880 replies to this topic

#121 glasgowcelticwing

glasgowcelticwing

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(Legionnaire11 @ May 8, 2007 - 02:20AM) View Post

...I had a horrible weekend. I went on an 8 hour road trip which obviously included stopping for fast food.

McDonalds, Burger King, Sonic, Sonic again and McDonalds again.

I guess after a month of not eating that stuff had a bigger affect on me than I thought. I woke up this morning with the worst stomach ache ever and suffered 3 reversals.

While this weekend meltdown was a big mistake, if I can take any positives from it, i'd say that I will not be consuming any more of that junk for a long time.

Don't worry bud everybody fall's off the "Wagon" now and again. tongue.gif You can still do it once in a while. smile.gif

I've been working all sorts of crazy hour's the past few week's and have been eating a lot of junk myself. but because I've been so busy I've also been skipping a lot of meal's. My weight hasn't changed but I have been feeling like crap tho.

Edited by glasgowcelticwing, 07 May 2007 - 08:52 PM.

^^Thanks Offsides^^
RIP PHIL O'DONNELL,1972-2007.
RIP TOMMY BURNS, 1956-2008 .
you'll never walk alone.

#122 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:22 PM

So I finally got moving on my own weight-loss goals. Got in a workout each evening since leaving port now. I'm gonna have to get running shoes, my current pair of tennies is not going to cut it. My starting weight is 196 lbs. That's up from between 145-150 in high school, and I haven't grown an inch. I've added muscle since then, so I'm thinking 155-160 would be ideal, but for right now my goal is one pound a week to be at 177 by the end of this deployment.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#123 MSUDoubleJ19

MSUDoubleJ19

Mmm, pancakes.

• HoF Booster
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:12 AM

I did not meet my goals last week. sad.gif

Sickness mixed with business at work = I was wearing tiredpants. I couldn't work out to save my life. I did stay on track for my eating though, and had 6 good days and 1 bad day.

So this week I'm hoping to get over my cold in the next couple days and get back into some workouts!
And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

#124 glasgowcelticwing

glasgowcelticwing

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

I thaught I'd bump this thread ,

I feel great that I lost all the weight that I did and I've had a lot of complements too say how healthy I look , but there's also been a few people that I haven't seen for a long time that have been asuming I've had a disease or an eating disorder to loose all the weight that I have mad.gif It's really starting too piss me off.
^^Thanks Offsides^^
you'll never walk alone.

#125 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

I get that sometimes too. laugh.gif

People tell me I don't need to lose any weight, and it's not like I'm planning to go overboard as I don't need to lose much, but still would just like to lose about 6 - 8 more over the next few weeks. Currently hovering in the middle pretty much around 145 - 150. Keep in mind I'm only about 5'7" so my weight/build is pretty respectable and average for my short size.

One thing I have started to add to my workouts during the week is treadmill running during the early mornings. I cannot stand it with a passion, but I just said f**k it recently and quit being a baby and am sucking it up and doing it now.

I try to do it at least 3 times a week for 20 - 25 minutes a time (along with running outdoors or cycling once during the weekends) will greatly help me get in better shape. Working out on EFX machines is nice, but when you hold on to the handrails more, you don't get as much workout with the legs obviously.

Unless I'm just going way too hard or fast on a treadmill, I'm not grabbing any handrails, which will mean more work for my legs and more energy to put into it.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 23 May 2007 - 07:26 PM.

#126 DetroitIan

DetroitIan

^^^^ The Dark Defender

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

I need to lose some. I gained like almost 20 winter pounds. Im hoping to be back to 185 by mid-june. Hopefully I'll meet that goal.
What time is it??? IT'S HOMER TIME!!!

Yzerman is God.

LGWer since June '02.

#127 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:49 PM

Update time. My ship is holding a Biggest Loser contest, and I am a Big Loser, so I joined biggrin.gif Starting weight was 195.9 lbs and a 40 inch waistline. (Barf.) First weigh-in was today, and I have dropped to 194.5 and a waistline of 39.5 inches.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#128 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(betterREDthandead @ May 23, 2007 - 06:49PM) View Post

Update time. My ship is holding a Biggest Loser contest, and I am a Big Loser, so I joined biggrin.gif Starting weight was 195.9 lbs and a 40 inch waistline. (Barf.) First weigh-in was today, and I have dropped to 194.5 and a waistline of 39.5 inches.

What kind of numbers are you shooting for then? What would you consider you 'fighting weight'?

#129 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE(DaKineMaui @ May 24, 2007 - 01:16AM) View Post

What kind of numbers are you shooting for then? What would you consider you 'fighting weight'?

I'm aiming for one pound a week on this cruise, which would take me to 177. But, I'm only 5'7" and when I did weigh 175-ish, I was still pudgy around the waist. I weighed 145-150 coming out of high school but that was my swimming weight with my muscles built for endurance, not for strength. I've put on muscle since then, but at the same time I was getting fatter because I wasn't swimming any more in college. I just spent too many words saying I don't know what my "fighting weight" ought to be. But I'm guessing between 155-160.
Posted Image

#130 glasgowcelticwing

glasgowcelticwing

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(SouthernWingsFan @ May 24, 2007 - 01:25AM) View Post

I get that sometimes too. laugh.gif

People tell me I don't need to lose any weight, and it's not like I'm planning to go overboard as I don't need to lose much, but still would just like to lose about 6 - 8 more over the next few weeks. Currently hovering in the middle pretty much around 145 - 150. Keep in mind I'm only about 5'7" so my weight/build is pretty respectable and average for my short size.

One thing I have started to add to my workouts during the week is treadmill running during the early mornings. I cannot stand it with a passion, but I just said f**k it recently and quit being a baby and am sucking it up and doing it now.

I try to do it at least 3 times a week for 20 - 25 minutes a time (along with running outdoors or cycling once during the weekends) will greatly help me get in better shape. Working out on EFX machines is nice, but when you hold on to the handrails more, you don't get as much workout with the legs obviously.

Unless I'm just going way too hard or fast on a treadmill, I'm not grabbing any handrails, which will mean more work for my legs and more energy to put into it.

I'm 5'7" too , weigh in at anything between 142 - 145. Waste size is 30". I'm thin but it's not like I'm skinny or anything. I guess everybody must just be used too seeing me fat ?? wink.gif unsure.gif

I try exersising as much as I can , but the past couple of month's I've been working waaayyy to much and don't get to do as much as I would like.
^^Thanks Offsides^^
you'll never walk alone.

#131 Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Simpsonized!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:15 AM

i'm kinda stuck floating between 210-215. i've been doing the same exercises, eating the same good diet and all, but the weight loss has leveled out at this point.
IPB Image
"The people at first were saying, 'Why is there a team in Nashville?' But when you come here and you see the fans and the excitement, my question would be, "Why would there not be a team in Nashville?" - Yanic Perreault, January 18, 2006

#132 glasgowcelticwing

glasgowcelticwing

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE(Legionnaire11 @ May 25, 2007 - 04:15PM) View Post

i'm kinda stuck floating between 210-215. i've been doing the same exercises, eating the same good diet and all, but the weight loss has leveled out at this point.

I had the same problem's when I was loosing weight. This might sound dumb , but I think it might have somthing to do with your body adjusting itself to the weight loss. unsure.gif Also added to the fact that you'll be building your muscle's up with all the exersise your doing.
^^Thanks Offsides^^
you'll never walk alone.

#133 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Legionnaire11 @ May 25, 2007 - 09:15AM) View Post

That happens. You eventually reach a plateau. Keep at it, and you'll continue to lose weight, but it won't be nearly as quickly.

Today I had one of the secretaries comment that she could tell I was losing weight. Not bad, considering I spent most of last weekend drinking and eating bad food. Gotta get back to the gym.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#134 Bad Vlad Forever

Bad Vlad Forever

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

I've dropped 10 lbs recently, and could stand to do away with 20-30 more before I go backpacking to Mt Whitney again this August.

My hockey league starts back up in a couple of weeks too. I'd like to drop another 10 before then as well. I'm so much quicker when I'm 40 lbs lighter. Go figure
"For my game, I don't need to score the goal,"
"I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."
-Vladimir Konstantinov

#135 Lidstromrules16

Lidstromrules16

the best thing about life is knowing you put it together- T. Rez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

well, I have been super slacking lately. Normally I run 2 miles a day, but havent even ran in the past 3 weeks. Anyway, I decided to actually go running again today. I did 4 miles in roughly 33 minutes, 58 seconds. Thats a little less than 9 minutes a mile, which isnt bad considering I run the mile in 6 and a half.

#136 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

Something I just implemented today and hope to do just about every day.

I took a rated-G version out of Chris Chelios' workout routine and worked out in the sauna room at the highest tempeprature possible at my health club today for nearly 45 minutes. Granted I had the day off and probably won't have as much time to dedicate to this when I'm working but...

The 45 minutes weren't really that unbearable (there was no bike in there to start with so... laugh.gif). I just did simple exercises, situps, pushups, arm pushes, etc. I put in some paced-jogging in there as well and some leg lifts.

It felt really damn good despite the extremely high heat, felt great after. Exercising in the sauna is a GREAT WAY to lose weight if you have the mental and physical discipline.

I might soon buy a Tae-Bo or related tape and start to learn some proper ways to box or throw my arms around to get more of a workout in the sauna in the future.

#137 Lidstromrules16

Lidstromrules16

the best thing about life is knowing you put it together- T. Rez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:37 AM

cheap mans version of chlios' workout........run or bike in 80 degree heat with a sweater and winter hat on. I dont recommend this, as I did it once, only with a long sleave shirt, not a sweater and still felt like I was going to throw up, wont do it again smile.gif Plus, I am not sure how safe it is with heat stroke and all possible.

Edited by Lidstromrules16, 29 May 2007 - 08:39 AM.

#138 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

Well, day #2 of the sauna experiment was successful. I was able to work out in it at my health club for about a half hour early this morning before work. I wish I remember to ask one of the instructors there how hot their sauna room gets. It was on full blast and I was seriously feeling it after a short while. Typiclally, a sauna room temperature can be anywhere from 176 - 212 degree Farenheit, or so it says from this page.

http://hypertextbook...mtangWong.shtml

"Sauna." World Book 2005 Ed. "In a sauna, stones are heated on top of a furnace. The temperature in the room ranges from 176 to 212°F (80 to 100°C)." 80 - 100°C'

It also says that sauna rooms typically aren't all that humid, and it is comparable to working out in hot summer heat with high humidity. Both days I felt the heat in there pretty good, but it wasn't just overbearing or stifling me from minute #1. My guess is the sauna room at my health club had to be around 200 degrees.

I was really feeling it today though because I went in the room almost immediately after running pretty hard on the treadmill for 20 minutes, about 2 1/2 miles. It sounds unbearable, but you can still push yourself hard in there even though the temperature is out the wazoo. Just pace yourself and don't over-exert immediately, and make sure you have a cold water fountain nearby or a cold water bottle in the room. Even though it is hot in there, if the bottle is cold, it will still take a good while for it to warm up.

If you want to lose weight and feel like you are getting your body toned, stretch and work out in a sauna room for 20 - 30 minutes most days. It is something I am definitely going to keep up at with a lot of focus.

#139 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

Basically now my overall workouts/get in shape routine tries to consist of the following as long as my schedule isn’t out of what and I’m in a normal routine with work and personal life…

Try to work out early in the morning 3 out of 4 days during the week around 5:30am, consisting of 20 minutes of hard jogging/running on the treadmill, 15 – 20 minutes of upper body weightlifting (time pending), and working out in a fully heated sauna (at least 175 degrees Fahrenheit, probably around 200) for about 20 – 30 minutes doing as much stretching, sit ups, leg lifts, leg raises, arm/bench pushups as I can, and some light interval jogging without over exhausting myself early from the high heat, because it can definitely wear on you quickly. I rarely workout at night, that’s the time for my body to rest.

Perform a spinning class Friday evenings for about an hour, and then go in the sauna for some more workout time if I have the energy or go in there to rest the body. Sometimes I lift weights after spinning if I have the juice, sometimes I don’t. I don’t lift before spinning due to having to grab bike handlebars, want my arms to be loose, etc.

Over weekends, I try to bike outdoors around 20 miles once, and one day of outdoor running during the weekend of about 4 – 5 miles. If I’m not too busy and I have the energy, I’ll lift weights or work out some in the health club sauna.

So, I try to do a lot, and it’s pretty demanding at times with work and a fairly long commute time and such. Sometimes my body will just say no, especially with one of my knees that will never be 100% ever again due to an ACL and MCL tear about three years ago. However, I just try to keep one main thought in my head that it’s only roughly 1 – 2 hours of wear and tear on the body a day. I have the other 22 – 23 hours of the day to rest the body with little wear and tear.

But recently switching from working out in the evenings to the early morning time has served me well, as well as recently starting to exercise in the sauna. Since last Thursday, the only day where I haven’t done much physical activity was on Saturday, and I was outdoors for a good chunk of that day playing golf, so it’s not like I was lying around being a lazy slob.

Nobody will mistake me for being an athlete or a cross country runner anytime soon, but I’m really starting to see a difference lately in my physical appearance, slowly starting to get more toned and I’m not getting gassed out after just 10 minutes of exercise. I really feel my physical stamina and endurance really starting to increase more. My mental attitude is changing as well, wanting to exercise and wanting to fight through the hard jogs or the high heat. Everybody’s body is different, but from what I have recently been doing exercising, I’ve never felt more disciplined and determined from a physical and mental standpoint as I have recently, not so much from the weight losing aspect, but in being fit overall. I feel much more determined than I was when I dieted and lost a lot of weight a few years ago. I’ll never be the most physical person or fastest guy out there in my lifetime. But, at least for now, I have that mentality that I will never, ever quit or give up. Hopefully that will stay with me for a long, long while.

#140 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:56 PM

SWF- I never thought that theres a point to going in a sauna unless you're in a competition where you need to quickly cut weight. IMO is just seems like youre unnecessarily draining yourself further. All your doing is just sweating off water weight arent you? Weight which will return after you get fully rehydrated naturally. Its not like running where you're physically active, this is just sitting there sweating! So when you think about it, whats really the point? Its kinda like the guy who just does one set of 50 barbell curls just so he can look in the mirror and admire his pumped up arms, all the while really accomplishing nothing but a temporary effect. When people exit a sauner they look more toned so they think its doing something beneficial.

EDIT: Oops i read you post again and realized youre actually exercising in the sauna and not just sitting there. But still, my point about the sauna being an unnecessary drain still stands.
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users