• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Flip-check

Are you kidding me?

Rate this topic

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=177283

"Want to be manly? Have the guts to wear the visor and know it doesn't make you any less tough, any less of a hockey player."

This is dumbfounding. I'm just baffled at the idea of some guys out there thinking visors are wimpy, if there are--regrettably, I wouldn't be surprised at that. No matter what age, people will astound you with amazingly irrational beliefs.

It reminds me of Philippe Boucher from '03, where the Devils were the dealers instead of receiving on this one.

There's been talk of requiring visors in the NHL for awhile, but there's no rule about making anything mandatory... yet...

The AHL, however has implemented mandatory visors, and many players believe it's only a matter of time before this rule is seen in the NHL. My guess, if it ever is implemented, it'll be grandfathered in like helmets were in the late 70's.

*edit* grammar.

Edited by Jedi

If you cant take a puck to the eye you aren't a man. Great logic. Why didnt someone inform me this Neanderthal thinking was still around?

After what happened to the Captain against the Flames during the playoffs in '04 I think the Wings, at least, should require that everyone wear some sort of protection.

*Has flashbacks of Visors are for Pu**ies thread*

Visors = Smart, who knows, it might keep you from losing an eye if the puck hits your face

If somebody thinks you are a wuss because of face protection, which is perfectly legal in the game and a lot of other people use this face protection as well, I'd just laugh back in their face.

agreed SouthernWingsFan. but i don't think anything should be mandatory in hockey. I say let them wear what they want. Me i would prob have one...and a big eddie george mouth gaurd...neck gaurd....some chainmail...and some othr stuff...hahahah

hey SouthernWingsFan wonder if we could trade draper?..hehehe j/k

I think wearing a visor is a good idea for the players. They should have the choice though. But, if they're going to scrap, I wish they'd square up and take 'em off. I know there is not always time. But if there is time they should.

*Has flashbacks of Visors are for Pu**ies thread*

Visors = Smart, who knows, it might keep you from losing an eye if the puck hits your face

If somebody thinks you are a wuss because of face protection, which is perfectly legal in the game and a lot of other people use this face protection as well, I'd just laugh back in their face.

Wasn't that thread visors are for Euro's?

Aren't visors mandatory for new players anyway?

No. As Jedi said, they are mandatory in the AHL. And in NCAA hockey all players have to wear a full face shield or cage.

There will be a day when visors are mandatory in the NHL. I'm actually surpried the league hasn't tried to force the issue yet. The owners pay guaranteed contracts, they should be doing everything they can to protect their players.

Wasn't that thread visors are for Euro's?

Yes, but I think the insinuation was that Euro's are *******.

Visors are fine, but I do have a problem with players that wear them and still want to fight. In the past, this was considered unfathomable, because it’s a decided advantage for the player wearing the visor.

As an opposing fighter, I’ve either have to risk cutting up my hand on your visor, or I have to get your helmet off before I can start throwing. For some reason, this now seems acceptable: Probably because so many players now wear them.

However, IMO, If you want to fight, then don’t wear a visor.

Guest micah

I agree, it doesn't make you less of a man if you wear a visor, but if you do, I don't want to see you in scrums or giving facewashes. I have great contempt for the guys who are tough enough to talk trash and push and shove but wera visors and refuse to fight. If you are weak or don't like to fight, fine, but shut your mouth and skate away. I love the wings, but every game I'm cheering more someone to pummel Maltby.

And yes - on average the toughest players do not wear visors and the softer ones do. There are countless exceptions, but I think we've all see the corelation.

If you cant take a puck to the eye you aren't a man. Great logic. Why didnt someone inform me this Neanderthal thinking was still around?

you didn't know it was still around BECAUSE ITS NOT STILL AROUND!

does anyone else realize this dumb ass doesn't know a cow pie from a hockey puck? or just me...

i wear one for ice and roller. one its smart. two i think it actually looks GOOD. thats right. good. its kind of an accessory if you will.

plus the visibility and breathability factors are near non existent with a clear half shield. a full cage is a dif story, they really suck, but the half maybe reduces those areas 5-8% at MOST.

this idiot doesn't know what she's talking about. players have been wearing them for years now.

NOTE: the only time someone is considered a ***** for wearing one is when they drop the gloves and dont "de-shield" thats seen as kind of a sissy move.

other than that, NO ONE CARES.

Jordan Stall of the pens doesn't wear one and he's a rookie

Yeah, I was just going to say that. I thought it was mandatory for players under 25 to wear one, but I guess not.

this idiot doesn't know what she's talking about. players have been wearing them for years now.

NOTE: the only time someone is considered a ***** for wearing one is when they drop the gloves and dont "de-shield" thats seen as kind of a sissy move.

other than that, NO ONE CARES.

I don't think anyone's disputing whether or not people wear them. That's pretty obvious.

Just because they exist in the league, doesn't mean that behind the scenes some of the players won't think of them as weak. In lovely fashion, humanity's well-known for stupidity. I don't imagine this stops just because somebody's 28 and in the NHL: it doesn't stop 28+ year olds that aren't in the NHL for making up stupid rules of machisto amongst their peers.

So all in all? Yeah, I'd bet some players have that issue with them. Others don't. Others still probably love the hell out of them. Until anyone gathers some clues into the players opinions, we'll just have to rely on the track record that's already been put out there. And it ain't the most rational one.

Well pretty mcuh everyone on here seesm to agree that anyone who says "visors are for wimps etc." is an idiot. Every player in the NHL regarless of their position (goal scorer, fighter, whatever) has a right to protect their livelyodd. Sure we they get in a scrap the helmet should come off, but that has nothing to do with wearing a visor during the game. VIsors aren't designed to block incomign fists, they are for pucks and stray sticks.

On this issue of the NHL making in maditory, thats a bit tougher to say. I am starting to side with the making Visors manditory because although they are grown men who are payed and can make the decisions on their own, team owners and gm's have a lot invested in these guys and if there is anything they can do to protect them, so be it.

Again, evolution of sport. I'm sure if you went bakc to the 80's everyone was up in arms about trying to make helmets manditory, but it happened, and i dont think anyone in their right mind woul dplay in the NHL today without a helmet.

(except for possibly Fedorov who seemed to enjoy his hair flowing behind him as he skated)

They should wear full cages to protect their face. The visor only gives you a 50/50 chance in protection from getting hit in the face with a puck or stick.

They should wear full cages to protect their face. The visor only gives you a 50/50 chance in protection from getting hit in the face with a puck or stick.

But it is more important to protect the eyes than nose or mouth.

HELL NO to full cages, are you kiddin'?

I could probably google search that, but you sure ended it cuz I have no idea what that means. :P

Kara Yorio, person who wrote this article, has a good reputation of knowing $hit about hockey but often crossing the line with bold pot-stirring statements.

big smoke little fire (or whatever it's called in english :) )

I don't think visors should be mandatory. It should be up to the players to decide if they want to wear one or not.

If I was an NHL player I would choose not to wear one. The visor tends to fogg up, and causes problems with vision sometimes. I wouldn't blame anyone for wearing one though.