• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agalloch

Damn, MacDonald deserves better than this.

Rate this topic

Guest Agalloch

This is, what, the fourth straight game he's deserved to win? He played great against San Jose, before the defense failed him in the third, played great against the Jackets, but the offense sucked in that game, played decent in Edmonton, and played great in Colorado. The rest of the team failed him every single time. Then, we get to this game, where the only goal he gave up was a result of luck, since the puck bounced off Chelios and right into the net. He DOMINATED this game. He stopped so many damn 2 on 1's and great scoring chances, but we can't even get one goal for him against Curtis Sanford and Manny Legace. That's pathetic.

I hope everyone is starting to see that Joey can be a future goaltender. Yes, he was awful in Nashville, and yes, he has some problems with rebounds, but with how Hasek has been playing, I'd rather Joey start now. He's been great ever since that Nashville game.

Now he just needs a win to get his confidence up. My suggestions are starting him Monday at Philly, where the Flyers have only three wins all year. Or, start him at home against the Blackhawks. Those should be automatic wins right there.

I hope the Wings don't come out flat against Philly after playing Calgary Sunday... that'd be embarrassing.

How good the defense is still doesnt dictate the kinds of saves that Macdonald made this game.

Just the possible amount of those saves needed..

Edited by arin

Guest Crymson

He was fantastic.

I really feel for the guy. :(

Yeah--we should really just dump Oz and use Joey as the full-time backup.

Edited by Crymson

This is, what, the fourth straight game he's deserved to win? He played great against San Jose, before the defense failed him in the third, played great against the Jackets, but the offense sucked in that game, played decent in Edmonton, and played great in Colorado. The rest of the team failed him every single time. Then, we get to this game, where the only goal he gave up was a result of luck, since the puck bounced off Chelios and right into the net. He DOMINATED this game. He stopped so many damn 2 on 1's and great scoring chances, but we can't even get one goal for him against Curtis Sanford and Manny Legace. That's pathetic.

I hope everyone is starting to see that Joey can be a future goaltender. Yes, he was awful in Nashville, and yes, he has some problems with rebounds, but with how Hasek has been playing, I'd rather Joey start now. He's been great ever since that Nashville game.

Now he just needs a win to get his confidence up. My suggestions are starting him Monday at Philly, where the Flyers have only three wins all year. Or, start him at home against the Blackhawks. Those should be automatic wins right there.

I hope the Wings don't come out flat against Philly after playing Calgary Sunday... that'd be embarrassing.

Ozzie starts on Monday.

Guest Crymson

Nah man, I don't think we should dumpy Ozzie at all I will always have faith in him :)

I only said that to get under Reem's skin.

Joey needs to get a win soon to gain confidence. If not, it could continue to go down hill.

I agree a win would give him more confidence, but I'm fairly certain he's not in any danger of going downhill over this. He is well aware he kept those guys in the game last night. I think the team let him know it as well. He's done nothing but play spectacularly, and I hope it continues.

Wow, I was thinking about starting a thread like this on my way into work this morning. That poor kid, what's he gotta do to get his 1st NHL win? I hope he doesn't get sent back to GR without getting one, that would truly suck...

When Joey wins, and he will win one soon, it will be all that much sweeter. I love his attitude and his patience, what a good kid he is. He was great last night, and even made one save where he gobbled up the rebound! :P

Good on ya, Mac. You deserved the win, but the guys just couldn't do it for you last night. Next time out, they will! :thumbup:

Edited by puckloo39

Those should be automatic wins right there.

So should a game vs. the Blues.

I was thinking this last night while watching the game. I'm conflicted watching him play. He is clearly a smart goaltender and plays angles well and gets side to side really well. But he straight up CANNOT win a hockey game to save his life. And not that the loss should be on him, because obviously the team played poorly in front of him, but it's February now and he's been on the roster all season long with a nice, fat, juicy zero in the wins column. You can accidently win a hockey game more than ZERO times (see: Manny Legace / Curtis Sanford).

The point of having the third goaltender is that Hasek doesn't have to dress on nights that he doesn't start - a plan that was genius in training camp. Hasek is now occassionally playing back to back games and was dressed as a back-up last night anyway. To say that our backup netminding situation is unreliable would be an understatement - Chris Osgood couldn't stay healthy with Mayo Clinic doctors as his roommates and Joey MacDonald can't win a hockey game to save his life.

Don't mistake my words as crowning Hasek the messiah of the crease. He's very obviously our best goaltender, but the team is like Dr. Jekyll when he's in net, and Mr. Hyde when anyone else is. It reminds me of last season, when the team played really well in front of Manny Legace, and really poorly in front of Chris Osgood.

I feel terrible for MacDonald - his numbers are AWESOME - a 2.93 GAA and nearly 90% save percentage. He's a much better goalie than his record suggests, but the 24th place team in the league shouldn't be the one that ends a top-tier team's 175-game shutout-less streak. And no, a better performance from Joey MacDonald wouldn't have put pucks in the opponents' nets (although Pavel Datsyuk's inability to handle in the zone COUNTLESS times may have).

I'm sure this will sound harsh, but I'm on a streak of being insensitive to people who don't deserve it -- sometimes you can play out of your mind and make 29 saves. But, sometimes you need to make 30 for your team to win. On the exact same side of that count, you can't expect him to do everything - including score goals. It's not his fault the Wings were shut out, and it's not even his fault he was scored on - that was a flukey ass goal. But when does it become time to give someone else a shot at being the third goalie? I'm fairly certain that either Stefan Liv or Jimmy Howard is capable of riding the pine, counting face-offs, and NOT winning when they get a chance to play.

Edited by JeeSpot82

Ozzie starts on Monday.

According to Ted Kulfan....

Babcock has decided that MacDonald, not Osgood, will get the start against Philly on Monday.

Edited by Outsider

I really like how Joey plays, his first start i was impressed. Now im just even more impressed, he could be the guy to steal howards spot if howard doesnt pan out. Hopefully he does, Because the Howard/Mac tandem is looking good to me right about now...

Babcock and Hasek both pretty much let him know that he deserved the win and that he played well.

He himself had to know the same thing before they even told him. If I were him I would still feel bad about not getting the W, so yeah I feel bad for the kid because he did play great. I honestly think he should get a start over Osgood, at least one, but I'm sure Babcock doesn't want Ozzie sitting too long in case we need him in good shape for the playoffs.

I didn't watch the game, but I notice that Macdonald had more shots against then Hasek. I do believe there's a reason for that, and that is because Hasek a) doesn't give up as much rebounds b) pokechecks alot, and c) plays the puck more.

I thought Macdonald played extremely well last night. Certain members of the defense (ahem..KRONWALL) on the other hand looked awful. Macdonald's 0-5 record really doesn't reflect his performance in the games he's been in this season.