• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Flip-check

Mapping the NHL

Rate this topic

The other day I ran across a map some hockey blogger cooked up, it was pretty interesting to see. The map basically outlines the league and the divisional geography that we've got going on currently.

And since I hardly ever think of their positions in a photo, it's a nice touch. It also gives you the visual for how much travel the Western conference pulls:

IPB Image

-from On the Forecheck

Aside from that he put up a different look at what the league could look like with another two-team wave of expansion. (arguments against expansion aside, we all know the league isn't ready yet, but it's gonna happen)

I think Columbus is probably the most likely bet to actually go east, it doesn't look bad at al, or the idea of Nashville having some southeast "natural" rivals in their division like Atlanta, Carolina, and so on. All in all I dug the idea.

But if you ask me, this is what the new Eastern conference Wings' division should look like. Added is Portland in the place of KC for the west. About as useful as debating whether we'll pick up Selanne or Forsberg or trade the ghost of Jason Williams to Pittsburgh for Crosby, but take a look.

IPB Image

Edited by Flip-check

If the Wings end up in that division if moving to the Eastern Conference, we're going to have the most exciting season out of any team.

Renewed rivalry with Toronto, as well as 8 wonderful opportunities to show Crosby that he'll never stand a chance against a real playoff team.

Love the post, hope the wings can move East too. Looking at the map actually angers me when I think about how much more difficult it is to play hockey in the Western Conference when so much travelling is involved. When you think about the hours of travel and time zone change it makes a big difference. Also who covers the travel expenses?????

Example: Wings have their own airplane because they need one, but it costs a lot of money to operate obviously.

Other teams in the east dont need to travel much by plane and therefore avoid a lot of expense.

So who covers the cost, and is it equal?

Guest jaytan

Interesting to see it mapped out that way. The Central has by far got the least to complain about as far as divisional travel in the West. The total area's actually smaller than one Eastern Conference division.

Renewed rivalry with Toronto, as well as 8 wonderful opportunities to show Crosby that he'll never stand a chance against a real playoff team.

Exactly. Toronto, Pittsburgh (let's not discount the rest of the squad!), and Crosby.

Consider me at the Joe. It'll never happen though, the Wings are too much of a ticket-seller for the West.

No, actually I read somewhere that Dallas has the most travel. Everyone of the other teams in their division is 2 time zones away,

If you want to get technical, Dallas actually physically travels the most in the Western Conference - which includes going to the other divisions 2 times a piece, but DETROIT is actually the team that travels the most in terms of time zones.

IPB Image

I would absolutely cream my pants if that became our division. Playing against Crosby and Ovechkin 8 times a year each, plus having the oppurtunity to see them play in person 4 times a year each :clap::clap:

(Bettman will never let my dream come tru though because we are too important to the survival of lousy NSH, PHX, CHI)

Edited by WhiteLightning91

I would absolutely cream my pants if that became our division. Playing against Crosby and Ovechkin 8 times a year each, plus having the oppurtunity to see them play in person 4 times a year each :clap::clap:

I forgot about Ovechkin. :lol:

It'd be such a dream come true, although who could part with Nashville, St. Louis, and the "STILL GOING" rivalry with the Avs? :rolleyes:

uhg. I'd be devastated if the Wings moved to the East. Aside from Pittsburgh, Eastern Conference hockey is boring.

I love watching the Wings play in the more open Western Conference. Its just better hockey out West. I dont question the Wings regular season success in the Eastern Conference, but I think the West has been consistently stronger for the last decade or so, and the games are always more exciting. Devils, Flyers, Leafs + the Florida brand of hockey is BORING. I know the day will probably come when the Wings move to the east, but I hope they can hold it off for the next decade or so.

Eastern time zone please, I wake up normally around 4:00 - 4:30am, I fought so much damn sleep during those West Coast playoff games. I fell asleep for both of the Wings OT winners in the playoffs! :lol:

Actually, if the Wings were in the EC, I wouldn't have been able to seen them as much, or maybe not at all, when I was living in the Dallas-Fort Worth area from 99-04 while in college.

That is pretty cool to see how much distance WC teams usually have to travel.

And, I don't really try to have a strong opinion over a lot of things involved with hockey or the NHL, but for the love of god 8 games against any team is too many, I don't care who it is or how much of a rivalry a matchup might be.

Guest Crymson

Exactly. Toronto, Pittsburgh (let's not discount the rest of the squad!), and Crosby.

Consider me at the Joe. It'll never happen though, the Wings are too much of a ticket-seller for the West.

It's more likely that it won't happen because Bettman is too much of a wuss to make changes if any of the owners complain.

Love the post, hope the wings can move East too. Looking at the map actually angers me when I think about how much more difficult it is to play hockey in the Western Conference when so much travelling is involved. When you think about the hours of travel and time zone change it makes a big difference. Also who covers the travel expenses?????

Example: Wings have their own airplane because they need one, but it costs a lot of money to operate obviously.

Other teams in the east dont need to travel much by plane and therefore avoid a lot of expense.

I do wonder about that too. I lived in Australia for 2 years, and 2 teams in the AFL (I believe it was 2, could have been 3) were allowed to spend a little more on the salary cap to attrack players to further locations. If a team like Detroit in the west, or the Oil, Calgary, whoever, has to travel 'x' amount of km/miles a year more than other teams, they should be in some way compinsated for it.

I was wondering where the fourth team was in the LAX,PHX,LV division. There is a team missing . . . the Ducks. I thought that it was odd a division with just three teams!

Edited by tipetz22

Actually, that map is a phenomenal visual. I'm surprised I haven't seen something like this before.

The ducks are there, but you can hardly see them because the word "Ducks" is obscured by the line.

And if you look close, you can see the path the line makes between LA and Dallas isn't dead straight, which allows you to see the Ducks logo.

Also who covers the travel expenses?????

Each team pays for the travel expenses, to include airfare, hotel, and $94 a day for food for everyone traveling "officially" with the team.