• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
canadienhater

who should Detroit target the most in free agency?

Rate this topic

and by ******* you ment back to back stanley cup champions with kozzie scoring some absoutly clutch goals right? name another wing on this team not named Zetterburg who avg a point per game last year?

Ummm, that was 9 and 10 years ago.

As someone already mentioned, how many Wings play with Kovalchuk and Hossa?

I like Ozzie, but he has always been an average net minder in the league, he never was top 5.

Ozzie was a top five netminder the second half of the 90s. He should have won the Vezina in 96 and was an all-star a couple other times. There was a time when Ken Dryden was the only goaltender with a better career winning percentage than Chris Osgood. It's not like he's Glen Hanlon or something..the guy was top notch for years and is still starter caliber.

Ummm, that was 9 and 10 years ago.

As someone already mentioned, how many Wings play with Kovalchuk and Hossa?

Good point.

Kozlov wouldn't even be a top line player here. He'd be a 40 point scorer, tops. I'd rather have Hartnell.

Hartnell, Kozzie, Gomez, Smyth (maybe), and Backstrom (IF Hasek doesn't come back). Also, we need to re-sign MOST of our UFA's (with the exception of Lang and Calder)

Edited by ShanahanMan

Hasek

Chelios

Bertuzzi

Numminen

Hartnell

Sutton

Trade Samuleson to free up some cap space.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Homer

Hartnell - Filpulla - Bertuzzi

Franzen - Cleary - Grigorenko

Maltby - Draper - Kopecky

Hudler

Lidstrom - Numminen

Sutton - Kronwall

Chelios - Lilja

Lebda

Hasek

Osgood

Edited by rick zombo

I think most every one agrees on the major points here, which is a surprising shift from the last few years.

Let Lang and Calder go, sign most of our FA's and maybe get a guy on the cheap. If we can't resign all the rest of our FA's then use the extra money to upgrade the UFA we're bringing in.

And I agree with Zombo, trade Sammy if we can. Maybe we could make him part of a deal to get Toskala. Howard is definately not ready yet and Ozzie is a very solid backup, not a very solid #1.

I think most every one agrees on the major points here, which is a surprising shift from the last few years.

Let Lang and Calder go, sign most of our FA's and maybe get a guy on the cheap. If we can't resign all the rest of our FA's then use the extra money to upgrade the UFA we're bringing in.

And I agree with Zombo, trade Sammy if we can. Maybe we could make him part of a deal to get Toskala. Howard is definately not ready yet and Ozzie is a very solid backup, not a very solid #1.

Yeah, I have no personal problem with Sammy. I thought he played as well as he could this playoffs, it's just with Grigorenko potentially filling out a spot on the 3rd or 4th line and Kopecky having good upside as a grinder on the 4th line, there's going to be no room for someone. And we know that Maltby, Franzen, Cleary, Draper and Filpulla are all going to play.

The need to revamp the 2nd line is obvious, and Sammy playing on the 2nd line is not going to address this need.

Hence trade him to help with the cap and free up the roster space.

edit: if the cap increases to 52M though like the PA is pushing for, then it would be worth keeping Samuelson for depth. He's a quality player when used properly (i.e. not on the top 2 lines)

Edited by rick zombo

LOT'sof fans want to re-sign bertuzzi pros and cons

#1 BAD BACK --- a little shove and the biggest guy turns into a littleoldman

#2 MONEY ---- He made $5.3 last year...what ever he get'sas a players share for playoffs..wasn't deserved

#3 :Lang we need a tougher centre.....Hartnall is tough but injury prone...poor playoff stats

Despite last years injury...M. Handzus...will fill the role and wants a tough forward R. Torres

Edmonton's looking to upgrade their powerplay..trade Sammy there but ilike Sammy very versitile

Was disappointed in re-signing of Maltby,,,need new blood

p.s. what do people think Markov will be asking for / getting???

PS Lang went into the tank when Bertuzzi jioned his line

as far as hartnell goes... i just want elshupacabra to post anything after this post so i can get that fleeting glimpse of fischer absolutely OWNING hartnell back in 2003... classic!

for the right price, hartnell is an asset... it's just that hit makes me laugh every time i hear his name. :D

I would be a grog-filled swab if we picked up Jeremy Roenick and re-signed mate, Todd Bertuzzi. And that be not a bad thing!

LOT'sof fans want to re-sign bertuzzi pros and cons

#1 BAD BACK --- a little shove and the biggest guy turns into a littleoldman

#2 MONEY ---- He made $5.3 last year...what ever he get'sas a players share for playoffs..wasn't deserved

#3 :Lang we need a tougher centre.....Hartnall is tough but injury prone...poor playoff stats

Despite last years injury...M. Handzus...will fill the role and wants a tough forward R. Torres

Edmonton's looking to upgrade their powerplay..trade Sammy there but ilike Sammy very versitile

Was disappointed in re-signing of Maltby,,,need new blood

p.s. what do people think Markov will be asking for / getting???

PS Lang went into the tank when Bertuzzi jioned his line

There is no way Bertuzzi will get that kind of money from any team for a short term contract. Whether the guy earned $5.3 mil last year and didn't deserve that money is irrelevant. That's what he got. Unfortunately, he had back problems. Bertuzzi can't demand a lot, because (a) he didn't play a lot and thus, no wants to take a chance on signing him to a big contract and (b) he didn't produce a lot although that sort of goes hand in hand. He may not have fully nursed his injuries by the time October rolls around but it won't cost much to re-sign. Stereotypical thinking is that just because the guy got injured, he'll never return to his old form. I disagree and am looking forward to the old days of Bert leveling guys like Phaneuf as they charge at him.

I agree with your assessment of Maltby. I thought he was brutal in the playoffs and felt the only reason the Wings kept him is because he's been a legacy with the franchise. Markov may not ask for a lot but he should get a decent contract that is fitting with the contributions he's made to the team.

I agree with your assessment of Maltby. I thought he was brutal in the playoffs and felt the only reason the Wings kept him is because he's been a legacy with the franchise. Markov may not ask for a lot but he should get a decent contract that is fitting with the contributions he's made to the team.

I totally disagree with the assessment of Maltby's play. What about this...

The following are lists of the average number of goals scored and allowed per 60 minutes of playing time with individual Red Wings on the ice during the post-season.....

A few notes ...

-- How good were Dan Cleary and Kirk Maltby on the penalty-kill? With Cleary on the ice, the Red Wings outscored their playoff opponents, 3-1, while a man short. With Maltby, the Wings posted a 2-2 score while short-handed.

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

I would be a grog-filled swab if we picked up Jeremy Roenick and re-signed mate, Todd Bertuzzi. And that be not a bad thing!

That might just happen. Roenick has wanted play for the Wings for a while now, and as we all know, him and Chelios are good friends.

Problem is, he's not all that effective anymore, and we really don't have anywhere to put him. Maybe send Samulesson packing or something. I admit, I would actually like to see Roenick here, because he's always been of my favorite players. Whether he'd still be very effective, and be very happy playing on the fourth line, remains to be seen though. That's if the Wings even want him.

I'd clear as much cap room as I could and roll the Red Carpet (pun intended) out for Giguere. He's the only Duck I want anything to do with.

As great as it would be for us to acquire J.S. if Hasek leaves it won't happen. The Ducks are one game away from winning the Cup and chances are he will want to stay there, and the Ducks management will feel the same way. I'm not sure what the Ducks salary situation looks like but chances are they will cough up every dime they have to resign him.

Ozzie was a top five netminder the second half of the 90s. He should have won the Vezina in 96 and was an all-star a couple other times. There was a time when Ken Dryden was the only goaltender with a better career winning percentage than Chris Osgood. It's not like he's Glen Hanlon or something..the guy was top notch for years and is still starter caliber.

ozzie was also playing in front of some great wings teams look what happend when he went to the islanders or legace with st louis

why does everyone hate sammy so much he had a good playoff

As great as it would be for us to acquire J.S. if Hasek leaves it won't happen. The Ducks are one game away from winning the Cup and chances are he will want to stay there, and the Ducks management will feel the same way. I'm not sure what the Ducks salary situation looks like but chances are they will cough up every dime they have to resign him.

There has been a lot of talk about Giggy being too expensive for the Ducks to retain. He will get at least $6 per. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team like Phoenix or Florida making a strong pitch for him. He will be beyond Kenny's budget.

Remember folks, there is a salary cap. It is projected to be raised, at most, to $49. If it goes that high, that will leave Kenny with around $16 to spend. He WILL keep a small kitty in order to make trades and call-ups as necessary. From what I have heard, he would like to keep about $3-$5 there. That would leave about $12 to spend.

With the $12 to spend Kenny needs a starting goaltender, a top 4 Dman, a third pair Dman, and at least 2 top six wingers. Count on the goaltender getting at least $1.5 (even if it is Dom), Kenny wants Matty back and he will likely get about $3. On average, a top 6 winger gets at least $2, and the third pair Dman could be had for $1 or less.

Add this up, that's about $10 spent. This doesn't include re-signing of Rex, or any other RFA. Keep in mind that in the next few years Kenny needs to sign Nick, Hank, Flip, ect. The cap isn't garunteed to go up, it can go down.

The only way Detroit will get a teir 1 UFA is if he takes a cut to play here. Detroit simply doesn't have the cap space to make any huge moves.

Two guys I think would be great signings: DeVries and Kariya.

Guest bullocks

ozzie was also playing in front of some great wings teams look what happend when he went to the islanders or legace with st louis

why does everyone hate sammy so much he had a good playoff

sammy didn't have a good playoff. he had an average playoff. for a second line "scorer"...or lack there of.

sammy didn't have a good playoff. he had an average playoff. for a second line "scorer"...or lack there of.

So having as many points as Jagr and Thornton isnt a good playoff? :blink:

He had 11 points on the 4th line for most of the playoffs. He was good.

So having as many points as Jagr and Thornton isnt a good playoff? :blink:

He had 11 points on the 4th line for most of the playoffs. He was good.

You can't compare him to Jagr or Thornton, they both played 2 rounds. Sammy played 3.

Hell, using that logic, we should sign Sammy to a life-time contract. After all, he did outscore Lecavalier, Marleau, Cheechoo, Crosby, Malkin, and Shanny. Man, what the hell is Kenny thinking?!

You can't compare him to Jagr or Thornton, they both played 2 rounds. Sammy played 3.

Hell, using that logic, we should sign Sammy to a life-time contract. After all, he did outscore Lecavalier, Marleau, Cheechoo, Crosby, Malkin, and Shanny. Man, what the hell is Kenny thinking?!

Not my point at all.

Sammy was good , anyone who thinks he wasent obviosly didnt watch the San Jose series, He was probably our best player agaisnt SJ.

I think Giguere will bring a steep price. probably too steep to bring the michelin man to Detroit. And maybe even too steep to stay in Anaheim.

Pretty much their whole blueline is UFAs and Pronger and Niedermayer eat up $14 mill between the two of them. Assuming Jiggy gets somewhere north of $6 million, that's over $20 mill on three players. Plus up front Selanne, Thornton, and May are UFAs, with Penner, Moen, Shannon, and Parros as RFAs.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/ana.html

The Ducks have a lot of signings to take care of this off season. Whether they win the Cup of not, it'll be interesting if this team stays mostly together for another run or gets dismantled in the offseason.

I'm guessing the Wings are gonna target Bertuzzi, hopefully on a short term contract. They'll probably let Lang walk, and Todd's salary won't be what it was. On paper he fits a lot of what Detroit needs. The big question is if he'll be what they need on the ice.

coming off such a long injury and playing on a new team, it's not surprising, but this playoffs didn't reveal much about his potential with the Wings.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Not my point at all.

Sammy was good , anyone who thinks he wasent obviosly didnt watch the San Jose series, He was probably our best player agaisnt SJ.

So what was your point in the comparison? Sammy played well in the SJ series, but no way he was the best player. Did you forget about Clearly, Hank, or Nick? Sammy wasn't the best player for even one game in that series. He was decent. I think what you are mixing up is that he wasn't his usualy terrible self, and he wasn't hitting the 'tender in the chest at every possible opportunity.