• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Sleight

Serious Talks Of Expansion...And The Wings Moving East

Rate this topic

Guest jaytan

Portland or Seattle, gosh darn it! KC and Vegas don't seem like conventional sports markets. What other teams do they have (I wouldn't know)?! Are they doing this on purpose to have a bigger turn-out for hockey?

Well, I think Buttman's modus operandi is to go after the non-conventional markets, like un-tapped areas or cities with a high rate of population growth. He seems to think the NHL will just take over the whole town if it's the only thing in town (or at least the only major pro sports team).

Obviously, that doesn't apply very well to Vegas. People don't come to Vegas to watch hockey (at least I don't think they do, nobody will ever tell me what happened when they went there). Maybe some people (mostly Coyotes personnel) go down there to gamble about hockey, but that's not exactly a perk.

KC isn't a huge city, but it has supported MLB and NFL teams for decades, and they've gotten in on the trash sports leagues from the 90s like the AFL and MLS. They haven't had an NHL or NBA team for a while, however, so I guess the market's wide open between the end of football season and beginning of baseball season. Plus, some idiot built a brand-new arena there.

Kansas City is growing, but not at the rate Vegas is. Vegas will soon be one of the 20 largest cities in the US, and I don't think it's ever had a major sports franchise. But there's way too much else to do there besides watch sports, a large percentage of the population works shifts that make attending games inconvenient, and all the gambling in town would be very risky - especially if Gretzky's involved with the organization.

The watered down talent argument is losing steam, more and more kids have been and are playing hockey in the U.S. which is increasing the talent pool immensely. The NHL will expand, within 10 years I think.... and I, for one, look forward too it.....

For all those saying that the NHL isn't healthy, I beg to differ..... There are markets that are slow to pick up no doubt, and I'm not saying I would be against moving teams like Nashville, Florida, etc, and the like.... I'm saying there are markets in every sport that don't do so well (save, perhaps the infallible NFL [?])..... The NHL as a whole is on the verge of an explosion.... I mean, it's a league that most Americans are virtually unaware of, that still pulls in $2.4+ billion in revenue each year, and broke records for revenue and attendance each year since the lockout..... A solid economic system combined with young stars like Crosby, Oveckin, Fluery, Malkin, the Staals, etc. will only help the NHL continue to grow..... and so, I repeat... I look forward to the bright future of the NHL.....

I think the league's size if anything is too large as it is, I'll give you that some areas are a lil heavily populated with NHL teams (New York for example) but these are areas that support hockey. I think unless the league is willing to have more teams that don't get a lot of support, this is a bad idea. I myself am never in favor of quantity over quality.

As for the larger talent pool, I can see that, kinda. The RSL has quite a few North American players (not necessarily NHL caliber but) which is an indicator to me that there's plenty of players from this side of the world, and at the rate Euro players are coming over it's possible that the level of play wouldn't diminish too much, but I think the level of play is diminished enough as it is. There's plenty of NHL teams out there that have one real scoring line, and about 3 real-deal defensemen.

It would be great to move out east, it would but I don't see it happening. With the Preds under new ownership and this guy allegedly wanting to move them to Ontario in a few years, if anything someone will be coming back to the west- Toronto maybe, the'd be in Detroit's division easy, Columbus and Chicago aren't too much of a trip from Toronto either.

My problem is with Kansas City. The team they had in the 70's failed both on and off the ice. They played terrible and no one showed up to the games so they moved the team. Fast forward thirty years. The Royals play like crap, and no one shows up to their games either.

Also, KC had an IHL team called the Blades and they had problems with attendance, too. They managed to last until the IHL folded in '01 but towards the end there were rumors of them moving to Oaklahoma or other places.

Then the UHL Outlaws. One season.

The NFL doesn't try to go back, they had a team there that lasted two seasons in the 20's? Why does the NHL feel like going back to a place that has shown multiple times they don't give a s*** about hockey?

If Bettman wants to put a team somewhere, why not put one in Seattle or Oregon?

Expansion?! Haven't we learned anything from the disastrous '90s?

I'd have to support it if they considered Portland, but if they're just going to try to pitch hockey to more non-deserving locales where nobody even plays (let alone watches) the sport, well.... Screw that.

"Putting a team in Las Vegas would be disastrous for NHL"

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/223144

the fastest growing city in the united states thats right vegas

True but we are so darn far from the west its stupid

We should be an eastern conference team would nt it be great to play the leafs,canadiens,boston and the rangers

i would take the train to toronto

I wouldn't mind a 32 team league. If the NFL can do it, we can too.

the nfl is not in the crapper because of the little rat bastard bettman

Well, I think Buttman's modus operandi is to go after the non-conventional markets, like un-tapped areas or cities with a high rate of population growth. He seems to think the NHL will just take over the whole town if it's the only thing in town (or at least the only major pro sports team).

Obviously, that doesn't apply very well to Vegas. People don't come to Vegas to watch hockey (at least I don't think they do, nobody will ever tell me what happened when they went there). Maybe some people (mostly Coyotes personnel) go down there to gamble about hockey, but that's not exactly a perk.

KC isn't a huge city, but it has supported MLB and NFL teams for decades, and they've gotten in on the trash sports leagues from the 90s like the AFL and MLS. They haven't had an NHL or NBA team for a while, however, so I guess the market's wide open between the end of football season and beginning of baseball season. Plus, some idiot built a brand-new arena there.

Kansas City is growing, but not at the rate Vegas is. Vegas will soon be one of the 20 largest cities in the US, and I don't think it's ever had a major sports franchise. But there's way too much else to do there besides watch sports, a large percentage of the population works shifts that make attending games inconvenient, and all the gambling in town would be very risky - especially if Gretzky's involved with the organization.

i pretty much agree with you but lets be honest i can gamble on sports from home

Expansion is not going to happen.

In a perfect world:

Panthers would move from Florida to Kansas City.

Predators move to Winnipeg.

Thrashers move to Las Vegas.

Oooooh...the Wings are so moving Eastbound.

I will get struck by lightning twice and win the Powerball Lotto before this ever happens.

Expansion would require re-alignment with the Predators battling the Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets for a switch to the Eastern Conference.

By default we should move east, since the Preds and Jackets do poorly in battle against us.

I'm really torn on expansion. I think the league is a little too big as it is, and more teams won't necessarily mean better market share. But it's great that Bruckheimer wants to get involved--that could lead to more hockey-themed movies and TV shows, or even a more subtle approach (hockey in the background of shows or movies). For instance, there was a movie that came out a few months ago where the main character was a hockey player whose career was ended by injury, and he turned to robbing banks with his brother or buddies or something like that... can't think of the movie or the star's name. But Bruckheimer is really in a position to help boost at least the awareness of the game, if not the popularity. Also, having 4 equal divisions would be great, and would let the league return to divisional playoffs. (This could also be accomplished with 28 teams, or 24, or even 20.) I've always hated the Conference playoff format. If the timing and conditions are right, then I guess I wouldn't complain, but let's not expand just for the sake of expanding.

Guest jaytan

i pretty much agree with you but lets be honest i can gamble on sports from home

True, but with any pro sports team in the Gambling Capital's backyard, there's a hightened threat of corruption.

A BIG :thumbdown: from me on expansion. If the NHL really wants teams in KC and LV, they should move 2 organizations that aren't doing well in their current city. Florida and Phoenix come to mind, assuming Nashville moves to Southen Ontario.

I'd rather stay in the west. Its a better conference , and I like seeing the wings twice a year. If they move east i get to see them once every 4 years :thumbdown:

I like the West too, however, if Nashville moves to Southern Ontario, it would rule for me because I'm an hour away from Toronto, Buffalo, and Kitchener-Waterloo. I'm assuming Detroit would be in a division with those 3 teams and probably Montreal, so I'd be a 60 minute drive from 12 Wings road games. :thumbup:

Even though I don't like this talk of expansion, from a selfish standpoint, I would love to get a team back here in Hartford...There's been much talk recently about building a new arena for this alleged expansion team...Even though the Mall had it's moments, if Hartford is ever going to be taken seriously, they've got to get a state of the art arena built...The word is that the Hartford Wolfpack would move down to Danbury and the new NHL team goes into Hartford..As I said though, it's strictly selfish on my part...I don't really think Hartford can handle the NHL....Too many Bruins fans in the north half of the state, and too many Rangers/Islanders/Devils fans in the southern half....Some here in Ct. state, "but we loved the Whalers"..and they did, but I equate that with when someone says "ALL my friends think i'm funny" Problem is, he only has two friends....Just not enough support in my opinion..

It would be ridiculous to expand the league considering there are already a few franchises on the brink of moving.

Never underestimate the power of GREED...overpowers stupidity in the NHL

moving franchises doesn't get owners any free cash

Kansas City Scouts all time record: 27-110-22

This is through the 1974-1975 season and the 1975-1976 season. After that, the team moved to Denver and became the Colorado Rockies.

All in all, the last franchise in Kansas City was a major bust. It certainly is a possibility to move back there, with a new arena, and interest from the city. Who only knows.

I cannot see KC as a viable franchise..they have an areana but not enough fans

we need contraction not expansion

Guest DetroitIan

Personally, I don't wanna see us move to the east. Yeah its better for travel and such, but I just like the being in the west and playing western conference teams more. Plus if anything, the NHL needs to have talks to get rid of a few teams.

Here's some linkage for those of you conspiracy theorists that the Preds are moving to H/K/W...

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/cam/news/news_792440.html

For those of you that don't know, Cambridge, ON is about midway between Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo, and is connected by a common highway and a common train track.

I wouldn't mind seeing a team in Houston. But otherwise, I think the NHL needs to work on shoring up the popularity in the existing non-traditional markets before they go adding new ones.

Houston would be a great addition for a so called "non-traditional market". I mean, look at the Stars. You can't really call Dallas a huge hockey town, but they sell out mostly every game, and have good fan support. I think Houston would be a great city to have a town in. I hear the Toyota Center is also a pretty nice arena too, which makes it all the more easier.

And Also, Kemper Arena (Kansas City's arena since the 60's) is on a bad side of town, on a road that isn't built for it, in a place that's hard to reach. Definitely needed something new!

Houston is the 4th largest city in the US. why not hockey?

Portland OR and Seattle have no NHL. Why Not?

Milwaukee isn't far off from supporting an NHL franchise

If Quebec City would build a newer, bigger arena than the Colisee Pepsi...

If Winnipeg would add on to the MTS Centre...

If Halifax would build a bigger arena than the Metro Centre.

I've heard alot about this on NHL radio shows - the Sirius show ends next week for the summer! :(

Expansion is absolutely ludicrous. How about MOVING a few teams to the new cities, or CONTRACTING an equal number to the ones you expand? I firmly believe teams that are on the brink need to be given 2 years to get the ship upright, or sink.. Wah to the teams that lose their teams (mostly in the South). Remember when the Jets, Nordiques, North Stars all moved. Those Canadian cities and Minnesoty didn't like it all too much - but that was just too damn bad for their fans. So if economics once again dictates teams moving again - hopefully North - so be it!

I actually don't think Vegas would be bad. They don't have a major sports franchise though, so it would be risky. But you can bet I would plan all my Vegas trips around when the WIngs would be in town. :) Would this mean I couldn;t place my hockey bets though? :blink: I've heard if they get any kind of franchise, you couldn't bet on that team and maybe sport??

Seattle can't support a team. Key Arena is like some kind of Stone Age renderation of a sports venue. The NHL would never even think about having a team play out of there.

If it's a bad venue I'm sure they would build a new one or would get the potential buyer to get a new one.

I would love the Wings to move to the East. I can tell ya one thing. If they did..they'd be in the Finals almost every year. :hehe:

My boyfriend and I said the same thing earlier today. The sad part about that would be having quick and boring series leading up to the finals, and i don't think the wings would be quite as prepared for whats coming from the West. Despite the late night games, long travel, yada yada. I'd prefer the Wings to stay in the West.