• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VladyIBELIEVE16

OFFICIAL: Forsberg traded to Predators

Rate this topic

I wouldn't call it desperation, per say, but they're definitely pulling out all of the stops in an effort to win the Cup. And why not? They've got three good scoring lines now, a deep defense, and a solid 1-2 tandem in net... The cherry on top is that all of the years leading up to this one where they've been mediocre has resulted in good draft positioning that -- coupled with good scouting -- has resulted in great organizational depth.

Hence the package that no other NHL club was willing to match. I don't think the move will adversely affect the Predators at all 3+ years down the road.

I've got to agree with that. I think had the Wings made a comparable deal with Philly, it would have looked a lot more desperate than what the Preds did. The Preds apparently have the depth in their system to make this kinds of deals and not have a huge impact down the road. The Wings do not.

Guest Crymson

I've got to agree with that. I think had the Wings made a comparable deal with Philly, it would have looked a lot more desperate than what the Preds did. The Preds apparently have the depth in their system to make this kinds of deals and not have a huge impact down the road. The Wings do not.

Yeah, we couldn't afford it-- a symptom of trading away too many 1st round picks.

Yeah, we couldn't afford it-- a symptom of trading away too many 1st round picks.

Yep, remember the days when a blockbuster deadline trade by the Wings was a foregone conclusion?

Nowadays, we're just hoping that Holland doesn't waste draft picks on a Cory Cross. :P

I wouldn't call it desperation, per say, but they're definitely pulling out all of the stops in an effort to win the Cup. And why not? They've got three good scoring lines now, a deep defense, and a solid 1-2 tandem in net... The cherry on top is that all of the years leading up to this one where they've been mediocre has resulted in good draft positioning that -- coupled with good scouting -- has resulted in great organizational depth.

Hence the package that no other NHL club was willing to match. I don't think the move will adversely affect the Predators at all 3+ years down the road.

Its definitely a move out of desperation. The Preds have to make a harder push for the cup than any other team in the NHL right now. If they dont start making some noise with trades and becoming the ABSOLUTE FAVORITE for the cup, their attendance problems will remain. They are supposedly averaging 14,000 fans a game and need to get that number up to a 16,800 average by the end of the season. Its been kept failry under wraps until recently, but the Preds need to create a rampant fan base ASAP or the city will pay either with taxes or being relocated.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Correct -- and something that Nashville will also eventually experience if they maintain their high level of play. The Wings have benefited from an outstanding scouting staff that has resulted in Datsyuks and Zetterbergs to help maintain the franchise during what would've normally been a "rebuilding" period.

Its definitely a move out of desperation.

It's not a move of desperation if they're dealing from a position of strength.

The Predators could afford to make the move to bolster their roster, keep a key aquisition away from a pair of key conference opponents, and not adversely affect their farm system.

Yes, they need to put butts in the seats, too, but there's no guarantee Forsberg equates that. They STILL may not come. They were already one of the top teams in the NHL prior to the deal and they still weren't near capacity and I'm not expecting sellouts even with Forsberg on the roster now.

Wow, I didn't realize I missed the trade deadline. The Wings have yet to make a move and everyone is writing them off. Forsberg did not fit the needs for this team. The Wings need a big, fast scoring winger, someone who can play like Shanny did 10 years ago. Williams is a waste on the 2nd line, he has zero chemistry with Lang. Hell, they could throw Hudler up instead of Williams and that line would be immediately more dangerous, even with a rookie on the wing.

I guess success has spoiled this fan base. Unless the Wings go out and make the trade du jour, everyone panics. Had the Wings dealt Kronwall, Filppula, a 1st and 3rd for Foppa, everyone would be screaming about how the Wings raided the cupboard for a rental.

If the Wings are able to acquire Guerin, Tkachuk or even Bert, everyone will be creaming themselves about how the Wings are a shoo-in, etc. Holland could likely make a move no one sees coming. The Oilers are meeting with Smyth's agent this week, likely to see what terms he is seeking. He is going to be a UFA, so if hey can't re-sign him and they don't think its likely they'll make a lot of noise in the post season, he might be available.

The Wings are a one-trick pony right now but it's February, so they can afford to be. If they can hang around the top of the division, I like their chances head-to-head with the Preds. How many big games have players on the Preds won? How many Cup winners do the Preds have? Two, now, with Foppa. Just think, the Wings have multiple players who have more Cups than the entire Preds team. They have arguably the most dynamic tandem the in the league right now, the world's best defenseman, one of the greatest goaltenders to ever play the position and a two-time Cup winner as their back-up.

I'm not one to drink the Wings kool-aid, but lets have some levity here people. This team is still poised to make some noise and its likely what ever moves they make at the deadline will only increase those odds.

That 3rd round pick is interesting. It seems like someone offered something that basically matched an Upshall, Parent, 1st rounder so NSH had to throw in that 3rd to push it over the edge. Mere speculation of course, but made me wonder what Ken offered (or Burke, or whoever else).

I think NSH made a good move. Go for the cup this year while you have the chance, don't wait and build.

Honestly, I also think the Wings need more than one player and maybe not getting Foresy is a blessing in disguise.

We need to replace Williams for sure (don't argue, yes we do). Samuelson is a big question mark. Hudler is a gamble. Cleary brings good things, but is not producing with Williams/Lang. Drapes and Malts are offensive non-factors and have become strictly one-dimensional. Trying to use Dats and Zetts on seperate lines to increase other's output didn't work. Let's not kid ourselves, the Wings offense has more holes than Peter's missing spleen. We're only one injury away from being totally out-gunned.

Hopefully we can get Guerin or Tkachunk (an impact player) and another quality guy, too. If not, we might be best-served by adding a truckload of also-rans, and hope a couple of them get hot. Smolinski, Gelinas-types. And give Jason Allison a call (yeah, I said it!)

Rumor has it that the 3rd-rounder is a conditional pick that can be upgraded to a 2nd- or 1st-rounder depending on if Forsberg re-signs with Nashville or another club outside of the Flyers. (I haven't seen this confirmed yet.)

Guest Crymson

Wow, I didn't realize I missed the trade deadline. The Wings have yet to make a move and everyone is writing them off. Forsberg did not fit the needs for this team. The Wings need a big, fast scoring winger, someone who can play like Shanny did 10 years ago. Williams is a waste on the 2nd line, he has zero chemistry with Lang. Hell, they could throw Hudler up instead of Williams and that line would be immediately more dangerous, even with a rookie on the wing.

I guess success has spoiled this fan base. Unless the Wings go out and make the trade du jour, everyone panics. Had the Wings dealt Kronwall, Filppula, a 1st and 3rd for Foppa, everyone would be screaming about how the Wings raided the cupboard for a rental.

If the Wings are able to acquire Guerin, Tkachuk or even Bert, everyone will be creaming themselves about how the Wings are a shoo-in, etc. Holland could likely make a move no one sees coming. The Oilers are meeting with Smyth's agent this week, likely to see what terms he is seeking. He is going to be a UFA, so if hey can't re-sign him and they don't think its likely they'll make a lot of noise in the post season, he might be available.

The Wings are a one-trick pony right now but it's February, so they can afford to be. If they can hang around the top of the division, I like their chances head-to-head with the Preds. How many big games have players on the Preds won? How many Cup winners do the Preds have? Two, now, with Foppa. Just think, the Wings have multiple players who have more Cups than the entire Preds team. They have arguably the most dynamic tandem the in the league right now, the world's best defenseman, one of the greatest goaltenders to ever play the position and a two-time Cup winner as their back-up.

I'm not one to drink the Wings kool-aid, but lets have some levity here people. This team is still poised to make some noise and its likely what ever moves they make at the deadline will only increase those odds.

:clap::siren::clap:

GREAT post! I agree completely. I couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo!

Again this trade really doesn't impress me much.

I doubt Forsberg's reliablitly in regards to health.

Here's something interesting from NHL.com

Ready, aim, fire -- The Red Wings are on track for an interesting daily double. The Wings enter the weekend leading the NHL with 33.3 shots on goal per game, ahead of runner-up Florida (32.7). They also lead the NHL in fewest shots on goal allowed at 23.9  1.5 shots per game fewer than runner-up Dallas.

Although the Nashville Predators are battling the Wings for the Central Division lead, they're making their goalies work a lot harder than Dominik Hasek & Co. While the Wings outshoot their opponents by more than nine per game, the biggest margin of any team this century, the Predators are being outshot by an average of more than four per game (27.6 to 31.7). But the Preds do a lot more with their chances than the Wings: They're scoring on 12.3 percent of their shots, while Detroit is putting just 9.2 percent of its shots on goal.

Nashville is especially good at winning blowout shutouts: The Preds have five shutout victories by five or more goals; no other team has more than two. All five have come at home.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=289127

:clap::clap:

I guess I'm drinking the same kool aid as you, because I couldn't agree with you more!

Here's something interested that was posted by someone at HFBoards:

Mike Santos (NSH Director of Hockey Op) was the intermission interview guest of Admirals' announcer Aaron Sims.

Excerpts:

"Feb. 15 was our deadline day to make the deal because Detroit didn't have the cap room to acquire Forsberg until the 16th"

Here's the link.

Pretty interesting. Holland may have been prepared to deal for him and Nashville got him before we could've. Who knows?

Guest Tunbo Batman

so that would be them reacting to us, and thats a good thing for us and a bad thing for them. nsh is so obsessed with beating detroit, it will cost them in the long run. that was a braindead move anyway, even with a deep playoff run its not worth it.

also, packing a club at the last minute like this is not the only, not even the best way to win the cup. i like our chances, and carolinas, and several other teams' more than theirs.

Interesting debuts on both sides. Forsberg, the big man of the trade, has only one shot in about 19 or 20 minutes of ice time in a 4-1 Nashville loss to Minnesota. Scottie Upshall, on the other hand, scores the game winning goal in a 5-3 Flyers win over the New York Rangers. Kinda strange really.

I heard some moron on the radio today claim that the Flyers got ripped off (yes that was the Flyers)...

Paraphrased: "I know Ryan Parent is supposed to be really good someday or something but the Flyers definitely got ripped off. Scottie Upshall is is more of a Thomas Holmstrom player (was that a rag on 96? :huh: ), and they got some draft picks but I definitely think they could've gotten a lot more for Forsberg."

Just thought I'd post this for a laugh or two... :lol:

Guest Tunbo Batman

okay, and the nordiques got robbed when they traded a dynasty team for lindros i suppose.

also, vancouver got robbed when they got naslund, and so on.

EDIT : couldnt resist the urge of adding the 2 most boneheaded trades of the hostory of the game : Roy VS Thibault and Turgeon VS Corson. What a steal by the Habs, who are still a dominant team nowadays because of brilliant moves like this.

ok im done now.

Edited by Tunbo Batman

okay, and the nordiques got robbed when they traded a dynasty team for lindros i suppose.

also, vancouver got robbed when they got naslund, and so on.

EDIT : couldnt resist the urge of adding the 2 most boneheaded trades of the hostory of the game : Roy VS Thibault and Turgeon VS Corson. What a steal by the Habs, who are still a dominant team nowadays because of brilliant moves like this.

ok im done now.

Naslund for Alek Stojanov was a lot worse than Roy for Thibault. The Turgeon for Corson trade comes close though.