• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
superstarsingh

Datsyuk Negotiations

Rate this topic

I heard that Washington will be making a huge push for Datsyuk in the off-season, and I imagine the thought of playing with Ovechkin would intice Pavel. I say he is the one impending free-agent that we should sign ASAP. even if he bombs in the playoffs again, at least we have him signed and can trade him if need be.

I heard that Washington will be making a huge push for Datsyuk in the off-season, and I imagine the thought of playing with Ovechkin would intice Pavel. I say he is the one impending free-agent that we should sign ASAP. even if he bombs in the playoffs again, at least we have him signed and can trade him if need be.

do you have the source where you heard this from?

heard that too. read it in an article and on other forums although i cant find either right now

Lang and Schneider are for sure goners. As for Malts i say let him guy and replace him with Scott Hartnell, who is 12 years younger and more effective. Also we'd be taking an intricate piece away from nashville as wel.

I don't get it.

Everyone wants to get younger and grittier yet people here are actually hoping Lang, Maltby, and Schneider are re-signed.

Unreal.

The only one I'd make any effort to re-sign would be Pavel, and even then, only for 5.5 max.

Maltby = Kopecky

and Schneider money should be spent on a Sarich type player. Someone better defensively (edit: and more physical). Plus Quincey and (maybe) Kindl could be ready for some ice time.

Save the Lang money for either Bertuzzi or another gritty winger.

Edited by rick zombo

Well, the NHL doesn't have a franchise tag like the NFL, so that's not going to happen. The Wings have already started preliminary negotiations with Maltby, so I'd expect him back. I know Hollnad loves Schneider and Schneider loves playing here, so don't be surprised if he's back next year too, although with his numbers last season and so far this year, he'd get a ton in the FA market.

As for Datsyuk, I think the Wings really want to keep him and I know he and Hank are tight, so don't be surprised to see Pavel back next season. I think the Wings see Hank and Pavel as the next Yzerman - Fedorov type combo. Both guys have different dimensions to their games that compliment each other so well, kind of how the Wings could check a top line with Yzerman or Fedorov's line and know the other line would be dangerous offensively.

As for Maltby, I think Franzen makes Maltby kind of redundant at this point. the Mule's a gritty guy who goes to the net, has more offensive up side and will be cheaper in the short run. Filppula will eventually replace Draper as a solid, two-way centerman, but he's not to Draper's level yet, IMO.

Pavel is the best stickhandler in the game. He knows his skill level is way up there and currently he's going to want something in the high 5's at least. He's showing a lot of hunger right now and I'd sure like to see how he plays for that contract. However, if Pavel has a strong outing in the post-season, and isn't signed, I fear the wings will probably be outbid for him in the offseason.

However, if Pavel has a strong outing in the post-season, and isn't signed, I fear the wings will probably be outbid for him in the offseason.

Exactly. If Pavel finally has the post season we all think (and hope) he's capable of having, he'll probably price himself out of Detroit.

Pavel is the best stickhandler in the game. He knows his skill level is way up there and currently he's going to want something in the high 5's at least. He's showing a lot of hunger right now and I'd sure like to see how he plays for that contract. However, if Pavel has a strong outing in the post-season, and isn't signed, I fear the wings will probably be outbid for him in the offseason.

Its a bit of a gamble, but sign him now before the playoffs where I think he will shake the monkey off his back. If not, then trade him. There will always be takers.

Its a bit of a gamble, but sign him now before the playoffs where I think he will shake the monkey off his back. If not, then trade him. There will always be takers.

He's a UFA after the season and the trading deadline is passed. Trading him isn't an option.

He's a UFA after the season and the trading deadline is passed. Trading him isn't an option.

I think the poster meant if you sign him now and he fizzles in the post season again, the Wings would have the option of trading him.

Tomas Holmstrom 2.25 Pavel Datsyuk 5 Henrik Zetterberg 2.65

Kyle Calder 2.2 Valtteri Filppula .71 Todd Bertuzzi 5

Scott Hartnell 3 Kris Draper 2.128 Johan Franzen .941666

Igor Grigorenko 1 Jiri Hudler .7 Dan Clearly .6625

Mikael Samuelsson 1.2 Tomas Kopecky .75

Nick Lidstrom 7.6 Danny Markov 2.5

Nick Kronwall 3 Brett Lebda .65

Andreas Lilja 1 Chris Chelios .85

Kyle Quincey .5

Chris Osgood .85

Jimmy Howard .75

if we re-sign datsyuk, bertuzzi, and calder witch i believe are absolute musts, we dont have the cap room to reup with schnieder or lang.

i say get hartnell in here to replace maltby. resign markov instead of schneider because he is physical. or sign cory sarich instead of markov and schneider

I think the poster meant if you sign him now and he fizzles in the post season again, the Wings would have the option of trading him.

True, but even then. If the Wings give him 5.5 million or so and he has another bad playoff season, that doesn't make him easy to trade.

Wings need to resign dats, his playoffs have sucked, but hasnt everyone on detroit sucked the las few playoffs( with the exception of a few), he was also injured last playoffs. If we did resign him and he does bomb again in the playoffs, he would be easily tradeable to a team like Washington, who just wants to MAKE the playoffs.

True, but even then. If the Wings give him 5.5 million or so and he has another bad playoff season, that doesn't make him easy to trade.

But easier than if he gets 6.5 after bidding on the UFA market.

I don't understand.

If Dats has another bad playoff run and is getting offers of 6.5 on the open market, then the Wings sure as hell better let him walk.

I suppose I should have put "assuming the Wings win the bidding." in my previous post. Plus, Dstsyuk signed now, even to a high contract, and even if he has undistinguished playoffs, could bring nice return in trade next year.

I will now write a letter to our GM:

Dear Ken Holland:

Please wait until after the playoffs to sign Pavel Datsyuk. If he has another bad playoffs and you give him 7 million, I and many others will be extremly disappointed. And I also plan to eat your face if you do this. Thank you for your time in this matter.

Sincerely yours,

Kevin

Whoever says that re-signing Schneider is a bad idea, well you're stupid. Sorry, but it really is that simple. Schnedier is having another career year, even with an injury that sidelined him for some time. If we can get Schneider back for the same salary or maybe even a little less, than why not? He may not be the best defensively, but think about it, he isn't that great defensively, yet we have one of the best defenses in the league. If Schneider wants a huge raise, he'll be gone, but otherwise, he'll be back.

Maltby has been playing a lot stronger these days, he has stated in the Freep recently that he is trying to play more physical like he did back in the late 90's, and that he wants to get back to that form. Since I read that, he has played more physical. If he can continue to play this way, he'll be back - as long as he is contributing in some way, why not, we could sign him for less.

Datsyuk will be back, he likes playing with Zetterberg too much to leave, why leave such a good chemistry for uncertainty. Lang should be a goner though, I hope. We could use some more youth and hard work on the second line. Lang may be able to score and make pretty passes, but I'd much rather have a hard working center up there who can do the same things too. Filppula comes to mind.