No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Award Predictions

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Let's have some fun.

My predictions:

Hart: Ovechkin. This one is obvious. The NHL needs a star, and this year it was Ovechkin. He tore up the competition, played an improved defensive game, and led his team to their first playoff berth in years.

Pearson: Ovechkin. Iginla has a shot, but only a small one.

Norris: Lidstrom. Obvious. 70 points, +40 and 100% solid leadership. A class act. Phaneuf will win this someday, but not this year; Chara had a great season, but he's leagues below Nick.

Selke: Datsyuk. Hee can't possibly NOT win it, given his offensive numbers coupled with his +/-. Zatta, of course, will get a nod. Madden is an afterthought compared to these two.

Vezina: Nabokov. This one'll be close, but I think given the volume that this guy handled and given that he didn't suffer the early-season slump that Brodeur did, he'll win it. The Wings did light him up pretty badly, though.. hehe. I guess they did that to a lot of teams, though.

Calder: Kane. He had some injuries, but I don't feel there's anyone who can equal him. Backstrom had a great season as well, but he had some stellar linemates; Kane had Toews and nobody else, and he had a great season. Toews, of course, merits a nod as well, but his play isn't as mature as Kane's in my opinion.

Masterton: I don't know why, but I see Chelios winning this. Take it as you may.

Adams: Babcock. There were no storybook success stories this year like Nolan's of last season (takes rock-bottom team to a playoff berth). Babcock has been unbelievable with the Wings since coming in three seasons ago. This year, his system shut down everyone. Everyone! The Wings took the most shots and allowed the least. They allowed the least goals and, but for the February injury-bug, they'd have scored the most (Montreal managed five more than the Wings); indeed, for most of the season the Wings were first overall in goals scored. Even through February, when the Wings were without their top-four defensemen for much of the month, the Wings allowed very few goals. These low goals-against numbers were accomplished by a team playing in front of goalies who, while certainly weathered and effective, were by no means the superstar goalies found on some teams in the league. Further, Babcock managed to run a locker room with no drama. I don't think enough can be said about the guy.

Clancy: Beats me. I don't know enough.

These are good predictions, I have no objections whatsoever. It might be close between Dats and Zetter, but in the end I think Dats will take it.

Talk about proof for a team's defensive qualities btw, when they're awarded the Norris AND get two out of three nominations for Selke. That can't have happened too many times before.

I'm with you Crymson. Those are my picks. Some would take Z over Dats because of his post season run, but Dats outshined him in the regular season with hits, +/-, and takeaways.

Thing with the awards the voting ended before the post season so those stats and performances don't matter.

great choices Crymsun. I have to agree with them.

Thing with the awards the voting ended before the post season so those stats and performances don't matter.

I know this, but some people do forget. Like the Ducks fans that were convinced that Needabreaker was going to win the Norris last season just because of his playoff run.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

I agree with you wth most of your picks except the Masterson. I have nothing but respect for Chelios and the way he continues to play in the NHL, but I think the award will go to Blake. The guy got diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia (thanks wikipedia) and still played with the Islanders.

I agree with you wth most of your picks except the Masterson. I have nothing but respect for Chelios and the way he continues to play in the NHL, but I think the award will go to Blake. The guy got diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia (thanks wikipedia) and still played with the Leafs.

Fixed :P

Hart - AO - Very easy choice

Pearson - AO - ditto

Norris - Lidstrom - ditto

Byng - Datsyuk - ditto

Selke - Z - Hank got the bulk of the press this year. Since the press does the voting...

Vezina - Nabokov - Could go to Brodeur. Toss up.

Calder - Kane - Toews was the best rookie but got hurt

Adams - Boudreau - The best coach doesn't win when he's behind a great team. Sad but true.

Masterton - Pisani - His illness was horrific and he was within days of having his colon removed and his career ended. Blake's cancer is "cancer" so it sounds bad, but relatively mild. Cheli is an old cuss. If the writers were sure he'd retire, he'd win it.

These are good predictions, I have no objections whatsoever. It might be close between Dats and Zetter, but in the end I think Dats will take it.

That about sums it up for me...

I'm with you Crymson. Those are my picks. Some would take Z over Dats because of his post season run, but Dats outshined him in the regular season with hits, +/-, and takeaways.

It's close, but I would take Z over Dats because I think he's a slightly better defensive forward, which is why he's the #1 guy out there on 5 on 3s instead of Pavel. He also takes more faceoffs than Dats and spends more time on the PK overall. Honestly though I think Madden is very deserving of this trophy too.

If it went to what I think the spirit of the award should be, it'd go to Madden. Otherwise it's very close between Dats and Z.

EDIT: All the other awards I agree with most of how people have called them. Though I have a feeling Babcock won't win, in spite of deserving it. Best record in the NHL and the Cup.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I do think that Dats has taken himself out of Lady Byng contention for next year based on this year's playoffs.

But the votes were in before the playoffs began. So hit-monster Datsyuk had no influence on the voting...

edit. I see you meant NEXT year but this year I bet he still wins...

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

Hart- Ovechkin. In a landslide.

Norris- Lidstrom. Also, in a landslide.

Selke- Zetterberg. Should be a close race, though; Z should win, however.

Vezina- Brodeur. Nabokov has been a surprisingly common pick...despite the fact that he played on a much better team that Brodeur and posted significantly worse stats. People talk about how many games nabokov played; Brodeur played just as many and does it EVERY YEAR.

Byng- Datsyuk. Because ya just gotta...

Calder- Kane. Dominant rookie with no prior professional experience. Toews might have taken it had he not been injured....but he was.

Adams- Boudreau. I want to pick Babcock, but the fact that Boudreau turned around a team that most had marked as 'out of playoff contention' and got them to a finish with a diviion crown will give him the Adams.

Hart: Ovechkin. This one is obvious. The NHL needs a star, and this year it was Ovechkin. He tore up the competition, played an improved defensive game, and led his team to their first playoff berth in years.

Well, the NHL already leaked the winner of the Hart (Ovechkin) based on the T-shirts that showed up on their site. I heard a suggestion that they had to be prepared for all possible outcomes, but that is complete BS since the voting was completed 2 months ago and the winner was known before the playoffs started. "Being prepared for anything" is simply a lame attempt to cover up their error.

Guest mindfly

I'd pick Z for best Selke, datsyuk for LB, lidström for norris, babcock for adams... And I also think henrik lundqvist can compete with nabokov, brodeur doesnt deserve it at all imo.

I'm hoping that Pasha comes up with a double header - the Byng and the Selke both. He deserves it.

Babcock might win the Adams, though Boudreau should win it. I'd like to see Nabokov win the Vezina for the same reason - deserving. Nick is a no-brainer for Norris #6, I'm afraid Cheli doesn't stand a chance for the Masterton. The rest I could care less.

Let's have some fun.

My predictions:

Pearson: Ovechkin. Iginla has a shot, but only a small one.

Norris: Lidstrom. Obvious. 70 points, +40 and 100% solid leadership. A class act. Phaneuf will win this someday, but not this year; Chara had a great season, but he's leagues below Nick.

Selke: Datsyuk. Hee can't possibly NOT win it, given his offensive numbers coupled with his +/-. Zatta, of course, will get a nod. Madden is an afterthought compared to these two.

Vezina: Nabokov. This one'll be close, but I think given the volume that this guy handled and given that he didn't suffer the early-season slump that Brodeur did, he'll win it. The Wings did light him up pretty badly, though.. hehe. I guess they did that to a lot of teams, though.

Calder: Kane. He had some injuries, but I don't feel there's anyone who can equal him. Backstrom had a great season as well, but he had some stellar linemates; Kane had Toews and nobody else, and he had a great season. Toews, of course, merits a nod as well, but his play isn't as mature as Kane's in my opinion.

Masterton: I don't know why, but I see Chelios winning this. Take it as you may.

Adams: Babcock. There were no storybook success stories this year like Nolan's of last season (takes rock-bottom team to a playoff berth). Babcock has been unbelievable with the Wings since coming in three seasons ago. This year, his system shut down everyone. Everyone! The Wings took the most shots and allowed the least. They allowed the least goals and, but for the February injury-bug, they'd have scored the most (Montreal managed five more than the Wings); indeed, for most of the season the Wings were first overall in goals scored. Even through February, when the Wings were without their top-four defensemen for much of the month, the Wings allowed very few goals. These low goals-against numbers were accomplished by a team playing in front of goalies who, while certainly weathered and effective, were by no means the superstar goalies found on some teams in the league. Further, Babcock managed to run a locker room with no drama. I don't think enough can be said about the guy.

Clancy: Beats me. I don't know enough.

I'm not sure how you can say "no storybook success stories this year" with a chaulpa like the Caps and Boudreau hanging out there. It's unfortunate that coaches of good teams always get overlooked, but that's what happens. Especially unfortunate because I think the Wings' success had more to do with coaching/system than the Caps' turnaround (not a knock on Boudreau, since he was smart enough to let the kids loose, which is where Hanlon failed).

I'll go with Dats on the Selke too just on his ridiculous takeaway number and leading the league in +/-. If voting happened after the playoffs, I'd go with Z on the ridiculous amount of (completely deserved) attention he got for his shorthanded play and his play vs. Crosby.

Masterson: My gut says Pisani, but if the voters felt like this is it for Cheli, they could give it to him on career achievement. Problem is, I don't know that anyone was saying Cheli is done pre-playoffs.

Agree on Hart/Pearson/Norris/Vezina/Calder.