• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsFan19

Red Wings acquire D Brad Stuart

Rate this topic

Stuart stood out to me when he played in SJ, if he could get back to that form I would be extremely happy.

I think Detroit has a way about them in molding guys into being the best they can be. Cleary would an example of this. I know not all players get it together in Detroit but im very optimistic about B-Rad.

Edited by Yak19

Stuart stood out to me when he played in SJ, if he could get back to that form I would be extremely happy.

Agreed. All in all, how could this be bad?? We gave up a 2nd and a 4th for a guy who could be as good as our 3/4 d-man. How can anyone complain? Oh, thats right, because his name isn't Hossa. :rolleyes:

Get over it, it was a good move and it cant hurt us IMO.

Agreed. All in all, how could this be bad?? We gave up a 2nd and a 4th for a guy who could be as good as our 3/4 d-man. How can anyone complain? Oh, thats right, because his name isn't Hossa. :rolleyes:

Get over it, it was a good move and it cant hurt us IMO.

Well, I mean it can hurt us if those picks end up being future Datsyuk's or Zetterberg's but I am really comfortable with the fact that we only had to give up a 50th and 100th overall pick for a guy who is a second line D-man. Agreed 100% that it can't hurt us THIS year unless he ends up deciding to randomly deflect shots on our goalies or taking headshots at our forwards while they are standing in front of the net.

not at all.. Markov wouldn't take a one year deal, wanted 3 plus at over 3 a year... plus, he's not counting as a 3.5 cap hit, plus, LA already paid almost all of his salary, we're really only paying about 1 mil of his salary...

1. If Markov were signed to a 2-3 year 3.5 mil. (or so) contract, and the Wings wouldn't have , for some reason, wanted to keep him around after the 1st year, they could have traded him for something, at least a 3rd round pick, instead of having to give up 2 picks. That would have been a net gain over the current situation.

2. The cap room is not a factor right now. The Wings have enough room to accomodate Markov's hypothetical salary.

3. The reason the Kings paid the most of Stuart's salary, is because he played the most of the season for them. Don't you think the Wings could have used an extra NHL-level defenseman this season, instead of having to play Meech, Ericsson, Quincey, and perhaps having to play Lilja and Lebda for more minutes than the managemant wanted to?

Guest Canadian Wings
Not trying to jump the gun, but if he plays well does anyone think Stuart will re-sign with us?

probably not. he prefers to play in california because of his GF.

Well, I mean it can hurt us if those picks end up being future Datsyuk's or Zetterberg's but I am really comfortable with the fact that we only had to give up a 50th and 100th overall pick for a guy who is a second line D-man. Agreed 100% that it can't hurt us THIS year unless he ends up deciding to randomly deflect shots on our goalies or taking headshots at our forwards while they are standing in front of the net.

Yeah but do you really think LA has scouting as good as Detroit's to be able to find players like that past the first round? Its possible, and thats a risk you have to take, but a we had to give up no one to get a pretty good player in return.

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard
Lidstrom>Niedermayer

Rafalski<Pronger

Kronwall<Schneider (come on now; Kronwall is not a top-pairing D, Schneider is)

Stuart=Beauchemin (Beauchemin is better defensively, Stuart is better offensively)

Chelios=O'Donnell (O'Donnell is just as gritty and responsible)

These last two are interchangable but...

Lilja<Huskins (Huskins is more consistent)

Lebda<Bergeron (Bergeron is more talented)

Sorry but a slight edge to Anaheim :thumbdown:

Do you realize that this is a stupid way to compare defense, it's not objective, it's unquantifiable, (maybe lidstrom is so much better than niedermayer, that it makes up for rafalski etc...) The only objective way to compare the defensive corps is the stats and wings win it there.

Who's this girlfriend everyone is talking about? Britney Spears? Pronger's wife? Why just California?

I think its because her family's there. But in any case, you're Brad Stuart and you have a choice of where to live, Detroit or SoCal. I think SoCal wins everytime, esp if you can hook up with the Sharks or Ducks.

Yeah but do you really think LA has scouting as good as Detroit's to be able to find players like that past the first round? Its possible, and thats a risk you have to take, but a we had to give up no one to get a pretty good player in return.

That's part 2 of what I was thinking in response to the comment. Part 2 was Dats and Zets were picked up well below the 4th round - no worries there mate. :siren:

Does anyone else get the feeling that Samuelson won't be taken off the point on the power play?

I don't know why, but I think Babcock likes him there. Maybe he likes the excitement of breakways that he causes, or something...

Does anyone else get the feeling that Samuelson won't be taken off the point on the power play?

I don't know why, but I think Babcock likes him there. Maybe he likes the excitement of breakways that he causes, or something...

No, I dont get that feeling at all. Lidstrom, Raffi, and Kronwall are no brainers on the point. Stuart has played point man on the PP on every team hes played for. Its a no brainer as well.

"We gave up a 2nd and a 4th for a guy who could be as good as our 3/4 d-man. How can anyone complain? Oh, thats right, because his name isn't Hossa."

No, it really has nothing to do with Stuart. Well I can only speak for myself, but the reason I was upset was because it was painfully obvious months running up to the deadline that we needed secondary scoring. So what do we do? Sign Stuart. Who yes is a good D-man, I don't know where you get 3/4 d-man, I mean what do you base that on, or are you purely spculating in order to make your "witty" argument sound better.

1. If Markov were signed to a 2-3 year 3.5 mil. (or so) contract, and the Wings wouldn't have , for some reason, wanted to keep him around after the 1st year, they could have traded him for something, at least a 3rd round pick, instead of having to give up 2 picks. That would have been a net gain over the current situation.

2. The cap room is not a factor right now. The Wings have enough room to accomodate Markov's hypothetical salary.

3. The reason the Kings paid the most of Stuart's salary, is because he played the most of the season for them. Don't you think the Wings could have used an extra NHL-level defenseman this season, instead of having to play Meech, Ericsson, Quincey, and perhaps having to play Lilja and Lebda for more minutes than the managemant wanted to?

1. Markov was also asking for a no-trade clause of at LEAST 3 years, maybe more... that was the biggest hindrance of the deal, Holland already said that, they would have signed him if it were 2 years or less...

2. The cap room is not a factor, you're right... but it will be when Zetterberg and Cleary get their raises next year... the years Markov's contract would have been around for...

3. yes, that is why the Kings paid most of his salary... that's how the salary structures go... but guess what, it's still a business and paying less=more profit, simple math... I was just adding that in as an extra point

The main factor here is that Markov wanted a multi-year deal asking for too much, which is why he is not here, simple as that...

"We gave up a 2nd and a 4th for a guy who could be as good as our 3/4 d-man. How can anyone complain? Oh, thats right, because his name isn't Hossa."

No, it really has nothing to do with Stuart. Well I can only speak for myself, but the reason I was upset was because it was painfully obvious months running up to the deadline that we needed secondary scoring. So what do we do? Sign Stuart. Who yes is a good D-man, I don't know where you get 3/4 d-man, I mean what do you base that on, or are you purely spculating in order to make your "witty" argument sound better.

I agree we needed secondary scoring, but we needed size and some toughness on the blueline just as bad, if not worse. I wish Holland could've brought in both, but at least he got one of the needs.

Stuart was the 2nd pairing in L.A. Granted they're a terrible team, but it seems pretty reasonable he could be third pairing here.

3rd pairing :blink:

I really hope not! From what little I know about him it sounds as though he's a legit #4 Dman...Then again I haven't paid much attention to him until a week, or 2 ago - so what do I know :blush:

Actually it sounds like he'll be 2nd pairing with Kronner, but my point was that he could easily be third if he was second pairing in L.A. Maybe I misunderstood the previous poster.

With both Stewie, & Kroner being lefty's - which side will each guy play?

Kinda a dumb question, but just curious.

Kronner is a better passer. Think 80% of the time that Lids and Schnieds played together. Stuart will be the shot (Right Point).

Edited by EuroTwin

1. Markov was also asking for a no-trade clause of at LEAST 3 years, maybe more... that was the biggest hindrance of the deal, Holland already said that, they would have signed him if it were 2 years or less...

I don't doubt your word, but where can I see the details of the contract that Detroit offered to Markov and that he declined? I heard totally different numbers and nothing about the NTC.

Nah, I think it is a great trade and I hope that LA isn't able to find those diamonds in the rough like we have been able to do.