularly with Pavel's Red Wing future being in doubt (here's hoping it's in doubt!).

He's really selfish with the puck. Believe it or not the Wings need a winger like that. A highly skilled guy that wants nothing more than to put the puck on net. Plus he's what? 22? I'd take a gamble on him, particularly with Pavel's Red Wing future being in doubt (here's hoping it's in doubt!).

I agree.

We surely could use a winger like him.

Without a doubt he's a talented guy and he hardass like Babcock could give this kid the coaching he needs.

I'd give it a shot for certain.

Zherdev is definitely having an off-year, but the upside to this guy is huge and he would be under contract for 2 years beyond this season. I would take him in a heartbeat. I dont know what I would give up, he was the 4th overall pick in 2003, so I am going to assume Columbus will want some good quality in return, like a first rounder and a prospect. That is a steep price, but like I said, he has HUGE upside.

Zherdev was described by many scouts as the most skilled offensive player in his draft. So you would have to be crazy not to be interested. He’s only 22, has great size and can put the puck in the net. I would love to have him in Detroit but you would suspect he wouldn’t come too cheaply. We would have to give up a fair bit.

I'd take a risk for him as well. I think having him here could only benefit the team and wouldn't hurt us. What Zherdev is missing in Columbus is the much needed chemistry. Well, that could really develop here. Plus having two Z's on the team would be nifty.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Columbus are looking to ship Nikolai Zherdev. I really think the wings should attempt to aquire this guy. He is fast, and can handle the puck. He would fit in great with Zetts and Hudler

If you are willing to take on a one-dimensional player who would rather try to deke through 5 defenders than pass to an open man and a guy who will cry if you don't give him the puck all the time then Zherdev is you man. Funny thing is, the wings are in need of a winger who craves the puck and wants to put up numbers.

Here's the downside: Zherdev has already had signing issues. There will be a day when he's a 40 or 50 goal scorer and when it comes you better be prepared to shell out 6-7 million or risk him holding out. This is a no brainer, it will happen.

Second, as far as a trade goes be prepared to surrender at least next years #1 draft pick. IMO, it'd be worth it b/c Zherdev is basically a top 10 pick anyway and we'd never select that high regardless. I'm just throwing that out there because there is no way Maclean will deal him without acquiring a #1 pick in return.

Lastly, in addition to that #1 pick be prepared to say goodbye to Flip or another blue chipper like Kindl. If anyone has delusions of grandeur that we'll fleece the Jackets of Zherdev with some ludicrous combo of a 2nd rounder and Hudler or Malty or Williams, keep on dreaming. Doesn't matter one bit that Zherdev isn't having a monster season, the Jackets will not let him go without a seriously good return coming there way. He's still under contract so they would keep him before they deal him for lesser value.

IMO, i'd take a chance on him. I can live without the 1st round pick b/c Zherdev is likely better than anyone we'd select in the 1st round anyway and that player wouldn't help us for another 2-4 years likely. I can also live with dealing Hudler, Flip, Kopecky or Kindl or anyone else in our system except for Howard.

My friend is a physical therapist/trainer in Columbus and works with some pro athletes there, he knows Maclean and used to be next door neighbors with Radim Bicanek before he went back overseas...anyway, he frequents games and knows a few people so i'll ask him what he's heard out of Columbus and see if there's any juicy news regarding Zherdev being moved.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

Columbus are looking to ship Nikolai Zherdev. I really think the wings should attempt to aquire this guy. He is fast, and can handle the puck. He would fit in great with Zetts and Hudler

We want a scoring winger, who isn't afraid of hitting someone or to be hit... That's our missing link for a successful run in the playoffs.. A GRINDER WHO WILL SCORE

I would make a trade for him, but we still need another grinder and I hope we go after Gary Roberts or Martin Lapointe,I think between those 2 or 3 we would be very hard to beat, I'm just worried about Zherdev because he doesn't like Hitchcocks Defense system and I worried that he may not buy into Babs system, but we need a scoring winger so I'll take the goo d with the bad. I think Williams and I first rounder for Zherdev. But who knows!! What do you all think!! :unsure:

If you are willing to take on a one-dimensional player who would rather try to deke through 5 defenders than pass to an open man and a guy who will cry if you don't give him the puck all the time then Zherdev is you man. Funny thing is, the wings are in need of a winger who craves the puck and wants to put up numbers.

Here's the downside: Zherdev has already had signing issues. There will be a day when he's a 40 or 50 goal scorer and when it comes you better be prepared to shell out 6-7 million or risk him holding out. This is a no brainer, it will happen.

Second, as far as a trade goes be prepared to surrender at least next years #1 draft pick. IMO, it'd be worth it b/c Zherdev is basically a top 10 pick anyway and we'd never select that high regardless. I'm just throwing that out there because there is no way Maclean will deal him without acquiring a #1 pick in return.

Lastly, in addition to that #1 pick be prepared to say goodbye to Flip or another blue chipper like Kindl. If anyone has delusions of grandeur that we'll fleece the Jackets of Zherdev with some ludicrous combo of a 2nd rounder and Hudler or Malty or Williams, keep on dreaming. Doesn't matter one bit that Zherdev isn't having a monster season, the Jackets will not let him go without a seriously good return coming there way. He's still under contract so they would keep him before they deal him for lesser value.

IMO, i'd take a chance on him. I can live without the 1st round pick b/c Zherdev is likely better than anyone we'd select in the 1st round anyway and that player wouldn't help us for another 2-4 years likely. I can also live with dealing Hudler, Flip, Kopecky or Kindl or anyone else in our system except for Howard.

My friend is a physical therapist/trainer in Columbus and works with some pro athletes there, he knows Maclean and used to be next door neighbors with Radim Bicanek before he went back overseas...anyway, he frequents games and knows a few people so i'll ask him what he's heard out of Columbus and see if there's any juicy news regarding Zherdev being moved.

I agree with nearly everything you said, except trading Kindl. I really think this is a guy we should not consider trading, he's only 19, he's big, and he's really developing well in the OHL. If we traded our 1st round pick AND Kindl, I wouldn't be happy at all. I think all of the other prospects you mentioned would be fine, but we need Kindl in our system because as a whole, our farm system lacks size. I'm not saying Kindl is the second coming of Lidstrom, but he will likely be a solid #2 D man in a few years along with Kronwall, and I think he could take Schneider's spot very nicely.

The Wings have an abundance of guys like Zherdev...maybe not his calibre of talent...but we certainly dont need him. He's had a rocky time in Columbus and has been benched by Hitchcock a few times for his refusal to play defense. He also tries to make too much happen on his own....nice shootout goal he had last night to beat Vancouver.

Also, he has one goal in his last 22 games...do we really need another guy slumping it up on the second line?

Guest GordieSid&Ted

The Wings have an abundance of guys like Zherdev...maybe not his calibre of talent...but we certainly dont need him. He's had a rocky time in Columbus and has been benched by Hitchcock a few times for his refusal to play defense. He also tries to make too much happen on his own....nice shootout goal he had last night to beat Vancouver.

Also, he has one goal in his last 22 games...do we really need another guy slumping it up on the second line?

Well I spoke to my friend and here it is in a nutshell:

Maclean was asked again if there's any truth to dealing Zherdev to which Maclean replied "i don't talk about closed door issues with the media" so read into that what you will.

Hitchcock apparently, despite benching him has openly said he wants the Jackets to retain him.

As for your comments about him not producing I have a few thoughts on that.

1. He was ill for a little while with the flu bug or something. Granted that isn't enough excuse to be in as big a slump as he is but perhaps it was a factor.

2. He's playing in a Hitchcock system. It's interesting that the jackets were like 5-15 before Hitch got there and are like 15-12 or so since. And how have they been winning, in typical Hitch fasion like 2-1 or 3-1 or 3-2. Look at Nash's numbers. The entire team is low output. They just don't score very much and they certainly won't score more under a Hitchcock system.

Now here's my reasons for bringing in Zherdev. He is a super talented kid. I think he's only 22 so by Wings terms he shouldn't even be in the NHL rather he'd be seasoning in the AHL or something. My point is he is ready for prime time now and would be an instant threat on the Wing. He would be the most natural talent/goal scorer to come in as a young player since Fedorov. And yes, even moreso than Z or Dats. The kid was born to score goals and he will do that if given the right surroundings. That brings me to the main reason why i'd surrender a 1st rounder and a blue chip prospect.

Put the kid with Datsyuk. Give him a Russian centerman closer to his own age. Give him a centerman who looks to dish the puck first (Datsyuk) and doesn't mind not shooting (Datsyuk). We all know how Dats can set people up for prime chances. I think he's the best since Forsberg in that regard and even more natural about it than Thornton.

Anyway, put him on a team that has more talent and guys willing to set him up for scoring chances and I think there's no reason this kid can't bag 40 goals a year in his sleep.

Give him Datsyuk and a winning organization and a winning tradition and spirit and get him out of Columbus where they aren't utilizing him properly nor have the people to really exploit his assets. He may end being a royal pain in the ass but the talent is undeniable.

It won't solve our size issues or grit issues but if dealing Filpulla and a 1st rounder + change can get it done, this is instantly a better team. That's just my opinion.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I agree with nearly everything you said, except trading Kindl. I really think this is a guy we should not consider trading, he's only 19, he's big, and he's really developing well in the OHL. If we traded our 1st round pick AND Kindl, I wouldn't be happy at all. I think all of the other prospects you mentioned would be fine, but we need Kindl in our system because as a whole, our farm system lacks size. I'm not saying Kindl is the second coming of Lidstrom, but he will likely be a solid #2 D man in a few years along with Kronwall, and I think he could take Schneider's spot very nicely.

I don't know alot about Kindl. What I do know is that after the draft lots of people, including some GM's went on record about us nabbing a damn fine prospect.

I also thought I heard he was tearing up the O and was named Captain of one of the Czech junior teams? I don't know about that but i'm thinking world championships or something.

Anyway I know he is expected to be a top pairing defenseman and that could very well happen so dealing him could hurt. However, his upside is precisely the reason why the Jackets would likely want him in return versus any of our other youngsters. If I had my druthers it'd be Flip going there way over Kindl but we gotta give to receive and Zherdev, despite my personal feelings about him (i think he's lazy and selfish and a pain in the ass) I still think he has so much potential as just a pure goal scoring machine that if the move is there you might have to make it. It'd be a tough decision but then again some of the best moves are made when tough decisions are there and sometimes you have to bite the bullet if you want to really win. Personally, I would make the deal for any of our prospects except for Howard.

I'd like to see him on the Wings too. Or the Pens. Being a fan of both, that would be cool.

Crosby could use a guy on his line that can score. Recchi is doing alright, but if Recchi was 10 years younger, Crosby would probably have over 100pts right now, instead of 79.

Last I heard though, the Pens were in talks with the Jackets for Zherdev. Malone being the guy shipped out. Zherdev would do good things in Pittsburgh or Detroit.

If either team works a deal, it would be the best for him too, I'm sure he'd love to play in the playoffs. The Wings pretty much are a lock for the playoffs and the way the Pens are playing, they just may make it with a 7th or 8th seed. I wouldn't even doubt 6th.

Big, strong, skilled, RIGHT HANDED SHOT!!

I'm all for it, give up 1st round picks, whatever, just get it done. Its a gamble because i hear he's dickhead, but i think all he needs is strong guidance and boundaries (although he is playing under Hitchcock so that shouldn't be a problem...), a fresh start may do wonders too and if not we can ship him somewhere and try again.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I'd be really upset if we dealt Flip. I just love this kid... I think Zherdev would be a GREAT addition, but I wouldn't give up Filppula for him. Anyone else sure, but not Flip.

Why?

Flip's got 5 goals in his 1st 47 games in the NHL and he was never a big time scorer as a junior in Finland.

Zherdev already has a 27 goal season under his belt and even though he's struggling is still nearly 1/2 a point a game player on Columbus.

Zherdev is also a little younger (they're both 22), he's taller and bigger and stronger.

I'm not dogging Flip becuase I absolutely love his work ethic, he always impresses me with how hard he skates each shift and tries to make something happen. However......

I haven't seen a ton of finish out of him and personally I don't think he's a naturally gifted offensive player. In truth he reminds me of guys like Maltby, Drapes and Cleary that can maybe contribute with some good numbers and will always work hard and try to be responsible defensively but he is simply outclassed by Zherdev as far as offensive upside, stickhandling and potential to be an impact scorer at the NHL level.

I like Flip alot but he's no Zherdev.