• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sebastian

Jordin Tootoo

Rate this topic

Hey StormJH1.... are you living 5 years in the past when he had that reputation or are we talking about the same Tootoo that outscored everyone in the wings bottom 6 last year?

He put up more points than anyone in the wings bottom 6 last year, is arguably the hardest hitting forward in the league and one of the top middleweight fighters. Care to explain how any AHLer could come in and replace what he provides because it sounds more to me like you dont know what youre talking about

Hey StormJH1.... are you living 5 years in the past when he had that reputation or are we talking about the same Tootoo that outscored everyone in the wings bottom 6 last year?

He put up more points than anyone in the wings bottom 6 last year, is arguably the hardest hitting forward in the league and one of the top middleweight fighters. Care to explain how any AHLer could come in and replace what he provides because it sounds more to me like you dont know what youre talking about

he didn't outscore Cleary

Guest Johnz96

Wondering if we'll see him drop the gloves tonight - team is on a losing skid, he's not fought for a few games, he might feel the need to provide a spark.

Weber?

Wow. So much to take in there. If you really think Tootoo is the "hardest hitting forward in the league", or "one of the top middleweight" fighters, I need you to take an elementary physics class and then maybe we can talk. I suppose you also think that Cal Clutterbuck is an "elite power forward" because he leads the league in "hits" every year.

A "hit" is supposed to be scored as initiating physical contact that dislodges the puck from the puck carrier. Guys like Tootoo and Clutterbuck throw themselves around and look good on TV to fans raised on "Slap Shot", but running guys behind the play is gratuitous and really pretty irrelevant to the scoreboard. Yes, it makes the fans in the arena go "ooh" and "ahh", the same way people gasp when a runaway car drives through a farmer's market.

Tootoo had 6 goals in 77 games last year and was a HEALTHY SCRATCH in the Playoffs. Prior to last season, he never had more than TWELVE assists in an NHL season. Go look at the list of guys that had more goals than him from the 2011-12, and that $1.9 million AAC starts to make you feel sick a little. We didn't need THIS guy to have a tough hockey team. Pre-staged fights by a guy who was brought in to be a circus act to improve team morale, and he isn't even in the right "weight class" to fight anyone of significance.

I can't argue with people about "my hockey knowledge" when the person telling me I'm an idiot would rather watch fighting and general douchebaggery than the actual sport of hockey.

Edited by StormJH1

Wow. So much to take in there. If you really think Tootoo is the "hardest hitting forward in the league", or "one of the top middleweight" fighters, I need you to take an elementary physics class and then maybe we can talk. I suppose you also think that Cal Clutterbuck is an "elite power forward" because he leads the league in "hits" every year.

A "hit" is supposed to be scored as initiating physical contact that dislodges the puck from the puck carrier. Guys like Tootoo and Clutterbuck throw themselves around and look good on TV to fans raised on "Slap Shot", but running guys behind the play is gratuitous and really pretty irrelevant to the scoreboard. Yes, it makes the fans in the arena go "ooh" and "ahh", the same way people gasp when a runaway car drives through a farmer's market.

Tootoo had 6 goals in 77 games last year and was a HEALTHY SCRATCH in the Playoffs. Prior to last season, he never had more than TWELVE assists in an NHL season. Go look at the list of guys that had more goals than him from the 2011-12, and that $1.9 million AAC starts to make you feel sick a little. We didn't need THIS guy to have a tough hockey team. Pre-staged fights by a guy who was brought in to be a circus act to improve team morale, and he isn't even in the right "weight class" to fight anyone of significance.

I can't argue with people about "my hockey knowledge" when the person telling me I'm an idiot would rather watch fighting and general douchebaggery than the actual sport of hockey.

I agree with your stance on Tootoo. Everything you said, I'll second. I can't believe he gets 1.9million a year.

I especially agree with the part in bold. Tootoo gets most of his hits seconds after the guy has already got rid of the puck. And they are almost never the heavy,"bone rattling" type.

If Tootoo does drop the gloves it will probally be against clune

Clune is wearing a shield to cover up stitches he got recently, he won't be fighting anyone any time soon

He didn't say Tootoo is the most frequent hitter or the best hitter he said he was one of the "hardest hitters". Tootoo absolutely fits that description, in one of the most recent player polls he was voted by the players as the 2nd hardest hitter in the league behind only Chara. Tootoo was the best signing the team made in the offseason and IMO he's been the best player in our bottom 6 so far as well.

The hit itself doesn't have to create the turnover. if in anticipation of the hit, a player makes a rushed inaccurate pass ending in a turnover the result is the same as if the hit caused the turnover..

Tootoo causes defenders to make plays far quicker than they want to, and is easily our best fore-checker. You may not like physical hockey but don't deny its effectiveness...just look at what almost every team does to the Wings defence.

Is 1.9 - or whatever it is - an overpayment? Yes. BUT, Tootoo gives us something we don't normally have (or, we've grown used to not having). And that something is, I think, reasonably important. And it may become even more important in the playoffs, assuming we make it that far. (We will.)

This has been Rationalizing With Dabura. I'm here all week. (Tip your waitress.)

Give me a list of the hardest hitting forwards in the league in your opinion. I disagree that Tootoo only finishes big hits behind the play, hes a consistent physical player on every shift hes out there but he also has the big hit potential which can mentally rattle a team by making them take penalties or have their defense nervous back there. I dont think Clutterbucks an elite power forward but hes one of the better hitting forwards in the league for sure.

You actually dont think a big hit can spark a teams momentum or have an effect on the other team?

Now give me a list of your top middleweight fighters. Tootoo is definitely top 5 in the NHL, arguably the best. If youre so sure then tell me who you think are way better... I'm sure your physics classes talked a lot about this so youll have an awesome list, maybe you'll get a stickerr for it.

Tootoo played 3 games against Detroit last year but he wasnt really needed because the team had enough toughness to beat Detroit and didnt have trust from Trotz after all he went through in Nashville. The last 3 or so years hes been on pace for about 30 points and last year he passed that number. Thats more than any player in the wings bottom 6 from last season while providing a physical edge and is a very good fighter.

So now if you dont want people questioning your hockey knowledge post your top 10 hitters in the NHL (hardest or best by your definition, either one) and lets see your top middleweight fighters. Oh and if you think Tootoo is just a guy fans raised on slap shot like than I guess Howard and Bert are big Slapshot fans, the effect of the crowd and momentum is a big dea in sports

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_jordin_tootoo_fires.html

Give me a list of the hardest hitting forwards in the league in your opinion. I disagree that Tootoo only finishes big hits behind the play, hes a consistent physical player on every shift hes out there but he also has the big hit potential which can mentally rattle a team by making them take penalties or have their defense nervous back there. I dont think Clutterbucks an elite power forward but hes one of the better hitting forwards in the league for sure.

You actually dont think a big hit can spark a teams momentum or have an effect on the other team?

Now give me a list of your top middleweight fighters. Tootoo is definitely top 5 in the NHL, arguably the best. If youre so sure then tell me who you think are way better... I'm sure your physics classes talked a lot about this so youll have an awesome list, maybe you'll get a stickerr for it.

Tootoo played 3 games against Detroit last year but he wasnt really needed because the team had enough toughness to beat Detroit and didnt have trust from Trotz after all he went through in Nashville. The last 3 or so years hes been on pace for about 30 points and last year he passed that number. Thats more than any player in the wings bottom 6 from last season while providing a physical edge and is a very good fighter.

So now if you dont want people questioning your hockey knowledge post your top 10 hitters in the NHL (hardest or best by your definition, either one) and lets see your top middleweight fighters. Oh and if you think Tootoo is just a guy fans raised on slap shot like than I guess Howard and Bert are big Slapshot fans, the effect of the crowd and momentum is a big dea in sports

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_jordin_tootoo_fires.html

I'm not going to keep going point-for-point with you on an argument that is subjective and cannot be won. Clutterbuck is as good as Tootoo (probably better), and that Wild team has been borderline terrible for his entire career. Of course momentum matters, and yes, a well-time hit, or a non-scripted fight can be a source of momentum. But they are not the ONLY sources of momentum. Some of the worst teams in hockey employ the best hitters and leaders in PIM/fighting majors, and it's been that way for years.

The fighting thing is a side show. You saw it again with Ken and Mickey last night. Ken (who I like as an announcer) saw Nik Kronwall get boarded and stagger off the ice with what looked like a possible concussion (turned out later he was okay, and Howard is apparently the one that is hurt). Ken seemed almost borderline excited that now Tootoo would have a reason to fight Rich Clune! As if a 45-second face smashing contest is a good trade-off for losing your best defenseman for a few games or weeks.

If you don't agree with me on the fighting thing, you probably won't agree with me on Tootoo either. But it's clear that:

(a) The presence of Tootoo didn't prevent Kronwall from being cheap-shotted in the first place, nor did it prevent Setoguchi from busting open Quincey's chin on Sunday (Setoguchi doesn't fight anyway), nor did Brad May (an actual heavyweight) prevent the rash of cheapshots and injuries that besieged the Wings after he was acquired in 2010.

(b) You can't spark anything from the bench, which is where Tootoo is for 52 out of 60 minutes every game

© Fighting as a reactive, symbolic gesture after somebody has already cheap-shotted your team feels good, but really doesn't impact short-term or long-term success of the team.

Tootoo played well yesterday, I'll give him that. The goal was lucky, but he had a great opportunity earlier where Rinne robbed him. He is on this team, and the Wings might as well play him if they're paying him. But he is a defensive liability, and I don't trust him long-term to avoid dumb penalties, which is what happened at the end of his Nashville run. He's also blocking the roster spot of a Griffins player that could potentially become a role player or Top 6 forward, which we're going to need a lot of in a big hurry with Cleary, Bertuzzi, Sammy, etc. aging fast.

I'm not going to keep going point-for-point with you on an argument that is subjective and cannot be won. Clutterbuck is as good as Tootoo (probably better), and that Wild team has been borderline terrible for his entire career. Of course momentum matters, and yes, a well-time hit, or a non-scripted fight can be a source of momentum. But they are not the ONLY sources of momentum. Some of the worst teams in hockey employ the best hitters and leaders in PIM/fighting majors, and it's been that way for years.

The fighting thing is a side show. You saw it again with Ken and Mickey last night. Ken (who I like as an announcer) saw Nik Kronwall get boarded and stagger off the ice with what looked like a possible concussion (turned out later he was okay, and Howard is apparently the one that is hurt). Ken seemed almost borderline excited that now Tootoo would have a reason to fight Rich Clune! As if a 45-second face smashing contest is a good trade-off for losing your best defenseman for a few games or weeks.

If you don't agree with me on the fighting thing, you probably won't agree with me on Tootoo either. But it's clear that:

(a) The presence of Tootoo didn't prevent Kronwall from being cheap-shotted in the first place, nor did it prevent Setoguchi from busting open Quincey's chin on Sunday (Setoguchi doesn't fight anyway), nor did Brad May (an actual heavyweight) prevent the rash of cheapshots and injuries that besieged the Wings after he was acquired in 2010.

(b) You can't spark anything from the bench, which is where Tootoo is for 52 out of 60 minutes every game

© Fighting as a reactive, symbolic gesture after somebody has already cheap-shotted your team feels good, but really doesn't impact short-term or long-term success of the team.

Tootoo played well yesterday, I'll give him that. The goal was lucky, but he had a great opportunity earlier where Rinne robbed him. He is on this team, and the Wings might as well play him if they're paying him. But he is a defensive liability, and I don't trust him long-term to avoid dumb penalties, which is what happened at the end of his Nashville run. He's also blocking the roster spot of a Griffins player that could potentially become a role player or Top 6 forward, which we're going to need a lot of in a big hurry with Cleary, Bertuzzi, Sammy, etc. aging fast.

So much hate without any logic. What a quality read. Really don't know how to reply to that so I'll just list some bullet points.

1) Tootoo is one of the best middleweight fighters in the league without a doubt. He's also one of the hardest hitters in the league, without a doubt. Anyone who knows their stuff on this subject, which judging by your post isn't you, will back this up. Tootoo was almost unanimously voted the best fighter under 6 foot recently on hockeyfights.com

2) You say he's a defensive liability yet he has the 8th highest +/- on the team and the most of anyone on the bottom 2 lines.

3) He has one minor penalty in 16 games. Your argument of dumb penalties is ridiculous.

4) You seem angry that Ken+Micky and 90% of hockey fans enjoy a good fight. Good. We do and don't care you don't.

5) You seem to be confusing Tootoo with an enforcer but clearly you're talking about a subject you know little about. Middleweights have not been, nor ever will be, enforcers.

Bored now.

Tootoo isnt a fourth line enforcer, hes a fourth line energy player that can swing momentum with a hit or a fight. He plays 9 minutes a night which is completely normal for a fourth liner. Its 30 seconds less than Emmerton and Eaves. Hes produced offensively just as well as any other bottom 6 player on the team while being more physical than any of them, he fills a role. I guess we'll really disagree on fighting than because as a guy who has watched teammates get cheapshotted, seeing the guy get beat down afterwards helps bring a team together. Kind of like when the 97 team cited that brawl as their defining moment.

As for the fighters/hitters list... I think its funny how you act like a know it all, say youll teach me some basic physics because I'm so wrong and you cant even put a list of 5 guys together. And the reason you wont is because you obviously know f all about the subject and are just spouting off about nothing. Tootoos played so well this year in his role he got some shifts with Zetterberg last night for his effort hes given every shift. So dont get in a point by point subjective argument, whats that saying? Its better to stay quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it... I think it applies here

If anyone can justify Franzine earning his $3.9M with his lazy lackluster play...then Tootoo more than earns his $1.9M pay. He was brought in for a reason, a role, he is filling it perfectly and giving 110% every night, night after night...

I hope he signs another contract after this one....

Let me ask all of you Tootoo doubters...do you think Kronwall is earning his contract right now? How about Quincey? Sammy? White? Cola? I think if anyone is earning his money, its Tootoo for sure!

Edited by LeftWinger