• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

StevieY9802

Oilers Tender Offer to Penner

Rate this topic

Burke is getting whats coming to him for paying $4 mill for Bertuzzi and 5.6 for Schneider before he locked up his RFAs.

As he should. Its fair game to sign guys to an offer sheet, and this shouldnt be looked down upon. This is nobodys fault but Burkes, and Regiers as well.

As I said in the other Penner thread, if the Ducks match this offer they will be in deep s*** next year when they have to resign Kunitz, Perry, Getzlaf and Rome. :lol:

This is why I love the fact that the Oilers made this offer. The Ducks have to match (don't they?) and that will screw them next year. Squirm Burke, squirm.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

oh man.....if the Ducks match the offer and sign Penner there is NO REASON we can't sign Selanne. Oh man, please make this happen.

Except the whole i wanna stay with the ducks or retire part.

F*ck the ducks, this is good news, I'm glad someone is going after thier players.....Go oilers Go........

that's my 2 cents :clap:

Beat me to it. I say, who cares, as long as the Ducks lose as much talent as possible. I don't know how or why, but I've developed a bit of a soft spot for the Oil over the summer. I'd like to see them get competitive again after dropping off the Earth late last season.

Why are you all so convinced that Teemu would be willing to come here? I was under the impression that he was unsure of whether he should return to Anaheim or retire. I don't see what he has to gain at this point by going to another team if Anaheim can't resign him. If we do sign him, though, he'd be that top line player and right handed shot on the powerplay that we currently lack.

Why are you all so convinced that Teemu would be willing to come here? I was under the impression that he was unsure of whether he should return to Anaheim or retire. I don't see what he has to gain at this point by going to another team if Anaheim can't resign him. If we do sign him, though, he'd be that top line player and right handed shot on the powerplay that we currently lack.

Nobody said anything about Selanne being interested, but the fact that Detroit is interested is half the battle. Tons of players over their careers have said its X team or bust, but have gone off to sign with another team.

The big thing that sets Detroit apart from the rest at this point is that Detroit doesnt have to move people around in order to sign Selanne - they have the cap space needed if Selanne is interested.

Its also very possible that the reason Selanne is taking so long to make a decision is not so much because hes deciding whether to retire or not, but deciding whether to retire, or play for another team. The fact that Burke signed Bertuzzi - a move that Selanne cant possibly like having been a member of the Avs during the Bert incident - may have changed Selanne's options.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Nobody said anything about Selanne being interested, but the fact that Detroit is interested is half the battle. Tons of players over their careers have said its X team or bust, but have gone off to sign with another team.

The big thing that sets Detroit apart from the rest at this point is that Detroit doesnt have to move people around in order to sign Selanne - they have the cap space needed if Selanne is interested.

Its also very possible that the reason Selanne is taking so long to make a decision is not so much because hes deciding whether to retire or not, but deciding whether to retire, or play for another team. The fact that Burke signed Bertuzzi - a move that Selanne cant possibly like having been a member of the Avs during the Bert incident - may have changed Selanne's options.

You know i never thought of it like that.

Its also very possible that the reason Selanne is taking so long to make a decision is not so much because hes deciding whether to retire or not, but deciding whether to retire, or play for another team. [The fact that Burke signed Bertuzzi - a move that Selanne cant possibly like having been a member of the Avs during the Bert incident - may have changed Selanne's options.

Excellent point. I never even thought of that.

I don't really think Selanne will come here to Detroit, but I really don't think he'll go back to Anaheim. It's a real slap in the face by Burke to go out and sign Bertuzzi like that without giving Selanne any real time to think about his decision. Plus, like you said: the whole thing with Bertuzzi and Moore comes into place, since Selanne was on the Av's when it happened.

Selanne will have to take a paycut to stay in Anaheim now. He is getting older now, and considering he came off of a great season (48 goals and 94 points), he isn't going to want to be shortchanged.

The fact that Burke signed Bertuzzi - a move that Selanne cant possibly like having been a member of the Avs during the Bert incident - may have changed Selanne's options.

I've been trying to dig up the exact article to no avail, but I remember Teemu decrying Bertuzzi's actions publicly. Stated that he should be removed from the game and that he didn't feel safe playing in a league, such as the NHL if no major actions had been taken to punish Bert. Though an irregularity Selanne was line mates with Moore a bit that year.

Anyways, this whole Penner/Oilers thing might be the best news I've heard so far this off season outside of us signing Rafalski.

Obviously what Lowe is doing is well within the rules but the problem i have with it is the fact that he is driving the market prices way up which in the long run will effect every team in this league. Penner is a great young player but he is not worth 4-4.5 milliion a year. What this is going to do now is make players who are in the same skill set as Penner want his kind of money when they are FA's which in turn screws everything up. I think it's funny how pre lock out the Oilers were the biggest whiners about how they couldn't compete in a free market and now that there is a cap in place they are the ones who are blowing it out of control!! As for Burke... he is one of the smartest minds with the biggest balls in this league and like him or not he will figure it out and as much as it pains me to say it the Ducks will be right up there next year again!! Was 4 million too high for Bert? Hell yeah.. I think a bag of pucks was too much for him but if anyone is going to be able to get the most out of him it will be Burke and the Ducks if he stays healthy. As for people saying they feel sorry for Lowe because he can't get players to come there... I think this is a load of crap..there has to be a deeper lying problem ( ie. Mactavish, Lowe, owners) than the fact that guys just don't want to play there..it is a great hockey city with great fans they sell out every game and love their team and who may have a new owner in place to make things even better. Rumors spread from player to player like herpes in a Mexican ***** house in the NHL and I think the word is out that somewhere in upper management is the reason no one wants to play there!! It really can be the only logical reason!!

Edited by puckbags

Obviously what Lowe is doing is well within the rules but the problem i have with it is the fact that he is driving the market prices way up which in the long run will effect every team in this league. Penner is a great young player but he is not worth 4-4.5 milliion a year.

I agree with you in principle but have to disagree in reality. The reality in question is the dumbass new state of salary affairs in our new "even playing field" CBA. Philly and the Rangers ruined the fun by paying UFA's twice what they were worth (at least- some got three times their value).

Under the current state of affairs Penner's worth, what, like 10 million as a UFA? So 4.5 seems fair as a RFA, as retarded as that sounds to our sensibilities.

Guest jaytan

...Rumors spread from player to player like herpes in a Mexican ***** house in the NHL....

Oh crap, that's where I picked that up. :unsure:

I know it has been said that Lowe is being a dick, etc. But the way I see it. It is becoming far more coming for players to accept offers and move into non-traditional hockey markets for the right price. And the Oil went from game 7 Stanley Cup finalists to bottom feeders. They lost a TON of talent to trades and UFA's. He is just doing what he has to to attempt to salvage a team there. I dont think the Ducks get keep up with this. They are already so close to cap, and this pretty much will eliminate any shot of S. Neids or Selanne returning.

Say what you want about Lowe, but he is being aggressive and trying to keep a some what competative team in Edmonton. A lot more than can be said for a lot of other GM's in the league.

True.....but it's going to get very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not really...

it all depends on Selanne and Neidermayer...

if neither play they'll (ducks) sign him for sure

not really...

it all depends on Selanne and Neidermayer...

if neither play they'll (ducks) sign him for sure

Still it's going to be quite interesting for the next little while. Also I'm sure signing Penner to this bloated contract isn't what Burke was hoping for.

Not to mention they have to re-sign Getzlaf next summer and this may hurt their wiggle room.

Take the picks, while Penner has good potential, he's had one good season and he was still extremely inconsistent.

Agreed Burke would be stupid to turn down the draft picks AND pay Penner $4.3 M a year. He has great potential but at this point in his career, we isn't worth that kind of money. Plus that would give the Ducks Salary Cap problems. I say, let him go.

It is ironic that he essentially traded Schneider and Bert for Penner. I love it. Burke screwed himself.

so if Burke signs Penner and Niedermayer decides not to retire could Wings sing Niedermayer? I mean, sure it was absolutely terrible to watch Flips skating around him like Niedermayer was an AHL player, but Scott can still pick up and play decent, doesn't he? :)

No thanks. We don't need him and he is going to retire anyway

You guys are all getting too excited about this. Even if the Ducks lose Niedermayer, Selanne, and Penner, they'll still have the best lineup in the West, not to mention the addition of Schneder and maybe a healthy Bertuzzi. Yes this might hurt them for the future, but I've honestly yet to begin thinking about the upcoming season let alone what happens within the next few years.

The best line-up in the west without Neidemayer, Selanne or Penner? You're kidding right? No way that Schneider and bad back Bert can replace those 3 guys, two of which are easily in the HOF.

Guest nutz2u

If they match then what do they offer Getzlaf, Perry and Kunitz next season? :huh:

What Lowe is doing may be driving the price up for Penner and Vanek this year, but the effect this will have on the next couple of offseasons is a Positive.

Teams will have to think twice before they can offer crazy salaries to guys like Hartnell, Bertuzzi (injury reasons), etc.

If you have a gifted young player or two on your roster that is an RFA you no longer can wait it out and short change that player or hope an arbitrator will give said player a bad number. Now the teams will have to secure their players within their org before going out and spending on a UFA, and if that RFA wants to wait it out that team will have to offer less to UFA's.

This will be a good thing trust me. It works in Football, although Football uses the Franchise Player tag so that a team can protect one player.

That can't happen. Scott still has two years left on his contract at 6.75 mill and he can't just turn down money to help his team under the cap. It still counts against it.

They still can trade him away to get rid of his contract, if Scotty wants to continue his career.

Let's trade Nieds for Lillja!

Lidström - Niedermayer

Kronwall - Rafalski

Lebda - Chelios