• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

StevieY9802

Oilers Tender Offer to Penner

Rate this topic

Prongers got a wife? What's his name?

Not sure on the name but here is a photo.

IPB Image

Man that photo is friggin scary looking who would sleep with that. I almost shat my pants when my post generated.

Edited by Opie

I mainly like this move since either way the Ducks get slighly screwed. I would not be surprised if Burke lets Penner go and takes the draft picks and cap space.

I feel bad for Lowe too, this seems to be the only way players sign in Edmonton.

Good move for the Oilers whether the Ducks match or not.

If they do match.. welcome to cap hell burkie.

If they dont match.. The oilers can afford to give up some draft picks. They got O'marra and Nillson at the deadline last year, they had 3 first rounders this past draft, and they have the ducks first rounder this season.

Guest DetroitIan

This is a good thing either way. The Ducks are either losing very quality player in Penner. Or they will have to pay him over 4 mill per year. And with them being so close to the cap, that wouldnt be a smart move. The Ducks were already looking to be less talented with the potential loss of Neidermeyer and Selanne. And to lose Penner as well? They will definitely not be as talented as they were. Which puts a big ole smile on my face. :D

Edited by DetroitIan

oh man.....if the Ducks match the offer and sign Penner there is NO REASON we can't sign Selanne. Oh man, please make this happen.

That's IF Selanne wants to keep playing.

I have a feeling that since they signed Bert to way too much $$$ Selanne told Burke he's finished.

Ahahahahaha

This is great. I love to see things get shoved up Brian Burke's ass like this. He'll be crushed against the Cap wall if he does accept, and if he doesn't, loses a good young prospect.

Great move there Kevin, even though I'm assuming you just went crazy. Still, it pleases me to see things go downhill for Burke. Now, if Neidermayer and Selanne also retire, that team is done. Their only replacements would have been our two over-the-hill players of Schneider and Bertuzzi.

All in all a pretty entertaining day so far. :D

Burke has only a few options here:

-Sign Penner and hope neidermayer will play with at least a 2mil cut in his pay. 2 mil puts them just under the cap. But then next year he has no room at the cap and Neidermayer, or he has 4 mil to sign Perry and Getzlaf If Neidermayer retires. His contract is through to 09/10 (wow same as his brothers).

-Let Penner go. Then he is stuck with only 2.05 mil to sign Getzlaf and Perry. And he will need another forward.

-Let Penner go, and beg Selanne to come back for 2.05 mil and pray that he has no injuries and doesn't need to get a player of the wire or at the deadline.

-Say the f*** with this I quit!!

Either way to me it looks like that 2 year 4mil per year bad back he signed is going to cost him dearly. As someone else posted he is trying to play the game Holland played in 2002, just at the wrong time!!!

so if Burke signs Penner and Niedermayer decides not to retire could Wings sing Niedermayer? I mean, sure it was absolutely terrible to watch Flips skating around him like Niedermayer was an AHL player, but Scott can still pick up and play decent, doesn't he? :)

I'm starting to believe that Lowe's strategy this offseason is not to make his team better, but to make all the other teams worse. If, for every other team in the league, he offers a grossly inflated offer sheet to an RFA they can't afford to lose, none of the other teams will be able to maintain their UFAs who will be forced to drastically lower their prices (since none of the other teams can afford them either) at which time Edmonton will sign a team full of all-stars with cap room to spare.

so if Burke signs Penner and Niedermayer decides not to retire could Wings sing Niedermayer? I mean, sure it was absolutely terrible to watch Flips skating around him like Niedermayer was an AHL player, but Scott can still pick up and play decent, doesn't he? :)

They would have to either buy out Neidermayer or trade him to Detroit as I believe he has another 2 years on his contract.

But even if Anaheim bought him out, 50% of his current salary would count against their cap for twice as long.

Guest DetroitIan

:withstupid:

The Wings will sign Neidermeyer the same day hell freezes over. That whole post makes about zero sense. I dont even know where to begin....Wow.... :blink:

I'm starting to believe that Lowe's strategy this offseason is not to make his team better, but to make all the other teams worse. If, for every other team in the league, he offers a grossly inflated offer sheet to an RFA they can't afford to lose, none of the other teams will be able to maintain their UFAs who will be forced to drastically lower their prices (since none of the other teams can afford them either) at which time Edmonton will sign a team full of all-stars with cap room to spare.

If that's his logic, then he would have been smart to do these offer sheets way back at the start of free agency. Now, he really doesn't have anyone to go out and get. The market is very dry.

Well, they'll make up roughly 600-700K of that when they deal Bryzgalov inevitably and replace him with a minimum backup. One thing I thought of, and i dont know how Scott would feel about this, but it would make alot of sense to throw Rob in as a tag along to any Bryzgalov deal...I believe he makes 2 mill? That plus the 600k, in addition to the their current cap room, puts them right around the limit while matching the Penner offer sheet. And thats of course if Scott Niedermayer returns, which he probably wont anyway. I guess my scenario would put Scott in the position of coming back but without his brother, or retiring. Maybe since he fullfilled the Cup dream with him, he'd be ok if Rob had to be dealt. I cant really think of anybody else who makes decent money that they could trade...he seems to be the clear candidate.

By the way, with my trade thing they would be getting just picks in return, not players.

Guest jaytan

Such a great long-term strategy. :thumbup: The Oilers dynasty of the 2010's will put Gretzky and Messier to shame.

If that's his logic, then he would have been smart to do these offer sheets way back at the start of free agency. Now, he really doesn't have anyone to go out and get. The market is very dry.

According to this logic, he isn't intending to actually sign any of the players he's giving offer sheets to, but trying to force other teams to spend more of their cap space. This way, in a couple of years, a lot of teams will have to let go of very valuable UFAs because they spent so much to keep RFAs this year.

You guys are all getting too excited about this. Even if the Ducks lose Niedermayer, Selanne, and Penner, they'll still have the best lineup in the West, not to mention the addition of Schneder and maybe a healthy Bertuzzi. Yes this might hurt them for the future, but I've honestly yet to begin thinking about the upcoming season let alone what happens within the next few years.

Burke has only a few options here:

-Sign Penner and hope neidermayer will play with at least a 2mil cut in his pay. 2 mil puts them just under the cap. But then next year he has no room at the cap and Neidermayer, or he has 4 mil to sign Perry and Getzlaf If Neidermayer retires. His contract is through to 09/10 (wow same as his brothers).

-Let Penner go. Then he is stuck with only 2.05 mil to sign Getzlaf and Perry. And he will need another forward.

-Let Penner go, and beg Selanne to come back for 2.05 mil and pray that he has no injuries and doesn't need to get a player of the wire or at the deadline.

-Say the f*** with this I quit!!

Either way to me it looks like that 2 year 4mil per year bad back he signed is going to cost him dearly. As someone else posted he is trying to play the game Holland played in 2002, just at the wrong time!!!

That can't happen. Scott still has two years left on his contract at 6.75 mill and he can't just turn down money to help his team under the cap. It still counts against it.

Few teams have RFAs they cant afford to lose to an overpaying buyer.

Edited by YoungGuns1340