• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ashenden

Downey on Waivers

Rate this topic

Let me clarify this for everybody.

Downey is waived for one of two reasons:

1) He is the LEAST IMPORTANT PLAYER ON THE TEAM.

2) Because he is the LEAST LIKELY PLAYER TO BE CLAIMED.

Either way, it doesn't make sense to waive Kopecky over Downey.

Downey is several years older than Kopecky and not as good a player. Yes, he fights...maybe that means YOU would rather have him. But Kopecky actually has skill, size and potential...which means he would be claimed on waivers almost immediately. Downey is a career part-timer who is in his mid-30s and has never shown anything other than a willingness to fight. He won't be claimed. Even if he is...it's not a loss.

All Kopecky has going for him is that he is tall. That might do him good if this is a dating show, however, in the NHL you need a little more than that before you're considered a decent player. You're giving him way too much credit for doing absolutely nothing.

Kopecky would be claimed, Downey won't.

If Florida was really this hard up for a tough guy they'd sign Oliwa or a few other dozen marginal heavyweights in the AHL.

Downey has virtually no risk of being claimed.

I think this is a dumb move by the org. I understand all the oh well there a better players in front of him, but come on serious, Kopecky, Ellis, Drake. Sorry these three just do not cut it for me, there is a reason that they are on the fourth line. Granted so is Downey but he has more grit than any of these players. He reminds me of Cleary in a way but without all the goals. I hope to have him come playoff time because I think he can add a dimension to this team in the playoffs. Well hopefully free agency Mr. Holland can show his supremcy. Just disapointed it had to be Downey.

GO WINGS

I love how the Wings organization comes out and compliments Downey, then places him on waivers the very next day. Now that Grigorenko is gone, what exactly is the point in doing this? There is nobody in the AHL that I can think of right now that would be called up to sit the bench, so this move doesn't make sense in my opinion. Unless Holland is planning a trade, which is doubtful, this just seems like a stupid move.

Downey is several years older than Kopecky and not as good a player. Yes, he fights...maybe that means YOU would rather have him. But Kopecky actually has skill, size and potential...which means he would be claimed on waivers almost immediately. Downey is a career part-timer who is in his mid-30s and has never shown anything other than a willingness to fight. He won't be claimed. Even if he is...it's not a loss.

Why are you giving Kopecky so much credit? He does absolutely nothing when he's in the lineup except skate and fall down. He doesn't score, he doesn't use his size. I honestly don't know why you're giving a guy so much credit when he doesn't do anything but take up a roster spot. Surely considering how much you rag on Downey that you would be able to identify the fact that a player isn't very good.

I won't deny the fact that Kopecky would probably get claimed on waivers, but then again, so was Joey MacDonald last season. Just because a player is claimed off of waivers doesn't mean that he is a good player that even belongs in the NHL. If anything, Kopecky would be claimed for a depth position.

I honestly wouldn't consider Kopecky a loss. He has done absolutley nothing in the lineup this year. Everyone wants to point out the fact that he is a +5 in the +/- catagory, but why exactly should that warrant him being in the lineup? Every player should have a role on the team, and I seriously cannot find what Kopecky's role is. He doesn't score, he doesn't hit, he doesn't fight. What does he do exactly? I want a serious answer on this, not just the usual "potential" bulls***. Potential is a word used in the AHL. Once you're in the NHL, it's time to stop sitting on that word and start producing.

Downey is the only one on this team who will defend guys like Zetterberg. He's a good fit here, and I will be very disappointed if we lose him.

On an unrelated note...

If Florida was really this hard up for a tough guy they'd sign Oliwa or a few other dozen marginal heavyweights in the AHL.

The Polish Hammer? I thought he retired

Im starting to feel uneasy about this now...

Me, too. When I saw him go to the box on Wednesday night, I thought, "Don't give Ken Holland a reason to have second thoughts."

I'll go ballistic if they let him go and don't replace him. And I'm not talking about f**king Kopecky when I say "replace," either.

I'm not happy about this, and I'll be pissed if we lose him. Also, I don't feel like Kopecky's 2 points in 14 games merits the type of livid defense he's getting around here...he's a tall guy that plays a small, sloppy game, and his potential means dick if he shows no signs of improvement.

I love how the Wings organization comes out and compliments Downey, then places him on waivers the very next day.

You keep associating waivers with being demoted, he's staying with the team, placing him on waivers just gives the team more roster flexibility. If Chelios and Lebda both go out in the same game, we'd have to waive Downey regardless to bring up another defensemen. Get used to this happening until a trade is made.

You keep associating waivers with being demoted, he's staying with the team, placing him on waivers just gives the team more roster flexibility. If Chelios and Lebda both go out in the same game, we'd have to waive Downey regardless to bring up another defensemen. Get used to this happening until a trade is made.

Would it be likely that either one of those players would end up on IR though? I'm not disagree mind you because placing Downey on waivers does provide roster play.

Should He get sent down barring injuries or be picked up by another team then I will be disappointed.

I wonder if Downey being on waivers is because of a player being hurt, a callup, or just going to happen every time is waiver period expires.

Would it be likely that either one of those players would end up on IR though? I'm not disagree mind you because placing Downey on waivers does provide roster play.

Should He get sent down barring injuries or be picked up by another team then I will be disappointed.

I wonder if Downey being on waivers is because of a player being hurt, a callup, or just going to happen every time is waiver period expires.

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2007/11...rs-waivers.html

I'm assuming every 30 days he'll have to clear waivers.

This guy was the only one reporting Downey on waivers. Never read it any place else. Ie news or freepress. Any one else read this other then this guys blog?

I read it on spectors site too and he is pretty reliable. And it is now past noon some im guessing he cleared? anyone hear anything?

I read it on spectors site too and he is pretty reliable. And it is now past noon some im guessing he cleared? anyone hear anything?

Click on the link in my last post.

I am glad to see that he cleared waivers. But, I think it is unfair to Downey that in another 30 days he will be placed on waivers again. That kind of treatment has to be frustrating.

Kopecky would be claimed, Downey won't.

Downey has virtually no risk of being claimed.

Exactly.

Despite how invaluable to the team many here seem to think he is (for the record I like seeing Downey play 3-5 minutes and drop the gloves to stick up for teammates, but the praise here is a bit over the top), he is least likely to get picked up by another team.

Funny how that works.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2007/11/wh...ved_downey.html

Why the Wings waived Downey

Posted by George James Malik November 09, 2007 11:42AM

As MLive.com's own Ansar Khan noted, the Red Wings may waive Aaron Downey on a monthly basis for the foreseeable future for a simple reason.

As the Wings have a full 23-man roster, if a Red Wing sustains a minor injury, he'd need to be placed on the 7-day IR and miss at least one week's worth of games for the Wings to call someone up from Grand Rapids. Waiving Downey gives the Wings 30 days in which they can temporarily demote Downey and/or call a short-term injury replacement up from the Griffins sans IR complications:

November 9, RedWIngsCorner: Forward Aaron Downey was put on waivers again to give the Red Wings roster flexibility. The same thing happened 30 days ago and Downey wasn't picked up by any other NHL team. With the team at the roster maximum of 23 and every player healthy, putting Downey on waivers and keeping him allows the Red Wings to make an immediate move if necessary without having to wait for someone to clear waivers. It's a pre-approval of sorts. Downey has until noon today to clear waivers or be claimed by another team.

Because it seems everyone is failing to see the point here, I will clarify...

We have a near-geriatric(sp?) goaltender that is prone to injury, and aother one that isn't far behind and has been injured more than a couple of times since being re-acquired, this gives the team the flexibility to call up Howard just incase we lose Hasek or Osgood for a short (less than a week) period. We can send Downey for a short trip to GR and call up Howard. And like stated before, Downey is the most waivable player, in that he will most likely not be claimed.

And yes, I would also be pissed if we lost him. He was on the radio with Ken Kal last night and he seemed really cool. He talked about when he knocked out Boulerice, and when he'd fight Peter Worrell and then go out for beer with him later.

Edited by DSM

I am glad to see that he cleared waivers. But, I think it is unfair to Downey that in another 30 days he will be placed on waivers again. That kind of treatment has to be frustrating.

Why? He signed his contract knowing full well that this would be happening from time to time. I think you guys look at a player being placed on waivers as a death sentence or something, he's not being demoted, but this was one of the specifics I'm sure when he signed his contract. If you read the quotes prior and post signing the contract, he understands his role and is completely fine with it.

Not that it's a big deal, but the fans make more of it than he does, I'm sure.

Why are you giving Kopecky so much credit? He does absolutely nothing when he's in the lineup except skate and fall down. He doesn't score, he doesn't use his size. I honestly don't know why you're giving a guy so much credit when he doesn't do anything but take up a roster spot. Surely considering how much you rag on Downey that you would be able to identify the fact that a player isn't very good.

Haven't you heard the old saying : "He's banging 'em in like Kopecky" ?

:cool:

Oliwa assulted his girlfriend with a hockey stick in Poland and strangled her following that. He faces jail time. I doubt Florida would be able to sign him after that lol.

Of course, your point is entirely true about the rest of the enforcers.

Just thought I'd spice it up when I saw 'Oliwa'.

Despite how invaluable to the team many here seem to think he is (for the record I like seeing Downey play 3-5 minutes and drop the gloves to stick up for teammates, but the praise here is a bit over the top),

His value as an enforcer in and of itself I agree is limited, but when you couple that with a team like Detroit who desparately needs a player of that ilk, it makes a little more sense why he gets the praise here that he does.

peace,

esteef