• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

imisssergei

Who do you think needs to go?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Lang will be gone next year.

Maltby will almost certainly be gone next year. He doesn't really add anything anymore. I imagine he'll retire if the Wings don't re-sign him.

There is absolutely no reason not to give Grigs a chance, IMO; that'd be horribly dumb and nonsensical.

Schneider is the only question mark.

I don't know if Sammy has a contract through next year. I hope not.

I don't know if Sammy has a contract through next year. I hope not.

I hate to disappoint, but we are stuck with Samulesson until after the 2008-2009 season. He signed a 3 year extension sometime last season.

No, I was simply making this point, of the wings prospects that come through like Dats, and Hank, you don't hear non-stop about how good they are going to be. With Grigs, you do, but he hasn't come close to doing anything, or reaching any of the hype. His window to be a NHL star is passed.

Maybe you are too young to remember, but we did hear non-stop about how good Zetterberg and Datsyuk were going to be.

By the way, I love how you know more than the entire Red Wings organization.

Seriously, McLennan? How is that any sort of upgrade over Ozzie? At least Ozzie has been the mainstay backstopper for not only a great team, but also a cup winner. What has McLennan ever done? That's right, nothing. At some point we do need to see what we have with Liv and Howard. Liv showed us what he can do with Sweden, and Howard is supposed to be the next big thing. So lets see it.

Are you a moron? He had McLennan as Osgood's backup, which would - watch out! Im using logic! - mean hes not as good as Osgood.

Way to create a good reputation for yourself.

Yes, I want Dom gone. I didn't like the signing the first time around, I think Ozzie would have gotten the job done then as well. I think you are right, Ozzie is no longer a number one goalie. I would run split duties between Ozzie and Howard. Maybe even bring up Liv. At some point these guys need a chance to play on a regular basis in the NHL.

Yeah, Dom is cheap, but slated for UFA status you have Belfour and Joseph. Both have put up similiar number as Hasek, but play on MUCH worse teams. Having Dom around for one more year just doesn't make sense. He has proven this season that he is a shell of what he once was.

Joseph and Belfour have put up similar numbers to Hasek???

Hasek - 2.13, .908

Belfour - 2.8, .900

Joseph - 3.13, .896

Lang needs to go. There was much more expected of him than what he gave us this year, and the greatest benefit we could get for him now (aside from a complete 180 in April) is the extra salary cap space.

I would love to see Dom come back for another year as well as Howard. I think Jimmy has alot of potential, but hes nowhere where he needs to be to be a solid #1 goalie right now. He can learn alot by playing under Hasek and even Osgood, although I think it would be best for Jimmy's future if he plays a number 2 goalie, and not number 3. More experience.

I think Schneider should stay another year, but not for what we're paying him now. He is definitely solid in d, as well as experienced, but he has a nasty history of pinching, and taking the shot when imo he should pass. With that said, I still think hes a better choice defensively then bringing up a prospect to take his place.

As much as it pains me to say it, Maltby needs to go. His main job on this team has become nothing more than an agitator, and he hasn't been as efficient as it as he could be. If i recall, I believe Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Holmstrom have created more powerplays than he has, although I could be wrong. Anyway, at this point in his career and the Red Wings situation, he's dead weight.

Datsyuk should definitely return, although his future salary should be based on how he performs in the playoffs. If he doesn't end his bad postseason streak, I personally wouldn't pay him what hes asking for.

And Bertuzzi really needs to come back next season. He has a lot that the wings have needed for years.

Guest Crymson

By that logic, Franzen is worse off than Grigs, as he was selected lower in the 3rd round. Datsyuk is worse than Franzen, as he was selected in the 6th round. And don't even get me started on Henrik "I must REALLY suck because I was taken in the 7th round" Zetterberg. And on that line of thinking, Lilja is better than all of them, as he was taken 54th overall...

Ouch. Good post! :):thumbup:

Edited by Crymson

Joseph and Belfour have put up similar numbers to Hasek???

Hasek - 2.13, .908

Belfour - 2.8, .900

Joseph - 3.13, .896

Thanks for posting the stats...I was going to but you beat me to it. :)

Dom has been nothing short of fantastic for us this season. No, he's not as good as he was for us back in 2002, but he's done everything expected of him, and then some. He's probably the second or third best goaltender in the NHL this season. He has earned the opportunity to come back for the 2007-08 season if he wants to.

I shudder at the thought of an Osgood/Howard pairing next year. Even Osgood/McLennan. Anything that has Osgood as the #1 goalie. And nowhere are you going to get a starting goalie as good as Dom who will play for what Dom is getting. We're simply not able to pay $6-7 million for a goalie.

Sign Dom for one more season and use some of the money saved to sign Datsyuk (as long as he has the post-season we all expect him - and he needs - to have).

1000th post......

Ok, so I would like to wait for playoffs to really make a judgement as to who should go but as of right now here are my thoughts:

Datsyuk - Going to receive way too much money for what he contributes when it matters. Also, the kid has a lot of talent and he could easily bring back a lot in return to the organization.

Dom- He's just too old and too much of a liability

Maltby - Past his prime, the grind line is officially done :(

Sammy - What does he add to the team?

Lilja - garbage

1000th post......

Ok, so I would like to wait for playoffs to really make a judgement as to who should go but as of right now here are my thoughts:

Datsyuk - Going to receive way too much money for what he contributes when it matters. Also, the kid has a lot of talent and he could easily bring back a lot in return to the organization.

Dom- He's just too old and too much of a liability

Maltby - Past his prime, the grind line is officially done :(

Sammy - What does he add to the team?

Lilja - garbage

:lol:

Im ready to say bye to Lang, Samuelsson and Schneider (depending on what kind of money he wants).

Everybody seems to forget that Lang excells in the Playoffs. He's big and strong and can protect the puck. Sure he's not fast and is lazy at times but he brings it come playoff time. It he has another great playoff, we should keep him. Who cares what he does during the regular season.

Didn't you guys watch the Edmonton-Detroit series last year? Lang and Z were ther only ones that showed up.

Everybody seems to forget that Lang excells in the Playoffs. He's big and strong and can protect the puck. Sure he's not fast and is lazy at times but he brings it come playoff time. It he has another great playoff, we should keep him. Who cares what he does during the regular season.

Didn't you guys watch the Edmonton-Detroit series last year? Lang and Z were ther only ones that showed up.

Yes I saw the playoffs and I saw him in the playoffs in years past. Yes, he shows up. He is also overpaid. If there is anyone on this board who likes Lang, its me, and I say we should let him walk. Big, strong, puck protector= Todd Bertuzzi. Bert is more likely to be re-signed than Lang. If Lang wants to play for 2mil (max) I would be pleased to have him. To say who cares what your second line centre does during the regular season is just flat out stupid.

Lang - Goobye. He sealed is fate when he scored on Hasek the other night

Maltby - Makes too much for what he brings...takes up too much ice time

Schneider - Get Souray to replace him

Draper - Trade him for Tucker

Osgood - Still gives up soft goals...Bring Howard up full time with Hasek

Lang- He can go, but not because he re-directed a shot past our goalie.

Maltby- Seen better days, a Holland favourite and he will probably play for less.

Schneider- We do not have money to sign Souray in the off season and pay Dats and Bert and such.

Draper- Has a no trade clause and he is pleased about being a Red Wing. The Leafs re-signed Tucker for a reason; he is a part of their bleek future.

Osgood- He is a good backup who is capable of starting or splitting time. Hasek would NOT split time with Howard and be a mentor like Ozzie can and will likely be.

Thinking I should clarify the Hasek comment with the fact that what happened with Ottawa last year, that's what I meant by him being a liability

I kind of thought so. But come on, nobody thought he would have a 2.13 gaa and be playing as well as he has been.

grammar

Edited by superstarsingh

Lang - Goobye. He sealed is fate when he scored on Hasek the other night

Maltby - Makes too much for what he brings...takes up too much ice time

Schneider - Get Souray to replace him

Draper - Trade him for Tucker

Osgood - Still gives up soft goals...Bring Howard up full time with Hasek

Souray may be younger, but he is going to command a ton of money, and he is every bit a pylon as our other defensive liabilities.

Draper - refer to Harold's Signature ... "No Trade Clause!"

I kind of thought so. But come on, nobody thought he would have a 2.13 gaa and be playing as well as he has been.

grammar

OK, again clarification..... I think Hasek has been very good this year and have always regarded him as IMO the most talented goalie of all time, but having said that, I still think that its a case of risk vs. reward. When you have Hasek on your team you are dealing with a lot of risk, but when he's on his game you have a big time reward. Think of it this way, its more of a safe investment to let him walk in the offseason

What makes you assume Hasek is going to retire after this season?

I haven't heard antyhing, or seen any indications that might hang up the skates.

If Dom doesn't retire, we don't need a goalie then do we?

Seems to me that the only foreeeable situation that would call for a new goalie is Dom retiring. And as it is a very real possibility, that's what I went with.

OK, again clarification..... I think Hasek has been very good this year and have always regarded him as IMO the most talented goalie of all time, but having said that, I still think that its a case of risk vs. reward. When you have Hasek on your team you are dealing with a lot of risk, but when he's on his game you have a big time reward. Think of it this way, its more of a safe investment to let him walk in the offseason

Ken Holland. Master of incentive laced deals.

Lang- He can go, but not because he re-directed a shot past our goalie.

Maltby- Seen better days, a Holland favourite and he will probably play for less.

Schneider- We do not have money to sign Souray in the off season and pay Dats and Bert and such.

Draper- Has a no trade clause and he is pleased about being a Red Wing. The Leafs re-signed Tucker for a reason; he is a part of their bleek future.

Osgood- He is a good backup who is capable of starting or splitting time. Hasek would NOT split time with Howard and be a mentor like Ozzie can and will likely be.

I have to agree with you about all of them in fact. I don't think Hasek would be good mentor at all. He seems like more of a person you watch, not learn from. Not like Ozzie. He seems like a good guy and easy to get along with.

The greater the risk, the greater the reward.

You can put $5,000 in a savings account and accrue 2% interest for the next 20 years...a sure bet, but you won't get a lot for your money. Or, you could put that $5,000 in the stock market and maybe double your money in 10 years...or lose it all.

Ozzie's the safe route...he's younger and not so injury prone. He's also not as good of a goalie as Dom is. Dom is like the stock market - a riskier choice, because of his past hsitory with injuries, but he's a much better goaltender. If he works out, the reward is worth the risk.

I think you've got to go with Dom. Safe just doesn't cut it here...it's Stanley or bust in Hockeytown.

I have to agree with you about all of them in fact. I don't think Hasek would be good mentor at all. He seems like more of a person you watch, not learn from. Not like Ozzie. He seems like a good guy and easy to get along with.

Funny that people believe Dom isn't a good mentor and teacher. Biron, Roloson and Emery among others would probably all disagree with you. Emery called him "my buddy," and said Dom was great about working with him. Legace reportedly adored Dom, even had Dom's number added to his tribute helmet when Dom retired in 2002. Joey McDonald reported that Hasek sent him a text message when Joey was sent to GR earlier in the season for a couple of games, saying win a couple of games and hurry back, that he (Dom) would be glad to see him. McDonald was thrilled and said it meant the world to him that Dom did that. Sounds like something a nice guy might do, to notice the third string backup like that. ;)

Maybe you read too much into the media's opinion of Hasek, which is skewed, to put it lightly. No doubt at all that Ozzie is a great guy and a gentleman. Hasek wasn't hired to be a mentor, by the way, even if he does that anyway.

Dom: Will probably return (just my gut feeling) barring injury. He never says what he's going to do before the season is over, just one of his little quirks. He works cheap and is consistently in the top 3-5 goalies in every stat. I could live with another season of Dom and Ozzie, the sexy tandem. :lol:

Lang: Oh, Bobbert. I love ya, man, but you won't be a Wing next season. What is your problem? Don't like playing for the coolest team in the NHL? :unsure:

Maltby: gone. He makes too much money to be invisible. I think the Grind Line made him look better than he is, or at least, is now.

Schneider: Recent slack play aside, I still like Schneids. If he steps it up in the playoffs, I would love to see him stay.

Draper: Wing for life, I hope.

Ozzie: Wing for life, I hope, as well. :thumbup:

5 Reasons Lang SHOULD NOT go:

1. Huddles DOES NOT approve

2. Who would be our big scapegoat? Seriously, who?

3. He is 5th in like everything. Who doesn't like a #5 guy? 5 is a good round number

4. He usually can do stuff in the playoffs which is always good.

5. He has a funny song when he scores a goal at the Joe