• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrie

Ray Emery

Rate this topic

I just got in from a long weekend in Vancouver to attend my cousin's wedding. Whenever I fly to Vancouver I start in Hamilton, switch planes in Calgary, and end up in Vancouver. The way home is Vancouver-Calgary-Hamilton.

Tonight on our Calgary to Hamilton flight was, no joke, Ray Emery. He just kind of mingled in with the rest of us, no fan fare or flash. He didn't have first class or anything like that. He was sitting in the last 1/3 of the plane.

I think it was only myself and another guy who actually recognized him, that or no one else wanted to approach him. When we got off in Hamilton the other dude talked to him a bit; then I went up to Ray while he was pulling his Sens Hockey bag off the bagage claim.

I said, "I thought that was you, the Senators bag confirms it". Ray just kind of looked at me, probably seeing if he actually knew who I was.

I went on asking him, "When does training camp start?". He slowly smiled and said, "In a week".

"Nice", I said, and added, "Congratulations on last season". He said, "Thank you", and I walked away.

I was wearing a Red Wings t-shirt too at the time, so I represented us Wings fans with class.

His Hockey bag was massive and he had about 5 goalie sticks wrapped up along with his regular luggage. He was wearing a baseball cap, hooded sweat shirt, and cream cargo shorts (like I said earlier, no fan fare or flash).

Anyway, that's my Emery story. I've never been a fan of his, but enjoyed having a chance to say a few words to him. Good guy for making small talk with me. I'm sure those guys get it all the time and may be sick of it, so props to him to talking to two die hard hockey fans.

Guest DetroitIan

hey, at least he was cool with ya. Better than can be said for the NFL, NBA, or MLB stars.

Where did you come up with that? Who exactly are you talking about? I've met Chauncey Billups(NBA), John Smoltz(MLB), and Terrence Holt(NFL). And they couldnt have been nicer. Terrence Holt even joked with me about my old 49ers hat. They were all cool as hell. If anything, I've heard that NHL players are the assholes. I've even heard that a few former Red Wings were complete dicks to fans, (Sergei Fedorov, Brenden Shanahan).

Edited by DetroitIan

Where did you come up with that? Who exactly are you talking about? I've met Chauncey Billups(NBA), John Smoltz(MLB), and Terrence Holt(NFL). And they couldnt have been nicer. Terrence Holt even joked with me about my old 49ers hat. They were all cool as hell. If anything, I've heard that NHL players are the assholes. I've even heard that a few former Red Wings were complete dicks to fans, (Sergei Fedorov, Brenden Shanahan).

i think that's off base, the nhl fanbase is littered with stories of guys going way out of there way for fans. A story about iginla stands out. There where some guys who drove all night to see a flames playoff game, it was a spur of the moment thing and they planned on sleeping in there car. Iggy found out about it and put him up in hotel out of his own pocket. Lets see terrell owens do that.

Guest Yzer19

All the Red Wing players that I have met were really nice. I've never met Fedorov or Shany, though. I did meet Yzerman, McCarty, Osgood, Vladdie, and Ciccarelli. I thought Yzerman was by far the nicest player out of all of them. He was very friendly and he made it easy to talk to him. McCarty was also very friendly and a nice guy. I met Osgood in his rookie year, so he was really shy. At the time he looked like he was about 12 years old. Ciccarelli was also nice, but kind of quiet. I met Vladdie in 94. He spoke with a very heavy accent. I don't think he really understood English too well at the time.

yea, Emery is a real nut.. i'm from Hamilton.. he's always down at the local bars in the summer time getting into scraps... last summer a bouncer gave him a pretty good ass beating. but Ray is no slouch... the same summer.. some guy was cruzing by the bars in a Ferrari with some chick.. Ray Emery is drinking on the patio at the bar right next to me with Adam Mair of the Sabres... so the guy in the Ferarri spots Ray and yells "nice choke job in the playoffs Ray"... then Ray proceeded to run up, grab him out of his car and smack him around a little.. it was pretty entertaining.. the guy in the car deserved it.. he was just a greasy little rich kid trying to impress his girlfriend.. maybe next time he will think twice before he runs his mouth..

I agree that not all MLB, NFL or NBA playes are idiots. But I have never, ever heard one bad thing said about NHL players as a whole.

WDFN interviewed a USAToday sports writer (can't remember his name) and he went on and on about how NHL players are the best to talk with and cover. When he was starting out, he was like most US sports writers in that he wanted to cover NFL and MLB. But being a rookie he had to start at the bottom so they gave him some NHL coverage. Eventually, after working up the ranks he was given NFL duty, along with MLB and NBA along the way. He said that after covering all the 4 major sports, along with others, NHL players were always the most humble and gracious.

He went on to say that only Patrick Roy had any kind of ego to him and even then it paled in comparison to bench warmers in the MLB and NFL.

And I've heard the exact same sentiments from multiple people that have covered all the major sports. Heck even Jim Rome praises the NHL because of how down to earth it's players are.

i think that's off base, the nhl fanbase is littered with stories of guys going way out of there way for fans. A story about iginla stands out. There where some guys who drove all night to see a flames playoff game, it was a spur of the moment thing and they planned on sleeping in there car. Iggy found out about it and put him up in hotel out of his own pocket. Lets see terrell owens do that.

I believe that was actually at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.

But you're right, I don't think there are too many players from the NFL, the MLB or the NBA that would do that. I'm sure there's a few that would, but I bet you a far greater percentage of NHLers would have done the same thing.

Guest snowman89

hey, at least he was cool with ya. Better than can be said for the NFL, NBA, or MLB stars.

Bottom Line is there are guys in every sport that are gonna be nice and there are some guys that are not. It is unfair to say that players in certain sports are nicer than others. Hockey gets a better reputation generally because of the racial profile of the sport. Hockey players in most areas are far less in the spot light and less noticed, making them more open to small talk conversations because they travel in a lower profile, because they can. Brett Hull was never noted as a very personable guy, but who knows if that is because he was or a couple people had a bad experience, and that spread as truth because he traveled with a higher profile and was not as accessable to the public. Sorry if I dont make sense....

All the Red Wing players that I have met were really nice. I've never met Fedorov or Shany, though. I did meet Yzerman, McCarty, Osgood, Vladdie, and Ciccarelli. I thought Yzerman was by far the nicest player out of all of them. He was very friendly and he made it easy to talk to him. McCarty was also very friendly and a nice guy. I met Osgood in his rookie year, so he was really shy. At the time he looked like he was about 12 years old. Ciccarelli was also nice, but kind of quiet. I met Vladdie in 94. He spoke with a very heavy accent. I don't think he really understood English too well at the time.

Osgood still looks like he is 12! LOL

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Ian, I have to tell you, sometimes I wonder to myself...."WTF is Ian talking about?"

Painting all NBA, MLB or NFL players as dicks isn't right IMO and you're right to question that assertion. However, where on earth did you hear hockey players are jerks?

I've only ever heard that hockey players in general are the kindest, most outgoing and most likely to give back to their communities, cities, etc... of all the major sports. Hockey players have a reputation for signing autographs and going out of their way to make time for fans and do charity work, etc...

I've never once heard anybody say hockey players weren't the unequivocal best of the best when it comes to pro athletes in this regard.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

So you bring up personal good stories about other sports, but you say 'well i've heard' for bad stories about the NHL? Well I'ev heard (from posters on this board, no less) about plenty of good experiences involving NHL players, including both Fedorov and Shanahan.

I think there is an exception somewhere to every story about meeting up with players. I've heard that "all" NHLers are awesome and then I've heard that some are not so friendly and are butt-heads to fans. Personally, I've not had any bad experiences with NHL players... unless you count some of them ducking and running when they see fans. :P But I don't think that's rude; I think they simply don't have time or are maybe having a bad day -- which they are allowed, like anyone else. Who says they have to perfect and accessible 24/7? I don't think they owe me anything other than their best effort on the ice. Everything else is gravy...

Anyway, I haven't gone out of my way to meet any NBA or NFL players, so I can't speak to that aspect. I did sit next to Roger Staubach on a plane once, and he was a total gentleman and delightful company.

JMO. :)

Does anyone remember that Yzerman story about the little girl being scared to ask for his autograph, in like the early 90s. Well the girl wouldn't ask for one and her friends were screaming in the background, Yzerman skates up to her all serious looking, cracks a smile then hands her his stick.

Also the Draper story was sad but great, about the girl with cancer, I'll try to find it.

Guest DetroitIan

I've never once heard anybody say hockey players weren't the unequivocal best of the best when it comes to pro athletes in this regard.

Well, I have. Only about a few players that is. Not all NHLers as a whole. The only hockey player I've ever met, was Pavel Datsyuk. That was about 2 1/2 years ago. And he was really cool, and really nice. Granted, I really didnt understand anything he was saying. I think he said something about the flash from the camera blinding him for a second. But his english was too broken at the time. I just smiled and said "Yeah". But I really wasnt exactly sure what he was saying. But yeah, totally nice guy. No problems at all. My only point was, out of all the major sports, I've only heard about hockey players being dicks. And the two Wings I heard about were Feds and Shanny. I dont know first hand. Just hear-say. But still, all the pro atheletes I've met have been great.

i tried it meet Yzerman once. It was in 94 here in Edmonton, and it was my first NHL AND Wings game, and the Oilers beat them 4-2. I went downstairs with my dad after the game to try and get his autograph - there were about 25 other people watching for players and trying to get autographs. I guess Yzerman was in a bad mood or something because he stood about 5 feet away from everyone just talking with an agent/assistant coach or something and did not approach anyone waiting for autographs... being 9 i was kind of upset, but didnt really waver my devotion to him or the team. I remember my dad yelling some Dutch insult at him, hoping he would notice. (after all, Yzerman is Dutch by heritage and so am I) Nevertheless, he didnt pay much attention to us, but I always just attributed it to the loss that night.

I have also met a bunch of NHLers at the restaraunt i work at part time while i am not in school. We get the Oilers in for postgame meals alot, and I have seen Grant Fuhr and Kevin Lowe in a couple of times. Ryan Smyth was by far the nicest. He used to come in by himself in the afternoon and have a quiet meal in the lounge.

On a side - i dont think i have ever told you guys THIS story...but ironically, everytime the Red Wings come to Edmonton, their caterer always orders about 16-20 lbs of Dry Ribs from our restaurant. The guys in the kitchen always let me make them and package them up cause they know im a wings fan. Its kind of a nice thing i look forward to doing every time they are in town. I always write little things on the side of the boxes like "go Wings" or "Chelios for MVP". I hope they get as much of a kick out of it as I do. hahah

anyways..those are my stories.

p.s. i should add that i DID eventually get Yzermans autograph through a family friend who owns/owned a comedy club in Detroit where Yzerman used to go. He was nice enough to sign a Red Wings business card for me. It read " To Tys, Best Wishes, Steve Yzerman 19". The guy then mailed me the card. I wish i got to actually meet him, but at least i have his autograph with my name on it.

Edited by Yzerfan1999

I just got in from a long weekend in Vancouver to attend my cousin's wedding. Whenever I fly to Vancouver I start in Hamilton, switch planes in Calgary, and end up in Vancouver. The way home is Vancouver-Calgary-Hamilton.

Tonight on our Calgary to Hamilton flight was, no joke, Ray Emery. He just kind of mingled in with the rest of us, no fan fare or flash. He didn't have first class or anything like that. He was sitting in the last 1/3 of the plane.

I think it was only myself and another guy who actually recognized him, that or no one else wanted to approach him. When we got off in Hamilton the other dude talked to him a bit; then I went up to Ray while he was pulling his Sens Hockey bag off the bagage claim.

I said, "I thought that was you, the Senators bag confirms it". Ray just kind of looked at me, probably seeing if he actually knew who I was.

I went on asking him, "When does training camp start?". He slowly smiled and said, "In a week".

"Nice", I said, and added, "Congratulations on last season". He said, "Thank you", and I walked away.

I was wearing a Red Wings t-shirt too at the time, so I represented us Wings fans with class.

His Hockey bag was massive and he had about 5 goalie sticks wrapped up along with his regular luggage. He was wearing a baseball cap, hooded sweat shirt, and cream cargo shorts (like I said earlier, no fan fare or flash).

Anyway, that's my Emery story. I've never been a fan of his, but enjoyed having a chance to say a few words to him. Good guy for making small talk with me. I'm sure those guys get it all the time and may be sick of it, so props to him to talking to two die hard hockey fans.

That's a pretty cool story

These players are all humans with actual feelings, emotions and mood swings. Depending on if you catch a player on a good day or bad will most likely determine how they treat you.

I have met a ton of players but the one that sticks out the most was Sean Avery. He was a complete ******* when we met him at Fanatic U livonia a few years ago... he wouldn't smile and he would barely say hello when you talked to him. he would grab your item sign it and move on to the next person.

I met him again after a Kings/Wings game at the Joe and he was the nicest person around (except for my boy JR) He had an ice pack taped onto his hand and he was still out there smiling and signing autographs for a lot of fans.

players are humans not robots they have good and bad mood swings.

Edited by OsGOD

I don't even know what I wore yesterday, why so much interest in what someone else was wearing? :P

Well on the plane I wasn't exactly sure if it was him or not, so I kinda tried to find clues. Actually, on my way out there I bought the Hockey News 2007-08 Yearbook in the Calgary airport, so I was checking where Emery is from and how tall he is (again, looking for anything to confirm if it was Ray).

These players are all humans with actual feelings, emotions and mood swings. Depending on if you catch a player on a good day or bad will most likely determine how they treat you.

I have met a ton of players but the one that sticks out the most was Sean Avery. He was a complete ******* when we met him at Fanatic U livonia a few years ago... he wouldn't smile and he would barely say hello when you talked to him. he would grab your item sign it and move on to the next person.

I met him again after a Kings/Wings game at the Joe and he was the nicest person around (except for my boy JR) He had an ice pack taped onto his hand and he was still out there smiling and signing autographs for a lot of fans.

players are humans not robots they have good and bad mood swings.

It would be sweet if they were though :D

shanny gave me a puck while playing for the rangers here in DC when i was wearing a red wings uni...hardly the *******

Guest DetroitIan

shanny gave me a puck while playing for the rangers here in DC when i was wearing a red wings uni...hardly the *******

Like he couldnt have been in a good mood that day?? Like I said, I never seen anything first hand. But I heard(i think it was maybe even here) that he was coming out of some restaraunt in Royal Oak, and basically ignored all his fans and didnt even wave or anything. But then again, maybe he was just in a bad mood that day. Who knows.

I got a story for ya's...

I ran into Danica Patrick the other day in Texas. Danica couldn't have been any cooler, she answered all my questions about racing. I said that she had a pretty smile, then we began to make out. I know what your thinking, and yes I am very well off. I then rubbed her body down with nice oils and such and got her all preped for some good old fashion doggy lovin. I fell in love that day. not cause of her celeb status, but for the fact that she took a cleveland steamer with such class. I then did what I normally do, which is pull out my wallet and hand her a couple benjamins but she kindly declined and said consider this one on me. As we said our final goodbyes, she reared back and ripped one of the biggest bombs I've ever heard. The red light went on, as it does when Pav buries one in the back of the net at the Joe. I know this story doesn't compare to meeting Ray Emery on an airplane, but it will always will hold a special spot in my heart.

Guest DetroitIan

I got a story for ya's...

I ran into Danica Patrick the other day in Texas. Danica couldn't have been any cooler, she answered all my questions about racing. I said that she had a pretty smile, then we began to make out. I know what your thinking, and yes I am very well off. I then rubbed her body down with nice oils and such and got her all preped for some good old fashion doggy lovin. I fell in love that day. not cause of her celeb status, but for the fact that she took a cleveland steamer with such class. I then did what I normally do, which is pull out my wallet and hand her a couple benjamins but she kindly declined and said consider this one on me. As we said our final goodbyes, she reared back and ripped one of the biggest bombs I've ever heard. The red light went on, as it does when Pav buries one in the back of the net at the Joe. I know this story doesn't compare to meeting Ray Emery on an airplane, but it will always will hold a special spot in my heart.

HAHAHAHAHAAHA! :lol::lol: No matter what the mods say. That was the funniest post I've read in MONTHS. :lol: