• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitRockCity13

How slim is the chance of the Presidents' Trophy?

Rate this topic

With Buffalo at 111 points with two games remaining against the bottom-dwellers of the Eastern Conference (Capitals Saturday, Flyers Sunday), chances are slim that the Wings will pull out the Presidents' Trophy fo the third consecutive season.

Even with a win at the Joe tomorrow, that would only give us 113, which means we would need Buffalo to either lose both games (they beat us in a shoot out in our only meeting this season), and only one of them can be in OT. To put it simply, Buffalo can earn a maximum of one point if we want to win the Presidents' Trophy. And that's only if we get a win tomorrow.

What do you think our chances are? Between getting a win tomorrow after our sub-par play this month, and the Sabers earning only one point this weekend against the East's two worst teams, I'd say slim to none. I hope they prove me wrong, but looking at it, that's how I see it.

Also, I know the Presidents' Trophy isn't the most important thing to get this season, and the fact that we clinched the Western Conference is huge in itself, but I'd love for us to be the first team to win the PT three seasons in a row :)

Let me know what you think, and it's good to be back here.

DetroitRockCity13

Honestly, if we never see that trophy in Hockeytown again, it'll be too soon.

IMO, of course. It just seems to me, apart from the '02 run, the President's trophy has been a curse to us.

Haha.. You're right. Our playoff runs haven't been spectacular after we finished with the best regular season record. But I think that if somehow we manage to get it, we'll know that we have to step it up in the playoffs because of how we've played this month.

Just my opinion. :blush:

"Also, I know the Presidents' Trophy isn't the most important thing to get this season, and the fact that we clinched the Western Conference is huge in itself, but I'd love for us to be the first team to win the PT three seasons in a row."

SORRY "DETROITROCKCITY13" BUT THE MONTREAL CANADIENS DID IT 1976-1978! (HOWEVER, TO BE HONEST, THEY WERE NHL CHAMPIONS BECAUSE THERE WASN'T A PRESIDENTS TROPHY AT THAT TIME). BETWEEN 1949 TO 1955 THE RED WINGS WON THE NHL CHAMPIONSHIP SEVEN STRAIGHT YEARS!

"Jedi" said, "Honestly, if we never see that trophy in Hockeytown again, it'll be too soon," and about a week ago one of our great statisticians posted numbers to show that Presidents Trophy winners who go on to win the Stanley Cup are (if I remember correctly), less than 25%.

On the subject of this topic: No way will we win the Presidents Trophy this year!

SORRY "DETROITROCKCITY13" BUT THE MONTREAL CANADIENS DID IT 1976-1978! (HOWEVER, TO BE HONEST, THEY WERE NHL CHAMPIONS BECAUSE THERE WASN'T A PRESIDENTS TROPHY AT THAT TIME). BETWEEN 1949 TO 1955 THE RED WINGS WON THE NHL CHAMPIONSHIP SEVEN STRAIGHT YEARS!

That's why I said the first team to win the Presidents Trophy three times in a row. Nice try, though.

And turn off Caps Lock. It's obnoxious.

Edited by DetroitRockCity13

Like I have said in previous threads, I am greedy and would like to have it.

Winning it 3 times in a row hasn't been done since Scotty Bowman's Montreal Canadians in 1976,77,78.

So I would like for us to tie the record.

But for some reason I don't see it happening, with the oppenets that Buffalo has.

So congrats Sabres.

Guest Tunbo Batman

only 25% of PT winners went on to win the cup.

only 0,039% of non-PT winners went on to win the cup.

i'd like that third PT in a row.

Yeah, ppl can say what they want about curses etc. But I still would liek to win it. It is a great accomplishment for the team none the less. Sure I want to go on to win the Stanley far more, but it is still cool to have.

But with the Sabres having to face the Caps and Philly, probably not gunna happen.

I would have liked the Wings to win the Presidents Trophy also, but people never mention how many "trophies" a team won, they only point with pride to how many "cups" they won. Furthermore, the Presidents Trophy is perhaps "tainted" with the charge of beating-up on weaker teams whereas the Stanley Cup is a playoff of the best teams.

The PT is not a curse.

Only 1 team wins the President's Trophy

Only 1 team wins the Stanley Cup

The odds of them being the same team are very low because of the nature of NHL playoffs.

If the top 2 teams in the league played it out in 1 round of the playoffs the odds would be very high that the winner of the PT would also win the Cup, but as it is set up, it's almost anyone's games, and is determined on bounces and injuries as much as skill and great goaltending.