• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Datsyuk Signs 7-year, $46.9M Contract Extension

Rate this topic

If 1130 scooped 1270 that means Regner must be working for them or behind the scenes now. Doesn't matter who is working for those stations, because they all got scooped by LGW. :clap: This shows if you want to be in the know about hockey this is the place to be. Now let’s hope Datsyuk goes out into the PLAYOFFS and shows why they paid him all that money.

1270 should not have got rid of Art! They we arguing if there was a player max salary in the new cap!! Doug had to google it to find out and Scott did the math and determined the Max a player can get is 10m. haha

Sorry just killing time. ;)

The contract is 5-Years, no salary mentioned yet.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...PDATE/704060452

Holy crap, that's a hell of an extension. I like the fact that we won't have this circus repeat itself for another five years.

(I'm praying that Zetterberg's extension won't be a circus... :P)

EDITED: I'm a pottymouth today... :lol:

Edited by edicius

Are Draper and Zetterberg really better defensively....it's certainly debatable. Datsyuk has basically played Zetterberg's role since Hank went down and been just as strong on both ends of the ice. Datsyuk has been above average defensively for 2 or 3 years now and only recently has he received praise for his two-way work.

Datsyuk deserves praise for his two way play, especially this season.

But you're off your nut if you think he's as good or better than Drapes and Z. Draper's main focus is shutting other guys down. He doesn't have to worry too much about making plays or scoring goals.

I don't want to turn this thread into something that looks like bashing Dats. I'm not.

But to call him the best defensive forward on the team is definitely over the top.

Datsyuk deserves praise for his two way play, especially this season.

But you're off your nut if you think he's as good or better than Drapes and Z. Draper's main focus is shutting other guys down. He doesn't have to worry too much about making plays or scoring goals.

I don't want to turn this thread into something that looks like bashing Dats. I'm not.

But to call him the best defensive forward on the team is definitely over the top.

I'll concur with that. He's one of the better defensive forwards on the team, but to say he's the best puts him in Selke territory and he's not even close to that. His element of offense and puck possession balance that out, however.

Why? IMO it's only the perception of Datsyuk as a skill guy that makes it seem outlandish to say Datsyuk is Detroit's best defensive forward. Let me ask you this...has Datsyuk done anything to prove otherwise? He's rarely out of position, he back-checks like a demon and leads the league in takeaways after being in the top 20 the year before. As I said, a case can definitely be made.

GREAT news to wake up to. I remember earlier in the season where I would be frowning at Dats whenever he had the puck thinking, "Next year he'll be doing that for some other team." Not any more! We know it's for 5 years, now just how much money it's for. It's probably in the range of 5.5 - 6.5 million, I don' think they'd give him 7.

I was in favor of the Wings offering him $1 million for every playoff goal he scores...lol

Edited by Hockeytown0001

While Dats has done a considerably better job this season on defense than last, Hank has him beat.

Datsyuk is becoming an even better complete player. It's great to see.

Why? IMO it's only the perception of Datsyuk as a skill guy that makes it seem outlandish to say Datsyuk is Detroit's best defensive forward. Let me ask you this...has Datsyuk done anything to prove otherwise? He's rarely out of position, he back-checks like a demon and leads the league in takeaways after being in the top 20 the year before. As I said, a case can definitely be made.

Sure a case can be made, but not a good one.

I'm not saying Dats is bad defensively. But there's a big difference between being responsible defensively and being the best defensive forward on the team.

In a clutch penalty kill situation, it's gonna be a guy like Draper on the ice. It's not a knock on Dats. He's just not the best defensive forward on the team.

The guy's got crazy skills, but seriously, let's keep some perspective here.

GREAT news to wake up to. I remember earlier in the season where I would be frowning at Dats whenever he had the puck thinking, "Next year he'll be doing that for some other team." Not any more! We know it's for 5 years, now just how much money it's for. It's probably in the range of 5.5 - 6.5 million, I don' think they'd give him 7.

I was in favor of the Wings offering him $1 million for every playoff goal he scores...lol

Just getting up now? D*mn, that would be nice. :P

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

:clap:

I am chipping in kind of late, but I am glad we re-signed Datsyuk.

He's an excellent two way player, and can back check.

This made my friday.

Now as long as we can get him to be a playoff performer then this will be sweet.

and 5 years, wow. That is good though, so we don't have to keep going through this process.

I wonder how much this contract is worth, hopefully its not something to ridiculous!

Datsyuk is becoming an even better complete player. It's great to see.

I agree that Dats is becoming a very complete player, but I just don't see him as the all-around player that Z is at this point.

The above statement is in no way a knock against Dats.

I totally agree...I got a text from the detnews this morning saying Dats was re-signed and I had to come on here to make sure it was true. Very very good news to wake up to.

Jeepers, five years? Pavel is living right.

I guess we shouldn't have expected anything less after the years he locked up the other future cornerstones up with (Hank, Nik), but hey, I expected something less.

Like harold said, Kenny's been on a roll of late so... Fingers crossed.

Holland has said in the past that in the new NHL, he would have to build the team around 3 to 4 players.

Datsuk has carried us a bit since Zetterberg went down, which probably convinced Holland that Dats was one of those players he wanted to build around.

Edited by Airborn

I think Datsyuk is gifted with some great skill and talent and can be an elite player in the leagure for years (if he isn't already).

My concern is that sometimes he seems to coast. He plays better when someone lights a fire under his ass or motivates him. I hope a 5 year deal doesn't make him too complacent.

Not taking anything away from what he's done this year: he's totally worked hard and has become a well rounded player. I just want him to continue working hard.

This is great. Hank was asked who the most improved player was on "inside hockeytown" and he said Pavel, because he had evolved into a more complete player. Mark my words, He will produce in the playoffs.

Edited by Mighty Wings