• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwingfan19

Lebda Vs Quincey

Rate this topic

I agree that Lilja and Quincey bring about the same thing to the table, but I think that Lilja played his way into a regular spot with his play last playoffs. It's his to play out of, which if he doesn't throw his body around like he did in the playoffs he may just do that.

The question of Lebda or Quincey is valid in that it basically asks "What do we need more of right now?" It's an speedy small guy with some offensive upside, or another bigger defensive defenseman that can try to contain the opposing team's forwards down low. If that's the question, then you almost have to answer with Quincey. While I like Lebda, we have a lot of offensive dmen on the roster and I think that the other three are better (If Kronwall can stay healthy and get a little PP time). Quincey brings a body that is sound defensively and battle for position better than Lebda.

A valid point indeed, however I must contest in some areas. I dont think that a decent showing in the playoffs merits Lilja a spot over Lebda by any means. We've all seen players perform well through stretches but not even have a career the next season. Im thrilled Lils played well in the playoffs....but lets see what he can do CONSISTENTLY before slating him as a rock. Since day one lilja was the whipping boy around here until recently. I suspect that he has the ability to change everyones perspective again just as quickly. Lebda has been consistent for some time now. He may not have put up all star numbers yet, but he's never really had a question mark floating above his head either.

So really the point of debate is, what do the wings need right now? And ya know, I dont think there is a right answer to that. A lot of things have to happen in order for the wings to be unsuccessful. This decision will not make or break that. However, IMO, it has been Detroits speed on the blue line, and its quick transitioning and outlet pass that has put our defense as tops in the league year after year. We've thrived with players like Coffey and Murphy, Lidstrom, Schneider, etc. and have been complimented well throughout the years with a couple Defensive Defenseman i.e. Vladdy, Chelios.

The wings have always been a puck moving defense (at least in the successful era). If we want to overload our defense with big men all over like Lilja and Quincy.....then ya, we'll still win hockey games. But we mine as well stick a flaming C on our chest and move to Calgary, because thats all we'll ever amount to.

Guest Crymson

A valid point indeed, however I must contest in some areas. I dont think that a decent showing in the playoffs merits Lilja a spot over Lebda by any means. We've all seen players perform well through stretches but not even have a career the next season. Im thrilled Lils played well in the playoffs....but lets see what he can do CONSISTENTLY before slating him as a rock. Since day one lilja was the whipping boy around here until recently. I suspect that he has the ability to change everyones perspective again just as quickly. Lebda has been consistent for some time now. He may not have put up all star numbers yet, but he's never really had a question mark floating above his head either.

So really the point of debate is, what do the wings need right now? And ya know, I dont think there is a right answer to that. A lot of things have to happen in order for the wings to be unsuccessful. This decision will not make or break that. However, IMO, it has been Detroits speed on the blue line, and its quick transitioning and outlet pass that has put our defense as tops in the league year after year. We've thrived with players like Coffey and Murphy, Lidstrom, Schneider, etc. and have been complimented well throughout the years with a couple Defensive Defenseman i.e. Vladdy, Chelios.

The wings have always been a puck moving defense (at least in the successful era). If we want to overload our defense with big men all over like Lilja and Quincy.....then ya, we'll still win hockey games. But we mine as well stick a flaming C on our chest and move to Calgary, because thats all we'll ever amount to.

Neither Vladdy nor Chelios are defensive defensemen. In his last two seasons, Vladdy put up 34 and 38 points, respectively. Chelios used to be one of the best offensive defensemen in the league. His numbers began to decline after 2002, but he still remained potent offensively for awhile. His numbers only truly declined to defensive-defenseman totals after the lockout.

I bet that Holland will not sign another D-man. If anything, he will sign somebody else to play up front. Lilja is a fine 6th defenseman, and Quincey will never get any playing time if he is #8.

Well, I never said that Lilja is a rock. I just think that his showing in the postseason gave him a top 6 spot for the start of the season. I said it was his spot to play out of, so if he reverts to his old self, then you can be sure that Quincey/Lebda will be in there in a heartbeat.

I think you bring up some really great points, but the last paragraph is a little off because no one said for us to overload our defense with guys like Lilja and Quincey. I don't think having two defensemen that have the potential to move people off of the puck is overloading a 6 man corps, is it? And your point about balance (pairing a puck moving dman with a defensive dman) would still hold true if both are in the lineup. I would still say Cheli can move the puck, he's just not going to put up a lot of points, but he can get it up to our forwards consistently. So that means we have 3 puck movers (Nick, Rafalski, and Nik) one defensive with a good pass (Cheli) and two defensive (Quincey, Lilja). I think that's pretty good balance.

Don't get me wrong, Lebda still has potential and I think he can be a good every day player in this league. The Wings just have a glut of similar players with a more well rounded skill set. Other teams would kill for the amount of defensemen we have that can move the puck, so we're in a good position either way.

Unless he really has a great training camp (and do emphasize the word "great"), Quincey is headed back down to GR. Since he can go to the minors without clearing waivers, that is where he'll go.

Derek Meech will be the 7th defenseman. As in that case, his 4 career NHL games don't warrant him a spot over anyone in the current lineup. Since the real situation here is Lebda vs. Meech, I'd much rather keep Lebda.

I lvoe your SIG

:D Offsides rocks doesnt she? haha. I love yours too haha I have seen it before and I love to just read through it haha.

I have read through the posts and I still think that Lebda is a better choice. He has great speed. And he is still growing and learning as a player. He will only continue to improve.

After reading over our current list of defensmen I'll answer your question with one of my own- what difference does it make, our defense is going to be pumped.

What I would give to verse the Rangers in the finals. All out offense vs an all out defense

Unless he really has a great training camp (and do emphasize the word "great"), Quincey is headed back down to GR. Since he can go to the minors without clearing waivers, that is where he'll go.

Derek Meech will be the 7th defenseman. As in that case, his 4 career NHL games don't warrant him a spot over anyone in the current lineup. Since the real situation here is Lebda vs. Meech, I'd much rather keep Lebda.

Heaton pointed it out in some thread , Meech is eligible to be sent down still. So I'd imagine Quincey will be the 7th defenceman and will get a handfull of games next season.

Heaton pointed it out in some thread , Meech is eligible to be sent down still. So I'd imagine Quincey will be the 7th defenceman and will get a handfull of games next season.

Show me.

If it's true, then that's good news. The Wings will then be able to sign another defenseman, and not give Lilja the #6 spot.

I'll go with the minority on this one. I'll take Quincey over Lebda. I liked his game better then Lebda's during the playoffs last year and I think his size is an asset. Lebda is a great skater and he is fast - but he just doesn't seem strong enough in our own end to be a powerful defenseman. Apparently he owns 'offensive potential' - but he hasn't really put up big defensman points at any point in his major/minor career. He has these nice offensive rushes from time to time, but they never seem to produce a whole lot...at least not yet.

My impression of Quincey from the playoffs is that he is a sound positional player who can jump up if he is needed. He didn't make any glaring errors in the playoffs which is REALLY impressive seeing as he had only played 7 regular season games in the NHL prior to the playoffs.

2 or 3 years down the road i think Quincey will pop up into our top 4 d-man rotation. Lebda is more experienced right now, but I think Quincey has more potential. I'd like to see him get 60+ games this year.

Guest DetroitIan

I say Quincy. I'm afraid that Lebda might turn out like Lindros. He's already had 2 concussions.

Well, he's got a ways to go, in order to catch up with 88. Lindros is a consussion machine. I think he's at like 9 or something. :o

Lebda.

Mainly because Quincey's only played a handful of games in the NHL. That's not to see he won't surpass Lebda. He just needs to develop.

I think Quincey will get his shot.

well said harold, same exact thing i was thinking

I really like Kyle Quincey, and think he will be a great defenseman in the future. I would assume everyone can say they were impressed by Quincey stepping in during the playoffs, with minimal experience, and providing a very solid effort.

That being said, Lebda is the better player right now, although I do think Quincey has more of a ceiling than Lebda does. If Lilja returns to his former non-playoff self, then Quincey may find himself playing more anyways. Quincey just needs some time to develop before we can ultimately judge what type of player he will be.

Quincey is bigger, plays a sound physical game and will stick up for his teammates. Lebda is small and gets pushed around, hmmmmmmmmmmm I'll take Quincey

I think they are both really good, but as far as who will be better for the Wings in the long run I'll go with Quincey. He's going to be the superstar out of the two.

Agreed, except maybe not quite a "superstar," but very solid.

I really like Kyle Quincey, and think he will be a great defenseman in the future. I would assume everyone can say they were impressed by Quincey stepping in during the playoffs, with minimal experience, and providing a very solid effort.

That being said, Lebda is the better player right now, although I do think Quincey has more of a ceiling than Lebda does. If Lilja returns to his former non-playoff self, then Quincey may find himself playing more anyways. Quincey just needs some time to develop before we can ultimately judge what type of player he will be.

Agreed.

Quincey is bigger, plays a sound physical game and will stick up for his teammates. Lebda is small and gets pushed around, hmmmmmmmmmmm I'll take Quincey

If you're implying that Quincey will fight people, please don't. I've never seen him drop the gloves.

I haven't read any responses so forgive me for repeating anything...

Lebda right now. I don't think he'll ever be your #1 or #2 d-man, but I think he's proven that he's fit for full-time NHL duty. On a team with less defensemen depth than Detroit, he might be on a consistent 2nd line d-pairing (in terms of minutes played).

We all know that Quincey has potential, and who knows, maybe in 3-5 seasons, Qunicey will be better than Lebda,for sakes of debating in this thread.

Right now though, Lebda, no doubt about it.

Quincey - but it's possible that both may be on the team long term. IMO Lebda will never be a top 4 guy because he just dosent have the size. He'll be a 5 or 6 guy where as Quincey looks to be a top 4 if he keeps developing. The guy is only 21 while Lebda is 25.