• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

Holland: Free Agent Shopping is Probably Done

Rate this topic

who's left?

hmm. I wonder if Yashin might not be so bad here... if he would play for a reasonable amount, I mean. He certainly has the talent, but I've heard he's a locker room problem. Then again, we have had other players here who had that reputation and it turned out not to be true.

Anybody else think Yashin might be a contributor to the cause in Detroit?

:tomato:

so basically he is admitting he f***ed up. at the onset of fre agency he specifically said he wanted to resign all of our own guys, plus maybe add another top 6 forward. then it turned to, well, we might only be able to resign two of our free agents. then we end up losing everybody (except hasek). we replace schnieder with rafalski (not a huge upgrade). and now he says we're done??? howis this team better than last year's team. we lost beturzzi, lang, calder, schneider, markov. and we've replaced them with rafalski, grigorenko, and ??? *crickets chirping* who? ellis? hussey? *crickets chirping*.

if he thinks waiting till the trade deadline is a plan, he is nuts.

Lost everybody but Hasek? Rafalski for Schneider certainly isn't a loss. Lang and Calder? Come on, those aren't losses. Bertuzzi a loss? That's debateable.

Grigs with any effort at all is at least equal to Lang. Calder didn't even play in much of the playoffs so he's the odd man out - no loss there. So that just leaves Bert who admittedly had potential but really is a crap shoot. So we really are in my opinion, only down 1 guy. If we don't sign anybody else, Kopecky gets the ice time. Yes, I know, Kopecky << 2002 Bert but 2002 Bert left the building.

man... we do not look good for next season. but i wonder if holland is just gearing up for the future. Look at all of the upcoming players: Kronwall, filpulla, hudler, smith, howard, grigorenko, kindl... not too shabby, no? oh and i thought the main reason hasek was coming back is to win a stanley cup. Would anyone else here agree that our chances of that are a tad bit lower this year?

I think our chances are better. Why would they be lower? Because we let Calder and Lang go? Because we lost an inefective Bert who just had back surgery? Are you serioius.

I can't beleive peole on this board actually want yashin here. It's been the same old song and dance with him for years, he is lazy as lang and a cancer at that. Liek the old saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Yashin here would be a disaster :thumbdown:

I can't beleive peole on this board actually want yashin here. It's been the same old song and dance with him for years, he is lazy as lang and a cancer at that. Liek the old saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Yashin here would be a disaster :thumbdown:

:clap:

well, he's big and young (33) and certainly can perform if the stars align. Everybody wants someone big, so there you go. He's big.

I would worry that only someone as expert as Scotty Bowman could get Yashin to show up. Nothing against Babs, but one would wonder about that. Fedorov was (is?) the NHL's most talented underachiever, but he stepped it up when Scotty cracked the whip. Yashin has been playing for the Isles, for heaven's sake. Maybe he would be great as a Wing, who knows?

I don't know that I want him, personally. Just asked if anyone else thought he might fit. Also, the odds are that we wouldn't get/want any of the other alternatives.

One 'no' vote from rwf19, then. ;)

A 1 year deal with a team option for another year could be the way to go if Holland is looking @ Yashin...If Shanny wants another $4 million, or more me thinks his days as a Ranger just might be over; the Blueshirts are in more need of Dmen at this time. Would Shanny make a return back to the Motor City? Considering what's left he might be a solid pick-up at this point in time.

I'm guessing Holland is going to wait, & see what takes place throughout the RFA arbitration hearings; maybe a decent player will be cut loose, & Holland will be there to sign him...I still get a good chuckle with Danny Markov; nobody has signed him, & rumor has it his price is kinda high for most teams. Maybe another 1 year deal in Detroit for the same amount is in the works?

Shanny would work for me. Not sure how he'd fit in now, but he's a pro... he'd manage. All the stuff he said about his days in Detroit being in the past could turn out to be just that, words.

Markov. :) I bet he will be back, or at least I would like that.

Edit: one more thought -- who says Yashin wouldn't flourish as a Red Wing? He's been expected to be a team leader and The Man, and he's not that. Less about laziness than expectations he can't meet, maybe? What if he's not under the gun to be everything to his team, but is expected to be a role player and contribute? I would support getting him under the right circumstances.

Edited by puckloo39

Guest Crymson

He's in a similar situation as to what Cleary was in a few years ago; the talent is there, but the attitude isn't...Yashin desperately needs to sign a low-ball $$$ deal, work his a$$ off, & prove to the league that he still belongs here...Detroit could possibly be the place for him to turn things around - although he may have to play wing vs his usual spot @ center, but @ this point in time he doesn't have much of a choice.

His issues dwarf those which Cleary had in the past. Plus, Yashin is considerable older than Danny. He's had all the time in the world to turn himself around.

Yashin uses his size just as much as Lang does, which is to say none.

Edited by Crymson

well, he's big and young (33) and certainly can perform if the stars align. Everybody wants someone big, so there you go. He's big.

So's Lang Loo ;)

Im telling you right now , before the end of october if Yashin is signed , every wings fan in the world will hate him. He's not only lazy , but hes a terrible player. People say hes got talent , hes got size , but he doesnt use it.

The one thing EVERYONE is overlooking , Ted Nolan couldnt make him actually try, If Nolan cant get him too , no one can.

Thats a big :thumbdown: to Yashin. He taint this organzation. I'll take Forsberg , Shanny or Gelinas over Yashin anyday.

Also , this quote in the detroit news better not be from the wings organzation.

"The Wings don't want to pay him more than $4 million."

Umm , I wouldnt pay him anymore then 955,000$. Please Kenny , I've had my doubts before but not even you are stupid enough to sign Yashin. He'll ruin this organization forever.

Umm , I wouldnt pay him anymore then 955,000$. Please Kenny , I've had my doubts before but not even you are stupid enough to sign Yashin. He'll ruin this organization forever.

Yashin isn't my first preference, but ruin the Wings organzation forever? Don't you think you are being way too extreme and melodramatic here?

Yashin isn't my first preference, but ruin the Wings organzation forever? Don't you think you are being way too extreme and melodramatic here?

Which 2 teams were the biggest jokes in the NHL for the longest time? Answer NYI's and Ottawa Senators. Which star player was on there team for a long time? Yashin.

Obviosly Im overreacting a little bit , but I just dont want Yashin to ever come to Detroit, I'll take the team as it is over it with Yashin.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&am...39&tab=crst

Something else people should take a gander at, Yashin is horrid defensively. You dont score 79 points in your rookie season and be a -49.

Plus , he pulls the disappearing act in the playoffs. 7 shots against the "amazing" defence of Buffalo? Please.

Actually I felt Yashin played well in Ottawa; wasn't till he landed in NYI that things got bad.

The first season he wasent bad , but his defensive stats were s***.

Who, us? Melodramatic and extreme? Never. :hehe:

I don't know that Yashin would be the ruination of the Wings. He was good for Ottawa, I agree. I do agree that if he wants to resurrect his career and reputation, the formula F. Michael proposed ( "low-ball $$$ deal, work his a$$ off, & prove to the league that he still belongs here") is just the ticket. Whether he's lucky enough to try and do that with the Wings is something Kenny will have to determine.

As for coaching, Bowman might have had an effect on a player like Yashin. Nolan is no Bowman, for those who think that. I can't see Babcock making much of an impression on Yashin. It's really up to Yashin now, if he gets picked up by another team.

Or, he can go back to Russia, for all of me. I have no feeling toward him one way or the other. I would root for him to succeed since he would be one of "my" guys if he comes here. If he truly has no talent at hockey, then he's got a future in sales of some sort. He managed to sell any number of clubs on some aspect of his play which resulted in huge contracts, ill-advised or not. :unsure:

I would love to have the Shanny of old back (not just an old Shanny). He could provide leadership, I guess, although I think we have plenty of that, on and off the ice. If Shanny would put up goals the way he did for while there for the Rags, that would be even better. We could use a wing who can score on the power play.

I would prefer to see Selanne here, but he's not going anywhere. I bet he retires if he doesn't re-up with the Ducks.

I would love to have the Shanny of old back (not just an old Shanny). He could provide leadership, I guess, although I think we have plenty of that, on and off the ice. If Shanny would put up goals the way he did for while there for the Rags, that would be even better. We could use a wing who can score on the power play.

I would prefer to see Selanne here, but he's not going anywhere. I bet he retires if he doesn't re-up with the Ducks.

I'd take either on the Wings anyday!

I guess its just in me but I would take back any Red Wing if it were Fedorov or Shannahan, And yes even Mcarty. Having Shanny or Sergei back would feel like old times. and not to mention how well Fedorov would play with Pavel or Hendrik.

I read somewhere that Bert's signing in Anaheim pretty much sealed Selanne's fate. Apparently, Selanne hates Bert (shocker).

Honestly on paper Shanny is a lot of what the Wings need. He's old but big, will drop the gloves from time to time and throw his weight around (though not nearly as much as he used to), and is a great sniper.

I never thought I'd want to take a step backward and bring Shanny back to the Wings, but looking at the current lineup, they could use him. I wonder if Holland is even looking at him.

No matter though. I can't see him ever coming back.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&am...39&tab=crst

Something else people should take a gander at, Yashin is horrid defensively. You dont score 79 points in your rookie season and be a -49.

Plus , he pulls the disappearing act in the playoffs. 7 shots against the "amazing" defence of Buffalo? Please.

The first season he wasent bad , but his defensive stats were s***.

Do you have any idea just how bad the Senators were in '93-'94? Yashin wasn't the worst minus player on that team and the only guys that I could find that were better than -25 did so purely on the basis of playing half a season or less. He was a 19/20yo rookie on a 1yo expansion team that won only 14 games and he still managed to score 79 points. You know who the second leading scorer on that team was? Alexandre f'n Daigle with a whopping 51 points and a -45. Things just get uglier from there.

Honestly on paper Shanny is a lot of what the Wings need. He's old but big, will drop the gloves from time to time and throw his weight around (though not nearly as much as he used to), and is a great sniper.

I never thought I'd want to take a step backward and bring Shanny back to the Wings, but looking at the current lineup, they could use him. I wonder if Holland is even looking at him.

No matter though. I can't see him ever coming back.

He drops the gloves maybe if his sensibilities get slighted. Other than that he doesn't throw his weight around any more than Lang did. I think you're starting to grasp at straws here, Harold. ;) At least Yashin has youth (somewhat) on his side. If Alexei got into 2-3 meaningless fights a year, he'd be Brendan Shanahan.

Do you have any idea just how bad the Senators were in '93-'94? Yashin wasn't the worst minus player on that team and the only guys that I could find that were better than -25 did so purely on the basis of playing half a season or less. He was a 19/20yo rookie on a 1yo expansion team that won only 14 games and he still managed to score 79 points. You know who the second leading scorer on that team was? Alexandre f'n Daigle with a whopping 51 points and a -45. Things just get uglier from there.

He drops the gloves maybe if his sensibilities get slighted. Other than that he doesn't throw his weight around any more than Lang did. I think you're starting to grasp at straws here, Harold. ;) At least Yashin has youth (somewhat) on his side. If Alexei got into 2-3 meaningless fights a year, he'd be Brendan Shanahan.

I know they were terrible back then but still. In other years when the Sens werent terrible , or when the Isles werent terrible he still had -10 and -9 seasons. You dont honestly want Yashin on this team do you?

I know they were terrible back then but still. In other years when the Sens werent terrible , or when the Isles werent terrible he still had -10 and -9 seasons. You dont honestly want Yashin on this team do you?

You betcha.

Datsyuk was a -2 on a team that not only wasn't terrible it won the President's trophy. He led the team in scoring on that team too. Is he a blight upon hockeydom?