• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mule39

McCarty close to signing with Generals

Rate this topic

...while I agree with you about the past being the past (exception Fedorov) I can remember even back in the 90's when McCarty looked like he didn't belong in the NHL, until the playoffs started that is. It always seemed that he and Maltby, while pretty quiet during the season, lit it up at the right times during the playoffs. I'd take him back for depth and playoff experience. I seem to remember back in 1997 when Joe Kocur was playing in adult leagues and a similar discussion was going on when the Wings talked about possibly siging him for depth, well look how well he worked out not on;y in 97, but 98 also. For the right price, lets say league minimum, he'd might be worth the signing poor Mark Hartigan would be sent back down but he'd be back again...

You people seem to forget that D Mac was a big time party boy, in Detroit and in Calgary. That takes its toll on the body. As for Fedorov, not sure if they want to bring in a personality like that into their locker room. Teams hardly trade within their division at the deadline, and when Kenny Holland comes calling the price goes up. If they only gave up a 3rd or 4th rounder for Feds (wishful thinking) then sure.... But to give up higher than that, or one of our top prospects....No way.

And Darren agrees. About a week before he signed with the Flames, he wrote a goodbye letter to the fans in either the Detroit News or the Free Press. And he came right out and said no matter what he will always be a Red Wing. Pretty special thing to hear in sports these days. I will always root on Mac as long as he keeps playing. And i'll always keep my signed McCarty plaque up on the wall. And I just may find myself at the IMA here and there. I wouldn't mind drinking a few brews and watching an old friend play some hockey. :)

Ah yes, I stil have my Darren McCarty plaque on my wall. My wall collage of him has been down for a few years but the plaque will remain a reminder as one of the best pair of fists Detroit has seen :)

$9 at the Joe with a $1 hot dog! :thumbup:

lol yeah, but you wouldn't be able to buy your tickets right before the game and still sit 4 rows from the ice like I would ^_^

(not knocking the ticket price/the joe/the wings at all, just had to say that though :P )

Edited by Swayze

Ah yes, I stil have my Darren McCarty plaque on my wall. My wall collage of him has been down for a few years but the plaque will remain a reminder as one of the best pair of fists Detroit has seen :)

:brow: By best you mean at most #3 or 4 on the list right? Behind Probert, Kocur, and possibly Grimson yeah?

Back to youtube to remember the good times :bye2:

Have you not see his play post lock-out? Or is it that your soooo hoping that it's 1997 all over again? There are reasons that he was bought out of his contract by Detroit. There are reasons that he wasn't resigned by the Flames. There are reasons that he has struggled since the lockout.

It's great that he's playing hockey again (for him to earn a living) but to hand him a roster spot because he's going to attempt a comeback in a league that's auguably three teirs below the NHL??? Even worse before he's even played a game this year?

If this was any other 35 year old player he would be getting crucified for not hanging them up and playing past his prime.

QFT.

It amazes me that on a board that generally wants younger and faster players, considers prospects like Hudler and Fillipula untouchable, criticizes Holland and Ilitch for hanging onto players for sentimental reasons, and complains that the Wings like to sign old guys; would want McCarty back.

Actually, it doesn't amaze me.

If Holland signed another 35 year old who wasn't resigned by his former team, has nagging injury problems, had his highest point totals almost 10 years ago, has plenty of off the ice problems/distractions, and isn't close to being the player he used to be; this place would go into meltdown mode.

It's Dmac we are talking about.

He will be a wing again one way or another.. He will most likely just OFF kopecky, hop into his jersey before game. he gets 3 fights, wins them all in bloody fashion, gets a double hattrick and 6 more assists. then at the end. He pretends he is hulk hogan, rips the kopecky jersey off and there it is.. number 25 in his glory.. Kenny throws him a contract he signs it on the ice.. and we win lord stanleys cup. and Dmac is carried of the ice as if he was the king of nargnia

:brow: By best you mean at most #3 or 4 on the list right? Behind Probert, Kocur, and possibly Grimson yeah? Back to youtube to remember the good times :bye2:

?! Probert...ok....Kocur....you have a point, but Grimson?! Your reaching with that one. Darren could scrap with the best of them and, he could play 10-15minutes a night. No he didn't have the best offensive touch but he was a hell of a checker.

I would love to see him in the winges wheel again, but i dont think it will ever happen.

that being said, I wouldn't mind seing him replace drake.

?! Probert...ok....Kocur....you have a point, but Grimson?! Your reaching with that one. Darren could scrap with the best of them and, he could play 10-15minutes a night. No he didn't have the best offensive touch but he was a hell of a checker.

Thats a tough call, but I'll say no to Grimson only based on the fact that the Reaper didnt hit his peak imo till a year later when he joined Hartford. I'd lean towards a young McCarty vs the Grimson of 94-96. However, if we were just going prime McCarty vs prime Grimson when both were at their best, i'd have to say Grimson. Lets keep in mind though, that when McCarty hit his prime as a player he hardly scrapped with the best of them. He mostly stuck to fighting light heavies.

I love how this has turned into a fight thread all of a sudden. Grimson didn't reach his peak until about '97 or '98, but even when he was in Detroit, I'd take him over McCarty. Grimson had enormous reach and great power. Yeah, he had some bad losses here and there, and his balance sucked at times, but I can't put Mac in his class.

Yeah but I was refering to the best fighters ever to wear the winged wheel. Nothing about checking, offense, or defense just fighting. So, yeah, he's #4 on my list of wings I can remember right now for fighting skills.

He was a good/decent light-heavy that followed the a-typical fight life cycle who immortalized himself by turtling Lemiux.

I love how this has turned into a fight thread all of a sudden. Grimson didn't reach his peak until about '97 or '98, but even when he was in Detroit, I'd take him over McCarty. Grimson had enormous reach and great power. Yeah, he had some bad losses here and there, and his balance sucked at times, but I can't put Mac in his class.

Sniff about a fight and the subject comes up :hehe:

Hopefully he'll just get his act back together, whether it's in Detroit or somewhere else.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but IF he truly rededicates himself to hockey, IF he gets his life together, IF he actually is healthy, then I could see him back in the Winged Wheel, taking the spot of someone like Drake.

As the article mentioned, Joey Kocur was playing beer league hockey, then came back to the Wings to win a Cup. Stranger things have happened.

Yeah, at 6'5" and 230 lbs. I think of Grimson as a true heavyweight. Mac I always considered more of a light heavyweight. He could hold his own with the big boys, but I didn't expect him to win them.

As an all around player, I'd take McCarty in his prime, as he had a lot more to contribute to the team than Grimson could.

You people seem to forget that D Mac was a big time party boy, in Detroit and in Calgary. That takes its toll on the body. As for Fedorov, not sure if they want to bring in a personality like that into their locker room. Teams hardly trade within their division at the deadline, and when Kenny Holland comes calling the price goes up. If they only gave up a 3rd or 4th rounder for Feds (wishful thinking) then sure.... But to give up higher than that, or one of our top prospects....No way.

This is a great point. While Kocur was in beer leagues he was still a clean living guy. He wasn't snorting or boozing with a loser band watching all of his talents and money flush down the toilet.

As long as Mac is still associated with Grinder I don't want him anywhere near the Wings dressing room. The guy is still an alcoholic and drug user.

Now, if he cleans up his act, and drops ties with these losers he's been making 'music' with, then I'll be the first in line to wish him good luck. I hope for the best for his kids sake.

But the last time we saw Mac he was still supporting that band of drugged up losers. Not a good sign for someone that's a recovering alcholic and trying to get his career back on track.

thanks for the article, i really liked to hear that draper is helping him all he can and that mccarty hasnt missed a single workout in a month

Well isn't that special...if I don't miss a workout for a month, can I suit up for the Wings too?

Come on, people - think with your heads, not your hearts. If this guy was anyone other than Darren McCarty, you'd all be screaming for Ken Holland to stay far away from him, and if by some brain fart Holland did sign him, you'd all be calling for Holland's head on a platter.

Look at the facts - take Mac's name away from everything and just look at the hard facts and ask yourselves, would you sign this player?

35 years old at start of 2007-08 season

2005-06 season

Regular Season - 43 games, 6 goals, 5 assists, 11 points, 117 PIM's

Playoffs - 7 games, 2 goals, 0 assists, 2 points, 15 PIM's

He was limited to 43 games due to injuries

2006-07 Season

Regular Season - 32 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 50 PIM's

No playoffs - his team made the playoffs but he did not play

He was limited to 32 games due to injuries

2006-07 Salary - $800,000

This player is (was) a more physical type of player, but not so much in the last few years. He has lost quite a few "steps." He's known as a good team guy, however, and fans love him wherever he goes. It is uncertain whether he can still perform at the NHL level any longer, however, and he has become quite injury prone in the last few years. Injuries have included hernias (which required surgery) and groin injuries.

Would I sign him? No way in hell. Not when I have similar type players who are younger, cheaper, more productive and not injury prone.

Edited by Yzermania19

Sure, be all analytical if you must.

But you see, I don't want to keep my emotions or my "heart" out of it. If you do not have your heart in it, then why bother?

Hockey is an emotional game.

Hockey fans are emotional beings.

:brow: By best you mean at most #3 or 4 on the list right? Behind Probert, Kocur, and possibly Grimson yeah?

Back to youtube to remember the good times :bye2:

That is why I put 'one' of the best, not 'the' best. :)