• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DSM

Red Wings to carry enforcer.

Rate this topic

Laraque :thumbup:

Isn't he available now? He is also a decent 4th line player excluding his fighting as well. Could be a good fit for us. I'd take him over DMac and Downey, although we all know DMac will be sticking around in a depth role, which I'm sure nobody has any issues with.

I second that!!!!! Bring in George Laraque. Then you don't need DMac or Downey, just Big George.

"At forward, Holland hopes to learn in the next couple days whether Dallas Drake will retire. He must sign Valtteri Filppula, a restricted free agent. He does not anticipate making a move with Darren McCarty or Aaron Downey until later in the summer. The Red Wings will carry an enforcer on their roster. They believe opponents might take even more liberties against their skilled players next season now that they are the Stanley Cup champions."

2 words:

Aaron

and

Downey.

:thumbup:

Not trying to nitpick, but what is the source? Just because you type some stuff and put quotes around it...

Not trying to nitpick, but what is the source? Just because you type some stuff and put quotes around it...

Its from Mlive...I think it was a quote taken from a story about the wings defensive options.

Laraque :thumbup:

Isn't he available now? He is also a decent 4th line player excluding his fighting as well. Could be a good fit for us. I'd take him over DMac and Downey, although we all know DMac will be sticking around in a depth role, which I'm sure nobody has any issues with.

I wouldn't mind Laraque at all in that role. I'd take him if the price was right.

Why do so many Wings fans on this board love Aaron Downey? Sure, he's a great guy and sticks up for his teamates well, but c'mon, other than fighting, he's USELESS on the ice. I mean did you guys watch the regular season? Where is all this Downey love coming from? He can fight but he can't play hockey, it makes no sense to keep him.

he hits anything that moves and is a pretty good fighter.

his +/- was 0 for the season so he is not a liability either.

IMO he played his role perfectly on the team last year and I would welcome him back.

I would...I cant see myself man-loving any guy other than Downey...except maybe Lilja...or Ericsson.

Why?

Laraque is 10-times the *hockey* player that Downey will ever be, and can chip in with an (albeit) occasional point.

While I appreciate Downey keeping the opposition honest in the games he played last season, the Wings would benefit much more from Laraque than they ever would from Downey.

Scoring: Advantage Laraque

Fighting: Advantage Laraque

Size: Advantage Laraque

Sorry, but Downey doesn't stack up against Georges. As I said, I'll take him in a heartbeat for the right price.

Downey is the s*** cuz he wears his heart on his sleeve .. from the past "enforcers" weve had he's the only one that can actually fight .. remember bootland? norton? dudes couldnt even accomplish their roles of being fighters.. Downey is hilarious for one and the guy is totally onboard for w/e the Wings management gives him .. NO OTHER PLAYER COULD FILL IN THE VOID LEFT BY AARON DOWNEY great guy in the locker room or on the bench or skybox

Guest Dump-N-Thump

When Lidstrom gets railed by Lappy, I guarantee all you guys stood up out of your seat and yelled at the tv in excitement when aaron downey made Lappy turtle.. i guarantee it.

And what would you say if no one did anythign? you would complain that the team let there captain get destroyed with no consequences

Laraque is a boring fighter.

Where is Lou Siffer? GMR? KP? Detroit #1 Fan? I need some back up.. it seems like people forgot what real hockey was and should be.

When Lidstrom gets railed by Lappy, I guarantee all you guys stood up out of your seat and yelled at the tv in excitement when aaron downey made Lappy turtle.. i guarantee it.

And what would you say if no one did anythign? you would complain that the team let there captain get destroyed with no consequences

Laraque is a boring fighter.

Where is Lou Siffer? GMR? KP? Detroit #1 Fan? I need some back up.. it seems like people forgot what real hockey was and should be.

What does that even mean?

BTW, of course I jumped out of my seat when Downey made Lappy turtle and I do appreciate Downey having a "whatever the Wings need me for" approach. Yes, he's a great locker room guy, but he didn't see a sniff of action in the playoffs, and a guy like Laraque would absolutely be playing in those games before Downey would simply due to skill level.

it seems like people forgot what real hockey was and should be.

Give me a break. Just because I don't agree with you most certainly doesn't mean "I forgot what real hockey was or should be".

You stick to your principles about what hockey should be or was, and I'll stick to figuring out what players the Wings should ice to win another Cup. Just because hockey isn't the way it used to be (or should be for that matter) doesn't mean I don't miss it. I'm just realistic as well.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Guest Dump-N-Thump
What does that even mean?

He hugs, he never goe's Toe-2-Toe... Theres no excitement or emotion in Laraques fights..

I'am vastly in the minority as a fight lover being in a wings community.. But Jeezus, I didn't think that the whole wings community was ANTI-FIGHTING

The thing that impressed me the most with Downey was that he didn't take many stupid penalties. Most enforcers get mad and commit ignorant penalties at bad times. Downey played smart. He also wouldn't fight just to fight. There had to be a reason for it, sticking up for teammates (Boll, Lappy, etc) or trying to fire up the team and the crowd at a critical point in the game (Parros).

Having said that: Laraque>Downey>McCarty

Laraque is a bit of a "hugger" but a lot of that comes from the fact that his opponents don't want to engage in trading punches with the beast.

Edited by therock48880

He hugs, he never goe's Toe-2-Toe... Theres no excitement or emotion in Laraques fights..

I'am vastly in the minority as a fight lover being in a wings community.. But Jeezus, I didn't think that the whole wings community was ANTI-FIGHTING

:lol:

Who said I didn't love a good fight? I absolutely do, but it would be nice to have a guy that can not only fight, but chip in some points here and there as well as win practically every fight he's in.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Guest Dump-N-Thump
Laraque is a bit of a "hugger" but a lot of that comes from the fact that his opponents don't want to engage in trading punches with the beast.

Ill agree with that

I may have went overboard with what i said about NEVER goe's toe to toe.. and ALWAYS hugs..

Great news! People dont understand the importance of an enforcer, they protect there teamates, and make the locker room more up beat. Downey made all the guys feel safe on the ice, and bringing in McCarty helped too. Does he have alot of skill? Course not, but he's all heart and that's the kind of players you need.

I love that Holland finally figures out that you need an enforcer, and we win the cup. Did Downey have a role in the Cup? No, but his play in the regular season helped other players play tougher. Do you honestly think Datsyuk would've been punching Gary Roberts if he wasnt around Dallas Drake, Aaron Downey and Darren McCarty all year.

As for which of them comes back, it needs to be both. And have them split the games, 41 each. (What a coincedence, thats exactly how many games you need to get your name on the cup :D)

Guest Dump-N-Thump
Great news! People dont understand the importance of an enforcer, they protect there teamates, and make the locker room more up beat. Downey made all the guys feel safe on the ice, and bringing in McCarty helped too. Does he have alot of skill? Course not, but he's all heart and that's the kind of players you need.

I love that Holland finally figures out that you need an enforcer, and we win the cup. Did Downey have a role in the Cup? No, but his play in the regular season helped other players play tougher. Do you honestly think Datsyuk would've been punching Gary Roberts if he wasnt around Dallas Drake, Aaron Downey and Darren McCarty all year.

As for which of them comes back, it needs to be both. And have them split the games, 41 each. (What a coincedence, thats exactly how many games you need to get your name on the cup :D)

^^

Why?

Laraque is 10-times the *hockey* player that Downey will ever be, and can chip in with an (albeit) occasional point.

While I appreciate Downey keeping the opposition honest in the games he played last season, the Wings would benefit much more from Laraque than they ever would from Downey.

Scoring: Advantage Laraque

Fighting: Advantage Laraque

Size: Advantage Laraque

Sorry, but Downey doesn't stack up against Georges. As I said, I'll take him in a heartbeat for the right price.

Agreed.

Laraque is an actual heavy weight. He'd destroy Downey, no fault of Downeys at all I like the guy too, but big Georges is in a whole nother class as far as fighting and intimidating go. He seems from what i've saw throughout his carrer, to be a great team and locker room guy too. And like you say NFM, he's better down low and when he actually has the puck on his stick. It's not an option but Brasher would be a perfect fit on that fourth line. That guy can play the game, control the puck down low, and take on anyone in the leauge. I'm not opposed to Downey coming back, and i love fights, but Laraque is a better option IMO. Alot can be said about Downey's poise though. I think back to the St. Louis (i think, maybe dallas not sure) when Downey had 3 guys hanging off his back and cheapshotting him and he just kept his cool. Said something along the lines of "as long as there going after me instead of Hudler" or something like that.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Why do so many Wings fans on this board love Aaron Downey? Sure, he's a great guy and sticks up for his teamates well, but c'mon, other than fighting, he's USELESS on the ice. I mean did you guys watch the regular season? Where is all this Downey love coming from? He can fight but he can't play hockey, it makes no sense to keep him.

I love him because to win you need a balance on your roster. The one thing Downey brings that this team does not have is somebody who can go toe to toe with most of the big guys in the league. You downplay the fighting aspect and I think that's an egregious error on your part when taken in the context that we don't have anybody to do it. Therefore, he fills a major void in our roster which makes him or whomever fills that role rather important.

I also love him because he played so smart last year. He picked his spots well, he was reliable on the ice and the bottom line was despite his hockey abilities, he was not a liability out there. He finished the season as EVEN which in my book is an A+ for an enforcer.

I also love him because he contributed another 79 hits for the club in his limited time. Lilja and Kopecky lead the team in hits with Drake, Maltby, Drapes and Downey in the next group. With Drake potentially retiring, Stuart potentially being gone and Malts/Drapes being a year older, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a guy in our minor league system that will pick up the slack in the hitting department and is ready for NHL action right now. And if you do find that guy, he won't be able to fight like Downey can.

Plus, when he beat down Lappy for hitting Lidstrom, that was worth far more than anybody can imagine. That was a statement by Downey and the Red Wings that the days of clobbering our guys and nobody making you pay for it are over. Think back to the big hits and stretchers being wheeled out to carry of Lebda, Williams, Franzen, etc... Nobody ever did a thing until Downey went after Lappy.

So long as Downey keeps it simple, throws his body, does not become a liability on the ice and answers the bell when needed, he's worth every ******* penny we pay him or whomever we get to fill that role. But the role needs to be filled.