• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
arnoldbuck

Screw Sidney, the Saviour Has Arrived

Rate this topic

Found this:

Can Jessica Simpson save the NHL?

Sex and sport; some may not like the mixture, but there's no denying the effectiveness. So I thought I'd have a little fun with the idea...

A post at the always-entertaining Freakonomics blog a while back got me thinking about the issue indirectly when they emphasized the differences and similarities between Canada and the USA. Using the top 2006 searches on the Yahoo! search engine as the basis for comparison:

You'll note - perhaps not surprisingly - "NHL" was the #1 Canadian search term in 2006. By contrast, Americans were most in need of information about "Britney Spears". (Good grief, America. Although to make fun of Canadians, look no further than #s 6,7 and 8 on Canada's list. Britney Spears might be an improvement.)

But Freakonomics pointed out there is one individual person that both Canada and America had in common in their queries: Jessica Simpson.

Is this information useful? Absolutely. It's a marketing bonanza that should take all of North America by storm: take Jessica Simpson, plaster her into every NHL television advertisement produced, and voila! Magic!

And if you don't think selling sex has any place in the NHL, you'll have to pardon me for disagreeing. Or at least insisting that you're a few days late to the trend - sex already sells the NHL in cities all over the league. (Hello, Ice Girls! Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, New York Islanders… and so on.) And furthermore, while the NBA isn't a professional league I'd want to see the NHL emulate in many ways, you've got to admit they know how to run their marketing efforts.

One more thing: if you look at the list above, you'll see one other match between nations: WWE.

I'm no fan of the wrestling world, but I think it's a telling commonality, and what it tells me is this: people everywhere love a good whooping. Bring on the hockey fights!

Sex with a touch of violence. Is it My NHL? Sure, I'm cool with it.

(hmmm, not sure how to attach the pic)

fox sports

But my response ... can she save the NHL? ... she can save WHATEVER she endources.

Edited by arnoldbuck

Just wait til the girls get a sniff of this thread and the inevitable "Ugh I hate her so much" comments start. I think it's programmed into women's minds.

I don't know about that, my girlfriend loves her.

Ready...here it comes:

I hate Jessica Simpson. She's dumb and fake and ugly and her mouth looks retarded when she talks. She probably doesn't even know what hockey is.

I'm a guy and I don't like Jessica Simpson, she's annoying. Now she's on Pizza Hut commericals. :crazy:

I'm big on credibility, and she doesn't have any.

Aw, c'mon BRTD, don't tell me you'd kick her out of bed.

In the highly unlikely event she jumped into my bed and screamed "Take me, I'm yours!" then no, she would not find herself sleeping on the floor ;) And I'm in almost total agreement with HTRW - she must not speak unless it's to ask if I would like a beer. (Yes, I would.)

Outside of that improbable arrangement, I believe I'd leave her alone. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit in the looks department for someone who doesn't singlehandedly lower the national IQ by several points.

As an ambassador for the NHL, not only no but hell no.

Hmm...That might be great for guys, but you might lose a few female fans, if they have to see her half naked body plastered all over hockey ads.

I, for one, wouldn't leave the hockey world, but I would find myself watching it less...

Hmm...That might be great for guys, but you might lose a few female fans, if they have to see her half naked body plastered all over hockey ads.

I, for one, wouldn't leave the hockey world, but I would find myself watching it less...

Yeah I was thinking it wouldn't sit well with the female fans. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL, out of the 4 major North American Sports, percentage wise, has the most female fans. Hands down, there's more females in the stands at NHL games then there are at NFL, NBA, and MLB games.

I'm a guy and I don't like Jessica Simpson, she's annoying. Now she's on Pizza Hut commericals. :crazy:

I'm big on credibility, and she doesn't have any.

here's some credibility for you, and anyone else who falls to the mainstream annotation that jessica simpson is an idiot. Jessica Simpson....is indeed a member of Mensa. For those of whom who do not know what Mensa is, here's a brief explination:

Mensa International is the largest, oldest, and best-known high-IQ society in the world. The organization restricts its membership to people with high testable IQs. Specifically, potential members must score within the top 2% (98th percentile) of any approved standardized intelligence test

yes, you heard correct. Jessica SImpson is indeed smarter than everyone here on LGW.com. How she is casted on TV is just another way that events can be taken out of script and manipulated in a way to capture a specific audience. Now, I dont have a direct link as to any list that you can observe for yourself, but take my word for it. Last year I did a case study in my psychology class and came across this fact.

Yeah I was thinking it wouldn't sit well with the female fans. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL, out of the 4 major North American Sports, percentage wise, has the most female fans. Hands down, there's more females in the stands at NHL games then there are at NFL, NBA, and MLB games.

Youre kidding right? NFL, MLB...... even if, say, 5% of those sports fans were females (which is way too low) to, say, 20% (which is pushing it) in the NHL, the first two would slaughter the NHL in numbers.

here's some credibility for you, and anyone else who falls to the mainstream annotation that jessica simpson is an idiot. Jessica Simpson....is indeed a member of Mensa. For those of whom who do not know what Mensa is, here's a brief explination:

Mensa International is the largest, oldest, and best-known high-IQ society in the world. The organization restricts its membership to people with high testable IQs. Specifically, potential members must score within the top 2% (98th percentile) of any approved standardized intelligence test

yes, you heard correct. Jessica SImpson is indeed smarter than everyone here on LGW.com. How she is casted on TV is just another way that events can be taken out of script and manipulated in a way to capture a specific audience. Now, I dont have a direct link as to any list that you can observe for yourself, but take my word for it. Last year I did a case study in my psychology class and came across this fact.

So apparently her IQ is so low that it wrapped all the way around the spectrum and is threatening to drop into the highest regions? Kinda like if you go far enough west you end up on the East Coast?

Seriously man. You might wanna provide a link for that one. Just sayin'.

Were as I highly doubt she's honestly as stupid as the media seems to portray here, there's no proof aside from some officious claim by her mother that she possesses Mensa quality intellect. I've dabbled in psychometrics myself before and know one cannot become a member of Mensa without some variant of proper testing. If you can provide adequate information informing me otherwise I would be interested though.

Youre kidding right? NFL, MLB...... even if, say, 5% of those sports fans were females (which is way too low) to, say, 20% (which is pushing it) in the NHL, the first two would slaughter the NHL in numbers.

I know there's more overall, that's why I said percentage wise. The NHL wouldn't want to turn off their female audience.

NFL, NBA, and MLB, it wouldn't really effect things to much.