135 replies to this topic

#41 datsyukismyfriend

datsyukismyfriend

Hockeytown!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(Heaton @ February 9, 2007 - 02:02PM) View Post

I'm not sure you know what the words 'best' and 'worst' mean then, because it was blatantly obvious he had his best games with Schneider out.

10 gms 5 pts -3 +/- (schneider out)

10 gms before schneider was out 6 pts 4 +/-
-I can't believe we drove around all day, and there's not a single job in this town. There is nothing, nada, zip!
-Yeah! Unless you wanna work forty hours a week.

#42 jason_0931

jason_0931

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

Well Lebda has 3 goals and 13 points and a +8 shooting percentage of 4.1. Kronwall has 1 goal and 16 points and a +1 and a shooting percentage of 1.4. You tell me who is better and sounder defensively and has better offensive capability!

#43 DattyOwns19

DattyOwns19

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:12 PM

You think any team in their league that is half sober will pick up a contract like that?

Pfffffft.

#44 labeau55

labeau55

The one and only

• PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:15 PM

I agree that Kronwall does have his moments where he looks out of place. But he is ususally good with the puck and can make some good passes. He is also, besides Markov, the only person on the team who actually hits people. In time he may be our best d-man.

#45 SoupGuru

SoupGuru

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:36 PM

I'd trade Kronwall for Barret Jackman

#46 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(SoupGuru @ February 9, 2007 - 10:36AM) View Post

laugh.gif
IPB Image

#47 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(SoupGuru @ February 9, 2007 - 02:36PM) View Post

I was about to welcome you to the boards (or as I call it, The Obsession) with open arms. Not anymore! tongue.gif But seriously, welcome.

I hate Jackman. He stole Hank's Calder. boxing.gif

#48 SoupGuru

SoupGuru

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(HenrikRules40 @ February 9, 2007 - 10:44AM) View Post

I hate Jackman.

I do too. Not for the Calder thing so much, but because he plays with an edge and just makes you so angry at him with all the pushing and facewashing after the whistle. I think a lot of teams and players around the league hate him. How many players on the Wings are hated by other teams? Maltby? He's pretty insignificant these days. Chelios? Maybe for the way he played in the past but probably not too much today.

Yeah, we should have someone like that.

#49 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(jason_0931 @ February 9, 2007 - 11:57AM) View Post

I am suprised that someone says Kronwall has been playing his best hockey while Schneider was out. I thought he looked his worst. To me he doesn't jsut give up the puck occasionally, but often and when he is the last defenseman. Lebda will play in more situations later this year and next. Remember Kronwall has had an opportunity for 4 years, and due to injury's has not played 100 games. Lebda, on the other hand, has played nearly 5 more games and looks much better.

Exactly, there isn't enough to judge him on just yet. However, he has a ton of potential. The Wings organization has taken a gamble, and we'll all have to wait and see if it pays off. Simple as that.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#50 jason_0931

jason_0931

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

5 years is a long time to gamble in the new NHL! When is the last time we made a trade or signed an important UFA. Gambling in today's NHL is not practical.

#51 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

I think Kronwall's bad play recently could be related to him having to wear the cage, which is certainly not a great excuse, but probably does affect his passing. That's why I think maybe he's been carrying the puck too much, in order to avoid getting picked off by someone he can't see in his peripheral. In any case, Kronwall should probably be considered a more defensive style D-man and why Babcock still has him on the PP I can't figure out. I'm willing to give him a few more years to really develop, as development is on an individual basis and you can't say just because Lebda improved his game that Kronwall should do it in the same amount of time. And if things don't pan out, I'm sure some team would want him in a trade down the road.

#52 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(jason_0931 @ February 9, 2007 - 01:09PM) View Post

5 years is a long time to gamble in the new NHL! When is the last time we made a trade or signed an important UFA. Gambling in today's NHL is not practical.

The same could be said to the contrary. Teams *HAVE* to gamble in order to put a truly competitive team (that could win it all) on the ice.

Edit: Clarity

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 09 February 2007 - 02:36 PM.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#53 jason_0931

jason_0931

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

having to gambe is a fair arguement, but how long do we gamble?

#54 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:41 PM

I have to agree with NFM25

Gambling in the new NHL is probably needed. Think of what would happen if the Wings signed Zetterberg to a 1-2 year deal. His price would be going up after this season. Instead, the Wings keep him at a steal of a price for two more years.

Same with Kronwall, what if he blows up next season and has a huge year? He's still under contract for a reasonable price.

Obviously, he could turn out to be a bust. That's why it's a gamble. But I think with Kronwall and his potential, the good outweights the bad.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#55 Lilja

Lilja

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

Anyone else thinks the fullvisor is in the way for Kronwall? Ive noticed it myself, that its sometimes alittle bit more difficult to handle the puck with the visor covering the chin.

--------
haha a fuse broke.. i got it fixed.. and when i posted it again it was already said....

Anyway... like someone already said, he only has below 100 games in total. He needs more games! Also its important in my opinion to let him make a few mistakes, he will never reach his potential in an enviroment where doesnt get to play his game with hits and creativity.

Edited by Lilja, 09 February 2007 - 02:45 PM.

Im suprised this name was not already taken!

#56 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

He is the future, now shut this topic down. He is going NOWHERE.

#57 jason_0931

jason_0931

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

settle down bro we are having a discussion if you don't like the topic don't read further and don't post!!!!

#58 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

Kronwall's contract is like it for a few reasons.

1) Length, 5 years is a good commitment that you want to be with the organization and Holland/Illich are big on loyalty. If he were on a team like Nashville who has loads of defensive prospects, his deal wouldn't be anything like this.

2) Lack of defensemen with top 2 potential, the only other defensemen we have that actually has that potential is Kindl. Ericsson, Quincey, Lebda ect.. will be decent defensemen and will help this team, but Lebda is not going to be a go-to guy in his career, but thats OK.

3) Obviously in the Datsyuk talk this gets shut down, but his international and AHL accomplishments. You cannot sit here and tell me you don't see all of the moves he has, all of the chances he creates. They'll go in eventually, but you can't hang your hat on that right now.

Kronwall is too important to this organization right now to be traded.

Edited by Heaton, 09 February 2007 - 02:57 PM.

Moral victories are for losers.

#59 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

At this very moment is Kronner worth 3 million a season over the next 5 seasons...no...

At the same time I agree that you have to take gambles in the new NHL if you are going to succeed. Kronner could have great seasons in the next 3 years with his potential, former AHL Eddie SHore (outstanding D-man) award, and he won MVP and Best defender in the 2006 Worlds.

If Kronwall becomes half the player he could be he is worth 3 million a season, and if he lives up to his potential we have a great deal on him at 3 million a season as our cap hit.

Good risk and if it doen't pay off it shouldn't be too bad. At least it isn't like the gamble the Isles took on DiPietro.

I vote defiinatly not to trade him.

Edited by russianswede919293, 09 February 2007 - 02:58 PM.

#60 jason_0931

jason_0931

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

Don't you think the number of years that passes is just as important as games played! He has 4 years to prove himself and only 90 some games during that time. Now we have another 3 1/2 years to hope he becomes a goal scoring defensive phenom like Lids. Given what he has shown not likely. So trade him when he has equity! I am not saying rent a player for the playoffs, but look to get another young player in the mix (a power forard type we all know the wings need to win).