• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chelios4eva

Why do Blues fans hate the Redwings so much?

Rate this topic

We have A LOT to be proud of.

Ted Lindsay said he liked being booed in the opposing team's rinks. I like the fact that opposing team's fans hate us.

You never want the opposition to like you. That just means you're a push over.

I know living in the Toronto area Leaf fans despise us. :cool:

Every where I go when I wear my Wings hat I always get the question......... "How the hell can you cheer for a team like that."

Despite some early playoffs exits the last few years, we're the best. We've been the best since 1991-92, with no signs of slowing down.

So...let me get this straight.

Despite not doing much of anything in the playoffs the past few years...you say the Wings were still the best, eh?

That's pathetic. :lol:

It's one thing to say you are the best when you win the cup....but to say you are the best in years when you don't win the cup?

What are you smoking? :lol:

However currently we're the 3rd best team in the League

Wait...you just said you were the best. Now you say you are the 3rd best?

Which is it?

Kenny pretty much outsmarted every other team

Really? Hmmm...gee...all of the hockey talk on Toronto's Fan590 and XM Home Ice radio haven't mentioned Detroit as the big winners on deadline day.

They are saying the Blues did the most to improve their club.

But hey...I'm just passing along information. Far be it for me to get in the way of a good homer statement.

And FYI, Bertuzzi hasn't done much of anything since the Moore incident. Maybe he'll get his head out of his ass in three weeks when he is able to play....but don't be surprised if he is a big disappointment.

I got Hull right away, but Shanny took a bit of thinking. I sometimes forget Shanny played for the Blues.

Heh...that doesn't surprise me in the least.

And one more thing...

I hear quite a bit of talk from Wings fans about how Detroit has owned the Blues over the last decade...which is true. But it's funny how the all-time record is never brought up by Wings fans.

As much as Detroit has owned St. Louis over the past 10 years, the Blues still own the lead in the head to head series.

The Wings were the Blues ******* before the 90's.

Just sticking up for my team.

Sue me.

Go Blues.

Guest Tunbo Batman

Every where I go when I wear my Wings hat I always get the question......... "How the hell can you cheer for a team like that."

Heheh, here in montreal i often come across Wings fans and they kinda cheer loudly and waive and yell at me from the other side of the streets and we give each other thumbs up and stuff like that.

Unfortunately i sometimes also come across braindead habs drones who ask me that very question, with an aggressive tone. So i go "hey, i love the wings because they have great players, a great legacy, they play intense and beautiful hockey, they won't accept defeat, the organization is solid through and through"...and then I go "and you? i guess you root for the habs, right? why do you?" of couser they hardly have a reason to except the habit and the fact that they were spoonfed as children that the habs were the team to root for, so they turtle in and go away. so funny.

So...let me get this straight.

Despite not doing much of anything in the playoffs the past few years...you say the Wings were still the best, eh?

That's pathetic. :lol:

It's one thing to say you are the best when you win the cup....but to say you are the best in years when you don't win the cup?

well, we got 3 100+ point seasons, including the 5th best of all time, good for a season championship, which I do value a lot, which is why i also like the blues by the way lol, because they were a good team 6 months every year.

Really? Hmmm...gee...all of the hockey talk on Toronto's Fan590 and XM Home Ice radio haven't mentioned Detroit as the big winners on deadline day.

They are saying the Blues did the most to improve their club.

as if toronto would ever give credit to us for anything.

And FYI, Bertuzzi hasn't done much of anything since the Moore incident. Maybe he'll get his head out of his ass in three weeks when he is able to play....but don't be surprised if he is a big disappointment.

Heh...that doesn't surprise me in the least.

I hate Bertuzzi and I hope he's gone soon. Goon.

I hear quite a bit of talk from Wings fans about how Detroit has owned the Blues over the last decade...which is true. But it's funny how the all-time record is never brought up by Wings fans.

As much as Detroit has owned St. Louis over the past 10 years, the Blues still own the lead in the head to head series.

The Wings were the Blues ******* before the 90's.

Now youre just sounding like a bitter fan who relinquishes the past over and over. Dont overdo it.

Go Blues.

Edited by Tunbo Batman

Why shouldn't they hate the Wings? For all the mentioned reasons.

But I think the clincher for them is the fact that they and their organization/team are met with mostly indifference from Detroit. Can you imagine what that must feel like for them?

Ya it's funny how the Blues have had some pretty good players over the years and it's never translated into a cup. I can't say I "hate" the Blues or their fans, I'm sure most of them love their team as much as I love the Wings. What I don't understand however, is hating someone for liking a certain team. I mean, you can hate the team because of certain players, coaches, games or incidents, but how can you hate a team's fans? Possibly if you are going to their arena to watch the wings play and their fans treat you poorly, then I guess you've got a case. Overall though, my love/hate for the NHL is for the players and the teams. I couldn't hate a fan just for being a fan....

the same reason almost every team's fan base in the leauge hates us, because for the last 12 years or so we've been the top dogs, we start to suck again and magically that'll disappear,..pure jealousy simply put.

nice justification.

Can anyone on the Blues really say the same thing? Besides the three year run where they went to the finals between 68-70, the Blues haven't done anything in recent years.

And why do you bring the Tigers into the situation? What happened in the World Series is a whole different situation and a whole different sport all together. This topic was made about the Blues, not the Cardinals.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Guest Tunbo Batman

yeah, and what about that time in 1854 when that guy from st-louis beat that other guy from detroit at poker? can we bring that in the discussion too? :P

Edited by Tunbo Batman

We have A LOT to be proud of.

Ted Lindsay said he liked being booed in the opposing team's rinks. I like the fact that opposing team's fans hate us.

You never want the opposition to like you. That just means you're a push over.

I know living in the Toronto area Leaf fans despise us. :cool:

We sure do like St. Louis tho :)

The Blues are lazy and they suck. So if their fans can`t cheer for them, they just bash the team that is best and the team that Yzerman eliminated in the play-offs in double OT. :P SUCKERS!

THIS is a perfect example of why Blues fans hate Wings fans.

Comments EXACTLY like this.

If you guys can't recognize this...well...sorry.

Can anyone on the Blues really say the same thing? Besides the three year run where they went to the finals between 68-70, the Blues haven't done anything in recent years.

and that's only because the NHL changed the rules so that all 6 expansion teams competed for the right to play in the finals against non-expansion teams in an "expansion bracket" .

Fun Fact: Does anybody here realize that Scotty Bowman was either coach or GM of the Blues those years they made it to the SCF's?

Heheh, here in montreal i often come across Wings fans and they kinda cheer loudly and waive and yell at me from the other side of the streets and we give each other thumbs up and stuff like that.

Unfortunately i sometimes also come across braindead habs drones who ask me that very question, with an aggressive tone. So i go "hey, i love the wings because they have great players, a great legacy, they play intense and beautiful hockey, they won't accept defeat, the organization is solid through and through"...and then I go "and you? i guess you root for the habs, right? why do you?" of couser they hardly have a reason to except the habit and the fact that they were spoonfed as children that the habs were the team to root for, so they turtle in and go away. so funny.

:lol:

I find that very hard to believe. In fact, I don't believe that at all.

Montreal is insane about their hockey.

They have the most passionate and opinionated fans in the NHL.

Monteal has a much, much, much more storied and rich and successfull history than Detroit.

They have a lot to be proud of.

If you are going to bring up "a great legacy" in a debate against a Habs fan, you will lose every time.

well, we got 3 100+ point seasons, including the 5th best of all time, good for a season championship, which I do value a lot,

That's all well and good...but you can't say you were the best if you didn't win the cup.

It just sounds pathetic.

Not long ago, the Blues won the President's Trophy...but they didnt' win the cup. They weren't the best that year.

as if toronto would ever give credit to us for anything.

So you think they are wrong?

You think Bertuzzi was the best acquisition of the draft, and the Wings did the most for their team at the deadline??

:lol:

Sorry. Wrong.

Now youre just sounding like a bitter fan who relinquishes the past over and over. Dont overdo it.

Go Blues.

I'm bitter?

Not really. I'm just not limiting the comparison between the two teams to the last 10 years. Why stop there? Because it's convenient for your side?

If you guys can say the Wings owned the Blues over the past decade, then I can say the Blues owned the Wings over the last 40 years total.

But a lot of you guys wouldn't know that because you didn't start following the Wings until the mid 90's.

Things were quite different before then.

and that's only because the NHL changed the rules so that all 6 expansion teams competed for the right to play in the finals against non-expansion teams in an "expansion bracket" .

Yup, that was the way it was.

And I've seen some of those games where the Blues went to the finals. While the Blues were an expansion team, they had some great players and gave Boston and Montreal all they could handle. Many of the games went to OT.

But if you want to get picky...

Before expansion, winning a cup with only six teams in the league was...well....let me put it this way....

Four teams made the playoffs....if you won in round one, all of a sudden, boom, you were in the finals.

Wow.

Every team that was in what is today wrongly known as, "the original six" has a number of cup victories during that era. That says something.

That's pretty weak. Have you ever visited stlouisblues.com's forums? You could replace all the members with Neanderthal Man and it would take weeks before anyone would notice a difference in the quality of the posts. You've got people physically threatening fans of other teams (not just Detroit's), talking about "Detoilet" and generally carrying on like they're on a 6th grade playground.

You're going to find knowledgeable fans and morons in every team's fan base, let alone an internet forum where the idiots show up in disproportionate numbers. The reason fans of teams dislike each other has to do with the rivalry between the teams. Then, the generalizations start and one or two idiots who mouth off become the face of the entire fan base of the other team. If the Blues and Wings didn't share a division and a rivalry on the ice, these conversations wouldn't be taking place. Likewise, if the Blues shared a division with the Islanders or Senators, you'd be saying the same things about their fans.

Me? I prefer to engage conversation with the smart fans and leave the rest alone. There are good, quality fans of all the teams. Hell, we've had lots of great fans from rival teams show up here, Blues fans being many of them. We've seen fans of Nashville, Calgary and Edmonton, hell, even Colorado, become good contributors here. Take the good and leave the bad behind, I say.

:And I've seen some of those games where the Blues went to the finals. While the Blues were an expansion team, they had some great players and gave Boston and Montreal all they could handle. Many of the games went to OT.

yeah, but you didn't win the cup, that's the difference between you and us, you glorify coming second place when we only glorify the years 1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, and 2002. The most sucessful American team by far.

But if you want to get picky...

Before expansion, winning a cup with only six teams in the league was...well....

actually it was more difficult than having a one in six chance to go to the finals against other expansion teams in the expansion bracket.

There was no free agency, some young kid always looking to take you spot, management didn't treat the players with respect, the rivalries were fierce built up by years and years of playing against the same team and same players. The players really didn't like one another not like today where they're at the same golf outing in the off-season. There was no watered-down talent pool.

No, actually this is the perfect example. Blues fans already hate Wings fans, just for being Wings fans. So they latch on to the least intelligent comment they can find, call it an excuse to hate Wings fans, and trumpet it far and wide as representative of the whole group.

As for why Blues fans hate the Wings themselves, it's been gone over quite a bit already. Blues couldn't hack it against the Wings, no matter how many times the two met in the playoffs. That kind of dominance leads to envy. And in any argument about which team has been better historically, the Blues don't stand a chance of winning.

The Blues have fans? FSN Midwest tells a much different story, scanning around Scottrade Center (which MY MISSOURI TAX DOLLARS helped renovate this summer) There's a lot of Blue chairs in that place. No bodies in them, just a lot of empty stands.

Draft ehh. What pick did we have??? Ill give you a pass though since I'm sure the draft is the only thing on your mind as thats all Blues fans have to look forward to.

Buuuurrrrnnn!

On another note the New Madrid fault could open up and swallow St. Louis and now that ta-chunky and Guerin are gone nobody in the hockey world would notice...

brutus

Edited by brutus

I never even knew that the Blues fans hated us THAT badly... After reading through that thread on their message board, the only reaction I can have is that those posters are some of the most ignorant people I've ever seen... Seriously, what have the we done that is sooo terrible that they have to sit there and talk s*** constantly. And geeze, they say they're not bitter, but the instant they keep on bring up the Moore incident and how Bertuzzi is a thug is the moment they reveal themselves as a bitter group of fans.

One VERY important quote for Blues fans on that board and forum:

"I'd like to be cowboys from Arizona or pimps from Oakland but it's not Halloween. Grow up; Peter Pan, Count Chocula."

- Wedding Crashers