• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DenJ91

The Official bring back Fedorov topic!

Rate this topic

Obviously I want him back here. So yes. As for his number being retired, do I think it will ever happen even if he comes back? No. If he comes back and plays good hockey, should it? Yes. But it won't. Personally, I don't think Feds was ever really appreciated here for everything he brought to the table. Yes, people knew he was good, yes people wore his jersey, yes people wanted us to re-sign him. But when it came down to it, he did so many other things than just score, that many people didn't realize how valuable he was to this team. People would say that he could be lazy during the regular season and didn't always come to play, and at times I saw that; that's just being honest. However, rarely did he have a game in the playoffs like that. When the pressure was on, that's when Feds played his best hockey. Personally, I'd much rather be the kid that does ok through school all year and then aces his final exams than the kid who gets the As on all the homework and quizzes and then fails the final.

My official response to Fedorov for this official thread:

11166.jpg

Why? I'm not looking to start an argument, I'm just curious. As others have pointed out, he is a great playoff performer, and does many other things than just score. Do you have a legitimate reason for not wanting him back, or are you just bitter about a decision that he made in the off-season almost five years ago? I'm genuinely curious, and again not trying to start an argument.

Why? I'm not looking to start an argument, I'm just curious. As others have pointed out, he is a great playoff performer, and does many other things than just score. Do you have a legitimate reason for not wanting him back, or are you just bitter about a decision that he made in the off-season almost five years ago? I'm genuinely curious, and again not trying to start an argument.

Because i dont feel he's what we need...and the ONLY reason people want him back is because he played here before. If he hadnt, nobody would be interested, and you know thats the truth. Nostalgia is not a legitimate reason. People hang too much on the past, how the heck can we claim he'd produce in the playoffs...because he did so 6 years ago? Thats just a reason people use to cover up the fact that its just for nostalgia. I have no bitterness whatsoever about him leaving by the way, just dont feel he's the answer.

Because i dont feel he's what we need...and the ONLY reason people want him back is because he played here before. If he hadnt, nobody would be interested, and you know thats the truth. Nostalgia is not a legitimate reason. People hang too much on the past, how the heck can we claim he'd produce in the playoffs...because he did so 6 years ago? Thats just a reason people use to cover up the fact that its just for nostalgia. I have no bitterness whatsoever about him leaving by the way, just dont feel he's the answer.

Same can be said for D-mac... and yet sergei at 43% is still leaps and bounds better than D-mac at 110% all around... except maybe the fighting side, if D-mac will still drop them.

Edited by OsGOD

I'm not a huge fan of his but the Wings need a good second liner that can score occasionally. They also need someone to man the point on the second pp that has a big shot. Fedorov would fit the bill on both of those needs.

I haven't followed them much this year, is he still playing D? I know he was moved to defense last year but I don't think it was permanent.

I'd rather have Blake, though.

Same can be said for D-mac... and yet sergei at 43% is still leaps and bounds better than D-mac at 110% all around... except maybe the fighting side, if D-mac will still drop them.

Wow! Good point. Never really looked at it that way. Impressive and lou is very supportive of Mac coming back.

Although I am too. I would rather Mac come back then Feds but that is purely selfish and not logical. I don't car though. :blink:

Very valid points. I will be the first to admit that just the thought of him back here makes me smile, and yes, that is nostalgia. He was my favorite, I still try to catch Bluejackets games if possible, and I miss seeing him out there with the Wings. I agree he is probably not what we need right now, but I don't think he could hurt either. However, if it came down to Feds or a tough, hard-hitting defenseman, Kenny would be a fool not to take the D-man. I see that. By the way, thanks for being classy in your answer and actually making some very good points instead of some of the answers others on here choose to give when their views are challenged.

I don't want Federov back and I don't think his number should be retired. He is a very selfish player and his dad is a whiner. I still find it funny that he left Detroit for the "beautiful" weather of California and then got shipped off to Columbus to play in that city with the team from "down south." Federov deserves to play for bottom feeder teams (and retire without another Stanley Cup). Maybe then, he will appreciate the team that helped him defect from that Communist trap.

I'm aware the chances of Kenny Holland seeing this, is slim and none but it's worth a shot. I would love nothing more than for sergei to retire a red wing, the boo's turn into cheers and have a chance for his number to be retired in detroit. It can happen, let's make this a petition to get him back here! I've read alot of support for him on these forums. Let's rally and beg kenny to bring him back here!

Only say yes if you want him back, don't bother arguing about not wanting him here, save that for somewhere else. this is only if you want him back.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sergi has aways been a me, me type of guy. Never the true team player. He wined and cried because Stevie Y was the man. Team players, not me, me's get their numbers retired. He was a very good player for his years in Detroit. But he was NOT a great player. And great is not always defined by the numbers you put up, its also defined by the person you are to your team mates, fans and the organization as a whole. Sergi failed in the latter and for that he will NEVER have his number retired.

And great is not always defined by the numbers you put up, its also defined by the person you are to your team mates,

The one player whose name I consistantly see mentioned when articles about Vladdy pop now and then is - Sergei Fedorov.

As for why we shouldn't bring him past, nostalgia, yadda yadda yadda.......I hope no-one here is naive enough to think he's gunna pop up with another 20 point playoff. But can he come in and add depth and experience? Can he play a scoring role on a 2nd line? Can he play as a shut-down guy on the 3rd line? Can he add *a lot* of quality to our lacking-in-talent 4th line? Can he take key face-offs and win them? Can he play PK? Can he play up front or on the point on the PP? Has he *always* put up points in the playoffs?

Hell yes.

The one player whose name I consistantly see mentioned when articles about Vladdy pop now and then is - Sergei Fedorov.

As for why we shouldn't bring him past, nostalgia, yadda yadda yadda.......I hope no-one here is naive enough to think he's gunna pop up with another 20 point playoff. But can he come in and add depth and experience? Can he play a scoring role on a 2nd line? Can he play as a shut-down guy on the 3rd line? Can he add *a lot* of quality to our lacking-in-talent 4th line? Can he take key face-offs and win them? Can he play PK? Can he play up front or on the point on the PP? Has he *always* put up points in the playoffs?

Hell yes.

I guarantee you he will put up more points than any of the defensemen we are craving right now.... Maybe not 20pts, but it i will up near the top of the wings leaders.... hell if LANG was a continual top 5 or so playoff performer on this team Fedorov is almost a sure bet for it.

no

...hey Omnipotent_Hudler, your guy is a healthy scratch today, you know what that means...

...TRADE FORTH COMING!!! Bye Bye Overated Hudler! :puke:

...ok, all the earlier talk about Yzerman/Fedorov , whether or not the #91 will go up, who was more or equally important to this club's success...

...I am a fan of Steve Yzerman. He deserves all the accolades he gets, but lets look at the facts and the numbers. Steve's teams prior to the European invasion were pretty much useless. Yeah (unlike someone eluded to earlier) they made the playoffs, but other than 87 and 88 they didn't make many waves and were eliminated in the first round most the time, not including TWICE they didn't even make the playoffs. Sure Steve piled up the points, yet other players paled in comparison and he was all too often the guy who was solely relied upon to get it done for his team. Petr Klima was a little help, but he self destructed. Now, the ONLY reason Stevie means so much to this city is because he was there when they sucked and he played thru those years to the glory years. Remember, he was once traded (unofficially) to Ottawa after losing to the Sharks in 1994. I cannot remember Sergei EVER being mentioned in a trade. As a matter of fact, the Illitch's and Holland love this guy so much that they paid him $26million to play a handful of games in 1998. I know, you are gonna say Yzerman never got traded because they loved him, yet it was Marian Illitch who nixed that trade. Scotty had the deal done and Illitch was ready to approve it until the wifey stepped in...

...Ok, enough of sentimental reasoning for Sergei being just as important, lets get to the stats. If Yzerman and Fedorov entered the league at the exact same time and left the exact same time, Stevie would have edged Sergei by 24 regular season points. Fedorov has 163 playoff points to Steve's 135 points in the same time span. As a matter of fact, Fedorov has only 22 less playoff points now than Stevie had his entire career. Fedorov will top the 500 goal mark, if he plays for us 5 more years, there's no reason why he wouldn't top 600 and maybe even crack the top 10 in goal scoring all-time. He is already the highest scoring Russian born player n the NHL, he has more MVP's than Steve, I think Steve only has one Selke as well, so he has him beat there. The only reason Steve beat him out for the Conn Smyth in 1998 is because he had 4 more points than Sergei, yet Sergei had led the team in goals that playoff season with 10. He will be in the Hall of Fame after he retires. There's no reason why #91 shouldn't be in the rafters just on those merits alone, but who was more important to this team's success? Fedorov is my answer. If you take the time that we were the best team in the NHL, between the years of 1995 to the last Stanley Cup in 02, Fedorov clearly was a bigger player on this team. If Yzerman and Fedorov entered the league the same year, Fedorov becomes the face of this franchise, not Steve...

...with that being said, Yzerman was a HUGE part of this teams success, but, when it comes down to where it counts, that is in the statistical catagory, Sergei was the top dog...

...you cannot compare Fedorov to Lidstrom, two different position, two totally different approaches to the game, but I will tell you this, and call me all kinds of names if you want, take Lidstrom off this team and we still win a Cup or two, take Sergei off that team and we win 0, zero, zilch, none, natta. Not even with Yzerman...

...Most of you know this to be true, but you are afraid to admit it...

...Steve Yzerman was the face of this franchise, but Sergei Fedorov was the face of this Championship franchise, the face of the Cup...

Edited by LeftWinger

Wow! Good point. Never really looked at it that way. Impressive and lou is very supportive of Mac coming back.

Although I am too. I would rather Mac come back then Feds but that is purely selfish and not logical. I don't car though. :blink:

Very supportive? That must be an assumption because ive never said it. In fact, the only comments on McCarty ive made lately i believe is pointing out that Downey is the better fighter of the two. Ive never been on the bring McCarty back wagon.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

NO

his coming back would be a disappointment. Didn't like his attitude before and he doesn't have the game anymore to offset it.

Oh, and I feel that the only way his numbers go into the rafters is if Osgod, Leftwinger, and Eva sneak up there to hang it themselves.

Unless Columbus wants Maltby anyway...

Fedorov was the reason for the success of this team but lived in Yzerman's shadow.

Really? That is a bold statement, and disrespectful to PLENTY of other Wings... let's list some people who were very important to the Wings 3 recent Cups... Bowman. Vernon, Osgood, and Hasek. Lidstrom. Shanny. Then you can list the plethora of others who played a role... Hull, Vlad, Murphy, Luc, etc etc etc.

I'm not hating on Feds. I still have my #91 poster (along with a Cecil Fielder and Barry Sanders...). But we are talking about his number getting retired here. Won't happen as long as Illitch owns the team.

But, ah, the memories... 4 straight playoff seasons with 20 or more points... the MVP... Anna...

...hey Omnipotent_Hudler, your guy is a healthy scratch today, you know what that means...

...TRADE FORTH COMING!!! Bye Bye Overated Hudler! :puke:

Maybe when Hudler is shipped off I'll have to stop putting up with your posts, so it's basically worth it.

he has the flu, idiot.

what exactly can fedorov bring to the wings, besides less cap space

A legitimate second line scoring threat, which with Cleary's injury and Z's back problems, isn't a bad idea. Plus, a point man for the second power play unit. Those things are EXACTLY what the Wings need. I can't see how anyone can argue that.

Maybe when Hudler is shipped off I'll have to stop putting up with your posts, so it's basically worth it.

he has the flu, idiot.

...you don't have to call me names. Ken Kal said "Healthy Scratch" so choke on it... :crybaby:

...Oh, BTW after Hudler IS dealt, we can stop looking at your name comparing Hudler to God...

...Hudler :puke:. Healthy Scratch, for Aaron Downey none the less! :rotflmao:

Edited by LeftWinger