• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dr_lobster

Dallas Columnist: Turco Better than Osgood

Rate this topic

I'm not one to call out another on their futile opinion, but poor sports writing like this is pretty upsetting.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...RTS05/305170012

He is not Tommy Salo or even Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood. Marty is a guy who has superstar stamped on his forehead and who seems destined to win a Stanley Cup.

He certainly is a better pure goalie than Osgood.

I realize this is not popular in Detroit where a few idiots keep touting him as a Hall of Famer. This is not an insult. He's a good goalie playing for a great team. But last time I checked, standing behind this Red Wings team qualifies you for the Hall of Really Lucky.

If he is Hall of Fame material, explain his Islander days please.

Waiting, waiting.....did not think so.

Do you think if Team Canada had to choose between Marty and Osgood 1,000 times for Vancouver 2010, they take Osgood 100 times? Once?

Of course, if Marty fails in Game 5, Osgood has scoreboard. And whether Osgood needed a Nick Lidstrom stepladder to etch his name on the Cup or not, it is still on there. Twice, thanks to a little of Mike Vernon's work.

Good Lord. This guy seems dead-set on emphasizing individual talent over how someone fits into a team, which hey -- last I checked, you play hockey as a team. I have no problem admitting Turco to be a great goalie, but saying that he's a better "pure" netminder? What the hell does that mean? That he's flashier? His ability to play the puck is impressive, sure. It just feels like this guy is grasping at straws, and with little maturity...who writes something like "If he is Hall of Fame material, explain his Islander days please. Waiting, waiting.....did not think so." ...to try and invalidate someone? Why do the two goalies even need to be compared?

But really, what logic is it to say: "Well, Osgood isn't great, he's just good...lead-the-league-in-stats good, because you have grrrreat players in front of you to make him look better." Is it really that simple? If we swapped Osgood for Luongo, even -- there's no guarantee that we'd be doing better, because Osgood performs consistently, is responsible, is known and loved in the locker room, and fits into our style of play very well.

Here's to stamping out the goalie that has "superstar stamped to his forehead" tonight.

Edited by dr_lobster

Wait a minute....Vernon didn't win the Cup in '98...

I hate it when sports writers are...well...dumb.

Osgood has been solid, even in his Islander days.

He's not a shoe-in for the HOF, but his stats would say he should certainly be considered.

Not that it matters, but "this guy" is a woman.

I'm not one to call out another on their futile opinion, but poor sports writing like this is pretty upsetting.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...RTS05/305170012

Good Lord. This guy seems dead-set on emphasizing individual talent over how someone fits into a team, which hey -- last I checked, you play hockey as a team. I have no problem admitting Turco to be a great goalie, but saying that he's a better "pure" netminder? What the hell does that mean? That he's flashier? His ability to play the puck is impressive, sure. It just feels like this guy is grasping at straws, and with little maturity...who writes something like "If he is Hall of Fame material, explain his Islander days please. Waiting, waiting.....did not think so." ...to try and invalidate someone? Why do the two goalies even need to be compared?

But really, what logic is it to say: "Well, Osgood isn't great, he's just good...lead-the-league-in-stats good, because you have grrrreat players in front of you to make him look better." Is it really that simple? If we swapped Osgood for Luongo, even -- there's no guarantee that we'd be doing better, because Osgood performs consistently, is responsible, is known and loved in the locker room, and fits into our style of play very well.

Here's to stamping out the goalie that has "superstar stamped to his forehead" tonight.

People from Dallas don't know s*** about hockey. This sportswriter obviously has nothing to do before football season, so he decided to take up hockey instead.

Screw him and his paper.

I went to college in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, does that mean I don't know anything about hockey?

Watch the generalizations.

Pound-for-pound, Turco probably is the better goalie right now.

But you know what? Osgood's won a Cup, Osgood's owning the league this year, and Osgood isn't Dallas's ***** ala Turco-Wings. And Osgood isn't a whiny little *****.

See ya on the green, Marty!

Did he just really say 'explain his Islanders days then?'

I'll explain it to the piece of crap and then he'll feel like s*** afterwards seeing as how Ozzie played some of his BEST hockey on the Isles and was the main reason they even made the post season that year. Just proves he doesn't know what he's talking about..

Stupid article. I'm this close to emailing the punk.

I went to college in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, does that mean I don't know anything about hockey?

Watch the generalizations.

And so you're basically one of a million people from Dallas who knows anything about hockey. The fact is that it is not an area where people or sportswriters have much knowledge about the sport. That's not a generalization.

Did he just really say 'explain his Islanders days then?'

I'll explain it to the piece of crap and then he'll feel like s*** afterwards seeing as how Ozzie played some of his BEST hockey on the Isles and was the main reason they even made the post season that year. Just proves he doesn't know what he's talking about..

Stupid article. I'm this close to emailing the punk.

She's not worth it. Just another smartass trying to stir something up.

Well, if it's all luck, then I'll take someone who can "luck" their way to 2 Stanley cups over someone who's "unlucky" enough to never have a single win in his professional career at a particular team's home ice.

And so you're basically one of a million people from Dallas who knows anything about hockey. The fact is that it is not an area where people or sportswriters have much knowledge about the sport. That's not a generalization.

Incorrect.

You took the article of a journalist that probably wasn't a good one, and lumped a million people plus out of one large metro area as not knowing anything about the sport either.

If nobody knew anything about the sport there, there wouldn't be a Stars franchise with coaches and players. I guess the minor league team in the Fort Worth area doesn't know anything about hockey either. The ice hockey rink I've been to a few times in Fort Worth with leagues, etc. Nah, they don't know anything either I guess.

You were generalizing.

Well, if it's all luck, then I'll take someone who can "luck" their way to 2 Stanley cups over someone who's "unlucky" enough to never have a single win in his professional career at a particular team's home ice.

f*** me, I cursed it.

Wait a minute....Vernon didn't win the Cup in '98...

I hate it when sports writers are...well...dumb.

Osgood has been solid, even in his Islander days.

He's not a shoe-in for the HOF, but his stats would say he should certainly be considered.

She's saying that Osgood won one Cup, but has his name on it twice because of Mike Vernon ('97).

Also, to almost everyone else, I think the picture and the name "Jennifer" are indicative of femaleness.

After Game 6....Turdco will be clicking his skates saying there's no place like home, there's no.......he finally woke up from his nightmare!...or maybe he doesn't...he's still in Dallas!