• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank

Grigs out of shape

Rate this topic

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

A few thoughts on the Red Wings' 3-2 loss to the Rangers, Monday ...

-- Evan McGrath is was flying. He was the best forward on the team. He blocked shots. He went to the net. He showed good skills. And he was the vocal leader on the bench.

-- Darren Helm left the game with a slight injury that will keep him out of Tuesday's final game of the tournament. He should be ready to go for the main camp, Friday.

-- Igor Grigorenko needs to do a lot more to make this team. He had a sub-par game against the Rangers. He was above average in a tournament against 18-22 year-olds, a tournament that he could have dominated. He came to camp out of shape. There's still time for Grigorenko, but at the moment, the Red Wings' brass is not impressed.

-- Victor Bartley was the Red Wings' best defenseman. That's good for Victor, but not good for Jonathan Ericsson and Jakub Kindl, both of whom had subpar games.

-- Mattias Ritola was buried on the third line in this tournament and didn't do anything to prove that's not where he belongs.

If this report is accurate, then I'm not too impressed myself. This is the biggest window of Grig's pro hockey career and he shows up out of shape?

To me, I think the kid's already made his mind up. He probably figured, I'll show up and do what I can do, and if it doesn't work out I'll go back to Russia and make $1M tax free.

If that's the case, I don't want him here. But I sure hope he can get into shape and make this team.

Edited by Hank

Guest Yzer19

Well that's disappointing to hear. Hopefully he'll do better at training camp and get into better shape.

or, he had an offnight

the guy was the best player in the first two games, i recall 3 assists in the last game

but yes i know, we love to bash the Russians (and europeans in general), nothing new in Wings world

Are you kidding me? Everyone on this board, including me, has been super excited about seeing this kid in action. Nobody's slamming him because he's Russian. I'd be saying the exact same thing if it was a highly touted Swede, Fin, American or Canadian.

And while he did get 3 assists in game 2, one was a phantom assist while he was sitting on the bench and the other one was from him trying to ice the puck when Mursak beat out the icing and setup another player for the marker.

Also, this is the 2nd time it's been mentioned the he's been out of shape. Not something you want to do when trying to earn an NHL job.

Are you kidding me? Everyone on this board, including me, has been super excited about seeing this kid in action. Nobody's slamming him because he's Russian. I'd be saying the exact same thing if it was a highly touted Swede, Fin, American or Canadian.

And while he did get 3 assists in game 2, one was a phantom assist while he was sitting on the bench and the other one was from him trying to ice the puck when Mursak beat out the icing and setup another player for the marker.

Also, this is the 2nd time it's been mentioned the he's been out of shape. Not something you want to do when trying to earn an NHL job.

so he is out of shape, big deal...so am I and Keith Tkachuck :ph34r::D

Guest Yzer19

so he is out of shape, big deal...so am I and Keith Tkachuck :ph34r::D

Keith Tkachuk is an established NHL veteran (not that it makes it right), not some young kid trying to make an NHL team. It's a bit of a different situation.

Edited by Yzer19

Well MacLeod sure changed his tune pretty fast. He had nothing but nice things to say about Griggs after the game against Tampa.

-- Igor Grigorenko was the best offensive forward in the game. His skating isn't his strength, but it's not a negative by any means. Tonight, he was the one guy who slowed the game down. In the first period, he created a lot, but looked for the pass even when he was in the slot with the puck. After one power play, Coach Mike Stothers hollered on the bench "Not one f-ing shot on the power play. Grigger, shoot the puck." Grigger shot the puck in the second and third periods. He anticipates well. He plays down low, but prefers the perimeter. Although he had three assists, Grigorenko was key on just McGrath's goal, getting the puck to him in front. (Jonathan Ericsson carried end-to-end on one of Grigorenko's assists and on Jan Mursak's goal, Grigorenko's pass was two zones and a dump-in away from the puck going in.)

So what's the story Mac? How does he go from "best offensive forward in the game"... "slowed the game down" to "above average" and "needs to do more to make this team"?

So what the hell is the story. Everyone has an off night - but is he " the best offensive forward" or "slowing his team down" anyone actually see this kid - the other guy can't seem to make his labile mind up

very conflicting report. well, shall we wait and see until training camp and the preseason. too be quite honest, Grigs is in his mid 20's and he may just want to be a bit on the senior, hence cautious side, playing with the eager beavers. imagine if he got injured at this point

or, he had an offnight

the guy was the best player in the first two games, i recall 3 assists in the last game

Yeah- I have a hard time taking everything in that summary as truthful in the overall picture given that Ericsson has had a goal every game so far and he's an effing defenseman.

A slightly conflicting report from RWC:

http://www.redwingscentral.com/stories/200...1_Notebook.html

 The Red Wings are happy with the play of Russian rookie Igor Grigorenko through three games of the prospects tournament.

The 5-foot-10, 209 pound winger has four assists and is a plus-1.

“He’s played pretty well,†Nill said. “He’s really got the head (for the game). He makes plays that guys aren’t ready for, but this has been good just to get him ready for main camp.â€Â

Oh bulls***... he is not out of shape!!!!! his jersey is too effing tight!

IPB Image

can't get much air in your lungs with a jersey that tight. Kudos Mr. B!

Edited by OsGOD

Yeah- I have a hard time taking everything in that summary as truthful in the overall picture given that Ericsson has had a goal every game so far and he's an effing defenseman.

He has only played defence for a couple years, he is a natural forward

I'm just curious....how does anyone who's not on the ice claim someone is out of shape? Unless he was in the corner gasping for breath or some obvious sign, I guess I don't know how a spectator/media makes that determination. I played a good deal of hockey in my life and the only way I knew if someone was "out of shape" was sitting on the bench or in the locker room.

Anyhow, he'll have no choice but to be in shape with the amount of hockey he'll be playing in the next three weeks. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt already...he's in a new country, new team mates, new style of hockey, and new rink size...btw...he is putting up numbers.

Can't wait for hockey to begin...ohhhh yeahhh.

From the clips of the games I have watched in the prospects camp I can say a few things for you guys. #1 Grigs is using these games to get use to the NA style of play and also the size of the rinks. #2 He is playing well within himeself, believe me you haven't seen nothing yet. #3 I would take the quote that some poster used earlier, he is looking after himself by not getting to involved with the rookies tearing about. After all he is here to try and make the Wings roster, not get injured in a rookies camp. #4 Its clear his skill level's are above most of the guys he is currently playing with, as Mr Nill suggested. #5 We'll all know if he really wants to be an NHL player when the main camp starts. WTS.

From the clips of the games I have watched in the prospects camp I can say a few things for you guys. #1 Grigs is using these games to get use to the NA style of play and also the size of the rinks. #2 He is playing well within himeself, believe me you haven't seen nothing yet. #3 I would take the quote that some poster used earlier, he is looking after himself by not getting to involved with the rookies tearing about. After all he is here to try and make the Wings roster, not get injured in a rookies camp. #4 Its clear his skill level's are above most of the guys he is currently playing with, as Mr Nill suggested. #5 We'll all know if he really wants to be an NHL player when the main camp starts. WTS.

:clap: