• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

Weird Feeling

Rate this topic

So I am looking at the signings and the roster.

Am I the only one who gets the feeling that Maltby's spot in the roster might be at risk.

He is one of the only guys they team can afford to trade, but I don't see him garning a lot in return.

It seems like a lot of the guys invited to training camp (Hartigan, Vernasty :D ) and some of the youth (Ellis, Grigs maybe) seem to have the playing style to take over for Maltby, who really didn't do too much aggravating last year.

Also with all of the youth looking to come up on D maybe a Maltby Lilja deal (lils has one year left right?) could be in the plans.

Not going off of any rumors or anything just brainstorming here, because I have this weird feeling about malts!

Am I the only one who gets the feeling that Maltby's spot in the roster might be at risk.

He is one of the only guys they team can afford to trade, but I don't see him garning a lot in return.

It seems like a lot of the guys invited to training camp (Hartigan, Vernasty :D ) and some of the youth (Ellis, Grigs maybe) seem to have the playing style to take over for Maltby, who really didn't do too much aggravating last year.

Also with all of the youth looking to come up on D maybe a Maltby Lilja deal (lils has one year left right?) could be in the plans.

Not going off of any rumors or anything just brainstorming here, because I have this weird feeling about malts!

...Maltby & Lilja for what? Gary Bettman's underwear?

...dude, Maltby will not lose his roster spot, he's done too much for this organization. Sure, he isn't as effective as he once was, bue neither is Draper & Chelios, but they will always be offered a roster spot as long as they want to play for less and less each year, until they retire. Besides, who would replace Maltby? Hudler? :puke: I'd rather have a 50 year old Maltby than Hudler :puke: sorry, I do that everytime I mention his name...

Disliking Hudler is your right, however I ask why ?

Hudler 76gp 15g 10a 25pts 16+/- 36PIM in 10:02 ATOI

Malts 82gp 6g 5a 11pts -9+/- 50PIM in 13:11 ATOI

Dats and Z as well as Franzen and Cleary have shown that they can play very well on the PK. Now I know stats aren't everyones thing, but looking at the stats above Hudler gives this team a lot of things that Maltby can't and if Franzen or Cleary can play the Maltby role what does he offer this team.

Not saying that I hate Malts just saying it looks like the team is moving in a direction away from him.

That was why I said I didn't think it would garner much but maybe a break in salary and a draft choice, remember the preds need some overpriced players to make the cap floor.

While I agree his game has been on the decline, paying one third of your shutdown line (which is arguably as good as any team's) under a million dollars per isn't such a bad deal with a cap of $50.3 million.

Also, Franzen, Cleary and Kopecky can't do what Maltby can. Those three are better all around players right now, but none of them have the chemistry with Draper that Maltby does. Malts might not be putting up offensive numbers, but he doesn't have to for his game........he just needs to take offensive numbers away from his opponents. Thats what Draper and him are great at together.

Yep...signing someone to a 3-year contract extension is a CLEAR indication that we are getting rid of them...

Maltby isn't going anywhere.

Yes, there are other guys on the team that play a similar style of game. Yes, his skills have diminished. No, he isn't going to score very much.

All of that being said, he signed a 3-year extension.

Plus having Stanley Cup Winners on the roster is a big plus in helping the younger players adapt a winning attitude.

Also, Franzen, Cleary and Kopecky can't do what Maltby can. Those three are better all around players right now, but none of them have the chemistry with Draper that Maltby does. Malts might not be putting up offensive numbers, but he doesn't have to for his game........he just needs to take offensive numbers away from his opponents. Thats what Draper and him are great at together.

Exactly.

I think Maltby does a great job at what he does. He's a huge reason why the top lines of the Flames, Sharks, and for the most part, Ducks had a tough time scoring against us. Him and Drapes do a great job shutting down top lines and taking away from their game. Losing Malts regardless of what anyone on here thinks of him would definitely be a loss. He does his job and that's all you can ask for. He's not there to score or make big plays. He's there to agitate opponents, penalty kill, and shut down lines, and that's exactly what he does.

Well oddly enough Draper was plus 7 and Malts was -9, the lowest +/- on the team by 7. The only player with more than 26 games played close to him was even and that was Kronwall.

I appreciate the role that Malts plays but how much agitating did he do last year? Did he really help shutdown the big lines from Calgary and San Jose, because to me it looked like Lids, Markov, Cheli, did most of that work. Remember Lids was Iginla's shadow for that series.

Either way I am not arguing for the release of Malts or acting like he is the new Robert Lang, I am just saying it looks like they are bringing in guys that do what he does. AND I HAVE A WEIRD FEELING that is all. Just checking if I was the only one and apparently I am.

Well oddly enough Draper was plus 7 and Malts was -9, the lowest +/- on the team by 7. The only player with more than 26 games played close to him was even and that was Kronwall.

I appreciate the role that Malts plays but how much agitating did he do last year? Did he really help shutdown the big lines from Calgary and San Jose, because to me it looked like Lids, Markov, Cheli, did most of that work. Remember Lids was Iginla's shadow for that series.

Either way I am not arguing for the release of Malts or acting like he is the new Robert Lang, I am just saying it looks like they are bringing in guys that do what he does. AND I HAVE A WEIRD FEELING that is all. Just checking if I was the only one and apparently I am.

I would not be upset if they did.

The thought process here certainly makes sense, but I don't think Maltby wants to play anywhere else right now. He's starting to creep up in age, turning 35 this season I think. I don't doubt that he still has the gas left in the tank to play 3 more years in his contract, and I'm all for it, but I think in his last year of this contract, his PT will be reduced by some of the young guys.

...dude, Maltby will not lose his roster spot, he's done too much for this organization. Sure, he isn't as effective as he once was, bue neither is Draper & Chelios, but they will always be offered a roster spot as long as they want to play for less and less each year, until they retire. Besides, who would replace Maltby? Hudler? :puke: I'd rather have a 50 year old Maltby than Hudler :puke: sorry, I do that everytime I mention his name...

What does Jiri Hudler have to do with anything on this main thread subject?

Malts overall play has been in decline over the past few seasons; however he's still a fine pen killer...That said I'm surprised Holland re-signed him since his "role"/ice time can be taken over by guys like Franzen, Cleary, & Kopecky.

..But theres more to hockey than that. Franzen may be a slight step up from Maltby, but Maltby is a branded Red WIng. He is one of the few faces of Red Wings hockey. Its for reasons like that that Draper will also be re-signed next year, even if there was a guy who could potentially do better in Drapes' role (which, naturall, there isnt)

In my opinion Maltby is not even that great of a penalty killer anymore. I remember so many times where he was playing out of position in the zone causing his point man to get an unblocked shot off to our net it was frustrating to see. He played ok in the playoffs, I suppose.

Guest jaytan

Any "Red Wings fan" who would kick either Maltby or Draper to the curb has no right to complain if, at some point in the future, Zetterberg or Datsyuk sign on with another organization. Loyalty works both ways. You have to take care of the guys who were true to you, even if they may not be as great as they once were.

Why would the Wings get rid of Maltby after giving him a 3-year extension?

Most of the guys the Wings signed are all AHL bound. These guys like Hartigan, Vernarsky, Mark Cullen, etc. etc., have no real chance of beating out Maltby. The only one who does is Matt Ellis, and even he won't do that. Maltby is here to stay, like it or not.

Maltby is still very helpful to this team, so I don't know why everyone hates him so much. Other then Dallas Drake, he's the only forward on the team who will hit and agitate people on a regular basis. He has become inconsistant since the lockout ended, but he still does his job just fine.

Besides that, the Wings organization is built off of loyalty. They're not going to bid Maltby farewell for someone like Hartigan or Vernarsky, who by the way, are unproven at the NHL level.

Maltby isn't going anywhere. Deal with it.

Any "Red Wings fan" who would kick either Maltby or Draper to the curb has no right to complain if, at some point in the future, Zetterberg or Datsyuk sign on with another organization. Loyalty works both ways. You have to take care of the guys who were true to you, even if they may not be as great as they once were.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'd vomit if they traded Maltby. He'll be a Red Wing until the day he dies. Don't kid yourself people- the Wings are as loyal to Maltby as he is to them.

And yeah- he fills a role on this team. The grind line wouldn't be the same without him. When he feels like there's no need for him to be there I don't think his first thought will be "I wonder if Columbus needs me?".

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'd vomit if they traded Maltby. He'll be a Red Wing until the day he dies. Don't kid yourself people- the Wings are as loyal to Maltby as he is to them.

And yeah- he fills a role on this team. The grind line wouldn't be the same without him. When he feels like there's no need for him to be there I don't think his first thought will be "I wonder if Columbus needs me?".

This organization is loyal to a fault.