• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DetroitIan

Shanahan

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitIan

I guess now that we aren't playing anymore, my mind has been wandering about this upcoming off-season. And I thought about the fact that Shanny only signed a one year deal with the rangers. And I remember reading something where they were saying that he plans to test free-agency. So I wonder if he has interest in coming back, or if the Red Wings organization is interested in him coming back. But as a fan, what do you think? I think 4.5 mill is a bit pricey. But then again, look at this year where he had yet another amazing season. Plus part of me always wanted Shanny to retire in the Winged Wheel. I say for the right price he could be a great addition. Especially if we re-sign Bert. What do you guys think?

Personally I don't think we need him. He is a great player, but I think we would be better off with out him. I wouldn't oppose to getting him back, but I much rather see us use the young talent that we have or sign someone cheaper.

Guest jaytan

He doesn't want to come back. He and Avery are both really enjoying themselves in New York.

I miss him, and he was a great part of our team, but he isn't getting any younger or cheaper either.

Guest DetroitIan

Personally I don't think we need him. He is a great player, but I think we would be better off with out him. I wouldn't oppose to getting him back, but I much rather see us use the young talent that we have or sign someone cheaper.

I agree that going younger would be the way to go. But if we can't get a young guy with some size I'll be disapointed. I know we did great against these teams that were "bigger" and "stronger". But any player with great skill plus size is welcome to put on the Winged Wheel in my opinion. Shanny is a 200+ pounder. And we all know his ability to put the puck in the net. Not to mention his leadership qualities. Now Im definitely not saying I want to spend 4.5 mill on a 38 year old player. But if we could get him for the right price Im all in favor of it. We probably won't be able to get him for the right price, but im just saying, if we did, then I would be happy with the move. And despite what others are saying about him not wanting to leave new york, that might be half true, but I also heard that he will definitely test free agency. So it doesn't sound like its etched in stone yet.

Guest DetroitIan

Stop! We all love Shanny but it's over. I think this playoffs proved the Wings are heading in the right direction. We're not bringing back Shanny or anyone else - move on. (coming from someone that had a hard time letting him go...)

Nah I have moved on. I was just presenting a hypothetical since the off-season is so close. Its not so crazy to say that if he took less money to be with the Wings that it would be a good move. I mean yeah he probably won't, but if it did happen, I would be in favor for it.

Shanny's gone on record stating that if he does come back for season #20, it'd be with the Rangers. You can't get more black and white than "there's nowhere else I'd rather play."

Would I like Shanny back. My heart says yes, as he was (and always will be) one of my favorite players. But he'd be taking up another roster spot that should go to someone like Rex, 'Petsky, Calder (if he stays), or Flapjack.

I'm glad that Shanny's found a place he's so happy in. He truly deserves it. He'll be a shoe in for the hall of fame, and he'll enter it as a Red Wing primarily.

There is definitely no reason to look back, but I feel signing Shanahan isn't too bad. I mean he's aging, but he's still playing. He did well this season with no signs of slowing down. I wouldn't sign Shanny for the soul reason of re-living the past, but the fact that one of our needs will be a acquired a solid second liner, and Shanny wouldn't be a bad fit. He still has 2 good years in him.

The short term memories people have here are astounding. The guy was a floater in his last few years here and was a terrible playoff presence who accomplished next to nothing. Let him thrive in NY.

Exactly. After the 2006 playoffs, everyone was calling for Shanahans head, and basically said they wouldn't care if he left. Now everyone wants him back? I don't get it.

Shanahan is prehistoric. There is no point on hanging on the past by bringing him back. His constant no-show in the playoffs was getting older then him. Besides, everyone forgets he left on his own. He didn't like Babcock, and is happy in New York. It's not even worth suggesting bringing him back.

He also said that with Stevie retiring he felt it was the start of a new era in Detroit and his time to go. Although that may have just been diplomacy, it sure makes it seem like he doesn't really want to come back.

He also said that with Stevie retiring he felt it was the start of a new era in Detroit and his time to go. Although that may have just been diplomacy, it sure makes it seem like he doesn't really want to come back.

With all our young talent, maybe he felt he needed to get out of the way.

Guest Crymson

I guess now that we aren't playing anymore, my mind has been wandering about this upcoming off-season. And I thought about the fact that Shanny only signed a one year deal with the rangers. And I remember reading something where they were saying that he plans to test free-agency. So I wonder if he has interest in coming back, or if the Red Wings organization is interested in him coming back. But as a fan, what do you think? I think 4.5 mill is a bit pricey. But then again, look at this year where he had yet another amazing season. Plus part of me always wanted Shanny to retire in the Winged Wheel. I say for the right price he could be a great addition. Especially if we re-sign Bert. What do you guys think?

This would be a giant step backwards.

We showed just how much our defense and offense improved without guys like Shanny. Why would we want to ruin that by bringing him back? Just as some journalist said, Shanny is slow. He doesn't fit anymore.

We've proven that our "new" style works. Why change back?

Like NorrisNick said a couple months ago, Sergei is a possible trade-deadline pickup for defense. However, we might be a bit too chock-full on the roster next year to bring another one in.

Edited by Crymson