• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manoir

Yzerman as Leafs GM if Bowman becomes president

Rate this topic

There is a tv/radio show here in Canada called Primetime sports. There was a columnist on who says he has heard from someone close to Bowman that the there has indeed been discussion between the Leafs and Bowman. He says this same person told him that if Bowman were to become president, Yzerman has a a chance of being the new GM and Larionov would be an assistant coach. He said Yzerman is eager to become a GM and is uncomfortable about leapfrogging Jim Nill into the GM position.

Now, in the same interview the columnist said that Bowman has personally called him to deny being offered the position. Who knows what's really going on.

some strange things have happened in hockey. But I'm sure over the duartion of his Career, Steve has had chances to go other places. But his loyalty is one of his greatest attributes. I sure he loves Canada, but he represents that fine at the worlds and the Olympics. When it comes to the NHL, he is a Red Wings, and I dont think anything will change that.

Guest DetroitIan

That wouldnt make any sense whatsoever. A life long Red Wing, who is already in the Red Wings front office, is just gonna pack up and help the Maple Leafs?? Yeah right. Not a chance in hell this happens. If and when Stevie becomes a GM in this league, no doubt it will be with the Detroit Red Wings. Hopefully behind the bench one day as well.

And Mike Vernon was gonna be the goalie coach, Gordie Howe was going to be the head of public relations and if Chelly decides to retire they'll make him one of the assistants. ;) Why is it every one from Toronto thinks that city is the Hockey Mecca? Should we once a day face Toronto and say a prayer to the hockey gods? Toronto blew last year and they will blow this year . It's like the smoking man from the x-files put a curse on them like he did the Bills, as long as he's alive, the Leafs will never win a cup.

IPB Image

I just threw up in my mouth...Stevie would not leave Detroit for Toronto...they throw out random crap on Primetime Sports all the time...this will not happen

There is a tv/radio show here in Canada called Primetime sports. There was a columnist on who says he has heard from someone close to Bowman that the there has indeed been discussion between the Leafs and Bowman. He says this same person told him that if Bowman were to become president, Yzerman has a a chance of being the new GM and Larionov would be an assistant coach. He said Yzerman is eager to become a GM and is uncomfortable about leapfrogging Jim Nill into the GM position.

Now, in the same interview the columnist said that Bowman has personally called him to deny being offered the position. Who knows what's really going on.

Toronto media is about as reliable as Eklund rumours. I wouldn't put stock in anything they say.

But lets pretend that this could be true. I'd be extremely disappointed if Stevie left for the Leafs. This guy should be a Red Wing for life in any capacity.

And I don't see him uprooting his family anytime soon.

If anything, I could see Bowman leaving for Toronto and taking Jim Nill with him.

Nill's contract prevents him from going.

Well there you go.

I still think the Leafs are morons for not doing everything in their power to get Bowman on board. If Scotty Bowman walks into my office and says "you're current GM is an idiot and you need a new coaching staff" I'm filling out pink slips for those guys before Bowman finishes talking.

In the Denver Post there's a mention of what's going on in this saga and apparently there's just too many cheifs in the Tee-Pee to get anything done in that organization.

But that'll never change. The Leafs don't need to win anything. They'd sell out every game if they went 0-82 for the next 100 years. It doesn't matter how bad or good the Leafs are or who runs them. There's no incentive to win if the fans come no matter what product you pinch out on the ice.

I think that this is a load of crap. I can't see Stevie leaving espeicaly for Toronto.

On top of it Larionov, from what i hear, is pretty happy with living on his vinyard in Cal. and he is doing some work with an equipment manufacture out there. Don't know if he would want to make the move to Toronto to coach there.

But that'll never change. The Leafs don't need to win anything. They'd sell out every game if they went 0-82 for the next 100 years. It doesn't matter how bad or good the Leafs are or who runs them. There's no incentive to win if the fans come no matter what product you pinch out on the ice.

QFT.

...which is exactly the reason why that organization will never turn it around. Harold Ballard came up with that line of thinking when he ran the team, and basically it became a benchmark of how every ownership group with look upon for the Leafs in the future.

Ballard ran that team into the ground. His legacy of being a dick, amoung other things, will last forever in a shadow on the Leafs organization. That's why they have idiots like JFJ calling the shots.

This is possibly the stupidest rumor Ive heard all year. Yzerman does this, and his entire reputation with the Red Wings organization would be tarnished forever.

Try and think of a time where Yzerman ever exhibited disloyalty to the Wings, and youll realize how stupid this is.

I normally wouldn't honor these types of obsurdities with a response but since its about Yzerman......

Does any one really believe for even a split second that he would dump the wings for any other team??? COME ON!!

As for Bowman, he wants to have more control than the leafs are gonna give him. NUF SAID.

This is nothing more than wishful thinking.

This is possibly the stupidest rumor Ive heard all year. Yzerman does this, and his entire reputation with the Red Wings organization would be tarnished forever.

Try and think of a time where Yzerman ever exhibited disloyalty to the Wings, and youll realize how stupid this is.

Unfourtantly, the canadian media wouldn't care about this at all. They'd be all googly-eyed over the fact that he would be helping Canada's favorite bandwagon team: the Toronto Maple Leafs.

In fact, guys like Grapes and the other circus clowns on HNIC would probably regard him as a national hero or something for doing that. It's completely ridiculous, but they would.

I don't think it would happen though. I mean, talk about BS Eklund's ass rumors we got here. Why would Yzerman go to another organization? The Wings organization has been great to him. They gave him the VP position right after they retired. He has just as much say in roster moves as Holland and Nill. He had his jersey retired here. That sounds pretty damn good to me, so I can't possibly think of a reason why he'd leave, especially for a classless, un-loyal organization like the Leafs.

This is, more or less, just one of those fake summertime rumors that give us something to talk about.

If Steve Yzerman was offered the GM position in Toronto I hope he takes it. I think he would do an excellent job, his loyalty to our team has been more than proven. That being said he needs to think of his own career and to turn down an opportunity to be a GM with an original 6 team would be stupid. And out hurt feelings would heal.