• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGuns1340

Another reason for poor Wings attendance?

Rate this topic

Two things got me thinking about this. First of all, there were a ton of Wings fans in the crowd at the Avs game tonight. We all know the Avs have a pretty nice following, yet there were still a ton of Wings fans filling up Colorado's seats tonight. That, and there was an article in the the newspaper today about how Michigan was one of two states in the entire U.S. to lose population over the past year (the other state being Rhode Island). According to the csensus, Michigan lost 30,500 people - enough people to fill 1.5 Joe Louis Arenas. And this is just another consecutive population loss for Detroit.

So I guess Im just posting this so I could vent. It always pissed me the hell off that people use fan attendance at games to some how make it out that the Red Wings dont have fans, yet they clearly do, only in a more dispersed fashion. If you were to look at the fact that Michigan has lost a pretty decent bit of their population...and then you have Wings fans continually showing up in the Avs, Ducks, Yotes, Kings, Jackets, Hawks and others arenas, its easy to see that the Wings havent lost any fans, theyve just relocated to places where they cant attend regular games. If you consider that Michigan has been losing some population for years, combined with all the other economic reasons that have been used to defend Detroits attendance, it makes a great deal of sense.

Attendance alot of places has been down. I've been to several Avs games this year and nearly a third of the seats are empty. Packed tonight because of displaced Wings' fans.

30,500 is really not that much for Metro Detroit - especially considering the hard economic times. You ought to laugh at people that say Wings' fans don't have a following - we make a solid showing at every arena the team plays at - in fact I would argue best in the league.

Hockey ticket prices are a bit overprice in general imo. I would much rather go to a hockey game - but it makes not sense to me that I can pay less to see a MLB or NBA game - at least here in Denver.

Don't take it so personally - the Wings have great fans and attendance will sort itself out eventually....

Funny thing is that's 30,000+ even with all the babies being born. After doing some troiling at other sites I've come to the conclusion that there's only one reason attendence is down. Gary (I suck ) Bettass. Other then most sites haveing the "Why we hate the red wings" thread. The most thread you see is FIRE BETTMEN

I wonder why hockey fans are so depressed? I think it's an attitude problem. Hockey is great, and NHL hockey is the best. There's none better. There's not a sport that's better. There are lots of talented young players who are exciting to watch. This is an exciting time to be a hockey fan; we should all be thankful.

I agree that gary has done a s***ty job of selling this great game that we all love. I think that the attendence issue in detroit has more to do with are wonderful economy here in michigan and also to do with the fact that still so manny seats are corporate owned and they just don't get used.

For me i fall into the fact that i just can't afford to go to the games. Parking has gone up, it cost an arm in a leg to get a slice and pop. On top of it, if i'm going to try and go to a game i would much rather pay a little bit more to be in the lower bowl then paying the price to be up in the second level.

I do agree that we have the most fans in the NHL. Every time we are on the road you see tons of wings jerseys in the crowd. We are loyal fans that love to see our team play and i think that we enjoy going in the enimies barn to stir things up a bit. I have to games in CHI and Washingting, at both places i have met some great people and we rib one another during the games. It's a great time. As for fans that come to detroit to see a game, well they tend to be jerks from my experince. The leafs fans seem to be the worse and i wish that we would kick anyone with a leafs sweater on out of the Joe.

I can think of a few cities where Red Wings fans will have a hard time getting tix:

Calgary

Edmonton

Montreal

Toronto

Ottawa

Vancouver

Philadelphia

NY Rangers

Other than those locations, members of the Red Wing Nation and the Michigan Diaspora represent pretty well. BTW...there's a reason why I listed every Canadian market. The Wings are not that popular north of the border. Respected but not well liked. Second, Canadians love their damn hockey and they will pay up for tickets--even if they are broke and starving. Third, I don't see many Michiganders getting work visas in Canada. Plus in America, people have a myriad of sports entertainment options during the fall and winter months.

Philly and New York sports fans are the most passionate about their local teams. Wings fans would typically get a very rude welcome. A few F bombs directed at you, a beer bath, sexual accosting of your girlfriend/wife and physical threats will prevent any Wings fan from entering Wachovia Center or MSG. Trust me, you won't see much Red or Winged Wheel jerseys in Philly or NYC. And Philly is worse than NYC! I always tell East Coast Wings fans to visit safer locations such as the Washington Capitals, Carolina Hurricanes, Pittsburgh Penguins, or New Jersey (relatively speaking).

Attendance alot of places has been down. I've been to several Avs games this year and nearly a third of the seats are empty. Packed tonight because of displaced Wings' fans.

I've noticed that too. Attendance is down around the League. I've read articles about Dallas, Columbus, and Colorado (as you mentioned) having a drop off of ticket sales. Along with Detroit, those are some important Markets in the USA.

With what's going on: Salary cap, bad rule changes, a lot of top guys in bad markets, etc. I don't blame fans for staying away.

That, and there was an article in the the newspaper today about how Michigan was one of two states in the entire U.S. to lose population over the past year (the other state being Rhode Island).

Ouch, how many people did Rhode Island lose? They don't have many to begin with.

With what's going on: Salary cap, bad rule changes, a lot of top guys in bad markets, etc. I don't blame fans for staying away.

Schedule, schedule, schedule! Avs were packed for Penguins, Flyers, Wings. Go back to all teams playing each other at least once a year - the regional BS does nothing for attendance. Want to showcase your young stars like every other league? Have them play in all the buildings/markets. Who wants to see the Wild four time a year in your building, or the Jackets in the case of the Wings? Scratch two of those games and bring in some other teams....doesn't take a genious - earth to Bettman!

Philly and New York sports fans are the most passionate about their local teams. Wings fans would typically get a very rude welcome. A few F bombs directed at you, a beer bath, sexual accosting of your girlfriend/wife and physical threats will prevent any Wings fan from entering Wachovia Center or MSG. Trust me, you won't see much Red or Winged Wheel jerseys in Philly or NYC.

I've worn my Winged Wheel with pride at the Wachovia (once) and the Spectrum 3 or 4 times. I got a few f-bombs, but after they realized I was a Wings fan and not a front-runner, they backed off. One dude actually bought me a beer after the game because the Wings outplayed the Flyers.

We're not the Cowboys, for christ's sake.

30,500 represents like .3% of the entire population of the state.

People need to get past the excuses and just come to grips with the fact that hockey in Detroit just isnt as special as it used to be- and the product in the arenas across the country just isnt THAT entertaining.

Its a great sport, but its a niche sport. Embrace whats good about it and quit trying to extend the sport to markets and people that arent your base.

Edited by Mark THS

30,500 represents like .3% of the entire population of the state.

People need to get past the excuses and just come to grips with the fact that hockey in Detroit just isnt as special as it used to be- and the product in the arenas across the country just isnt THAT entertaining.

Its a great sport, but its a niche sport. Embrace whats good about it and quit trying to extend the sport to markets and people that arent your base.

Um, no.

Sure, the majority of America will not love the NHL. Still, there is a massive economic hurt happening in the greater Detroit area. That hurts tix sales. I want to see how the $9 tix campaign works out.

PS- Detroit IS the base for hockey in the US (or at least, one of the biggest...). Unless you want to play that Minnesota Mild "state of hockey" crap on us...

There are several factors for the non-sellout nights at the Joe. The economy is a factor, but history has shown that entertainment is one area that people continue to spend their money on, even when times are tough.

The biggest factor is the one that seems to be overlooked the most. Maybe it is because people think the fans have gotten over it or that they think there are bigger reasons, but i think the full result of the lockout is finally begining to be felt. There wasn't a group of fans that were affected in a more negative way or had more to lose than those of the Red Wings. Frankly, the NHL should be thankful for every wings fan that still attends the games.

Big Reasons for hockeys lack of attendance

1- Michigans economy is in the pooper, not many folks can afford it

2- Tickets are frikin expensive

3- Lockout killed hockey as we know it for the most part

4- Bettman hasnt got the kawk outtta hit butt yet/

Might be a stupid question, but would you all say this is going to reduce ticket prices in the near future?

That'd be the only upside of the issue, but I'd never want the reason to be a declining fan-base. :(

I've been to a handful of Ducks games this year and they aren't filling the place either.

shooockinngg.

maybe you should go help round up the 14,000 fans who went to the Ducks Stanley Cup gathering last summer...

that might help.

how much are tix anyways??? i bett i dosent come close to 100$(if ur lucky) a tix at nucks game. And thats for the nosebleed sec.

They have $9 seats in the last two rows.

The Joe is starting to revert back to 80's tactics to attract fans.

- $1 hot dog game days

- Giving away cars at the end of the year (for now)

- Cheap game packages (as Wings tickets go)

- College hockey at the Joe with a Wings ticket packages

- Wings are actually advertising. Anybody remember the last season you saw a commecial for Wings games?

- Radio says "Still good tickets for tonight's game" all the time.

I remember going down to Cobo Joes and people would get into a bidding war over extra tickets.

Now there are tickets all over the place! Normally $20-$40 below face value

You tell the scalper what your going to pay..or just walk down to the next guy.

It's not just the Wings Pistons are not selling out either.

Economy blows! I own a business in this state I know first hand.

I am very surprised the Tigers are selling out, but then again you can take the entire family unit down to the park for $100.

Hockey is not a poor man's sport.

GO WINGS!!! :thumbup:

Ugh! First of all if you're not from Michigan please do not respond to this thread. You may be having problems where you live, but you don't live here so you have no idea what's going on. Second please do a search and read the other billion threads on this topic. But we can do it again if you so wish to read:

1. Tigers = Summer, kids are out of school and don't have to get up the following day.

2. Players, sad to say it but the guys we have know are more exciting to watch then Yzer. & Shanny.

3. Economy, Hell yes! No money, gas above $3, tix expensive.

4. Please don't jump all over me for this, Detroit is a black town, black people (most) don't like hockey & don't watch hockey. (Baseball, football, & Basketball) So most fans have to drive to detroit to see games (See gas price) Becareful what you wish for in a new arena if Illitch wants to sell the game out he could move it to were the fans are aka the burbs.

5. Football is done lets see what happens the rest of the year.