• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

Holland: Free Agent Shopping is Probably Done

Rate this topic

Another thing... I do find it humorous how much people ***** about the job Holland is doing.

Kenny is far and away one of the best GMs in the league, and he rarely gets the credit he truly deserves.

However, if we're going to talk about humorous things, I'd argue that the Wings' offseason has become something of an annual comedy fest.

I intend to make and sell t-shirts with snappy Hollandisms printed on them in big red letters.

Edited by Dabura

I love this. Got any bright ideas on who we would put in goal that would lead this team to a Stanley Cup that's available?

...I love wasting money. Hasek said he was going to play in Detroit only or retire. Holland should have offered him $1MM or let him retire. I would be just as confident with Osgood/Howard...

...take a look at this team, out of 12 forwards, 3, THREE!!!! of them are North American. WTF!!!! This lineup is the absolute worst looking lineup I have EVER seen in this city! Lets see, we lose what VERY LITTLE grit we had and what do we do? Resign a useless, soft, piece of crap whatever the f*ck he is European...

...pardon me being mad, but crap! EVERY F*CKING YEAR we hear the same sh*t! "We have to get bigger and grittier!" We hear this from Holland himself!!! What does he do? Waste money and just signs a bunch of useless European players. I tired of it. I am really proud of this team, team f*cking Europe, just f*cking great! Why don't we change the jersey's and put the names of the players BELOW the numbers? Crap, we can't anymore European, may as well go for the whole 9! How long until Ken Holland gets a mention from Geoge W. C*cksucker Bush for giving the Red Wings North American jobs away!?!?

...I know, I know, not quite the same, but crap! I am so tired of this little, afraid to hit team. It'd be different if Holland didn't blow smoke up our butts (much like our Government) and do the complete oposite of what he said he was gonna do. What did he say last off-season? "I don't want to sign anyone long term because NEXT years crop of UFA's will be better to choose from. HE IS SAYING THE SAME CRAP NOW!!!! You know what Kenny? You lost out on Comrie. You could have given Comrie the same money, do you think he'd rather play here or the Island? Let me guess, Comrie is not our type of player, why? Because he wasn't born in Europe, doesn't talk with an accent, likes to hit, has a mean streak to him, what is it Kenny, why wern't you interested in Comrie? Oh!! Hakken Luben was available for twice as much money, and Jukken Laben, your European scout says he is great, although he's 37...

...pardon my rant, but holy jessie!!! Where's the Tylonol?

Edited by LeftWinger

2 years down the road with Zetterbergs contract should not hinder us form signing a guy like Gelinas or an Asham/Fedoruk/Winchester. The most they'd cost us is 2.5 million and thats for BOTH.

If "our plans" are for the future ,why'd we bring back Dom? This is the season we shouldve gone hard for the Cup.

I'm sure there's probably better guys available at the deadline. It's a good idea to have some room to bring someone in for the playoffs. By the deadline teams have a better idea what they need to win compared to July 6.

Howard needs one more year in the minors. That's the main reason Hasek is back. Plus there's Liv too. Why sign a guy for more than one year with Howard and Liv almost ready to go?

I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed how Kenny got rid of Jason Williams contract last year (he was signed up to the 2007-08 season), and replaced him with Calder at the deadline (signed until 2006-07), to help free up money for Datsyuk's big contract starting in 2007-08? He's doing the same thing with Zetterberg. Notice how Lidstrom is signed up to when Zetterberg becomes a UFA. If Nick sitcks around, it allows us to lower his salary.

Edit: Despite what some people think, Kenny and company know what they're doing.

Edited by Barrie

...I love wasting money. Hasek said he was going to play in Detroit only or retire. Holland should have offered him $1MM or let him retire. I would be just as confident with Osgood/Howard...

Seriously? 1M more is unreasonable? Especially with the amount of spending money we have?

Howard needs one more year in the minors. That's the main reason Hasek is back. Plus there's Liv too. Why sign a guy for more than one year with Howard and Liv almost ready to go?

There's no Liv anymore. He's UFA and has signed back to Sweden (HV-71).

The only thing in our favor right now is we are in the weakest division of hockey, otherwise I'd be scared. I'm dissapointed if we don't add another solid veteran player before the season starts. I know we have the deadline in Feb. but I won't hold my breath. I just hope kenny doesn't let us down.

The only thing in our favor right now is we are in the weakest division of hockey, otherwise I'd be scared. I'm dissapointed if we don't add another solid veteran player before the season starts. I know we have the deadline in Feb. but I won't hold my breath. I just hope kenny doesn't let us down.

...hope in one hand, sh*t in the other. He already let us down...

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

i don't think the Kings defense is anything to sneeze at. put Hasek on that team and I think as it stands right now, the Kings are a much better team than the Wings. their GM did his job, ours didn't. ours is just hoping he lucks out and a few of our unknown commodities has a bust out year.

i think this looks like a playoff calilber team. of course, they don't have hasek, i was just put him in their to illustrate what i'd have been like if he had accepted their generous offer.

if the Kings can acquire a decent goaltender - look out!

Frolov-Handzus-Kopitar

Nagy-Cammalleri-Brown

Calder-Armstrong-Willsie

Ivanans-O'Sullivan-Thornton

Blake-Stuart

Preissing-Modry

Johnson-Visnovsky

Hasek

Cloutier

:rolleyes:

We'll see.

As for everyone saying Holland is an absoloute moron, I for one have faith in Kenny. I think were gonna get some good players via trade as the season progresses.

...hope in one hand, sh*t in the other. He already let us down...

Yep that's right. The 07/08 season is over. The WIngs have missed the playoffs. :blink:

C'mon. Let them play, and at the end of the season if the Wings have done god awful then we can start pointing fingers at Holland. As it stands, his past performance more than justifies current actions.

I do think that signing Hasek with possible bonuses is a dumb ass move. We are going to make next years cap harder while our team this year hasn't enough talent on the top end of our foward core to win so what really is the point of bringing Hasek back anyways.

I do think that signing Hasek with possible bonuses is a dumb ass move. We are going to make next years cap harder while our team this year hasn't enough talent on the top end of our foward core to win so what really is the point of bringing Hasek back anyways.

who would we replace him with.....

The forward core this year is really not that much different production-wise as last year's, and the defense is better.

Great job by Holland!

People also forget that we had UFA's unsigned BEFORE the off-season. Holland was prudent and signed the likes of Dats and Holms beofre we even got to this point! Is it fair to say our biggest UFA signed was Dats....he is better then anyone signed for the ridiculous amounts in this past week!

Time to give the youth a shot, tweak/trade as needed as we go, prep for the trade deadline when the next crop of UFA will be on the block (ie. Dany Heatley) Shrewd and logical move!

This is what makes the Wings and the front office the elilite of the NHL!

...take a look at this team, out of 12 forwards, 3, THREE!!!! of them are North American. WTF!!!! This lineup is the absolute worst looking lineup I have EVER seen in this city! Lets see, we lose what VERY LITTLE grit we had and what do we do? Resign a useless, soft, piece of crap whatever the f*ck he is European...

...pardon me being mad, but crap! EVERY F*CKING YEAR we hear the same sh*t! "We have to get bigger and grittier!" We hear this from Holland himself!!! What does he do? Waste money and just signs a bunch of useless European players. I tired of it. I am really proud of this team, team f*cking Europe, just f*cking great! Why don't we change the jersey's and put the names of the players BELOW the numbers? Crap, we can't anymore European, may as well go for the whole 9! How long until Ken Holland gets a mention from Geoge W. C*cksucker Bush for giving the Red Wings North American jobs away!?!?

...I know, I know, not quite the same, but crap! I am so tired of this little, afraid to hit team. It'd be different if Holland didn't blow smoke up our butts (much like our Government) and do the complete oposite of what he said he was gonna do. What did he say last off-season? "I don't want to sign anyone long term because NEXT years crop of UFA's will be better to choose from. HE IS SAYING THE SAME CRAP NOW!!!! You know what Kenny? You lost out on Comrie. You could have given Comrie the same money, do you think he'd rather play here or the Island? Let me guess, Comrie is not our type of player, why? Because he wasn't born in Europe, doesn't talk with an accent, likes to hit, has a mean streak to him, what is it Kenny, why wern't you interested in Comrie? Oh!! Hakken Luben was available for twice as much money, and Jukken Laben, your European scout says he is great, although he's 37...

...pardon my rant, but holy jessie!!! Where's the Tylonol?

WTF is this post? You think we can't win with European players? Do you also think white guys can't win at basketball? Maybe you are some kind of reborn canadian Adolf Hitler.

Edited by Henkka

The Wings can win with Europeans, because they've done it before.

But for the love of God, there are way too many of them. We don't need the entire team based of European players (as of right now, only 3 of our 12 forwards are North Americans). Are guys like Mikeal Samulesson or Tomas Kopecky really needed on this team? Not at all.

It's not an anti-Euro thing, but I'd like to see it evened out. 6 North American forwards and 6 European forwards is fine with me. But not 3 North American forwards and 9 European forwards. Half of them are all identical clones as it is. Guys like Samulesson and Kopecky are useless, non-contributing factors to this team. There are other, better options out there.

If Holland wants to keep it European based, then I hope he would at least replace these guys with decent, grittier players like Ville Niemenen or Eveny Artyukin. But it doesn't look like that will happen.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Don't say that about Kopecky. He is one of the grittiest guys at next season, and if you mean that gritty style is the canadien style of play, he is definitely worth of his roster spot.

It doesn't mean where the guy is from, if he has the right kind of heart.

BTW, Nieminen is still available. He would sign for minimun salary.

Don't say that about Kopecky. He is one of the grittiest guys at next season, and if you mean that gritty style is the canadien style of play, he is definitely worth of his roster spot.

It doesn't mean where the guy is from, if he has the right kind of heart.

Honestly, I have yet to see it. He never impressed me at all this year, even before the injury.

BTW, Nieminen is still available. He would sign for minimun salary.

I wish Holland would act on this then. I know if it happened everyone would go off and call CHEAPSHOT!!!!1one1!!!1!!11!!!!!!1 or some crap like that, but I always like Nieminen. He's dropped the gloves before (not a good fighter, but was at least willing) and his agressive forechecking style would be a good fit. I'd be very happy with Holland if he signed Nieminen.

Edited by Kp-Wings

One thing to remember, too, regarding multi-year contracts: In addition to securing cap space for Zetterberg when his contract is up in two years, you may also be staring at the prospect of having to find a starting goaltender next summer if Hasek retires and it's determined Howard isn't ready.

He has to be,or else he just isn't NHL-material. Jeez,how many years the kid needs? Is he ready 2015? :crazy:

I'd be very happy with Holland if he signed Nieminen.

So would Reem. :lol:

Nieminen signed a contract with Swedish club Malmo on June 12th. Not sure if he has a NHL-clause in his contract,he seemed pretty determined to play in Sweden next season when I saw his interview. :unsure:

Nieminen signed a contract with Swedish club Malmo on June 12th. Not sure if he has a NHL-clause in his contract,he seemed pretty determined to play in Sweden next season when I saw his interview. :unsure:

I heard about that. Too bad.

Guest Crymson

You guys support Hudler like he's Wayne Gretzky or something.

Why should I even bother though? None of us matter. We don't have a say in how things go. Babcock does. My gut feeling is Hudler either will play or won't.

That's a pretty hilarious gut feeling. You didn't leave any options uncovered. It's 100% certain to be true.

That aside, you ought to wait and see what Hudler can do before you make judgments. How will it help you at all to write him off before he really gets his chance?

Guest Crymson

at this point, I'd be fine with Yashin. Just SOME kind of veteran status on the second line. We can't rely on prospects and kids who have the potential or MAY BE good. We need to KNOW.

So that's what your constant bitching this off season is about, eh? Assuaging your anxiety?

Well, then, it's an emergency! I'll call Holland right away.

Hudler weighs 178. Datsyuk weighs 185 with an extra two inches on him.

I hope D#1F finally realizes he should know his stuff before he starts commenting.

I don't get why people find it necessary to constantly and with conviction argue on things they don't know enough about.

Bertuzzi could've been had for less than $4 mil, IMO. He just wanted a longer term (2yrs?). They were already close to a deal with hasek, therefore I think they could've secured bertuzzi first and it still would have left them with $2+ M for anything else in FA.

Bottom line is you have to take risks in order to get rewarded.

Excellent argument; you've based it on information which has absolutely no confirmation in reality.

Way to be.

If "our plans" are for the future ,why'd we bring back Dom? This is the season we shouldve gone hard for the Cup.

Ummm....

Ok, I'll bite. What WOULD you suggest Holland should have done differently, ESPECIALLY as regards goaltending?

That means we have only 3 North American forwards on the team right now. I can see the Euro media jokes next year right now.

Oh, I'm so very glad that you're so concerned about protecting the team from criticism. Truly, Holland should sign more North American players in order that he may prevent the team from being made fun of in the media.

Edited by Crymson

Guest DetroitIan

I want atleast one more veteran addition as well. But I surely dont wanna just sign any veteran. I say no to Yashin. No to Bondra. But yeah I mean I DO want one more veteran on our squad. But I also dont wanna act hastily and get a guy that we dont need on our team. I totally understand being impatient(hell, im totally impatient). But we dont wanna make our team worse either. But yeah, I really think its a must to fill in Langer's spot. And NOT with ANOTHER young inexperienced player.

That doesn't mean anything. I know it was just a secure plan. I know Ville very well. He has until july 15th to sign NHL contract and I'm 99% sure he will sign somewhere.