111 replies to this topic

#1 WingedWheelin06

WingedWheelin06

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

According to TSN on the winter GM meetings:

''I have a better sense of the market now as I head home,'' said Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland. ''The prices remain too high. Whether or not we'll be willing to pay that price next Tuesday at the deadline remains to be seen.''

#2 johnnyoski

johnnyoski

Red Wing-Parrothead

• Silver Booster
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:28 PM

Its called a negotiation tactic.

#3 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

Its called if Holland doesnt do something to help this team in the playoffs we are out in the 1st round .... yet again.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#4 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE(johnnyoski @ February 21, 2007 - 01:28PM) View Post

Its called a negotiation tactic.

Yep. Ask for everything and see what you get...same crap every year.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#5 T.OWingsFan

T.OWingsFan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:30 PM

Realistic assesment.

Teams are asking for 1st round picks and prospects for rent-a players who will be UFAs in the summer. Most of whom (Tkachuk) haven't had a really consistently good season in a long time.

And Nashville mortaging the farm didn't help market value.

Just get the grit which Holland can still find cheap and forgo the Guerin/Tkachuk nonsense (players who will not help us anyways, unless we are missing Lang-esque lazyness and older age).

#6 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:33 PM

As soon as I read that quote from Holland, I knew there was going to be at least one thread about it.

Words are meaningless. Actions are what matters.

Let's see what happens by the deadline.

#7 johnnyoski

johnnyoski

Red Wing-Parrothead

• Silver Booster
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Salviaman @ February 21, 2007 - 01:29PM) View Post

Its called if Holland doesnt do something to help this team in the playoffs we are out in the 1st round .... yet again.

Can you give me the michigan milions numbers while you're at it? You can obviously forsee everything that is going to happen.

#8 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

Yep, the typical, "let's freak out over a tactical quote" thread... I saw this one coming from a mile away. Holland isn't going to be jumping for joy to the media if trade talks are going well, he won't say anything positive until he has a deal done. That's the way a GM works for the most part, so be patient, things will happen.

#9 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

IPB Image

Ask and you shall receive.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#10 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

The line, "it remains to be seen" doesn't mean that no trades are coming, it just means that Holland isn't sure that he is willing to mess with the future of the organization for a rental player. That also doesn't mane he won't make a move like that either, it remains to be seen. I am confident that Holland will get someone here, whether it's Tkachuk, Guerin, or someone like Mayers, I am sure he will make a move.

#11 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

Another thread about Holland.. AHHHHHHHH yowza.gif
IPB Image

#12 Tommie2

Tommie2

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(esteef @ February 21, 2007 - 01:29PM) View Post

Yep. Ask for everything and see what you get...same crap every year.

esteef

I agree with Holland when he said that there is another hockey that startes in sept.You can't aways be giving up on next season for the holy grail this one. Today hockey just does'nt work that wat anymore.

#13 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:51 PM

Tactics? I think Holland spoke from the heart. He basically says the same thing every year. The question is how can he be surprised?
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#14 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(johnnyoski @ February 21, 2007 - 02:35PM) View Post

Can you give me the michigan milions numbers while you're at it? You can obviously forsee everything that is going to happen.

Woh woh there champ- let's be realistic here- the odds of correctly predicting the Wings exit are much, much higher then guessing that lottery number. At least give him a few hundred tries?
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#15 jenova0

jenova0

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

Funny thing is, if Holland bets the farm, and if we still lose in the first round, and now we're out some good prospects and good picks. I'm sure people here will still be discontented. I'd rather not pay at all, then overpay dearly, for a rental.
"You either get it, or you don't" - Dr. Phil

#16 Mighty Wings

Mighty Wings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:53 PM

Brian Burke basically had the same thoughts from monday. He was actually more pissed compared to holland. If the prices don't go down, move on and target others.

#17 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(RyanBarnes! @ February 21, 2007 - 02:51PM) View Post

Tactics? I think Holland spoke from the heart. He basically says the same thing every year. The question is how can he be surprised?

Exactly.

Like I said in one of the other threds, it was obvious in the summer what this team needed. Yet Holland waits until 7 other teams want the same thing and a bidding war has ensued, and a seller's market has been created. Then he lays this s*** on us.

No one was bidding over Guerin in the summer. He signed for peanuts.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#18 Mighty Wings

Mighty Wings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:04 PM

According to TSN.ca and other sites were talking about the demands of Philly being extravagent and most teams beside the Preds being unwilling to meet them. In fact, TSN noted the Preds outbid other teams by a wide marging. I simply don't see any of the other potential buyers making those kind of offers.

Few of the remaining buyers have the young assets that Nash had to deal. Nash could afford to deal a young dman because their system is so stocked. This is not true of other teams.

Guerin, Smyth, Fatchuk et al are NOT Forsberg. Forsberg has, at times, been the best forward in the league and he is a proven playoff warrior. In contrast, the remaining high level forwards are all playoff disappointments (Guerin or Tkachuk with something like .5 pts per game in the playoffs) or haven't won anything

#19 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:04 PM

holland should send the 1st round pick ... cause this year the draft is not that deep its a poor draft we have nothing lose ...

#20 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(rick zombo @ February 21, 2007 - 01:55PM) View Post

Exactly.

Like I said in one of the other threds, it was obvious in the summer what this team needed. Yet Holland waits until 7 other teams want the same thing and a bidding war has ensued, and a seller's market has been created. Then he lays this s*** on us.

No one was bidding over Guerin in the summer. He signed for peanuts.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. I don't want to hear Holland make the same lame excuse again. Anyone could have foreseen this. Now, pay the price.

"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate