• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manoir

St.Paul chosen as new Hockeytown USA

Rate this topic

Given that our marketing team came up with Hockeytown, wasn't it copyrighted or trademarked or something along those lines? Or has that run out now?

That just means that Minnesota can't officially use it for marketing. It doesn't stop people from saying on the streets what 'hockeytown' really is. The point is, though, we never really crowned ourselves the best city for hockey, it was just a marketing gimmick. thats it. and now, for whatever reason, people are trying to take our gimmick away, as if it was a title or something.

That just means that Minnesota can't officially use it for marketing. It doesn't stop people from saying on the streets what 'hockeytown' really is. The point is, though, we never really crowned ourselves the best city for hockey, it was just a marketing gimmick. thats it. and now, for whatever reason, people are trying to take our gimmick away, as if it was a title or something.

Well, someone said it earlier in the thread....how interesting that the marketing slogan was so damn successful people now think it's a title to be won or lost. It's a title, true enough, and there have always been pretenders and wanna-bes, but it's not going anywhere. Remember Raleigh calling themselves the New Hockeytown in 2002? Yeah, that lasted.

In another thread I wrote a whole blazing long list of stuff that makes the Wings elite. Soon as M-SP catches up to all that stuff, they can try and be Hockeytown. Til then, it has nothing to do with a couple hundred extra fannies in the seats. The proper response to someone else claiming they're now Hockeytown USA is to stick a Cup ring on each finger and laugh in their faces. Might be arrogant-sounding, but we didn't start it by making outrageous claims on someone else's marketing slogan.

betterRED, it bears repeating

Decade schmecade. More like two. Starting work on #3. Guess who won the Norris Division 20 years ago, in 1987-88?

Consider....

The Wings have appeared in the playoffs every year but one since 1987 and are working on a 16-season streak in that regard. That's six more than the #2 and #3 teams and 12 more than #4. This is the longest current streak of any North American team in any sport. No end in sight on that one.

3 Stanley Cups and 4 Finals appearances.

All-time record holder for points in a season.

5 President's Trophies. (No other team has won more than 2.)

13 division titles.

The Wings are the last team to successfully defend the Stanley Cup.

Mr. Hockey is a Red Wing. The Captain is a Red Wing. Just think about those nicknames for a minute and what they mean.

The Wings can claim a worldwide following of fans unmatched by any team in the league. And they have a tradition - Winged Wheel, legendary players, legendary names, the octopus, and 10 Cups - as great as any that can't even be considered by the vast majority of the league.

What this means is.....

[arrogance]

The Red Wings are the premier hockey club in the entire world. Period. And they play, right here, in our own city of Detroit. Not New York, or Toronto, or Paris, London, Moscow or Rome. It's why we are Hockeytown, and the rest of the world is not. Doesn't have anything to do with having 90% capacity instead of 100% at the arena.

[/arrogance]

It's nice to reflect on that every once in a while for some perspective, especially before bitching OMG why aren't the line combos different?

i don't think anyone can say it better than that. :clap:

As much as I love and support the Wings, its hard to still consider this "Hockeytown" when the Joe is only 2/3 full every night and the loudest part of the game is when Mo Cheese gets up and dances around. Say what you will about the economy or whatever--- the Pistons sell out every night, and their tickets and concessions are on average higher than the Wings.

As much as I love and support the Wings, its hard to still consider this "Hockeytown" when the Joe is only 2/3 full every night and the loudest part of the game is when Mo Cheese gets up and dances around. Say what you will about the economy or whatever--- the Pistons sell out every night, and their tickets and concessions are on average higher than the Wings.

Two questions

1. When was the last time Red Wings gave out multiple prizes evey game that dropped from the roof?

2. Why is the cheapest ticket for a Pistons game $10 and the cheapest one for the Red Wings is $22?

the Pistons sell out every night, and their tickets and concessions are on average higher than the Wings.

Ah, but this is changing, too. The Pistons got good more recently, so they're a little late to the dance, but they're showing up. There are scores of empty seats at The Palace and they're piping in more artificial noise to compensate. The sellout streak is going to end, if not this season, then next. Season ticket holders are deciding they can't/don't want to make that kind of financial commitment during these tough times. It will happen to the Tigers, too, eventually (though not right away, they arrived on the scene as a good team just last year).

That is true. I was shocked to see a lot of empty seats for the Bulls game when I flipped over during the Wings intermissions.

Edited by Jwo

Again: Hockeytown isn't about 90% attendance at the arena instead of 100%. It's about everything the Wings have accomplished.

And if Pistons' tickets do in fact cost more on average than the Wings (I'll take your word for it because I don't feel like looking it up) it's skewed by the courtside seats that sit on top of where the rink would be. God those things are expensive. You get food service right there at your seat off a menu like you were at a restaurant. Plus the Palace has more suites and boxes.

All about location... Auburn hills is surrounded by the elite in soci-economic living conditions :D aka upper class.

Not to mention... Red Wings are Hockey... not the biggest draw in the USA let alone Detroit... Home of the LIONS!!!!

Edited by OsGOD

I'm tired of this crap, people (especially SI) are taking this way too seriously, its not like we were bestowed this fabulous honor by the hockey gods them selfs when Mr. I climbed atop the highest peak in the Detroit metro area and was given this title on the agreement that he must fill every seat filled for the rest of time.

NOPE!!

Some advertising agency thought this beauty up one day in a meeting. This isn't Sports Illustrated's title to hand out on their every whim. Its a slogan, thats all folks. SI can give it away to who ever they want, it doesn't matter, until Illitch holdings is done with it Detroit will be Hockeytown, whether SI likes it or not.

That was about a four-page article in the magazine. While it doesn't have a nice article about hockey in every issue, like it should during the NHL season, I bet hockey gets more ink in SI than ESPN the Magazine. It's not a dig, just saying that I enjoyed so much space about hockey. Again good article, but I don't agree with the conclusion.

uh huh,...until the wild start to suck and no one cares.

For reference, during a time that in the Wild's history that saw the following:

- Wild miss playoffs 4 out of 6 seasons

- Twins win 4 division titles, 6 winning seasons, with the only non-winning season having a record of 79-83

- Timberwolves have 6 straight seasons of 44 or more wins last 2 haven't been good though...

So, during that period, the Wild have sold out every game.

i also dont really agree that the wings arent the favorite team in detroit, and the article doesnt really say the decline in attendance is because most of the fans are blue collar workers and they had to take a lot of pay cuts/ a lot got fired

Well said :clap:

Here is a little tid bit in the state of Michigan in youth hockey the past 2 years there have been 842 teams that have folded the ave. team size is 15 skaters that is about 12630 kids not playing becuase of the economy. Hockeytown is a fan base not a place, Detroit still has the largest fan base in the US.

For reference, during a time that in the Wild's history that saw the following:

- Wild miss playoffs 4 out of 6 seasons

- Twins win 4 division titles, 6 winning seasons, with the only non-winning season having a record of 79-83

- Timberwolves have 6 straight seasons of 44 or more wins last 2 haven't been good though...

So, during that period, the Wild have sold out every game.

So what do you think that becuase the there are some empty seats at the Joe that the Wings fan base has fallen off

no way never will happen, the economy in MI is in horrible shape unemployment is 7% the highest in the nation alot of peolple cannt afford to go to JLA and spend $300 , and that is on the low side.

Wings missed playoffs once since 1987, won 3 Stanley Cups,1 finals apperance,6 conf. finals

apperances, lost count of Presidents trophies, (10 Stanley Cups total)

Tigers turn it around make World sereies apperance

Pistons NBA Champs, 5 conferance final apperances, and a NBA finals apperance

LIONS were still waiting have pitty on us

threw most of this time the Wings still sold out 90% of there games

So what do you think that becuase the there are some empty seats at the Joe that the Wings fan base has fallen off

no way never will happen, the economy in MI is in horrible shape unemployment is 7% the highest in the nation alot of peolple cannt afford to go to JLA and spend $300 , and that is on the low side.

Can't say it enough ^^ what he said!

people not currently living in michigan (or at least haven't been for 5 or so years) should not be afforded the right to ***** and moan about selling out or seats being filled.... and especially not to equate that one2one to a lack of fan base...

The people actually living in and around Detroit are the ones complaining about the economy and lack of jobs and paying so much ot have to attend the games. Who has the real answers... the out of towners (who say its lack of fan base) or the people actually living in the damn state (talking about economic shortfalls and lack of reducution in ticket prices)? To me it obvious... those actually involved in the situation have the best answers.

IDK... pet peeve of mine i guess. PUT UP OR SHUT UP... always said it ALWAYS will... don't ***** unless you personally plan on attending a game or two or 40... if not then Shut It!

Edited by OsGOD

Wings missed playoffs once since 1987, won 3 Stanley Cups,1 finals apperance,6 conf. finals

apperances, lost count of Presidents trophies, (10 Stanley Cups total)

Tigers turn it around make World sereies apperance

Pistons NBA Champs, 5 conferance final apperances, and a NBA finals apperance

LIONS were still waiting have pitty on us

threw most of this time the Wings still sold out 90% of there games

I made no comments suggesting St. Paul should be hockeytown over Detroit or anything at all about Detroit for that matter.

Someone commented "let's see what happens when the team sucks" or "when other teams in the area win" - I was simply commenting on the fact that the Wild have been pretty bad pretty much all the time and the other teams in the city have had quite a bit of success and they have still been selling out. So the previous comments didn't make sense to me. This has absolutely nothing to do with how I feel about Detroit.

uh huh,...until the wild start to suck and no one cares.

After already losing a franchise, the people here in Minnesota will ALWAYS care about the Wild.

Hm...I hate to get involved in this, because it's pretty stupid, but I do have one question:

How does a city/state with a historically mediocre hockey team (and an inability to KEEP a hockey team), with no storied past (what, the North Stars?) suddenly become Hockeytown, not to mention, take that "title" away from a town with a consistently AMAZING hockey team, a great following, and a long, long, storied past that chronicles the rise of the NHL itself? Oh, because they're not selling out every game this season? Holy crap, people knew that couldn't carry on forever.

Minnesota is the State of Hockey, it only makes sense that Hockeytown is located in the State of Hockey.

No storied past? The North Stars consistently made that playoffs and had some great players. The team leaving Minnesota had nothing to do with fan support or on the ice product. It was motivated, as many hockey moves are, by greed and shortsightedness of ownership. Now the Minnesota Wild have arguably the best arena and devoted followers who get that place rocking night in and night out. The atmosphere in the arena and around St. Paul on game day is amazing. You don't know what hockey means to Minnesota until you have lived here. Yes, Detroit may be deemed Hockeytown due to marketing, but that does not mean that it is true. Minnesotans have a passion and pride for hockey and if asked who is Hockeytown, no doubt will they say St. Paul.

I don't know if what i'm about to say goes along with the topic, but i'll try to make it. The Wild are being dubbed hockeytown by some person or people. They might be filling more seats in Minn., but if you take to account all of us Wings fan around the nation, I bet with visiting attendance of arenas we out number the Wild by far. So if they want to be called hockeytown then I suggest we call ourselves Hockeynation.

IDK... pet peeve of mine i guess. PUT UP OR SHUT UP... always said it ALWAYS will... don't ***** unless you personally plan on attending a game or two or 40... if not then Shut It!

As far as that goes, I can only go to two games a year(w/o traveling). But I am going to the game on Dec 27th against the Avs. I can't freaking wait. I hope I can get a LETS GO RED WINGS chant going.

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

They might be filling more seats in Minn., but if you take to account all of us Wings fan around the nation, I bet with visiting attendance of arenas we out number the Wild by far. So if they want to be called hockeytown then I suggest we call ourselves Hockeynation.

Sounds good and definitely true. Even at Wings-Wild games there are a few hundred Red Wings fans in attendance. :thumbup:

Also in Minneapolis - St. Paul's defense, many fans are stuck in the middle.

Those North Stars did, as Clarke suggested, have attendance problems -- but those were precipitated in large part by an ownership that alienated the fan base. The team played its games in Bloomington, and Green complained bitterly about not being able to play in downtown Minneapolis at the Target Center. Fans were also put off by a high profile sexual harassment suit that Green ended up settling out of court.

Many hockey fans say the same thing about Atlanta losing the Flames.

Would attend more games if I didn't have to drive 350 miles 1 way (700 roundtrip) :(

But hey - each time in the Motor City is a blast :thumbup:

So i take it this past weekend was a blast too!!! Sweet. Hopefully you were able to get around to all the places to you were wanting to go to while here also :)

Just because we've been having low attendence doesn't mean we aren't hockeytown anymore. Why must people keep trying to rip away our title!! This REALLY burns me to no end! Until they rip the hockeytown logo from the ice at the Joe no one can be called it! These people must be tired of Detroit being hockeytown or something. Or have too much time on their hands!

grrrrrrrrrr!