• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DSM

Red Wings to carry enforcer.

Rate this topic

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Im just glad i have the Fury, They understand fun rowdy hockey :P

Why do so many Wings fans on this board love Aaron Downey? Sure, he's a great guy and sticks up for his teamates well, but c'mon, other than fighting, he's USELESS on the ice. I mean did you guys watch the regular season? Where is all this Downey love coming from? He can fight but he can't play hockey, it makes no sense to keep him.

...and Darren McCarty can do neither... it makes LESS sense to keep him...

...during the playoffs, Darren was just one more give-away away from me throwing a shoe through the TV!

I know D-Mac is a fan favorite and rightfully so, but it is time to move on. It was a class act by the front office to bring hom back and give him the chance for another ring.

D-Mac was playing last season on adrenaline. He doesn't have any speed any more and in the play-offs, he took some bad penalties because the opposition was going around hom and he couldn't keep up.

As far as Darren's fighting ability, he was never a heavy weight and the one fight he got into, the hands and reaction time looked slow.

Let's leave good enough alone and let Darren go into retirement with his head held high.

I know D-Mac is a fan favorite and rightfully so, but it is time to move on. It was a class act by the front office to bring hom back and give him the chance for another ring.

D-Mac was playing last season on adrenaline. He doesn't have any speed any more and in the play-offs, he took some bad penalties because the opposition was going around hom and he couldn't keep up.

As far as Darren's fighting ability, he was never a heavy weight and the one fight he got into, the hands and reaction time looked slow.

Let's leave good enough alone and let Darren go into retirement with his head held high.

Bash D-Mac all you want, but he's been more effective than Downey, at least in the points department, and last time I checked, that's all that really matters. Also, keep in mind McCarty came back before he was physically ready, and had to adapt to a whole new team and style of play. He is slow, yes, but we knew that ahead of time.

Keep him, let Downey go (not that I dislike Downey, he's a great guy, but he's not a hockey player).

Edited by VM1138

Bash D-Mac all you want, but he's been more effective than Downey, at least in the points department, and last time I checked, that's all that really matters. Also, keep in mind McCarty came back before he was physically ready, and had to adapt to a whole new team and style of play. He is slow, yes, but we knew that ahead of time.

Keep him, let Downey go (not that I dislike Downey, he's a great guy, but he's not a hockey player).

For the last god damn time.

McCarty = Fighter

Downey = Enforcer

Bash D-Mac all you want, but he's been more effective than Downey, at least in the points department, and last time I checked, that's all that really matters.

So then, all those years when the finesse Wings led the league in scoring they should have waltzed to the Stanley Cup, correct? Since scoring is all that matters, the Wings must have at least 8 cups in the past 11 years. There's a LOT more that "really matters" in the game of hockey than just scoring goals. That's a ridiculous statement.

Yes, McCarty has been more effective than Downey in his career. No one is disputing that. But the McCarty of 2008 is NOT the same player as the McCarty of 1998. He's older, slower, and can't fight as well as he once did. He is NOT an enforcer.

Someone mentioned (I think it was Opie) that it'd be nice to have an enforcer who could play more minutes per game. Ideally, he's right. However, there are no Probert reincarnations out there. If there were, they would command much more money than the league minimum, which Downey and McCarty will probably receive. Plus, if you give more minutes to an enforcer, you've got to take some minutes away from someone else.

Maybe it's just me - I got the impression from the article that they weren't putting McCarty in the Enforcer role for the playoffs... hence the reason we didn't see him "enforce" more often. I think if going forward they are looking for someone to fill that role (to protect some key players), I would rather see McCarty than Downey. A) He's a veteran Wing. B) He can actually produce - albeit on a small scale from what we saw. C) He's like a club superstition - a classic icon who we can all get behind.

Maybe I'm wrong - it seemed to me like D-Mac was put on a leash by Babcock to make sure we weren't starting anything. Now it sounds like they want a prowling wolf again...

Downey = 3 pts in 53 games played

McCarty = 3 pts in 20 games played

I dunno - I have a feeling we'll find out soon.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

If your expecting a 4th liner to produce points, your expecting a bit to much..

Out of a 4th line, I'd expect energy and responsible play..very rarely took a penalty, tried hard to avoid them..Downey provided everything you need/want out of a 4th liner.. his +/- was even, which tells me he isn't as bad as everyone thinks hockey whise..

Mac and Downey need to be in the lineup during games against the rough and tough teams, Other then that i wouldn't mind the good ole PP lines..

Darcy Hordichuk might be available if Carolina can't re-sign him. He'll come cheap, is a good fighter and hitter, is a decent skater with good speed, and can occasionally provide offense as well (more than Downey, anyways). He's a better fighter as well, if that means anything to anyone.

Really though, the Wings enforcer will probably be either Downey or McCarty; maybe even both, but nobody else beyond that. The Wings don't heavily go after enforcers.

Hordichuk will NOT be re-signed by the Canes. They traded for his rights and he basically told the Canes "whatever, Im going to free agency." Don't feel like finding the link, but Im sure its on google somewhere. Hordy will definitely test the market.

Am I missing something? Where are people getting this from?

Like I said - mere speculation... but from the article it seems to imply that there is more of a concrete need for the enforcer role on the roster. Or at least more of a clearly defined role than previous

...The Red Wings will carry an enforcer on their roster. They believe opponents might take even more liberties against their skilled players next season now that they are the Stanley Cup champions."

...The Red Wings will carry an enforcer on their roster. They believe opponents might take even more liberties against their skilled players next season now that they are the Stanley Cup champions."

I don't know, that sounds like a fluff point to me. I can't imagine Ken Holland saying, "OK, we're definitely going to need an enforcer now because we just won the Cup...without one....Hmm."

Downey provided everything you need/want out of a 4th liner.. his +/- was even, which tells me he isn't as bad as everyone thinks hockey whise..

Mac and Downey need to be in the lineup during games against the rough and tough teams, Other then that i wouldn't mind the good ole PP lines..

Don't disagree there re: old PP lines - but if we're talking numbers McCarty was +3 in 20 games.

How dare you guys discuss this topic without me?

For years I've been saying Brian McGrattan, but I just read in this topic that he's off the market. Oh well.

Does anyone know what Brashear's status is with Washington, or D.J. King's status with St. Louis?

Edited by GMRwings1983

Theres more to ice hockey than just being able to score goals my good friend.

Osgood is also useless at anything other than goaltending. But guess what, thats his role. Just like Downey's role is to enforce, rough up the opponents and he also motivates in the locker room.

I heard he gives a mean back rub.

The PP be our enforcer was the crap the Wings were saying two years ago when they had no one that would drop the gloves to stick up for their teammates.

having an enforcer may not prevent guys from running our star players, but it helps team morale and chemistry when you know someone's got your back and will put a beat down on the player that ran you, rather than turning the other cheek. I don't know if I can find them anymore, but over the season there were several quotes from players saying as much.

I'm not saying it has to be Downey, but I think his presence made a difference even in his limited ice time. The Wings have plenty of guys who can contribute on the scoresheet. Downey provides something they don't really get anywhere else. For that reason I'd rather have someone like Downey eating up a roster spot than someone like Chelios, who may sit half the season in spite of us having plenty of guys who can fill that role and play all season long.

I don't care that it's Downey per se. but if not him, I want someone filling that role. And yeah, i'd love to see Lucic, but it's not happening.

Very well said, Harold. Incredibly, dazzlingly obvious, and it shouldn't need to even be explained, but it usually does, especially around here, and you summed it up perfectly.

The important thing is, the team now fully understands this as well, after being the only organization out of 30 in the NHL who didn't for the past 5 seasons or so.

BALANCE. That's how you do it. Scorers score and bangers bang. Ken Dryden, baby.

I don't know, that sounds like a fluff point to me. I can't imagine Ken Holland saying, "OK, we're definitely going to need an enforcer now because we just won the Cup...without one....Hmm."

Holland says stuff every year that doesn't come true. Last year he said he needed a scoring a winger during free agency and he signed a defenseman. Previous years he stated how he wanted bigger, physical forwards, etc...

Point being, don't believe everything the Wings braintrust says at this time of year.

Very well said, Harold. Incredibly, dazzlingly obvious, and it shouldn't need to even be explained, but it usually does, especially around here, and you summed it up perfectly.

The important thing is, the team now fully understands this as well, after being the only organization out of 30 in the NHL who didn't for the past 5 seasons or so.

BALANCE. That's how you do it. Scorers score and bangers bang. Ken Dryden, baby.

Exactly! There has to be a balance and there has to be role players. Well said.

Guest Dump-N-Thump
How dare you guys discuss this topic without me?

For years I've been saying Brian McGrattan, but I just read in this topic that he's off the market. Oh well.

Does anyone know what Brashear's status is with Washington, or D.J. King's status with St. Louis?

i called for your help in one of my posts.. i specificaly asked for you kp lou and d#1f

Holland says stuff every year that doesn't come true. Last year he said he needed a scoring a winger during free agency and he signed a defenseman. Previous years he stated how he wanted bigger, physical forwards, etc...

Point being, don't believe everything the Wings braintrust says at this time of year.

My point exactly. I think I even referenced that "scoring winger" nonsense earlier in this thread. :hehe:

Now, I don't mean to crush people's dreams, but Brashear? Seriously?

Seriously?