• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Elshupacabra

Lebda won't be suspended for slash on Nichol

Rate this topic

FromTSN.ca

"...High-motor center Scott Nichol suffered a broken thumb when he was slashed by Red Wings defenseman Brett Lebda in the first period..."

They expect him out for around two weeks,

but no suspension according to mlive.com...

Lebda won't be suspended for slash on Nichol

The NHL didn't feel that Brett Lebda's slash on Scott Nichol was premeditated:

March 8, Detroit News: The league issued no suspension or fine on Brett Lebda for slashing Nashville's Scott Nichol on Tuesday.

Nichol suffered a broken bone in his hand and will miss two weeks

As I didn't see the slash, I can't comment on whether a suspension should happen.

How can one ask if the slash "was that bad" when a player's thumb was broken? That's a little amazing.

Obviously, it was a hard slash. According to the league, it did not appear to be a premeditated slash and a suspension will not be doled out due to those findings. That is completely acceptable, but the slash, in and of itself, was "that bad".

David

I didn't see it happen either, just saw Nichol skating over to the bench and took his glove off wincing in pain. It was near the end of the first. I don't think it was particularly violent slash if no one noticed it, probably just got him pretty good and there was an unfortunate break.

Though, I don't think the NHL is in a hurry to side with Scott Nichol anytime soon after his own suspension this season.

Guest Crymson

As I didn't see the slash, I can't comment on whether a suspension should happen.

How can one ask if the slash "was that bad" when a player's thumb was broken? That's a little amazing.

Obviously, it was a hard slash. According to the league, it did not appear to be a premeditated slash and a suspension will not be doled out due to those findings. That is completely acceptable, but the slash, in and of itself, was "that bad".

David

It's not difficult to break fingers in hockey. If the slash had been notable, it would have been noted.

Damn, I didn't even see it. Maybe they're making it up so he can sit down and rest for a while. And if not, it just fits the existing trend for both teams with respect to injury. We'll get ours. :P

We already have. Look at all of our players sidelined. You know Holmstrom is out because of his back, and you know that had to be someone crosschecking him in the back (from the 1,000 times it happens a nite). Hank's back injury. I can remember seeing him being crosschecked in the small of his back. Heck, Mickey even said something about it. Infact I keep watching hoping the guilty individuals who put our injured players on the injury reserve 'get their's'.

We already have. Look at all of our players sidelined. You know Holmstrom is out because of his back, and you know that had to be someone crosschecking him in the back (from the 1,000 times it happens a nite). Hank's back injury. I can remember seeing him being crosschecked in the small of his back. Heck, Mickey even said something about it. Infact I keep watching hoping the guilty individuals who put our injured players on the injury reserve 'get their's'.

I remember that cross check. I am drawing a blank on who they were playing but it was a great play by Hank. He drew the interference penalty to start the play and then drew that penalty too. I remember being pretty pissed because it was a dirty play but he finished the game seemingly fine. I did not really think about until I heard that he was out.

On the original topic I don't remember seeing a slash or Nichol being hurt either.

David

Mmmmmmmmm. Thanks for that bite of your Grasping-At-Straws-Sandwhich

David

One time i fell on the ice and jammed my thumb on it (inside the glove mind you), felt a lot of pain. When i took off the glove, my thumb was broken.... they had to put a pin in it.

So the slash doesn't have to be "that bad" to break a finger. Since nobody even notied the slash, then it probably wasn't "that bad"

It's not difficult to break fingers in hockey. If the slash had been notable, it would have been noted.

I didn't say that Lebda did a "Chris Simon" on Nichol's hands. I never mentioned that Lebda should be suspended since I did not see the slash myself in addition to the fact that he doesn't have a reputation of intentionally injuring someone. In other words, I think it was accidental. My only contention is that the slash was "hard enough" to break Nichol's thumb.

Mmmmmmmmm. Thanks for that bite of your Grasping-At-Straws-Sandwhich

Uh...

What? Not being sarcastic here, I really don't know what you're talking about.

One time i fell on the ice and jammed my thumb on it (inside the glove mind you), felt a lot of pain. When i took off the glove, my thumb was broken.... they had to put a pin in it.

So the slash doesn't have to be "that bad" to break a finger. Since nobody even notied the slash, then it probably wasn't "that bad"

Odds are the slash occurred away from the action and that's why nobody noticed it. Unless one has a bone problem, no bone is "easy" to break (granted that some are easier than others). With your example, your weight and speed to the ice was enough, combined with the impact of the hard ice, to break your finger. In the case of this slash, Lebda's momentum (both his and his stick), combined with any momentum that Nichol had as well as the impact of the hard stick was "bad enough" to break his thumb.

That's all I've said on the subject and pretty damn hard to argue against given the evidence. None of that however supports suspending Lebda. It was an accident- which I've said from post one.

David

I remember that cross check. I am drawing a blank on who they were playing but it was a great play by Hank. He drew the interference penalty to start the play and then drew that penalty too. I remember being pretty pissed because it was a dirty play but he finished the game seemingly fine. I did not really think about until I heard that he was out.

SYKORA! Sykora Sykora stupid stupid Sykora! After a delayed penalty had already been indicated, effing Sykora cross checked Zata and rode him into the boards. As soon as I heard he was out due to a back injury my mind went to that play. I hate you Sykora...meet me in a dark alley sometime :boxing:

What? Not being sarcastic here, I really don't know what you're talking about.

David

I'm just talking about your logic. Nichol broke his thumb therefor the slash was "that bad".

You're stretching your logic because of bias. You're a Nashville fan. Of course you're going to think the slash was bad. It doesn't mean it was.

I'm just talking about your logic. Nichol broke his thumb therefor the slash was "that bad".

You're stretching your logic because of bias. You're a Nashville fan. Of course you're going to think the slash was bad. It doesn't mean it was.

:rotflmao:

Well, thanks to the Chris Simon "Home Run Swing" they probably won't be showing the Lebda slash on the pregame tonight!

Edit: Spelling

seeing simon's swing, he wouldn't cut it in baseball. i guess all of his options are gone now as a professional athlete