• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heroes of Hockeytown

First Round MVP

Rate this topic

Top Three Stars of the Series: :clap:

1. Dan Cleary (The Beast)

2. Mikka Kiprusoff (The only Flames player who showed up for the playoffs).

3. Chris Chelios (There was one F-Up but otherwise he played great defense...and he scored one too!)

Bottom Three Players Who Need to Step Up Their Game :angry:

1. Robert Lang (despite the goal in Game 6).

2. Nick Lidstrom

3. Pavel Datsyuk...Yes, Pavel needs to play better. He was great in Games 1 and 2. But then Dats disappeared from Game 3 onward. He need to show 100 percent intensity for all games.

I thought several players were stellar, including my newest boy-friend, Franzen. :P Drapes was great, so were Cleary, Calder, Cheli, Dats and yes, even Bobbert Lang. What impressed me was that everyone contributed at crucial times in the series. Depth is good!

Nick and Dom were fantastic, but I expected that out of both of them, it's their job to lead and be there when the team needs them most. :)

3. Chris Chelios (There was one F-Up but otherwise he played great defense...and he scored one too!)

2. Nick Lidstrom

3. Pavel Datsyuk...Yes, Pavel needs to play better. He was great in Games 1 and 2. But then Dats disappeared from Game 3 onward. He need to show 100 percent intensity for all games.

I would disagree with all three there in the bottom, but as for Lids, are you on crack??

He had one bad game, but still managed to get 2 goals and 6 assists in the series while containing Igoonla.

Lids is my vote for the series MVP. You can fixate on his one off game, or look at all the things he did right this series.

Other great players: Cleary, Franzen, and Lilja. Yes Lilja. He has really stepped up his game and is playing solid hockey when the Wings needed it.

And Dom didn't have to stand on his head like Kipper, but he made several giant saves that kept the Wings in the games and gave them a chance to win.

for Calgary, no one touches Kipper. He's the only reason it was even a series.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

2. Nick Lidstrom

Some people are never satisfied. Lidstrom, a defenseman, led the team in scoring in the series, while being joined at the hip to Iginla. Datsyuk had 5 points, and 3 goals, thus doubling his playoff goal total. He also had 9(!) hits, including some really nice ones (Phooneuf). That is more points, goals and hits than Zetterberg (who was coming off an injury).

In the caseof Lang, you may have a point. Lang played physical, scored a timely goal, but did have some turnovers and defensive lapses.

As far as the true MVP for the series, it's a tough call, but who stood out to me as far as everything not just stats was Cleary. Honarable mention to Franzen, Kipper (sweep if not for him), and Lids.

Unsung hero: Lilja honarable mention: Cheli, Flip

Key players who told nay-sayers to shove it: Dats, Lilja Honarable metinon : Cheli

Basically you have to give it up to the entire team, cause without everyone pulling together it doesn't get done. I do feel that Dom, Schenider, and Drapes should get some mention, along with Bert and Z battleing back from injury to make big impacts. Even everyone's new whipping boy Sammy, while not scoreing was making some good hits and had a couple of key back checks that broke up great Calgary scoring chances. Can't wait for the doom and gloomers to show up again after tonights SJ and Dallas game.

You have to go with Kipper. He played absolutely fantastic. The series would've ended much quicker if he hadn't been in net.

For the Wings? I'm going to go with Dan Cleary for scoring a big goal in Game #5 and just being really physical out there.

Cleary, he was all over the place. Throwing hits, making plays. He busted his ass every shift and that is what hockey is all about, especially playoff hockey. He let Phaneuf know that he could not give a flying f*** about him as he went toe to toe with him every single night. Franzen was also a beast, he was flying all series long and justice was served on a silver platter when he scored the series winner.

MVP? The 2006/2007 Detroit Red Wings. We got balanced scoring, great D, and these boys aren't afraid to finish checks. To the remaining teams in the playoffs I put you on notice, there's a storm a brewing in the Motor City and its either heading south or west, all women and children should be keep indoors. Face the storm if you dare but beware of the risks.

I'm not being over confident, this team is 100% less monkey and 200% more swagger.

Cleary: Absolutely flawless, phenominal play. scrummed like a champion, impressed all with quick bursts that led to chances and goals. Hit like he was twice his size and was part of the group that made the Calgary power play a non-factor in the victories

Lidstrom: As always, precise and dominant play. I smell Conn Smythe if this thing goes far. Few mistakes, but still the best defenseman in the NHL by a wide margin.

Chelios: Dug, rushed, blocked shots, and checked like he was 20. Played smart, smart, SMART defense the whole series. In my opinion, equally as impressive as Nik with some old school style points. Can't say enough about his first round play.

Filppula: Good to see him getting more minutes, he definately earned them and played great. Huge goals, made great chances, and can hold onto the puck with the best of them. Style of play reminicent of Steve in how he skates and digs.

Franzen was great, which was no huge surprise. Lilja played great, HUGE SURPRISE. Lang played like crap outside of a few professional plays Sunday. Schneider played hard nosed hockey, which is what the wings need. Datsyuk played great, and Zetterberg successfully shook off the cobwebs of his injury.

In my opinion, the first round MVP goes to CLEARY and CHELIOS. Both effectively stepped up their play and made a huge impact on the series.

Cleary: Absolutely flawless, phenominal play. scrummed like a champion, impressed all with quick bursts that led to chances and goals. Hit like he was twice his size and was part of the group that made the Calgary power play a non-factor in the victories

Lidstrom: As always, precise and dominant play. I smell Conn Smythe if this thing goes far. Few mistakes, but still the best defenseman in the NHL by a wide margin.

Chelios: Dug, rushed, blocked shots, and checked like he was 20. Played smart, smart, SMART defense the whole series. In my opinion, equally as impressive as Nik with some old school style points. Can't say enough about his first round play.

Filppula: Good to see him getting more minutes, he definately earned them and played great. Huge goals, made great chances, and can hold onto the puck with the best of them. Style of play reminicent of Steve in how he skates and digs.

Franzen was great, which was no huge surprise. Lilja played great, HUGE SURPRISE. Lang played like crap outside of a few professional plays Sunday. Schneider played hard nosed hockey, which is what the wings need. Datsyuk played great, and Zetterberg successfully shook off the cobwebs of his injury.

Well said on all counts...

Cleary is my pick, although LIds, Franzen or Hasek could be the mvp easily as well...

Im impressed with the kids and Lilja too. The pain train brought it!

It has to be Hasek this series. Yeah, he wasn't overly worked, but he made monumental saves in the undecided moments in the biggest games in the series. He stopped breakaways, robbed cross-crease passes and played with an edge. If we had Manny back there like last year, we'd most likely be headed to game 7. Dom closed the door when Calgary could have still snuck in, and for that he's our MVP.

As almost everyone has said, Cleary and Mule were our two brightest forwards in the series. I also have to give shoutouts to Hank, Homer, Filpulla, Draper and Maltby. They finished checks lift and right and constantly controlled the play whenever they were on the ice. Also, our entire D played controlled hockey and limited Dom's work. Cheers all around.