• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

auxlepli

Boston is not a hockey town

Rate this topic

Not only did we get 10 inches of snow, it started falling at about 1:30 when everyone was at work, getting home in Boston traffic must have been ridiculous!

On the broadcast they went over the NHL weather Delay policy, get this. It is all dependent on the road team. The Bruins got back in town late last night or early this morning. BUT... Had they been stuck in a snow storm and not made it to the arena, from what the reporters read during the broadcast, the game would have still been schedule to go on. Again according to what the announcers read: If the road team is in town before the storm has started and the team bus can make it from the Hotel to the arena, then the game is to be played. I wonder what they would do if the home team was stranded, seeing as it was the B's who were in the second of a back to back?

I am sure the league would postpone a game if that happened but as written it is just concerned with the road team.

Edit: Also I know you were kidding but hockey is Huge around here. Don't believe me, show up to the Garden for the Bean Pot Tourney, or the Hockey East Tourney. I used to go to the HE tourney every year, now you are lucky if you can get tickets. Usually you have to be an alumni or know someone. Bean Pot is a massive event here every year. And when the Frozen Four was played here it was ridiculous!

Again I know you were just kidding but Hockey is really big around these parts!

Edited by Opie

Only about 1,500 attended tonight's game!

:angry:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nhl/gamecenter/r...20071213_NJ@BOS

Time to contract an O6 team. So Boston received a little snow that kept fans away. Whatever. If they were a real hockey town the fans would've braved that snow. It shouldn't keep real fans away.

IPB Image

THis doesn't help the case that Detroit should be Hockeytown either :huh:

SE Lower Michigan (aka location of "hockeytown") shuts down with a 1/2" inch of snow and all major expressways are backed up with moronic drivers causing moronic accidents.

My sister-in-law lives oustide of Boston and she was in the city yesterday before the snow hit. She left early, but it was so bad that she had my wife find a hotel near her location and it took 5 hours to get to the hotel. I'm sure part of that is due to inexperience in snow (she just moved to MA) but surely it relates the trouble the entire city was experiencing.

Also, one of my clients at work is located in Boston and they left early in the day to avoid getting slammed by the snow.

In the six years I've lived in Boston I've never seen a storm cripple the city as this storm did. I'm actually surprised that many fans showed up to the game. The city streets and highways were parking lots. It took several of my friends 7 plus hours to get home from work from what would normally be a 30-40 minute commute. The attendance had everything to do with the storm and nothing to do with the fans.

In the six years I've lived in Boston I've never seen a storm cripple the city as this storm did. I'm actually surprised that many fans showed up to the game. The city streets and highways were parking lots. It took several of my friends 7 plus hours to get home from work from what would normally be a 30-40 minute commute. The attendance had everything to do with the storm and nothing to do with the fans.

Are you going to the wings game on Feb 2?

no way is mass a bigger hockey state, look at the NHL majority of players from america is from Michigan, on top of that look at how many players have gone to college and most went to michigan. With that being said Red Wings fans really have no right to talk about a team not filling a building

no way is mass a bigger hockey state, look at the NHL majority of players from america is from Michigan, on top of that look at how many players have gone to college and most went to michigan. With that being said Red Wings fans really have no right to talk about a team not filling a building

Some of what you are saying may be true, but I'm not sure how relevant it is. I don't think you can statistically show what state is the biggest hockey state. For the record, I think there are more NHLers that came from Boston University than those that came from Michigan (either way, it is probably pretty close).

In terms of players in the NHL:

MI - 23

MN - 22

NY - 18

MA - 12

Not exactly staggering stats. Compare these numbers to the 140 players from Ontario.

Some of what you are saying may be true, but I'm not sure how relevant it is. I don't think you can statistically show what state is the biggest hockey state.

#1 Alaska: 571,951 sq mi

#2 Texas: 261,797 sq mi

#3 California: 155,959 sq mi

#4 Montana: 145,552 sq mi

#5 New Mexico: 121,356 sq mi

Guest jaytan

That city has terrible traffic. I imagine a bad snowstorm would prevent a lot of people from getting to the arena. I don't know many people who would put up with hours of hassle just to get to a regular-season hockey game.

Plus, every a-hole in Massachusetts with enough money to afford to plays hockey. I think it's safe to say Boston is a good hockey town.

Some of what you are saying may be true, but I'm not sure how relevant it is. I don't think you can statistically show what state is the biggest hockey state. For the record, I think there are more NHLers that came from Boston University than those that came from Michigan (either way, it is probably pretty close).

In terms of players in the NHL:

MI - 23

MN - 22

NY - 18

MA - 12

Not exactly staggering stats. Compare these numbers to the 140 players from Ontario.

Using those stats, here's how those four states ranks:

1. Minnesota (one out of every 234,868 people is in the NHL :lol: )

2. Michigan (438,941)

3. Mass (536,432)

4. New York (1,072,565)

And Ontario? One out of every 91,456 people.

Where did you look up the number of NHL players from each state or province, anyway? As a quick guess, I'd say Ontario has the most and Alberta has the best quality.