• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zion

Do you play hockey?

Rate this topic

If so, do you play in a league?

I want to get into a beginner league here in Buffalo, which is a great hockey city.

There is a place with 4 rinks, one of which is being used for roller hockey in the summer, and has games all the time and has 4 different skill levels.

http://www.performaxhockey.com/

I even took some game photos that were posted on the website under game pics.

Hard to get enough players to form a new team, being that I've only lived here since December and have a lot going here at the Navy Operational Support Center, but...

... could the Nuclear Postmen make a comeback to amateur hockey?

http://www.freewebs.com/nuclearpostmen

How about you? Post your hockey background, team info, pics, etc here!!!

Played hockey since I was a kid.

I currently play in a mens 21 and over beer league. It's a pretty good league. There's 6 teams and they redraft the teams each year. It helps keep guys honest. Who wants to be a dick to someone they've played with before or might play with next year?

Anyway, there are some guys that've played NHL, AHL, semi-pro, major junior all the way down to houseleague heroes.

It's a fun league and is very well run. I can't say that about any of the other beer leagues I've played in.

Congrats on wanting to get into hockey. It's a blast.

well I am now retired at the tender age of 22, but I will try to get a picture up in a bit.... Started skating at around 3 and started playing when I was 4 or 5, and played until I was about 19. Would like to get back into some type of league. but i refuse to play in beer leagues, I need to find a league where I can go all out and hit and fight if need be. :angry:

well I am now retired at the tender age of 22, but I will try to get a picture up in a bit.... Started skating at around 3 and started playing when I was 4 or 5, and played until I was about 19. Would like to get back into some type of league. but i refuse to play in beer leagues, I need to find a league where I can go all out and hit and fight if need be. :angry:

Look for a Senior "A" league. Not sure where you live but there should be around in some areas.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

If so, do you play in a league?

I want to get into a beginner league here in Buffalo, which is a great hockey city.

There is a place with 4 rinks, one of which is being used for roller hockey in the summer, and has games all the time and has 4 different skill levels.

http://www.performaxhockey.com/

I even took some game photos that were posted on the website under game pics.

Hard to get enough players to form a new team, being that I've only lived here since December and have a lot going here at the Navy Operational Support Center, but...

... could the Nuclear Postmen make a comeback to amateur hockey?

http://www.freewebs.com/nuclearpostmen

How about you? Post your hockey background, team info, pics, etc here!!!

I played for over 2/3 of my 30 years. After a string of suspensions, two hands that show early signs of arthritis, 2 bum knees and a bad back, I am officially retired. Well, getting married and having 2 small kids hasn't helped.

I've been playing hockey since I was 3 years old. I played for various travel teams and actually did tryout for a junior team once, but to no avail.

I currently play in a 21 and older senior league. It's a pretty decent league with good competition. My older brother also plays in the same league I do.

I do occasionally have a hard time with injuries, because my back has been giving me problems ever since I was a teenager (I know, I must sound like an old man :hehe: ). It doesn't bother me that much though, so I can still keep playing on a regular basis.

I did like to fight people in my younger days, even though it was generally frowned upon by people (I have no idea why :D ). Eh, I wasn't Derek Boogaard or anything, but I did hold my own.

Since I was never a very gifted offensive player, I was usually playing defensive roles. I was most effective playing on checking lines and the PK, since that's the area of the game I excelled in.

I played when I was a young punk until around the age of 13 then I switched to football and started breaking bones like hand, ribs, blew out my elbow , fractured my foot, and hyper extended my knee. I have tried skating again but I just can not do it at any competitive level so stopped playing again and now enjoy watching my daughter play, go play it will change your life oh hey does anyone have any ALEVE

Edited by DEVILSWATERBOY

Cool thread.

I don't know what your skill level is, or what your health or economic position is, but there's always lower-level professional teams holding tryouts at the beginning of the season. Heck, if Brendan Tedstone can do it...

As for myself, I'm a goalie that plays inline hockey. I started off playing in January 05 playing at Skateplex in Sterling Heights, where I spent the whole year playing drop-in, subbing games, and playing in a development league. In 06, I played in the Winter and Fall Iron leagues at Joe Dumars Fieldhouse and Maxx Arena. I started off on a team during the Winter 07 season, but had a falling out with the members and was gone after the first game. At that point, i focused on graduating college and moving to start a band. I've since accomplished both.

Since I moved to Phoenix, I found a place that has roller hockey, but since I'm still waiting for my equipment, I can't say how competitive it is. I hope to find out sooner than later.

Great responses.

I skate on our drill deck here at NOSC Buffalo.

I also play pick-up every now-and-then to stay in some kind of form, as well as play pick-up at least once a month at one of the several ice rinks around here.

The kids get all of the prime ice-time, but the adult leagues are fun and surprisingly competitive. I would love to switch to defenseman and play in one of the non-checking leagues. I'd have to say that Cheli has really inspired me.

I noticed that the top photos on the website are all mine, so that's cool. What did you think? I enjoyed watching the games from the bleachers... but couldn't help but notice some of the teams with only 10-12 skaters... unacceptable!

I have no injuries ever but my intent when i get one hte ice is to fire someone through the glass, i use thrash metal to hype up. Ive found out that not drinking milk is the way to go since i havent broken a bone yet and i play a very reckless form of hockey.

I do I have played hockey for 19 years and still playing. I play every sunday with the guys from the league I play in here in MN. I also play during the winters and fall in my league, love every minute we are called the Head Hunters. We play for HNA league. Love my hockey.

I started playing hockey when I was 12.

Because I was a terrible skater (still am...) I became a goalie at 14.

Played till I was 22.

Unfortunately, I couldn't combine it with my professional life...

too bad !

I'm in a men's over 40 league in Grand Rapids. The nice thing about the over 40 league is most of the jackass 19 year olds who start fights every game are long gone and only the serious hockey players are still playing.

I also play with a group of guys who rent ice every week. Definitely non-competitive. We don't even keep score. The main purpose is to get out of the house and away from the wives and drink beer.

Great responses.

I skate on our drill deck here at NOSC Buffalo.

I also play pick-up every now-and-then to stay in some kind of form, as well as play pick-up at least once a month at one of the several ice rinks around here.

The kids get all of the prime ice-time, but the adult leagues are fun and surprisingly competitive. I would love to switch to defenseman and play in one of the non-checking leagues. I'd have to say that Cheli has really inspired me.

I noticed that the top photos on the website are all mine, so that's cool. What did you think? I enjoyed watching the games from the bleachers... but couldn't help but notice some of the teams with only 10-12 skaters... unacceptable!

Some teams prefer less players - more icetime.

I play forward in my Monday night league but this past spring I played defense for a tournament. I loved it! Even though you don't get nearly as much offensive glory there's just something about shutting guys down, mucking in corners and making a nice first pass. I might switch to defense full time.

I have been playing since I could skate. I learned to skate at the age of 3. I play in a beer league which is ran by the company I work for during the summer, it is a blast. I also play intermural hockey at school, that is weak, the University of Toronto is not exactly into hockey so not really much of team going on with them or else I would be there in a flash. Hockey is an absolute blast though, I cannot imagine what my childhood would have been without it.

I play drop in every Friday and once the league starts back up in the fall, I'll be getting back into league games.

Growing up, I always played street hockey with my friends, and some ice hockey if my neighbor behind me made a backyard rink or we went to a pond, but I never played anything organized. In college I did intramural floor hockey and roller hockey. Then in law school I decided to start playing ice hockey in a league.

I'm not very good, but I do love to get out and play.

Been playing the great sport of hockey for about 25 years now.

Grew up playing house and travel in Muskegon.

Played HS at Mona Shores (a few years before Abdelkader)

Played IM at WMU

Now playing inline here in Cincinnati every Sunday. I'm getting old but I still LOVE to play the game. My team is taking the summer season off for a number of reasons. I got hooked up with a different team in the same league for the time being.

Cincy Inline

Raging Mantis Hockey Club <- I didn't pick the name.

Hank,

I couldn't agree more about the defense. I have found that playing D is very satisfying.

cincywingfan, cool sites. Glad I'm not the only one with a passion for hockey in the blood.

Hank,

D is alot of fun, i used to play a bit of d when someone on our team got hurt or suspended or something. There is nothing more satisfying then catching a guy not even paying attention looking back for a pass or the guys who admire there passes for a brief second or two and laying the boom down on them, and pinching in when the winger is looking back at his d man waiting for the breakout pass, really good way to get some big hits on defense.

Great responses.

but couldn't help but notice some of the teams with only 10-12 skaters... unacceptable!

Fewer skaters means more playing time. I once played a game where we only had 8 skaters-myself and one other center, 3 wingers, and 3 D, and our other center spent half the game in the box...so I saw a lot of ice. It was fun, even though we were beaten like 8-1.