• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BML

LINDSTROM?!?!?

Rate this topic

Why don't you all getting hopped up over this take a deep breath and relax. It doesn't take away from anything Nick or the Red Wings have accomplished, so it's hardly something of monumental insult. It's an extra letter, it's not like they introduced him by someone else's name or dropped the trophy on his foot or called his mom a name.

I take it as a slap sorta... people in the Metro area who aren't big fans of the sport call him LINDSTROM... he's been here for a long damn time... give the guy some respect... it's not like his last name is complicated AT ALL

Why don't you all getting hopped up over this take a deep breath and relax. It doesn't take away from anything Nick or the Red Wings have accomplished, so it's hardly something of monumental insult. It's an extra letter, it's not like they introduced him by someone else's name or dropped the trophy on his foot or called his mom a name.

:clap:

I take it as a slap sorta... people in the Metro area who aren't big fans of the sport call him LINDSTROM... he's been here for a long damn time... give the guy some respect... it's not like his last name is complicated AT ALL

Okay, if Nick comes forward and says he was gravely insulted, I'll go ahead and jump on the "annoyed" bandwagon.

You know how many times my last name has been misspelled by people who absolutely SHOULD know how to spell it? I had to send my H.S. diploma back because they spelled my name wrong. And you know what? No one I knew was offended or thought I should have been too. It happens. It's a printing error, not a conspiracy to defile the man's good name and character.

Guest Crymson

The Norris winner was, in fact, Joakim Lindstrom of the Columbus Blue Jackets. He had an excellent season, compiling three goals and four assists and an even +/- rating in 25 games. More than half of his points came on the power play, demonstrating his extreme prowess in special teams play.

:clap: Joakim. The NHL must have mistakenly invited Lidstrom to the party instead.

Considering the voting this year, the only thing that would stop him is retirement or a serious injury.

Lidstrom: 127 first-place votes and 1313 points.

Phaneuf: 2 first-place votes and 561 points

Chara: 3 first-place votes and 486 points.

Wow.

6-time winner and 3 time runner up. That is impressive.

:thumbup: That's freaking amazing.

The Norris winner was, in fact, Joakim Lindstrom of the Columbus Blue Jackets. He had an excellent season, compiling three goals and four assists and an even +/- rating in 25 games. More than half of his points came on the power play, demonstrating his extreme prowess in special teams play.

:clap: Joakim. The NHL must have mistakenly invited Lidstrom to the party instead.

congrats, Joakim. The norris will be arriving at your door shortly.

Lidstrom just won the award, but the kid who handed him the hardware was wearing a jersey that read... LINDSTROM!

GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK! GET WITH IT NHL! IT'S HIS 6TH IN 7 YEARS!!!!!!!

Maybe next year they'll forget about the kids. I'm sure it was a thrill for them, but I think it's a little tacky when they do stuff like having the kids talking in the videos and handing out the awards. Just have a regular awards show. All that extra stuff just slows the night down.

CBC already has kids introduce Hockey Night in Canada. And Hockey Canada, when they introduced the 2002 Hockey Team, had kids come up on stage wearing the jersey. It's a interesting idea, but it's been over done, and other than giving the kids a thrill, I really don't understand what it stands for

Edited by Barrie

Guest lnvincible
Again, blame the people who made the jersey, not the NHL.

A disgrace because of a jersey name misspell? I highly doubt people were throwing stuff at the kid and yelling at him that he was retarded for wearing a jersey with an extra letter. In 3 days, nobody is going to even remember it happened. There are worse tragedies in life.

I agree, i mean people can be pissed off which you have some right to be, but people make mistakes. Enough Said.

To answer the original post, typos and mistakes happen all the time. I don't think spelling Lidstrom's name wrong is that bad.

It'll probably make the highlights.

Edited by Barrie

This is ridiculous.

No, it's not the end of the world. No, it's not a huge deal that his name was misspelled.

But just the fact that we saw and realized that they spelled his name wrong on the back of the jersey just reeks of incompetence somewhere. Did no one notice that his name was spelled wrong? They make thousands, if not tens of thousands of Nick Lidstrom jerseys EVERY YEAR and they manage to find the ONLY mispelled one and give it to a kid and then show it on a televised program?

Utter incompetence.

At the very least, they should have noticed they misspelled his name and couldn't run out and get a new one and decided to use a camera angle that doesn't display the misspelled name. Did they think no one would notice?

This is ridiculous.

No, it's not the end of the world. No, it's not a huge deal that his name was misspelled.

But just the fact that we saw and realized that they spelled his name wrong on the back of the jersey just reeks of incompetence somewhere. Did no one notice that his name was spelled wrong? They make thousands, if not tens of thousands of Nick Lidstrom jerseys EVERY YEAR and they manage to find the ONLY mispelled one and give it to a kid and then show it on a televised program?

Utter incompetence.

At the very least, they should have noticed they misspelled his name and couldn't run out and get a new one and decided to use a camera angle that doesn't display the misspelled name. Did they think no one would notice?

People might notice, but I highly doubt very few people are going to care that badly to get all up in arms about it. If it were me, I'd be having a sense of humor about it and chuckling a bit.

There are bigger things to worry about than a mispelled jersey name and this will have absolutely no accurate bearing on what fans are going to be fretting about...outsiders making fun of the sport b/c of this or the NHL going down the tubes b/c of this. The NHL is not going down the tubes because of this, if outsiders make fun of the sport...who cares, it's not going away.

It's a harmless accident. Laugh about it and move on.

From mlive.com:

Lidstrom won easily, with 127 out of a possible 134 first-place votes and 1,313 points. He finished out of the top three on only one person's ballot.

Apparently Don Cherry still have a vote. :)

I would love to know who the mutant is that didn't have him in the top 3 WTF?...does that person even watch hockey?

You know what, this IS a big deal. It just shows what a god damn joke the NHL is. Do you think that the NFL, MLB, or NBA would have mis-spelled the name on the back of one of it's star players' jerseys? Doubt it. I don't know if it was intentional, or just plain idiocity, but this is an absolute joke. "Lindstrom," really? Bettman should be embarassed, the NHL should be embarassed. This is the NHL AWARDS. There's no excuse.

Yet another example of why the NHL is a 2nd tier league

Edited by KronwallCRUNCH

From mlive.com:

Lidstrom won easily, with 127 out of a possible 134 first-place votes and 1,313 points. He finished out of the top three on only one person's ballot.

Apparently Don Cherry still have a vote. :)

:rotflmao:

So true - he's probably fuming that Lids, Pavel, and AO cleaned up on awards! Cause those Euros are oh so soft! lol

Anyhow, I've seen the "Lindstrom" so many times in print I almost thought for awhile it was some alternative Swedish spelling. I've also seen it printed with the o umlaut alot too - apparently Americanized without. Worst transgressions have occurred.

People might notice, but I highly doubt very few people are going to care that badly to get all up in arms about it. If it were me, I'd be having a sense of humor about it and chuckling a bit.

There are bigger things to worry about than a mispelled jersey name and this will have absolutely no accurate bearing on what fans are going to be fretting about...outsiders making fun of the sport b/c of this or the NHL going down the tubes b/c of this. The NHL is not going down the tubes because of this, if outsiders make fun of the sport...who cares, it's not going away.

It's a harmless accident. Laugh about it and move on.

I guess competence is too much to ask for? :huh:

I don't disagree with you about any of those points, it's just so ridiculous that a star player of the league, a man whose won six Norris Trophies, four Stanley Cups, a man who was the first European to win the Conn Smythe and the Norris, a man who has never missed a playoff season in his career with the NHL can't get his name spelled right on the one jersey that is broadcast to an International audience at a show that is giving him an award that will continue his entrenchment in the record books.

I'm not angry, I'm... appalled? I don't even know. My mind is boggled.

(Yes, I am perfectly aware that is a horribe run on sentence.)

Edited by EuroTwin

This really isn't something to get angry about, though. It's a simple typographical error and some of you are making it sound like his family name was insulted. It was lame yes, but people are making it out to be far more destructive and horrifying than it actually is.

This really isn't something to get angry about, though. It's a simple typographical error and some of you are making it sound like his family name was insulted. It was lame yes, but people are making it out to be far more destructive and horrifying than it actually is.

I think it's more that it just boggles the mind to think that something like that slipped past everyone in charge of organizing the event. It's not getting me all up in arms, but it's definately inexcusably sloppy.

You know what, this IS a big deal. It just shows what a god damn joke the NHL is. Do you think that the NFL, MLB, or NBA would have mis-spelled the name on the back of one of it's star players' jerseys? Doubt it. I don't know if it was intentional, or just plain idiocity, but this is an absolute joke. "Lindstrom," really? Bettman should be embarassed, the NHL should be embarassed. This is the NHL AWARDS. There's no excuse.

Yet another example of why the NHL is a 2nd tier league

Once again, blame the jersey maker for messing up on the name. And the NHL is not a joke because of a misspelled jersey. The only people who are crying over spilled milk about this are hardcore fans in all likelihood. I highly doubt very few people outside the NHL who might want to become fans are going to say, "By golly George, did you see that? They mispelled his jersey name! By humbug, I am striking from ever watching hockey ever again!" Do you know how silly that sounds? You are right though, it is a joke in a way. It is a funny joke that should be laughed at and nothing more.

I guess competence is too much to ask for? :huh:

I don't disagree with you about any of those points, it's just so ridiculous that a star player of the league, a man whose won six Norris Trophies, four Stanley Cups, a man who was the first European to win the Conn Smythe and the Norris, a man who has never missed a playoff season in his career with the NHL can't get his name spelled right on the one jersey that is broadcast to an International audience at a show that is giving him an award that will continue his entrenchment in the record books.

I'm not angry, I'm... appalled? I don't even know. My mind is boggled.

(Yes, I am perfectly aware that is a horribe run on sentence.)

I'm just looking for people to approach this with a sense of humor and quit worrying about Armageddon starting for a jersey error.

Armageddon isn't going to happen, nothing is going to happen with the NHL because of this, life inside and outside the NHL will go on like normal regardless of if the jersey was mispelled or the jersey was correct. Training camps will soon start, preseason will be played, the regular season will go on, hardcore fans will still tune in, and outsiders will still feel compelled to slam the sport REGARDELSS of a jersey mishap. A jersey mishap (unless we are talking about Janet Jackson here :P) isn't going to change anything in a positive or negative fashion.

My last name gets butchered all the time by telemarketers. One poster said they spelled her name wrong on a diploma and she didn't get upset. And I can bet a diploma is more important than an NHL jersey/award. And I can bet you that a few people have probably already seen her name to try to get it spelled on the diploma correctly the 1st time, but it didn't happen. She was able to laugh it off without a problem.

Incompetence for those errors? Perhaps. Are the errors funny? Yes. Are the errors worth getting this mad at? No.