• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gcom007

Can Robert Lang Come Around?

Rate this topic

To be fair now...Cleary's regular season ups and downs were a direct result of whether the typically streaky Lang was hot or cold. When Lang was hot, Cleary was scoring. When Lang was cold, Cleary was not scoring. You can make arguments both ways, but the fact remains Cleary had a career year while Lang had his worst offensive season since 98-99, and accounting for the 'new' NHL, his worst since 95-96, and Lang still outscored Cleary.

I spell Lang with an 'L'. I spell Cleary with a 'C'.

Cleary is a good NHL hockey player. Good starts with 'G'.

To be fair now...Cleary's regular season ups and downs were a direct result of whether the typically streaky Lang was hot or cold. When Lang was hot, Cleary was scoring. When Lang was cold, Cleary was not scoring. You can make arguments both ways, but the fact remains Cleary had a career year while Lang had his worst offensive season since 98-99, and accounting for the 'new' NHL, his worst since 95-96, and Lang still outscored Cleary.

Yes, but the difference here lies in Lang's salary, and his defensive effort as well. That doesn't always show in the statistics. That being said, i am willing to agree with the Lang was better suited for the old NHL. I was very excited about getting Lang, and still tend to like him. But even as far as team leadership, and being active with the media etc. Lang has all but dissappeared. I feel like it is less a matter of skill, than it is a matter of what is going on for him personally. Perhaps Babs? I still have hope for him this playoffs, but my dedication to Lang is slowly fading... even though I don't want it to.

I hope he works out, cause the chicks LOVE him!

So funny but so true.

Yes, but the difference here lies in Lang's salary, and his defensive effort as well.

How does Lang's salary have any bearing on whether he outperformed Cleary offensively?

I can understand saying Cleary was better when compared to salary.

But Lang was the better player in the regular season...there is no getting around that.

How does Lang's salary have any bearing on whether he outperformed Cleary offensively?

But Lang was the better player in the regular season...there is no getting around that.

Sorry what I implied was that Cleary is better when compared to salary AND defensive effort. So I guess what I am saying is that Lang wasn't easily the better player. Perhaps you are right, and I think you have something in the point Lang was hot when Cleary lit it up. But I don't think it is as black and white as offensive statistics. But yes, they very much do support your case, and I don't have any stats to back mine up. So I'll give you this one.

Just a quick note of something I noticed.

In Game 2, the Wings had 24 turnovers and 12 takeaways.

Lang had 2 takeaways and one giveaway, while the four of Draper, Franzen, Cleary, and Maltby combined for one takeaway and five giveaways.

Thing is , Lang hasent had an once of hustle this whole season , Cleary cant help but hustle every shift

If Lang hits people like he did against SJ on Saturday afternoon, then I will stand atop Renaissance Plaza and shout GO LANG GO!!! GO LANG GO!!!

After all, It's good if a non-hitting player can f*** up someone! YEA LANG! f*** SOMEBODY UP!!!

Thing is , Lang hasent had an once of hustle this whole season , Cleary cant help but hustle every shift

Lang hustled pretty well when he scored in game 6.

And if Cleary is hustling like crazy, and Lang is lazy, and Lang still outscores Cleary...that only backs up my point.

Lang hustled pretty well when he scored in game 6.

And if Cleary is hustling like crazy, and Lang is lazy, and Lang still outscores Cleary...that only backs up my point.

But the thing your point misses is that outscoring someone doesn't define the better player... so many more things factor into it.

But the thing your point misses is that outscoring someone doesn't define the better player... so many more things factor into it.

My primary point was that Lang was the better OFFENSIVE player. Outscoring someone--especially someone whose best games came as a result of your own hot streak--is pretty much the only factor in that sort of discussion.

The killer part is Lang is a VERY great, dominant player when he decides to show up and play. I don't know what his deal is..but I DO think if the Wings go on farther that hopefully he can turn it around and do his thing. I have faith in Bobby.

Langs numbers in Washington the year we got him had nothing to do with Jagr. Jagr, as a matter of fact, was having one of his worst years ever that year. His numbers in Washington have nothing to do with Jagr at all.

Once this season is over, the Wings should just cut ties with Lang. Paycut or not, he really doesn't do a whole lot for the team, except score occasionally and be Hudlers landlord. Even if the Wings don't find a better second line center, theres always Filppula.

Langs numbers in Washington the year we got him had nothing to do with Jagr. Jagr, as a matter of fact, was having one of his worst years ever that year. His numbers in Washington have nothing to do with Jagr at all.

Once this season is over, the Wings should just cut ties with Lang. Paycut or not, he really doesn't do a whole lot for the team, except score occasionally and be Hudlers landlord. Even if the Wings don't find a better second line center, theres always Filppula.

The second and third lines next season should be made of Hudler, Filppula, Franzen, Bertuzzi, Calder, and Kopecky. Probably something like Franzen/Filppula/Bertuzzi and Calder/Hudler/Kopecky.

I don't care what numbers or stats or thrown out in terms of Robert Lang's past play or play this season.

The bottom line is, he hasn't done a whole lot to warrant more playing time, or Babcock would have played him more in game 2 in the waning/tense moments. Lang has had more than enough chances to step his game up recently, and has not done so all that often.

I don't care if Lang looking sluggish has always been like he has played in the past. He needs to produce and show all of us, from the fans to the players to the coaches, a little bit more.

If he does, he gets more playing time. If he doesn't, it's minimal shifts like it was in the 3rd period of last game.

I don't care what numbers or stats or thrown out in terms of Robert Lang's past play or play this season.

The bottom line is, he hasn't done a whole lot to warrant more playing time, or Babcock would have played him more in game 2 in the waning/tense moments. Lang has had more than enough chances to step his game up recently, and has not done so all that often.

I don't care if Lang looking sluggish has always been like he has played in the past. He needs to produce and show all of us, from the fans to the players to the coaches, a little bit more.

If he does, he gets more playing time. If he doesn't, it's minimal shifts like it was in the 3rd period of last game.

I am not making an argument for playing Lang more right now--he has been a disappointment in the postseason. I am making the point that a majority of LGWers seem to think that in the regular season there was the teams top 12 forwards, and then a huge gap, and then Lang.

I've been lurking on the boards for a while now before registering(Since the start of the last season), and I've always had mixed thoughts about Lang until these playoffs. I didn't buy into the Lang bashing that happened last year(though there wasn't nearly as much as there is now, and for good reason), but seeing his performance in the playoffs convinced me that it just isn't going to work for him here. Maybe it will somewhere else, or maybe this is the end of his career.

It's funny because I recall reading at the start of training camp this a year an interview with Babcock after the first day where he was asked who the best player on the ice was. His response? Lang. :hehe:

I think the skill is there, its just not coming to the surface in Detroit(kind of the same way I felt about WIlliams this year).

I've been lurking on the boards for a while now before registering(Since the start of the last season), and I've always had mixed thoughts about Lang until these playoffs. I didn't buy into the Lang bashing that happened last year(though there wasn't nearly as much as there is now, and for good reason), but seeing his performance in the playoffs convinced me that it just isn't going to work for him here. Maybe it will somewhere else, or maybe this is the end of his career.

It's funny because I recall reading at the start of training camp this a year an interview with Babcock after the first day where he was asked who the best player on the ice was. His response? Lang. :hehe:

I think the skill is there, its just not coming to the surface in Detroit(kind of the same way I felt about WIlliams this year).

If Lang is our best player,we are in BIG trouble.Since players do not get paid in the playoffs,payroll is not an issue,and we do not have to justify his playing time in relation to his salary.

Babcock should sit his ass in the pressbox when Homer comes back.Championship teams cannot have deadweight.

ive been thinking about that for a while now.

i love Langer a whole lot. i rejoice when he scores, but i think maybe after this year - it might be the end of the road for Bobby.

i want Lang more than anyone else to succeed and be just spectacular here.

it's not like hes been horrible these play-offs.

in truth, i think if be strung together like a good few games against the sharkies, the whole perspective on Lang would change with a lot of folks.

Langer has the size and skll to be a force down low, but he refuses confrontation. He either got plastered at some point of his career that makes him gun-shy or he just wants a check and doesn't give a rats ass anymore. He kills me, because he has some sick stick skills.

Edited by clutchngrab