• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueMonk

The Fight Thread

Rate this topic

We'll start with one I just saw in the Nashville-St. Louis game. Hordichuk-King. Looked like a pretty good tilt from the one replay I saw. I'd give the win to King, who landed the best punch of the fight.

We'll start with one I just saw in the Nashville-St. Louis game. Hordichuk-King. Looked like a pretty good tilt from the one replay I saw. I'd give the win to King, who landed the best punch of the fight.

I saw it too, and King is the real deal. The only person that beat him last year was Boogaard. I'd like to see more raw power from King, but he's definitely got size and strength. He surprised me last year by beating guys that I didn't think he'd win against, but people will be gunning for him this year.

definitely have to give King the advantage. Looked like Darcy got him under the right eye a little bit, but it could have been from his helmet.

When they interviewed hordichuk at intermission, he had a big lump on his forehead and a black eye.

Started out pretty good, but as it went one, you could tell that Hordichuk was just outsized and he did a lot of hugging. Still, a pretty good, lengthy bout.

St. Louis got two early goals, and won a big fight in between. Definitely a good recipe for securing the momentum early and dominating a game.

Edited by Legionnaire11

DJ King is my boy! He's a darkhorse candidate for champ this year...I really like him.

Static- I saw that Horton/Asham fight, Horton smacked him around pretty good....i think thats the worst ive seen Asham go down in probably...hell i cant even recall.

DJ King is my boy! He's a darkhorse candidate for champ this year...I really like him.

Static- I saw that Horton/Asham fight, Horton smacked him around pretty good....i think thats the worst ive seen Asham go down in probably...hell i cant even recall.

I like King to Lou. The guy can really throw good punches and he isn't afraid to take 1 to give 1. I didn't know Horton could handle himself like that, but after watching that fight he looked very good.

Who do you guys think are the up & coming fighters?

I am really looking forwarded to this year. It seems there a lot of teams that want to be more agressive.

Hockeyfights.com and Youtube should be busy this year with some good clips.

Good tilt in the Nashville-Phoenix game, Carcillo and Nichol. Win Carcillo, just fed him a bunch of rights.

Not a fight, but Tootoo got clotheslined and left the game. He elbowed Winnik and Weller took exception and laid him out on the ice.

Good tilt in the Nashville-Phoenix game, Carcillo and Nichol. Win Carcillo, just fed him a bunch of rights.

Not a fight, but Tootoo got clotheslined and left the game. He elbowed Winnik and Weller took exception and laid him out on the ice.

I saw the highlights, Tootoo tried to hit Winnik like Downie on McAmmond, he missed but still elbowed Winnik, then over comez Weller and knocks him down. I really hate Tootoo :lol:

was looking for the Boulerice-Kesler incident and found this

Why don't we dress this beast!

There is one out there of Downey from last season in Montreal, and he fights Chris Neil of the Senators, its a good one to see. Downey and Neil both land heavy shots.

Nichol was dropped quickly......Tootoo was seeing birdies flying around his head. Been a bad couple of games for Tootoo, he was beat on in the Dallas game and then took the clothesline last night.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I saw the highlights, Tootoo tried to hit Winnik like Downie on McAmmond, he missed but still elbowed Winnik, then over comez Weller and knocks him down. I really hate Tootoo :lol:

Can anybody explain why Weller got a match penalty for knocking Tootoo down? Is the league really trying to crack down or what? That "clothesline" was about the weakest match penalty i've ever seen in my life. That thing wouldn't even qualify for WWF wrestling. Old Pete and his buddy thought it was the shot heard round the world of course, which is malarky. I would be surprised if Weller gets suspended for even a single game. Tootoo milked the s*** out of the whole thing. I mean, if he was genuinely injured by that take down (which he wasn't), he had enough sense to put his arms over his head and cover himself up. Anybody who doesn't believe he was milking the s*** out of that is way too gullible.

Not even a mention of this match penalty on TSN or NHL today. It shouldn't have been a match at all. Maybe they called it because of the score and how much time was left to control the game. It wasn't necessary. They could've given Weller 2 for roughing and a 10 minute misconduct.

Terrible judgment by the officials. Nice job of acting by Tootoo as well.

didn't see it since I turned off the game in disgust before that happened.

anyway, from what i'm reading on the Preds boards is that Tootoo's hit was boarderline malicious and especially given his reputation, could be a suspension. But Weller should get more, but since tootoo came back to the game, it won't be that much.

I don't believe tootoo was faking, usually he'd bounce right back up and be ready to throw down. So, if he stayed down, then he was obviously out of it for a second.

----------------------

honestly, the way the NHL seems to handle these things, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing at all happens. They like to penalize for injuries, yet they let other things go that are the exact same actions if there is no injury.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

didn't see it since I turned off the game in disgust before that happened.

anyway, from what i'm reading on the Preds boards is that Tootoo's hit was boarderline malicious and especially given his reputation, could be a suspension. But Weller should get more, but since tootoo came back to the game, it won't be that much.

I don't believe tootoo was faking, usually he'd bounce right back up and be ready to throw down. So, if he stayed down, then he was obviously out of it for a second.

----------------------

honestly, the way the NHL seems to handle these things, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing at all happens. They like to penalize for injuries, yet they let other things go that are the exact same actions if there is no injury.

For Legion, the most in depth analysis of the Clostheline of the century, brought to you by GS&T who would rather be typing this long winded explanation than doing actual work.

Legion, I was tivoing the game so I watched the clip a couple of times. You may not believe it but here's my no bias assessment of the whole thing. To get some type of reference it was the same type of play where Downie hit McAmmond. Not the same hit but the same scenario, guy coming from behind the net, backchecker on him, Tootoo recognizing the play and darting from the circle to make the check when the guy came around the net.

1. The bad part of Tootoo's hit was he took 5 strides and stopped just prior to making contact. It should've been a charging call.

2. It was a clean hit IMO from all other aspects, wasn't late, wasn't an elbow or anything like that, just a charge.

3. I don't think there would've been any punishment to Tootoo had he KO'd the Coyote player. The hit would've been much like Steve Moore's on Naslund, a blow to the head but clean and currently within the rules of the game.

As for the maliciousness of it, it was pretty clear as I replayed the clip that Tootoo recognized the situation and instantly made a bee line from the circle to try and lay the big hit on. He was going for it and just missed catching all of the guy. But other than a potential charge, I didn't have any problem with the hit attempt.

Ok, now to the "clothesline" of the century. Tootoo was skating back up ice as players were trying to figure out in their brains if the s*** was going to go down or not and Weller was sort of coasting, he actually was barely moving at all when Tootoo was about 5 feet away from him. It looked to me that at the last minute Weller decided he should do something so he raised his right arm and basically with his glove he caught Tootoo on the face and shoved him down. If I had to explain the ferocity of the takedown, I would liken it to this: You're standing still next to a guy, you reach up and grasp his face and shove him down. It was not vicious at all. As soon as the glove made contact, Jordin's kicked his legs out from under him and went down on his back, he then slid over on his stomach and as he felt somebody touching him he placed both hands on top of his head, then the pile formed and got pushed about 8 feet away from Tootoo, who just laid there. Now, most people would assume he was hurt. He wasn't. It was obvious, based on the time that Tootoo felt he just drew a call and he was going to milk it. It was actually a really smart play. He knew he wasn't getting called for a penalty on his hit so when he got popped he went down and covered up thinking the Preds were going to get a PP. Which they did.

It was a good play on his part to just feign injury and take the PP. But seriously, you got to get ahold of the folks on your own forum, it was so not a vicious clostheline, Weller just went for his face with the palm side of his hand open and planted a smack/grab on Tootoo's face and he went down like a sack of potatoes.

I just did some more checking. NHL's game summary write up doesn't even mention the altercation, odd since a match penalty was involved. And, they have Peter Mueller listed as the guy given the 5 min maj for "clipping". It wasn't Mueller, it was Weller. TSN finally has a write up on it from Bob McKenzie:

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bob_mckenzie/

Bob pretty much saw what I saw after reading his article. He too thought it was a charge but I didn't really catch Tootoo leaping and no suspension for Weller. I RULE! After watching the highlight again, there is a moment where neither of his feet are touching ice so I guess you could add that to the not so cool part of the hit.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

Kovalchuk vs Stafford

Ilya sees a knee on knee and goes after Lydman. Gets pounced on by Stafford and then off they come. It's crazy how long the lazy, selfish, floater tag has been on Kovalchuk. He's a gamer, and according to most Thrasher fans there is no one on the team that cares about winning and losing more than him. I'd kill to have him on the Wings somehow. He is exactly what we are missing. A big, fast, dynamic, physical, goal- scoring winger.